InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Hanging by A Moment ❯ Chapter 3 Painful Memories ( Chapter 3 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Hanging by A Moment

by Lor

Here is where my "cheery" author's note should go. But I'm not at all cheerful. So it's a good time for me to write cuz I don't want my fic to be all happy anyway, writing while depressed will keep it from being happy. Oh one happy thing....one...chapter 2 was the longest chapter I have ever written, contained the most words I have ever written for a chapter 3795 which it almost a thousand words longer then chapter 1 which was 2819. Yeah so that's the happy. Warning to happy people, I doubt this chapter will have much happiness in it. But I will attempt some. Oh I think I should mention that I got the inspiration to write this fic from Let the Music Be Your Master by Greywolf. Though most of my ideas are original, the one idea I know I definitely got from that fic was incorporating music into the story.

R&R Please!

` .... ' thoughts

" ..... " dialogue

~ ...... ~ flashback

Chapter 3

Painful Memories

~*~*~

Roru ran down the ugly colored hallways towards the senor parking lot, knocking over some vertically challenged freshmen along the way. "Annoying shrimpy lil freshies always have to get in the way!" She complained as she dodged a wandering freshy. (AN: Oh I may be stereotyping freshies but they are insanely annoying at my school) "Watch it!" a freshy yelled as he was pushed through the crowded hall into a gray colored locker. Roru spun around, now walking backwards, to flick off the freshy in question. `Stupid freshies think they own the world' Roru thought as she turned back around. She walked directly into a male body that happened to be in her way, "Uh, sorry" she said. As she looked up her eyes went wide. "Oh gods....," Roru whispered as she saw the guy's face.

~*~

"What's your problem?" Yash said as he gave Kagome an odd look, his left eyebrow slightly raised. Kagome sighed, "Can you just give me a ride home? I'll meet you out front of the school in 10" Kagome grabbed her bag, and then she turned on her heel and exited the room thinking, `Life bites.' (AN: hey that sounds like me)*

Miroku turned and looked at Yash, "You always seem to find the good ones, don't ya?" Yash growled, "Shut up lecher, I didn't do anything! You're the one who asked her to bear your child!" "Now did I say you did something?" Yash glared at Miroku, "You implied it" "Since when do I imply anything?" "Moron" Miroku raised an eyebrow, "How am I the moron? You're the one that scared Kagome off." Yash rolled his eyes, "No it was your lecherous shit" "Un, like you were Mr. Golden Sunshine!" "Be quiet, your acting more immature then me and I'm younger then you two!" Shippo said intervening in the argument. Miroku and Yash both moved to give Shippo the death glare. "What are you saying? It's my fault Kagome went all weird!?" Shippo rolled his eyes, "I referred to nothing of the sort, Yash. I've seen her around school she's never seemed like the happy, normal type." "Didn't her dad die awhile back?" Miroku commented. "Un, and didn't Roru's parents die a few years ago?" Yash just looked between them, suddenly remembering something from the past. "I'll see you guys later. Meet me at my car, I'm gonna go find Kagome." With that Yash left the room, slamming the door closed behind him.

"What's with everyone acting all weird today?" Shippo asked looking at his remaining friend. Miroku's only reply was a shrug. "So ya think if he finds Kagome that she's gonna smack him or hug him?" Shippo said causing both of them to laugh.

~*~

"Hello Roru" "Kyro...I thought..." Roru said taking a step away from Kyro. Kyro was dressed in all black, with a bandana tied around his head holding back his long black hair. "Thought what? That I was gone? You should know i'm never gone, Roru." Kyro said looking down at her. "But I was there...I saw you get arrested that night." Roru said, fear in her eyes. "Police are easily bribed" Kyro said stepping towards her, a smart ass grin on his face. "But...but...you were supposed be in jail for 10-20 years!" Roru said backing further away, "That was only three years ago!" Kyro just shook his head with a malicious smile on his face, "That's only what you think happened..." Once again he moved towards Roru, causing her to back away into a locker. Unfortunately for Roru the once crowded hallway, was now empty. "Kyro get away from me." "But why should I? We were close once" Kyro rubbed a hand along her right arm, "We could become close again" he grasped her arm "Don't you want that again?" Kyro's dark eyes were piercing into hers.

Roru began to panic and frantically looked for someone to help her, finding no one nearby to yell to. "Kyro please....." she said trying not to cry. "What Roru?" he said gently running his free hand across her left cheek, "Am I scaring you?" His evil smile getting wider to show his sharp teeth.

~*~

Akio turned down a hallway heading towards his car in the parking lot, to see a guy trapping a terrified girl against the lockers, holding her in place. After a double take to see who the girl was, `Roru?' Akio walked down the hall and calmly tapped on the guy's right shoulder, intent on saving Roru.

~*~

Roru looked past Kyro to see a guy, her eyes slightly widening as she recognized him. Quietly she said, "Akio....help..." Kyro didn't seem to hear her speak, yet he tightened his grip on her arm. Akio reached and tapped on Kyro's shoulder. "Go away. Can't you see I'm busy!" Kyro said turning. "Un, I noticed" Akio took aim and punched Kyro right in the face, giving Roru a chance to slip out of his grasp and to his side. Kyro slid down the wall, his nose bleeding. "Yarou" Kyro said wiping blood off his face. Akio put a protective arm around Roru's waist and pulled her to him. "You're the Yarou." Akio said glaring at Kyro then he punches Kyro again, causing his head to bounce off the lockers, knocking him unconscious.

~*~

Kagome quickly left the music wing, her hair swinging behind her ash she walked; Kagome was heading for Sango's locker. "Kags wait up!" She stopped and turned around to see Yash running towards her. "What do you want?" she said glaring, a slight depressed sigh in her voice. "I want to know what your deal is! One second you're well normal then you go all wak." Yash said leaning against a nearby wall. "I don't have a deal! I just happen to have a life that's basically a living hell." "Oh, a living hell you say?" Yash's eyes narrow, "I'm the one that knows about living in hell."

"What has everyone died around you for like the past ten years?" Kagome said putting her hands on her hips, her brown eyes narrowing at him. "No only my parents and my girlfriend." Yash said in a somber voice, his golden eyes casting down towards the tiled floor. "Wha-what? How?" Kagome's eyes went wide. "Un, three months ago, in a car crash, I was the only survivor." Kagome put a hand over her mouth, which was open in shock, "Oh my gods...I'm so sorry!" Yash just shrugged, "I don't like talking `bout it much." The two of them settled into a depressed silence, neither one looking at the other.

"Uh, you wanted to know what my "deal" was?" Kagome said using her fingers to put quotes around deal. Yash looked at her face. "Today is the anniversary of my father's death. He died 11 years ago. We were really close." She said looking at the ground, "My life hasn't been that great since then, lots of people leaving and dieing all around me. It's kinda been the same for Roru. My Oka-san's around un, but she works all the time, and when she is around she's always forcing herself to appear happy. But Roru, my brother, Sota, and I can easily tell it's faked. The shrine doesn't bring in much money anymore, not since my Ji-chan died 3 years ago, so we've been living off inheritance. Even though there's a lot there my Oka-san is convinced the money going to disappear suddenly." Kagome just rattled off, some what relieved to talk to someone besides Roru about her problems. "Then there's also the fact that most of the student body thinks I'm a snob just because I have inheritance and I'm just not that social...few people really understand what it's like...." Kagome looked up from the floor and at Yash, "Uh sorry....I didn't mean to...." Yash shrugged, "No big deal." (AN: I seem to make Yash shrug a lot don't I? But it works!) "I just haven't vented for awhile to someone besides Roru." Yash did a short laugh, "Un, I kinda got that," as his eyes settled on hers questioningly.

`Wow...she isn't like Kikyo at all. Kagome even depressed shows more emotion and life then Kikyo ever did. Even though they look a LOT alike' "Eh, Kagome?" "Un?" "You related to someone named Kikyo?" Kagome looked at him with an eyebrow raised, "No, I don't think so....who's Kikyo?"

"No big deal....so uh you still want that ride?" Yash said putting his hands into his hoodie's front pocket. "Un, that's why I came this way so I could find Sango. Ror had given her a ride this morning too." "What I need to give yet another person a ride?" Yash said with a mocking half smile. `Whoa....his smile could blind someone!' Kagome thought trying not to get a stupid smile on her face from thinking about him. "So where is she?" "Where's who?" Kagome said confused then she blinked rapidly, "Oh Sango! Right! Her locker is in the next hall over, so she should be over there."

~*~

"Roru?" Akio looked down at the terrified girl in his arms. In response he got a muffled sob. Akio looked around the hall, then grabbed Roru's tenor case and her purse with one hand, keeping his other arm around the frightened, crying girl. He lead her out of the school's main doors and out to his Jaguar. Akio set down her stuff beside the Jag and let her sit down on the hood.

"You okay? He didn't hurt you did he?" Akio asked looking over Roru quickly to make sure Roru was alright. "Y-yeah, I'm fine." Roru said wiping her tears from her face with the palms of her hands. "You sure?" Akio looked at her face not totally convinced. "Ok, fine. I'm totally freaked out I thought that fucker was in jail!" Roru said starting to cry again, "I thought I got away from him years ago!" Akio pulled her against his chest and let her cry for a few minutes her tears soaking his shirt. "It's okay he's out cold for awhile, you're safe now." He said gently rubbing her back in small circles.

Roru pulled away from Akio and looked up at his face, "Why are you being so nice to me? You just met me this morning." "What was I suppose to leave you back there alone with that jerk?" he said with a hint of anger in his voice. "He's fuck'd up with a pixy stick" Akio just looked at her really confused then realized what it meant and laughed. (AN: f'd up with a pixy stick is something I came up with out of nowhere when I was talking to my friend Noelle it's an odd insult, no true meaning, you just have to come up with ur own personal definition) Roru smiled slightly at Akio then slid off the car's hood. "Thanks for saving me. I had no clue what that ass was going to do." "Anyone would have saved you I was just the first person there.....and Roru?" "Un?" "You should call the cops on what's his name or at least report him to the school's office." "Kyro?" Roru suddenly looked very scared, "But what if he found out I was the one that called......" Akio wrapped her up in a hug to try to calm her down, resting his head on hers.

~*~

Kagome and Yash walked side by side into the next hallway. "What's with this school? All the green and yellow can make someone sick." Yash said as his eyes glided over the walls, which had yellow and green tiles halfway to the ceiling everything else was a dirty cream color. "No clue. The school was built in the 60s so that probably explains the color scheme." "So a bunch of drugged up moronic hippies built the place" Yash said making Kagome laugh. As they turned a corner they saw a guy, slumped against the wall, his shirt covered in blood. The guy appeared to be unconscious.

"What the hell?" Yash yelled as Kagome ran to see who was hurt. Kagome carefully brushed aside the guy's hair with her right hand. As soon as she saw the guys face, she quickly backed away as if he was a ticking bomb. "What's wrong?" Yash asked as he reached her side. `Why did her scent just spike with fear?' "It's Kyro...." "Who's Kyro?" Kagome looked up at his face, "At one point he was Roru's boyfriend...until he attacked her," her voice began to shake, "He's suppose to be in jail." Kagome and Yash looked at the unconscious Kyro. "Then how did he get here?"

~*~

"It's okay Roru; I won't let him get to you..." Akio said as Roru's shaking began to subside. "I don't want to be anywhere near him, Akio...," She looked up at his worried face, "He's a major drug addict....last time I was near him...was at his jail sentencing." "For what?" Roru looked away not wanting to answer, "He had attacked me," she said afraid to tell him the entire truth. Akio looked at her in shocked disbelief as she continued. "Remember about three years ago in the news...a guy who had committed a bunch of armed robberies, was arrested and put into rehab. Then he got out and attacked his girlfriend?" Akio slowly nodded his head, "Well that guy was Kyro...." Roru's eyes began to water again at the past memories rising again in her mind. Akio put a hand gently on the small of her back.

"You HAVE to report him then!" Roru turned her head to look at Akio, "I-I can't, last time I reported him in...I thought I was trying to help him get better...help him get rid of his drug addictions....Then he attacked me!" Roru said backing away. "I'll go with you. He should still be out cold for awhile." Roru took a step back to see his face more clearly. "You sure?" "Positive. I pack a hard punch." Akio said cracking his knuckles to emphasize his point. Roru sighed, "Okay, but only if you go with me" "You got it." Roru picked up her things and set them in Akio's Jag after he unlocked the passenger door, of course. Then the two headed back into the school walking towards the office. Akio put an arm around Roru's waist, targeted on protecting her.

~*~

Miroku looked at Shippo, who was trying to play the guitar, and rolled his eyes. "You're going to break that thing dude." "I'm not going ta break it!" "Dude, you play the keyboard...give up you're never gonna be able to play the guitar." Shippo set the guitar back on to its stand and glared at Miroku. "I wouldn't be talking drummer boy." "I'm not the one messing with an expensive guitar that doesn't belong to me." Miroku said crossing his arm. Shippo stood and looked like he was ready to take a swing at Miroku.

Just then a browned hair girl popped her head into the room, "Have either of you seen Roru Higurashi?" Both of the boys shook their heads. Miroku stood their looking at the girl shocked as she entered the room. It turned out she was wearing tight jeans and a sky blue tank top. "Damn! If either of you see her tell her that Sango doesn't need a ride." Miroku blinks, "Your Sango?" The girl shook her head, "No, I'm Ami. Sango had asked me to find Roru for her, cuz she has to stay after to finish a Chemistry experiment."

Miroku just kept thinking, `Girl...Pretty....Girl...Pretty...' Miroku suddenly walked over to the girl, Ami, and kneeled in front of her and took her left hand in his, "Will you..." Ami's face went into a look of shock, "You better not be asking me to bear your child or you'll have another thing coming!" Miroku's eyes instantly went wide and his face paled, "Uh...uh..." he let go of her hand and stood.

`This is amusing. The lech has never been threatened by a chick before.' Shippo thought. "Ami?" Ami turned and look at him forgetting about the lech for a second, "Un?" "We'll tell her if we see her." Ami smiled, "Thanks," then she turned to leave the room when she felt a hand on her butt, "HENTAI!" Ami spun and smacked Miroku upside the head hard, causing him to fall over. Then a split second after she left, Shippo began to laugh. (AN: I guess that's amusing for ya'll. Bet you thought it was gonna be Sango...not yet!)

~*~

Roru and Akio slowly walked through the ugly school, but unfortunately for Roru, the only way to get to the office, was to go down the hall where she had encountered Kyro. Akio noticed her nervousness as they got closer, "It's alright, Ror." He tightened his arm around her waist. Roru looked up at his face and nodded. She stiffed as they turned down onto the next hall, their sneakers causing their steps to quietly echo. (AN: If you haven't noticed yet the school is kinda like a maze, got that idea from my school) "You sure he'll still be knocked out?" "If he isn't I'll just knock him out again." Akio said with a slight half smile.

They turned left into the hallway where the unconscious Kyro lay. Roru blinked rapidly before admitting to herself, what she saw was real. `What are they doing here?' Kagome and Yash were standing 10 feet away from Kyro's unconscious body. Kagome looked like she was ready to start flipping out, and Yash just looked really confused. Neither of them noticed Roru and Akio, at least that's what Roru and Akio thought.

Yash turned and looked at the two people heading towards him and Kags. `That's definitely Roru's scent, but she has this jerk's scent on her too. What the fuck is going on?!' "Ror?" Yash said looking straight at her. "Yash, what are you and Kags doing here?" Roru said stiffening slightly against Akio. `What's with that dude? He has dog ears!' Akio thought glancing between each conscious person. "We just got here and saw..." Kagome said her voice trailing off as she looked over at Kyro.

Roru tried to move to get further away from Kyro, but Akio wouldn't allow her to. He kept his arm tight around her waist. `What is up with this shit!? First Kags scent gets spiked with fear, Ror's is way past any fear level I've ever smelt on her, and that guy is fuck'n all over her!' "Ok, what the fuck is going on?!" Yash burst out. Roru and Kagome both just look at Yash blinking. "And who the fuck are you!?" Yash said glaring at Akio. "I should ask you the same thing," Akio countered returning the glare.

Roru sighed, "Akio meet Inuyasha Midoriko. Yash this is Akio Rigufutsu," she said gesturing to each boy as she introduced them. Yash glared at her, "that's all you're gong to say?!" "What else do you want me to say?!" Roru said beginning to get angry. "Like why the hell..."he paused to remember what the guy's name was, "Akio is all fuck'n over you! And why the fuck is Kyro's scent all over you!" Before Roru could retort, "Uh, Ror what's the deal with this guy?" Akio said looking down at her face, searching for an answer.

Kagome stood slightly off to the side, far away from Kyro thought, watching. `What are those morons doing?! Yash can tell Ror's freaked out and he's tick'n her off. Then...still...why does Akio have his arm around Ror?'

"He's a close friend; I've known him for years." "Only a friend?" Akio said not quite believing her, "Then why is he being so protective of you?" Ror pulled out of his grip and took a step closer to Yash, "He's an Inu hanyou! They're always protective of those they're close to!" Yash looked stunned at Akio, "You think I'm her boyfriend or something?! NO WAY!" "Oh that's real nice, Yash. What I'm diseased or something?" Ror said glaring at him. "Uh...uh..." Yash began. Roru rolled her eyes, "Dude I get it," then she turned and turned back to Akio, "Happy Now?" she said as she looked back at Yash.

"No." Yash said crossing his arms across his chest, "You still haven't answered my question." "What question?" "Why the hell that jerk's" he gestures to Kyro, "scent is all over you!" Just then Kyro began to stir. Yash was the first to notice and glanced over at him. Ror looked to see what Yash was looking at then she began to panic, "No...No....not again...no..." Kags looked between her cousin and Kyro. Her own face filled with worry and fear. Akio and Yash both noticed the girl's fear and stood in front of them.

"He had attacked you." Yash said already knowing the answer. "Un," Ror responded quietly, hiding behind Akio, watching Kyro over his shoulder. "That explains it." Kyro's eye lids began to quiver as he tried to open them. "Ror, Kags..." Akio said the girls looked at him in response, "Go and get one of the school cops, me and Yash will take care of him if he wakes up." "Okay." Kags said as she grabbed her cousin's hand and pulled her down the hall, before they both broke into a run around the corner.

"You want to protect them, right?" Yash said, still intently watching the stirring Kyro. "Un." "Good cuz we're gonna beat the shit out of this guy, so he'll never hurt Roru again," Yash said as he cracked his knuckles ready to fight. Kyro's eyes opened and he saw Yash and Akio standing in front of him, "Where is she?" Kyro said as he began to stand. "You're not going anywhere near her again," Akio said stepping forwards. "What? You think you can take me?" Kyro said with an evil smirk, now fully standing. "No, the question is do you think you can take us," Yash said, his eyes briefly flashing red. Yash stepped closer to Kyro ready to fight.

~*~

Miroku and Shippo stood just outside the school waiting for Yash and Kagome to appear. "What's taking them so long?" Miroku complained. Shippo looked through the door's windows to see if they were coming, "They should be here by now. Yash said 10 minutes, right?" "Un" Shippo checks his black and silver Timex digital watch, "Well it's been nearly 30 since he left to find Kagome." Miroku's eyes sparkled lecherously, "Do ya think..." Shippo rolled his eyes, used to Miroku's perverted mind, "What do you think? Remember what Yash was like this morning?" Miroku crossed his arms and leaned against the school's brick outside wall, "True...but still..." Shippo smacked Miroku upside the head, "Moron." (AN: Ya'll think Miroku has any brain damage yet?) Miroku glared at the younger boy, "Watch it shorty." Shippo raised an eyebrow, "Me shorty? You're the one that was only 5'1 until last summer!" Shippo laughed at the now 6'2, picturing him as the old shrimpy sophomore version of him.

Five minutes later, "Are we going to wait forever? Or should we try to hot wire Yash's Jag?" Miroku said, and for the millionth time checking to see if Yash and Kagome were coming. "Are you nuts?!" Shippo said his eyes wide, "Try to hot wire Yash's baby?!" "Why not?" Miroku asked with a shrug. "He'll kill you!" Miroku smirked, "No, he'd kill you first. You're the one that helped him restore it." Shippo opened his mouth to refuse when Miroku began walking to Yash's car.

~*~

(AN: I almost stopped this chapter here but decided to make it longer since I have the time....)

"Ahhhhhh!" Kags screamed as she slid and hit the security office door landing on the ground. Roru came to a stop beside her cousin and helped her up, then turned to look at the security door. "What are you waiting for Ror?! Who knows if Kyro has a knife again!?" Kags said watching her cousin. Tears streamed down Roru's cheeks, "He said he would come with me, now he's back with that Yarou trying to protect me......"

Ror turned the doors handle and walked inside to see a female police officer sitting at the desk drinking some coffee. The woman looked up when both girls entered, mainly looking at Roru, "What's the problem? I'm Officer Lynci." And with that Roru spilled out her story about what happened shocking both Lynci and Kagome.

Fifteen minutes and a lot of explaining later.... "He's still here?" Lynci asked Roru who was sitting on a chair in front of the desk, her eyes now bloodshot from crying. Roru nodded, "We left him behind with our friends Inuyasha and Akio." "Do you think they're in danger with him?" Kagome answered this time, "Akio told us to come here, Kyro was beginning to wake up....but Akio took him out before and Yash is a hanyou." Lynci stood up and checked to make sure her gun was in the holster, then spoke into a walky-talky as they left the office, "Officer Lynci here, requesting backup in the northwestern main corridor." The walky-talky squawked before a male voice responded saying the backup would meet them there.

~*~*~

Sorry I wish I could make it longer but I'm not in the mood to write anymore and this chap is kinda long already so yeah. I deffinitly won't be updating for 2 weeks cuz I have to start studying for finals next weekend R&R PLEASE