InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Hanging by A Moment ❯ Chapter 12 Interesting Occurrences ( Chapter 12 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Hanging by A Moment

by Lor

Ya'll better appreciate this chapter. I went from hell and back writing it. Sooo much pain!! :: sways:: If you don't know already, my right wrist is messed up. The bone is bruised and it hurts like bloody hell to write. And I'm bloody sick and feel like crap! And I still gave you a long chapter!!

And I noticed something when I glanced through some previous chapters. I had said I was going to enforce a minimum 10 reviews for an update once the fic reached 20,000 words. Well I totally missed that. Don't think I'll enforce it though..... I'll just make it 5 reviews, that's much nicer lucky readers...

Oh! Don't forget to vote in the poll....it'll affect future chapters....

Poll: (please vote even though the end of the fic is at least 15 chapters in the future)

How do you want the ending of this fic to be?

1 - A happy little ending

2 - A sequel

3 - Mysterious (this is the I'm leaning towards myself)

Vote in your review!

Remember to R&R! I need five reviews for this chapter before I'll put up the next one!

' .... ' thoughts

" ..... " dialogue

~ ...... ~ flashback or dream sequence

Special Thanks to Jelly and Endymion, my beta readers!

Before I start babbling again.....

Chapter 12

Interesting Occurrences

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

(Re-cap)

"What did you find out about Kags?" he demanded.

"Well someone seems just a bit worried," Akio said trying not to laugh.

Yash blinked, "What the hell are you doing on a bed with her! In her own bedroom!"

"Hello they're not alone in here!" Sango said waving at him.

"Stop acting like a protective older brother. Go back to protecting your lil' make-out buddy," Roru said as she poked him.

"Make-out buddy?"

"Yeah, Kagome. You two were doing something when I went down there."

"We were fighting!"

"Oh so that's what youkai call it?" Akio said with a laugh.

"How do I look?" The four in the room turned simultaneously towards the doorway.

Yash gulped, his eyes never moving away from the sight standing there, "Kags...."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The scratching of pencils and the rustling of papers echoed about the room as the teacher rambled on in front of the class, lecturing on the correct use of details in a thesis driven essay. Most students in the class were paying attention jotting down notes, a few in the back were sound asleep snoring quietly, but there was an exception to the group. She had rested her chin on the palm of her left hand as she gazed out the window onto the football field behind the school. With a soft sigh the girl, Kagome, dropped her pen and toned out from the teacher's speech, allowing her mind to wander to the events that happened the weekend before.....

~ "Wow! Emi was right that is a great swim suit!" Roru said as she smiled at her cousin as Akio nodded in agreement. Kagome wore an icy green bikini; the top clung to her body with the straps tying around her slender neck. The bottom was the usual bikini brief style, and was covered by a see through black sarong. She had twisted her long raven hair up into a clip, with some of her hair spilling over it, making it look messy yet cute. Yash was speechless and continued to stare at the woman standing in front of him. The only word in his mind he could use to describe her was Goddess.

"Uh, Yash...." Kagome said as she waved a hand in front of his face, "Is he alright?" Roru giggled, nearly falling off the bed as her body shook with suppressed laugher.

"You okay?" Akio said with a laugh helping Roru regain her balance on the bed. She nodded and looked between Yash and Kagome.

Sango just shook her head, a smile on her lips, "He's fine, or he will be once I do this." "Do what...." Kagome began to ask, but she didn't have time to finish as Sango had dumped a large glass of ice water over Yash's head.

"AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!"

Everyone in the room, minus Yash, burst into laughter as the hanyou jumped to his feet, broken from his stupor.

"That....Was.... Priceless!" Akio exclaimed between gasps for air as he continued to laugh. Out of nowhere a camera appeared in Roru's hand and she snapped some photos of the dripping wet Inu hanyou.

"What's all the laughing for?" Miroku asked popping his head in the room. His eyes went wide when he was Kagome standing there in her bikini. He quickly went over to her and got on one knee, taking her hands in his.

"Would you do the honor of baring my child?" Kagome gasped as her eyes went wide in shock.

SLAM!

Yash smacked Miroku to the floor with a loud bang, "Don't you EVER ask her that again! You have NO right to!" he yelled at the twitching lecher.

`Whoa....he's protective....' Roru thought watching Yash. She caught Kagome's eye and nodded towards Yash. Kagome could only shrug in response to her cousin's query of why Yash was being so protective of her.~

The final bell rang announcing the end of the school day that pulled Kagome out of her thought and back to the present reality.

`Oops...hope I didn't end up missing something important,' Kagome thought as she slipped her purse onto her shoulder and picked up her books. She followed her classmates out into the crowded hallway with a sigh.

`Only two more months `til I'm out of this place for good,' she thought as she pushed her way through the crowd heading towards her locker on the opposite end of the school. Within a few minutes the crowd in the hallways thinned, allowing her to get to her locker more easily. A few minutes later she turned down a new hallway and discovered an odd sight.

It was her cousin walking down the hall with headphones on, and wearing extremely baggy black jeans and a skin tight black T-shirt with a huge fuzzy purple beanie on her head.

"What the hell?" Kagome said aloud as she approached her cousin. Roru however, was oblivious and continued to walk down the hall, her head bopping along with the beat of the music she was listening to.

"RORU!" Kagome yelled getting right in her face.

"AHHHHHHHHHH!!!" Roru screamed jumping back a few feet.

"What the fuck are you yelling for?!" Roru practically yelled as she slid her headphones down to rest around her neck.

Kagome huffed and crossed her arms, "Because you were damn bloody oblivious to the world with those headphones on. And where the hell did you get that hat?"

Roru laughed as she pressed the pause button on the silver CD player that was clipped to her waist, "I swiped it from Crispy."

"Crispy?" Kagome repeated raising an eyebrow.

"One of my friends in orchestra, and before you go on about how it's wrong to swipe things; he knows I have Fluffy."

"Fluffy?"

"The hat, I named him Fluffy."

"You named a hat Fluffy!?"

Roru laughed nodding her head, "Crispy had just bout the same reaction, though he did end up laughing...." she finished thoughtfully as she tapped a finger on her chin.

While they were talking, the two had walked down to Kagome's locker. "You know you should get someone to fix that lock," Roru said leaning up against a nearby locker as she watched Kagome bang on her locker trying to get it open.

"And what do you suggest they do? Use a blow torch on it?" Kagome said annoyance in her voice, glaring over at Roru who was now not paying attention to her cousin.

"Cool! An Open Mic! I've been wanting to go to one of those! I'll drag Akio along.... Oh! I need to dig up some of my writings too!" Roru rambled on to herself as she analyzed a flyer on the wall opposite of Kagome's locker.

Kagome rolled her eyes as she finally got her locker to creek open, "You're going to miss something one of these days with your random attention spans."

"AHHH!" Kagome spun around to see Roru pinned to the opposite wall, a guy dressed in all black holding her there.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"Oi Yash!" a voice called causing the hanyou in question to turn towards the sound.

"What do you want Miroku?" Yash asked not moving from his spot leaning against his car. The lecher jogged over to Yash, the chains on his baggy jeans clinking together in the process.

"Wondered what you're still doing here for. Waiting for someone?" Miroku said ending with a wink earning a glare from the Inu hanyou.

"I'm waiting for Kagome, and don't you get anything perverted going on in your head. I'm doing Roru a favor."

"Oh and what would that be?" Miroku asked crossing his arms over his dark gray T-shirt.

"She said she needed the car for something and just wanted me to give Kagome a lift home," Yash responded glaring at him, "Nothing else gutter brain."

Miroku fake stumbled back, putting a hand over his heart, "Your words hurt me!" Yash rolled his eyes and glanced at the main doors waiting for Kagome to emerge.

Miroku forced himself not to smirk as he watched the hanyou, `He has no clue that Roru's trying to hook him up with Kagome. And it's working!'

"You bastard!" Miroku and Yash's attention instantly snapped to where the yell came from. Not a moment later, Roru came stomping out of the school with Akio and Kagome following close behind.

"I can't believe you did that! You are so lucky your arm hasn't completely healed yet!!" Roru yelled at Akio when he grabbed her arm in attempt to calm her down as the two slowly made their way towards the others.

"What happened?" Yash asked Kagome when she reached him and Miroku.

She throw her things in the back of Yash's car before responding, "He pulled a stupid stunt to scare her." Miroku suddenly burst out laughing; a hand braced on the hood of Yash's car was the only thing holding him up.

"What's so funny?" Kagome demanded.

"That!" was all the perverted teen could say as he pointed over at Roru and Akio.

"Well they've certainly solved their differences," Yash put it simply as Kagome and he looked to see what had amused Miroku so much. Instead of fighting, Roru and Akio were now making out right there in the open.

A slight blush crept over Kagome's cheeks as she looked at her cousin, "Definitely seems so."

"WHOOOOOOOOO Go Akio!!" Miroku whooped after he stopped laughing at the couple. Roru and Akio instantly split apart, both their faces flushed.

"Mind your own business!" Roru yelled at Miroku as she struggled to get the blush on her face to disappear. Akio's eyes narrowed at the cheering Miroku, who instantly shut up when Roru shot him a death glare.

"Sooooo what are we doing tonight?" Kagome asked in effort to change the subject.

Roru's eyes lit up, "Open Mic! We have to go!"

"What the hell is Open Mic? What's so great `bout it?" Yash asked returning to his leaning stance against his car.

"It's like Coffee houses. People sit around drink coffee, read poetry and stuff. It's so much fun! Even some bands play."

Akio slipped an arm around Roru's waist, "If she wants to go I'm in."

Yash just shrugged, "Don't have anything better to do," he said getting a glare from Roru.

"Stop acting like it's so bad!"

"Feh."

"I'm sure Sango would love to go, I'll call her when I get home."

"Sango? I'm in!" Miroku said as everyone gave him an odd look.

"What?" Roru shook her head, "Let's just meet at Jazz Mocha at six. It starts at six thirty."

"So why at six?"

"To get good seats! Don't be late!" she chirped in response to Yash's question. Not even a minute later she and Akio walked away, presumably towards Akio's car in the upper parking lot.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The sun had set nearly an hour earlier and the moon had slowly risen into the magnificent blue sky. One the few people to be seen on the street that night was a teenage girl, who wore a long black leather skirt with slits on either side that reached within a foot of her waist, with a black tube top with a button down see through black long sleeve shirt over it. Around her neck was a silver chain with a Celtic cross pendant, which glittered in the early moonlight. She was sitting on the hood of a silver Jaguar XKR, her long golden blond hair glittering in the gentle wind.

"Why are they late!?" she complained as she crossed her ankles that were covered by a pair of knee height black leather heeled boots.

Her boyfriend, who stood nearby wearing long, extremely baggy black jeans with an oversized black sweatshirt along with a pair of black Vans, glanced at his watch before he responded, "Roru, it's only 5:55 pm."

"Oh," she laughed as she looked over at him, "Guess I'm just anxious. I used to go to these all the time. It's such a rush standing up there in front of tons of people reciting works you've written." Akio nodded and leaned up against the outside of Java Mocha, his ice blue eyes twinkling as he watched her lay back against the windshield.

A screeching of tires could be heard as a dark purple Lexus GX470 stopped quickly just behind Akio's Jag. "AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!" Roru screamed as it came to a stop, mere feet away from her.

"Sorry we're late!" Kagome said as she slid out of the backseat of the Lexus and was soon followed by Sango. Akio helped Roru slide off the hood of his car so she could stand beside him.

"Why the hell did you have to stop like that!? You scared the hell out of me!"

"Hehe," Miroku said stepping onto the sidewalk. "Sorry bout that. I wanted to test the new brakes," he finished scratching the back of his head.

"Feh, he just wanted to see your reaction."

Roru's eyes narrowed, "I WILL get my revenge!"

"Let's just go inside. You did want to get decent seats right?" Kagome, the peacekeeper, said.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The room was dark, some of the only light came from the lit candles placed at various places, along with some dim lights back at the counter were people were placing orders for snacks and drinks. The main source of light came from the stage in the main part of the room. A spot light was centered on the middle of the stage, lighting up a lone black stool and a microphone. Not many details of the coffee house could be seen by the naked eye, one could easily see the small dark wooden tables with the candles centered in the middle with matching chairs. There were also dark colored plush chairs and couches, which either had a dark wooden coffee table or end table nearby, which seemed to be the favored spot as many couples and groups were seated there. When someone would try to figure out the meaning of the layout they would discover that things didn't seem to have a plan to them; it was as if relaxation, comfort and a laid back atmosphere were the main priorities of the establishment's owner.

Nearly two hours had passed since the group had first entered Jazz Mocha. Those who hadn't been there before instantly felt comfortable in the environment, and the group split into couples, seated in different places throughout the coffee house. Yash and Kagome choose to sit towards the middle of the group of couches and chairs. They sat side by side on a dark green couch each holding a dark blue mug containing their choice of coffee. They watched people speak as the soft light of a candle on the coffee table flickered over their faces. Over at one of the tables, Miroku and Sango sat sharing a small plate of biscotti as they drank their coffee. A calm feeling surrounded them, as Miroku had not tried to grope her for the past hour and a half. The last couple were seated up near the stage, as they were the ones most into the events surrounding them. Roru and Akio sat cuddled together on one of the dark blue oversized plush chairs, their eyes focused on the teenage girl who was reciting a poem on the stage.

The girl sat there on the lone stool reciting a poem that she had written from memory. She had seemed nervous when she had first began the poem she had entitled, Mister Radio, but with each passing word her voice had become stronger.

Tell them


Still, the songs fade to nothing


Still, our peace is false


Still, mister radio, we keep on believing


That the rain that falls is just rain,


When really the many tears fall,


The drops of blood fall,


On the last night of forever.



Please, mister radio, tell them for me


Tell them I love them, let them see


Where the truth keeps hidden, wherever it may be

When the last word was uttered, everyone in the coffee house clapped. The teenage girl beamed as she left the stage to join her friends in the back. A few moments passed, and no one had risen to take the girl's place on stage.

"Should I?" Roru asked Akio softly not wanting to disturb anyone around them.

"Go for it! Your poems are great, you know that," he responded giving her a nudge to go up on stage. She smiled and gave him a quick kiss before she stood and walked onto the stage.

Yash watched Roru walk onto the stage, surprise evident on his face. "I didn't know that Roru wrote anything," he said softly to Kagome.

She slid closer to him so she could respond without earning them another glare from the people sitting only a few feet in front of them. "She's been writing for years," Kagome whispered to him. Yash simply nodded when he discovered the information. He slid his arm up behind Kagome and rested his arm around her shoulders, pulling her closer to him. She smiled and cuddled up against him, a hand resting on his leg as they watched Roru take a seat on the stage. Then Yash did something that completely took Kagome by surprise. He used his other hand to tip her face up to look at his, before lowering his head to capture her lips in a gentle kiss.

`Was as good of a time as any,' Yash thought after the kiss ended. He looked down at Kagome to see her smiling. He smiled softly, `Guess she liked the kiss.' Yash tightened his arm around her shoulders slightly as Roru began to speak.

"Hey everyone, I'm Roru Higurashi. I haven't been up here to read any of my works before, though you might recognize me since I'm in the jazz group that will be performing here tomorrow night." She stopped speaking when some members of the audience began cheering,

`Fans of the jazz group I suppose,' she thought as the cheers died down.

"I have a few poems that I'd like to read to ya'll. They're a few of my favorites of mine that I've written over the years. These two however, are ones that I've written in the past few weeks. I hope you enjoy them," she said with a smile.

"The first one is titled, Inspiration." Roru paused for a moment to organize her thoughts before she began to recite her poem,

There without notice or care

Appears in an instant

But may suddenly drift away

It's held deep inside

Within the depths of ones soul

Hidden from the masses

Until it's story must be told

It comes in many forms

But is always kept close

Drawn in never to leave

Becomes a part of you

Until you leave for the next world

Inspiration is a special part of me

It is united through-out the universe

Begging for its story to be told

As Roru had recited the poem, her eyes had been focus out of the crowd as so she wasn't really looking at anything. She was worried about what the crowd's reaction would be, but as she uttered the final word the place was filled with people clapping and yelling praise. A smile appeared on her lips as she looked at the faces of those in the crowd.

When the clapping died down she spoke once again, "Thanks! I'm glad you liked it. I have one more poem, and then I'll get off the stage before I start annoying anyone," she finished in good humor.

"This last one I've titled, Life, and I think basically everyone will be able to find a personal meaning behind it."

Seconds Minutes Hours

The minutes pass slowly

Anxious thoughts plague my mind

How will things turn out?

How will things end?

Moments pass

Time slowly slips by

As water dripping through your fingers

Missed memories

Wishing they would return

Years go by

As though they were mere minutes

Some memories stay forever

Some slip away quickly

Time always goes on

Everyone gets older

Some things may never change

Others will change drastically

One thing that can be counted on

Life will always continue

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

There you go! Finally finished it! Ya'll have no idea how long it took me to write this!

I would like to say a special thanks to Ashuli for letting me use part of her poem, Mister Radio. The other poems I used were written by me. Didn't know I could write poetry until I went to an Open Mic at my school last week, people seem to like them at least.

Oh!! Fluffy and Crispy actually exist, so if you wanted to use them in anything (even though I doubt it) you can't. Another thing, if you want to use my poetry for anything just let me know and give me props for it. Also if anyone wants to see more of it, let me know and I'll just add another poem in an author's note.

Don't forget to R&R and vote in the poll!

- Lor