InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Hanging by A Moment ❯ Chapter 1 Life Moves On ( Chapter 1 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Hanging by A Moment

by Lor

Before I write each chapter I'm going to have my author's notes. I hope even one will enjoy reading this fic. Just to warn you, this fic was rated R for a good reason. Un, all the reasons won't show up right away, but believe me it's for a reason beyond all the cursing I use. I'm going to update as often as I can. Which might only be once a week, but who knows I MIGHT be able to update more often then that, it all depends on how much school work I get and how long I'll be able to get out of gym! lol I got a lot of inspiration for this fic from the CD No Name Face by Lifehouse. But some of this fic will turn out kind of dark. At least that's what I'm thinking now but it might change. Just because I get inspiration from Lifehouse doesn't mean everything is going to be like their music if you understand what I'm saying. You probably got that from reading the prologue. Un, this is a long author's note but all the future ones will be shorter.

` .... ' thoughts

" ..... " dialogue

~ ...... ~ flashback

Chapter 1

Life Moves On

~*~*~

~After the death of Ryota Higurashi, the lives of the Higurashi family were drastically changed. A week after the fire, the funeral took place. It was held on a cloudy day in the spring. All the firefighters in the city had attended to show their respects to the late Fire Chief, Ryota Higurashi. His casket was a dark rose wood, as it went down the streets people had placed flowers on top. Everyone in Tokyo had known him. Ryota had saved countless lives as a firefighter. As the city's youngest Fire Chief in history, his death was greatly mourned.

Young Kagome Higurashi stood between her Oka-san and Oji-san at the funeral. Her elder cousin, Roru stood beside her father holding his had. Both girls wore a simple black dress that reached their knees and black Mary Janes. Kagome's long raven hair was pulled into a half pony tail resting on her back. Roru being a year older, had her golden blonde hair straight down brushing her back. Kagome looked at her cousin, then her Oka-san's sobbing face, then at her younger brother Sota.

`Sota will never know Daddy' Kagome frowns as tears drip down her face. She looks at her Oji-San Taro.

"Oji-san?"

Taro looked down at his young mei, sorrow filled his eyes.

"What Kagome-chan?" in a mournful voice.

"Is Daddy really gone? Won't he come back?"

Her father's casket is lowered into the ground. Suzu begins to sob harder, holding Sota close to her. Roru clutched her father's hand and looked at Kagome.

"Your father's gone Kagome-chan he won't be able to come back" He kneels done to Kagome, letting go of Roru's hand and wraps Kagome up in a hug and picks her up. Kagome crying hard.

"I want my Tou-chan!" Kagome says between sobs.

Her Oji-san rubs her back soothingly. "It'll be alright Kagome-chan......"

Roru looked at Kagome, tears silently streaming down her face.

"Tou-chan is right, Kagome-chan. Everything will be okay" She tries to give Kagome an encouraging smile.

A gentle rain begins to fall.~

Kagome Higurashi quickly sat up in her bed. Her hair flying all over in the quickness to wake up. It was 11 years after her father's death. She was now a beautiful 17-year-old girl.

`Every year the same dream......or should I say nightmare'

She sat up and swung her legs over the side of her bed. She was wearing pale blue PJ pants and a matching t-shirt with a moon on it. Kagome turned her head and looked at her calendar on the pale blue colored wall.

`April 6th......Same dream, same day every year......'

She climbed out of her bed and slowly walked over to her closet, dragging her feet on the cream colored carpet.

`Guess I should get dressed.....' She opens her closet door when she heard on knock on her bedroom door.

"Come in" She said in a depressed voice.

Kagome turned to see Roru walk in, wearing plaid PJ shorts and a white tank top and holding two mugs of coffee.

"I thought you could use a pick-me-up this morning" Roru said handing her the deep blue colored mug.

"Thanks" Kagome replied taking a sip. "Irish Mocha, my favorite"

Roru nods, "Drink up and get dressed. It's my day to drive and I don't want to be late. Meet you in the kitchen at 7:30." And with that Roru left her foot steps heading down the hall to her own room.

Roru had been living with Kagome's family since her parents died in a car crash four years earlier. Ever since Kagome's father had died all those years ago the cousins had become extremely close, more like sisters then cousins.

Kagome glances over at the clock on her wooden nightstand.

`I have an hour to get dressed.....I so don't want to have to go to school today.....'

She opened her closet door and looked around inside trying to decide what to wear before she got in the shower. After ten minutes of arguing with herself about what clothes she decided on a low cut lavender shirt that had extra long flowing sleeves and a pair of low rider jeans. Kagome pulled the clothes out of the closet and laid them on her bed as she grabbed her pink tarry cloth bathrobe.

`Might as well get this day over with....'

Kagome opened her bedroom door and headed down the hall to the bathroom.

~*~

Roru walked down the hall her fluffy black slippers dragging on the carpet.

`I feel bad for Kagome......she saw her father die.....'

She turns the doorknob and enters her room. The walls were covered in movie posters, and pictures of her favorite bands. Roru walked over to her bed and flopped down onto the bedspread, which was midnight blue with stars and moons.

`At least she still has one of her parents.....Why am I acting all depressed today? Well besides the fact there's school today....' She quietly laughs to herself at her pathetic attempt to cheer herself up and grabs her stereo remote.

"What I need right now is some music!" Roru hits a button and the stereo begins to blasting one of her favorite songs, Minority by Green Day.

She began searching through her closet for clothes to wear that day, as the music came on Roru began to sing along.

"wanna be the minority

I don't need your authority

Down with the moral majority

Cause I want to be the minority

I pledge allegiance to the underworld

One nation under dog here of which I stand alone

A face in the crowd

Unsung against the mold

Without a doubt, singled out

The only way I know"

Roru grabbed a pair of baggy jeans from the closet and flung them onto the bed, then grabbed a silver chain belt and threw it on top of them. She began singing louder getting into the music.

`Music always gets me into a good mood!'

"I want to be the minority

I don't need your authority

Down with the moral majority

Cause I want to be the minority

Stepped out of the line

Like a sheep runs from the herd

Marching out of time

To my own beat now...

The only way I know

One light, one mind

Flashing in the dark

Blinded by the silence of a thousand broken hearts

For crying out loud, she screams unto me

A free for all, fuck them all

You are your own sight"

Roru steps into her closet, which was a mess, trying to grab one of her favorite shirts, a dark green low cut tank top, that she always wore under her knee length leather vest. She grabs the shirt and vest and falls backwards out of the closet onto a pile of clothes still singing along to the CD.

"I want to be the minority

I don't need your authority

Down with the moral majority

Cause I wanna be the minority

One light, one mind

Flashing in the dark

Blinded by the silence of a thousand broken hearts

For crying out loud, she screams unto me

A free for all, fuck them all

You are your own sight"

Roru begins to laugh at her clumsiness as she finishes singing the song. Someone starts banging on her bed room door.

"I want to be the minority

I don't need your authority

Down with the moral majority

Cause I wanna be the minority"

Roru grumbled and turned down the stereo. Then walked to the door, not an easy task since she had random things thrown all over the floor.

"What Sota?" She said once she got the door to open.

"Oka-san said to turn down the music, and that breakfast will be ready in a half hour."

"Alright Sota, now go away so I can get dressed!" Roru said ruffling Sota's hair. Sota just grumbled and walked away fixing his hair.

"Grumpy" Roru always got in a good mood after singing, Minority.

She went over to her bed and began to get dressed (she had gotten a shower the night before). After she had put her outfit on she stood in front of her floor length mirror, and adjusted her tank top, so that her Oba-san would let her leave the house. Then she began to brush her waist long, golden blond hair.

"Now where did I leave my sneakers......" The search for Roru's missing black Vans began.......

~*~

Kagome stepped into her bedroom, her hair wrapped up in a fluffy blue towel on her head, her body covered in her bathrobe. She grabbed her stereo and began to blast a song that she found fit her mood best at this moment, Tell All My Friends I'm Dead by New Found Glory. As Kagome got dressed she began to quietly sing along.

"tell all my friends i'm dead

i'm leaving you

this time it's for good

tell all my friends that i'm dead

it won't be long before you'll forget my name

can't you tell that i'm losing myself?

I think i'm trying too hard to

let it show

to let you know

don't trace your footsteps back to me

I've been gone for a long time

waiting on the sidelines

hoping for a chance to play

well I thought I would never leave anything behind

I also never thought I'd say"

Kagome took off her bathrobe and began to get dressed.

"tell all my friends i'm dead

i'm leaving you

this time it's for good

tell all my friends that i'm dead

it won't be long before you forget my name

can't you tell that I don't know myself?

I need someone to remind me

to let it go

please let me know

don't trace your footsteps back to me

I've been gone for a long time

waiting on the sidelines

hoping for a chance to play

well I thought I would never leave anything behind

I also never thought I'd say"

She pulled on her shirt and jeans. Then she walked over to her vanity and started to brush her long raven hair. Kagome pulled her hair up into a high pony tail with 2 pieces left down to frame her face.

"tell all my friends i'm dead

i'm leaving you

this time it's for good

tell all my friends that i'm dead

it won't be long before you forget my name

and if I had the chance to do it all again

I wouldn't expect anything less

and if I had the chance to do it all again

I wouldn't expect, I wouldn't expect

any thing less

tell all my friends i'm dead

i'm leaving you

this time it's for good

tell all my friends that i'm dead

it won't be long before you forget my name"

Kagome walked over to her bed and pulled on her white Adidas with the three silver stripes on the sides. Roru knocked on the door and walked in as Kagome sang the last line of the song.

"forget my name"

"Such an uplifting song Kags. Couldn't you think of anything more depressing?" Roru joked.

"Oh be quiet Ror" Kagome smiled slightly. "You just listened to Minority right?"

"Yep! After being her with Little Miss Depressed Teen I had to listen to it, you got me all depressed! Come one" Roru pulled Kagome to her feet. "Oba-san should have breakfast by now. I smell pancakes!"

Roru and Kagome ran down the stairs and into the kitchen to see Suzu setting a plate stacked with pancakes on the table. Suzu smiled at them. But Roru could tell it was forced.

"Good Morning girls eat up! Oh and could you drop Sota off at school today?"

Roru had just shoved a large piece of pancake into her mouth but still replied a muffled "Sure"

The girls finished their breakfast in 5 minutes flat and grabbed their travel mugs of coffee, along with their backpacks. Roru's a dark gray, Kagome's was yellow.

"Sota! Come on or we'll leave without you!" Roru yelled to her cousin.

"Ah, Give me five minutes! I'm playing my PS2!"

"If we do we'll end up being late! Hurry up Sota!" Kagome yelled

"Fine Fine....." Sota grumbled turning off his PS2 and joining the two girls.

They walked outside to Roru's car, a midnight blue Audi TT convertible,

(which is also this author's dream car) and climbed in. Roru started the engine and zoomed out of the driveway and down the road.

"Roru you can slow down!" Sota yelled holding onto the door handle for dear life.

"We still need to pick up Sango and her brother Kohaku! I almost forgot that Sango asked for a ride since her cars in the shop!" Roru speed down the road, taking a sharp right onto another road towards Sango's house. Sota's knuckles were turning white from holding on, Kagome acted like it was perfectly normal to drive this fast and put a CD into the CD player. Soon Lifehouse's CD No Name Face was blasting out of the speakers.

Five minutes later, Roru brought the car to a screeching stop in front of a brick, two story house, and was honking the horn. With in seconds Sango came running out of the front door wearing a long denim skirt and a white long sleeve shirt with a pair of sandals. Kohaku came outside a few seconds after her in baggy jeans and a t-shirt with sneakers. The two quickly slide into the back seat, and Roru drove quickly off down the road.

"Thanks for the ride Ror!" Sango said acting normal like Kagome. Kohaku was like Sota but was holding onto the seat in front of him, with white knuckles.

"No problem!" Roru said taking a hand off the steering wheel to take a sip of coffee. "It's not like you guys live out of the way or anything!" Roru steered quickly to the right to dodge sideswiping a little old lady.

"We're here! All passengers that are the age 12 please step out of the car!" Roru said laughing, 8 minutes later. Sota and Kohaku quickly got out of the car and onto the curb in front of their school.

"We'll pick you up at 3:30!" Kagome called. Sota and Kohaku exchange a glace.

"Oh that's okay we'll just walk" Kohaku said.

"You sure it's a long way to walk" Roru replied.

"We're sure" Sota and Kohaku said at the same time.

"All right see you later!" Roru said and the car zoomed off down the road narrowly missing a school bus.

"Thank god" Kohaku said to Sota who nodded as they entered the Jr. High.

~*~

Roru drove the car into the high school's parking lot. Parking next to a silver Jaguar convertible. The girls got out of the car, grabbing their stuff with them.

"Who's car is that?!" Roru said as she walked around the Jaguar. Kagome just crossed her arms and leaned against Roru's Audi.

"Who really cares? It's a car, Ror."

"A nice ass car! Black leather interior" She looks inside the car. "Automatic steering, 5 disk CD player, bucket seats, looks like a 300 horse power engine...." A guy with jet black hair and ice blue eyes walks over.

"Actually it's a 350 horse power" Roru turns and looks at the guy. "Who are you?" The guy smiles. "I'm Akio Rigufutsu."

"Roru Higurashi. That's my cousin Kagome Higurashi" She points to Kagome. "And that is Sango Misorasku" Roru points to Sango.

The warning bell rings signaling for people to head to homeroom.

"Come on Roru we should get to class." Sango grabs Roru's arm.

`Life isn't fair. Roru seems to hit it off with this guy. Sango has her entire family around her. I have nothing. My life has basically sucked ever since my father died......" a tear silently drips down Kagome's cheek.

"Kagome?" Roru turns away from Akio.

"I'll see you later. Maybe we could go to lunch Roru?"

Roru turns to Akio quickly and smiles "Sure" She scribbles something down on a piece of paper and hands it to Akio. "That's my cell. Call me later?" Roru smiles. "Un, bye" Akio walks off heading into the school. Roru turns to Kagome.

"You alright Kags?" Roru put a hand on Kagome's arm. Kagome just waves an arm dismissing Roru's question. "Come on Kagome we know you too well. Something is bothering you" Sango said sitting on the trunk of the Audi. "Life just isn't fair! I have my father's death haunting me, Roru just met a guy, Sango you have your entire family what do I have?" Kagome looked down at the ground. Sango was speechless `Does she really think her life is this bad?"

"Ok Kags end the pity party and lets get to class. I don't feel like getting detention for this. You have a good life. You have your Oka-san, you have Sota, you have us." Roru smiles. "How bad can life be if you have people that care?" Kagome laughs "You sounded all spiritual and knowable" Roru looks horrified "Let's just get to class Kags." The three grab there things and run into the school.

~*~*~

Wasn't that interesting! I was trying to make it a little less dark. Just a warning the next chapter is going to go dark again. But from a different characters point of view. R&R!