InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Hanging by a moment... ❯ Mother Knows Best ( Chapter 54 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Genre(s): General, Romance
Rating: P
Warnings: Mild Language
Word Count: 500





~ Mother Knows Best ~






Listening quietly as Mrs. Higurashi explained the concept of Christmas, the woman wisely leaving out the unnecessary foreign origins and what the holiday meant to other cultures, explaining only its modern day secular meanings in Japan, Inuyasha nodded slowly from his place at the kitchen table as he took it all in, understanding everything easily enough.

His time had festivals too, after all, so what was that difficult to understand? It was a winter festival where legend said a magical person brought children presents while they slept, while the adults found the night magical for different...adult reasons. He tried to swallow the lump in his throat as that thought lingered a moment. How could Kagome's mother have so jovially explained the romantic nature of Christmas Eve and what it meant for young people in love, and then turn around and invite him to stay for dinner that night? It was still a week away, and now he would be freaking out worse and worse as the night in question drew nearer, he just knew it.

If only he hadn't bothered asking what that fake pine tree with all the colorful crap on it was doing in the living room this never would have happened.

If only he hadn't bothered traveling through the well, waiting for Kagome's return on his side of time.

If only Kagome had gotten home from school on time and back in his time when scheduled, so that he wouldn't have needed to come get her in the first place.

It was all her fault, really.

Now what was he supposed to do? He knew Kagome's mom would tell her she'd invited him, but would she tell her she'd explained what it all meant? Could he pretend he didn't know? And if Kagome knew he did know then there was definitely no getting out of it. If he tried to get out of it she'd probably misunderstand and think that he didn't want to share Christmas dinner with her. That was a disaster in the making that the old him wouldn't have been smart enough to avoid, but he knew better these days.

He just wasn't sure if that was a good thing or a bad thing.

“I'm home!” was called from the other room, and his ears lowered as the lump reformed in his throat.

“Kagome, welcome back dear...” greeted her mother as she left the kitchen.

Aaaannnnddd there she goes explaining the whole damn thing... he thought resignedly, listening to the two in the living room.

Deciding he'd better face the music, he slowly entered the living room, blushing as he caught Kagome's own reddened cheeks. Mrs. Higurashi's knowing smirk went unnoticed by the both of them.

“So...uh...guess we'd better get going.” Kagome said. “Don't uh...don't want to be late getting back again.”

“Don't worry, I'll have you...I mean...we'll be back in time for Christmas.”

Kagome blushed again, but offered him a shy smile. Blushing as well, he returned it.