InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Fuyu no Shimekiri ❯ A New Cardinal Lord ( Chapter 18 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Chapter 18: A New Cardinal Lord

Kagome watched in awe as her daiyoukai assumed his true form... he was truly just as beautiful in it as he was in his humanoid form. As he raised his muzzle to the skies and roared his challenge at Hikari, she shuddered, a visceral reaction to the sudden flood of youki that cascaded over the region. She shook her head - the amount of power Sesshoumaru contained within his form was almost more than her mind could fathom, and she finally understood the seductiveness of true power.

It was intoxicating that a being of such lethal power was hers.

Abruptly pulled from her thoughts by the sudden screams and yells from the clash of weapons directly ahead of her, she reigned in her suddenly hentai mind and began once again pulling arrows, and sending them into the ranks of the enemy that was finally reaching the field. Her heart began beating fast - there were so many of them, they just kept pouring out of the trees.

Crap! And we've already been battling all morning -the soldiers are bound to be tired!

She completely ignored the sounds of the battle between her Lord and Hikari, there was no time for her to worry about it.

Besides, he's Sesshoumaru. He'll be fine.

She caught sight of General Hiro and a few of his men surrounded by neko's, and yelling for them to get down, she let loose another arrow, turning half the attacking soldiers to dust. Hiro waved a salute to her as he jumped back up and tore into the remaining youkai.

She waved back, then turned, just in time to avoid the soldier sneaking up behind her. Her eyes widened as she caught traces of his aura. She'd felt that aura before... on the remains of an arrow that had been shot at her in her own home.

"So it was Hikari that attempted to have me killed," she murmered. She shook her head sadly. "Too bad for you I'm immortal... you can't kill me." She frowned thoughtfully as she caught his confused look. "Well, I guess technically you could kill me, but I won't stay dead. It was just bad luck for you that he chose you as his assassin - because my Lord wants your blood for your attempt."

She shrugged as he narrowed his eyes and moved forward, a shouted, "Well, let's just see if you come back to life," barely leaving his mouth before he was on her.

As she'd said before, a flustered soldier was a dead soldier. Apparently, he hadn't expected to see her here, nor had he known she'd be able to tell who he was.

Fatal mistakes, as it turned out.

She landed on her back, with the samurai hovering above her, a shocked look on his face as he looked down to the arrow sticking out of his chest.

Kagome heaved him away from her and stared sadly at him. "You know, where I come from, there's a saying," she said. "Those who live by the sword, shall die by the sword. It's all relative, really, sword, arrow... it just means that maybe, you should have found another calling - it might have meant you'd have lived a lot longer."

She watched as the light faded in his eyes, then looked around. More soldiers from the north were still coming onto the field, but not as many, it looked to be just the stragglers, and she was pleased to see that the Western soldiers were handling themselves just fine, not really showing any signs of fatigue.

Still, she thought, as she climbed to her feet, nocked another arrow and let fly, right about now we could use some help, I swear. Hikari must have pulled every able-bodied youkai he had to bring this many against us.

She caught sight of Kanaye approaching her. "General Kanaye - I'm pleased to see you unhurt!" She smiled tiredly at him. "I wonder... would it be possible to capture one of Hikari's officers? I'd like some questions answered, and I doubt Sesshoumaru will leave enough of Hikari himself to be of much use in that regard."

Kanaye frowned thoughtfully. "I will see what I can do, my Lady. It is highly probable that when my Lord kills Hikari, his officers will surrender. There would, after all, be little use in continuing the fight at that point."

She nodded, then gestured at the dead man lying at her feet. "He was the one that attempted to assassinate me. He was under orders from Hikari to do so, and I'm sure we all know why," she said, rolling her eyes as Kanaye nodded. "But what I'd like to know, is why is the North here?"

Kanaye raised a brow as her question sunk in, turning and thrusting his sword into the neko attempting to catch him from behind, then smoothly withdrawing it and catching her gaze again.

She continued as they hit a clear patch, no more enemy soldiers anywhere near. "If they were allying themselves with the snakes, why didn't they just meet on a battlefield in the Western Lands?" She shook her head. "I think there has to be more to it. Coming all this way to team up with Hebikuro, only to turn around and retrace his steps back into our lands? And also," her eyes turning inwards for a moment. "how did they get here without us catching on? Did no one notice a hostile army marching lengthwise through either the western lands or the eastern lands?"

Kanaye nodded slowly. "I see your point, my Lady. There are several burning questions that need to be answered. I will attempt to get my hands on an officer."

She smiled at him brightly. "Okay. Well, I've caught my breath now, so it's time to go look up a few more neko's to kill." She waved a jaunty salute to him. "Catch you later, Kanaye. Watch your back!"

He shook his head, amused. She will make quite the Lady. Things will never be the same, I would bet my life on that.

He looked up as he caught sight of the Northern Lord flying through the air, obviously from a blow from Sesshoumaru, who quickly pursued the neko Lord.
He grinned. That's my Lord - playing with his prey again... his thoughts faded out as he turned back to the battle on the ground again.

Kagome had long since run out of arrows, and was simply sitting up high at the edge of the field in a tree, picking off neko soldiers one by one with bolts of purity. At the time she'd learned this particular trick, she hadn't thought much of it, not really taking the time to develop it as she probably should have - if she'd practiced with it, she'd probably be able to hit targets much farther off. As it was she could only catch them within about a hundred feet.

Just as she was about to target another group of enemy soldiers, she heard a battlecry she hadn't heard in over a hundred and forty years roar across the battlefield... and she almost fell out of the tree at the shock of it.

Inuyasha!

She watched, eyes wide, as the signature shockwave of the Wind Scar rolled across the field, destroying an entire regiment of neko that had still been in formation, only turning her head when she heard his voice yelling at her - it took her back, and for a moment, as she met his eyes, it was almost as though they were back in the past. A past where she loved him, and he loved Kikyou.

"What the fuck are you doing hiding in a damn tree, wench? The battle's over there, if you hadn't noticed! C'mon, let's go!"

She immediately flushed with temper at his derogatory tone. "Inuyashaaaa! I swear, if we weren't in the middle of a fight, I'd s-i-t you into a crater the size of Naraku's ego!"

He turned his head away sadly. "You can't, wench, you took the beads off almost a century and a half ago, remember?"

And that's when reality kicked back in, and she gasped. "Oh, yeah, right! So, what the hell are you doing here, dog boy?" She slid out of the tree and took off at a jog, heading back towards the battle. Looking up, she tried to squint through the sunlight, wondering where Sesshoumaru had gotten to, not in the least concerned with Inuyasha's presence.

The moment Sesshoumaru had caught his brother's youki, however, and heard him release Tessaiga's attack, he'd decided it was time to finish Hikari. He didn't want Inuyasha anywhere near his miko, especially alone, and if he didn't get down there, that's exactly where the half-breed would be.

Pulling back into his humanoid form, he addressed Hikari. "It is time to finish this, neko. You made the mistake of challenging me, and for that, you will die."

"Maybe I will die here, Sesshoumaru, but the North will never bow to you!"

"I do not want the North. Nonetheless, you will no longer be it's Lord."

Drawing Bakusaiga, he held it to his side as he poured his youki into it. The sword vibrated angrily with its master's hatred of the being before him, and Sesshoumaru pulled his arm across his body, then swung it forcefully outward, releasing a deadly wave of energy at its perihelion.

He watched with satisfaction as the former Lord was engulfed in the energy wave and completely disintegrated, ignoring the screams of outrage from the remaining neko soldiers as they witnessed the North's defeat. He sheathed his sword.

"Pathetic," he said, his tone derogatory.

Turning, he flew back towards the remains of the field that they'd been fighting in since morning, heading straight for the scent of his miko. He was enraged to find the scent of his disgrace of a brother near hers, and he landed hard in front of her, eyes flickering back and forth between red and gold.
"What are you doing here, half-breed?" he spat out, paying no heed to the rest of his army, or what remained of the Northern soldiers, in that moment intent only on his half-brother.

"Keh. Caught neko's sneakin' around on the borders of the western and eastern lands, and figured I'd come get some action. It's been awhile since I've had a decent fight." Inuyasha slung Tessaiga over his shoulder and stared cockily at his brother.

Sesshoumaru raised a single silver brow incredulously. "You think these," he gestured at the dead and dying neko surrounding them, "are 'a decent fight'?" He snorted his disgust. "You are still weak."

Before Inuyasha could say anything, Kagome moved forward and, shaking her head, started laughing. "Well, that's one thing that'll never change. Put you two anywhere near each other and the insults start flying."

Sesshoumaru glared at her. "Woman, stop that infernal laughing. You have laughed more today than I have ever heard from you before. It is unseemly to giggle your way through a battle."

She only laughed harder at his disdainful look.

Inuyasha began to chuckle. "Give it up, Sesshoumaru. Kagome will never do things the way you think they should be done. If there's a way for her to change things up, she'll find it."

He glared at his younger brother. "Hn. Still, you should not be here. Do not attempt to weasel your way back into her good graces, Inuyasha,or I will kill you. She is mine."

Kagome reached around from behind and hugged him to her, laying her head against his back. "It's okay, Maru-chan. Remember I told you," she murmered, "that even if he were here I wouldn't go to him? I love you."

Inuyasha heard her words, and the final tendril of hope in his heart died, turning his heart to dust within him. He turned away and gestured with his sword. "Keh. I'm gonna go see if there's anymore fighting going on. Maybe you should find some of your Generals so they can start restoring order around here."

He waved without turning his head. "See ya 'round, Kagome."

Kagome pulled away from Sesshoumaru for a moment, and called out, "Hey! Come visit the shiro in a month, Inuyasha... I'd really like to visit with you, believe it or not," she snickered, "I've actually missed your foul mouth."

He stopped, then looked back over his shoulder at her and his brother. "Sure. If you can keep Lord Asshole from being an asshole, and make him play nice, I'll think about it." He turned back and continued on his way, disappearing onto the erstwhile battlefield.

Kagome grinned, and moving to her Lord's side, hugged him around the waist. "You're not injured anywhere, are you?"

He snorted delicately. "What opponent that I have faced today did you think would be able to injure me, woman?"

She released him as she caught sight of Kanaye and Hiro approaching, still chuckling. "There's the arrogance I've come to know and love."

"My Lady, we have two of Hikari's now former officers that have agreed to speak with you and tell you as much as they know." Kanaye saluted his Lord as he finished speaking.

Sesshoumaru looked down at his Lady with a questioning expression.

"I've got several burning questions about what went on here today, koibito. Some things just don't make sense. Kanaye was nice enough to procure me some people that can answer my questions." She beamed at the General, who only blinked back bemusedly.

"I see. Would one of those questions be about the attempted assassination?"

Kagome glanced over at him and spoke just as Shippo walked up. "Actually, no. I already found out about that. I came face-to-face with the guy who did it, and killed him a little while ago. It was indeed on Hikari's orders."

Sesshoumaru felt a pulse of rage go through him at that, and seriously considered going and using Tensaiga to bring the bastard back, just so he could kill him again. Regretfully, he pulled that thought back in, and turning to his officers, asked, "Where is Taro? I would have you all join me and my Lady in this interrogation."

"He is actually overseeing the last bit of fighting along with Lord Koga. Most of the fighting ended when you slew their Lord, but a few are still attempting to resist."

"Hn. Very well. Send a few soldiers to set up the main tent, and bring the captives there. Kitsune, you will join us." Sesshoumaru waited as his orders were carried out, curious to see just what it was his soon-to-be-mate wanted to find out.

Shippo, meanwhile, had been glancing around. "It's a shame the snakes did so much damage to this land - it's beautiful here... my kitsune would love it."

"Well, there's still snakes around, but without their Lord, they'll just break down into clans again, probably fighting amongst themselves." Kagome tilted her head up and tapped a dainty finger against her chin. "I don't see why you can't take over these lands with your kitsune, do you, Maru-chan?"

Sesshoumaru looked down at his onna with an inward smirk, secretly enjoying her innocent look. "If the kitsune Lord is strong enough to take these lands, then they are his, koi. I have no desire for them, and with the death of the Southern Lord, they are open for the taking." He turned to Shippo. "I name you the new Cardinal Lord of the South, Lord Shippo." He glanced around him with a bland look. "You will have your work cut out for you, making this place livable again."

Shippo was staring at his mother and her daiyoukai suitor with shock. "Are you kidding me? Don't you need the other Lords to agree with your choice or something?"

"And who else is there to ask, kitsune?" He snorted. "There is no Lord in the North or the South, and only I and Koga are left. Do you really think Koga will argue once you mother tells him that it's what she wants? And as for whoever takes over the North - let's just say I doubt they will much care about who holds the south. They will be too busy trying to rebuild from the severity of their own losses on this day."

Shippo laughed at that. "Koga, huh? I guess you're right. He never could say no to her."

Kagome just smiled angelically, then slipped her hand into Sesshoumaru's and tugged him forward as Kanaye motioned that the tent was now ready. She looked over her shoulder at her son. "If he complains, just send him to me. I'll set him straight."

Word went out very quickly that the South had a new Lord. There would be much celebrating by the kitsune soldiers this night, and for many days to come.

They finally had a land of their own.