InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Heart Healed Over ❯ The Council ( Chapter 9 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Heres number 9 people. Battling a headache so don't mind some of the grammatical stuff when Kouga speaks.

Chapter 9

"Those bastards! They think they have the right to tell me what to do in my lands yet they speak of truces?" Sesshomarus anger was flaring since he'd left the volcano home of his fathers smith friend with two blades placed in his belt. The council was pointless but he had gone since the area where it was held was under the rule of one of his fathers closest friends and Sesshomaru had a great fondness for the old snake. It was rather odd that a snake and a dog demon had such a close friendship but Sesshomaru could care less since he'd lost much of his fathers respect since he'd decided to mate with that human wench and spawn that idiot hanyou he had for a brother. He chuckled to himself at his thoughts had changed dramatically over the last 7 years thanks to Rin. But, now because of his fondness for the girl and what she had shown him, he was putting her and the boy at jeopardy.

The council had gone as planned with the arrival of all the clan leaders, even that wolf Kouga was present with one of those two wolves that were always following him. He could tell by the smell the wolf was mated and expecting a cub, which came as a relief to Sesshomaru since now the dog wouldn't have to listen to his brother complain about that human girl being approached by his rival. After catching sight of the wolf Sesshomaru saw that the leaders of the eagles, bats, snakes, fish, badgers, cats and other tribes had arrived. Scoffing to himself Sesshomaru said, "All this for taking a life debt out on a human." Turning to head into the castle Sesshomaru was stopped when he caught a familiar scent and said, "So you're here as well, Koura?"

From behind him Sesshomaru heard a small chuckle and felt a chill as the panther demon appeared infront of him and said, "Of course I came here Sesshomaru. It's not everyday when a demon council is called on just to discuss the matter of a human being in the service of a demon." Snorting Sesshomaru said, "It's a life debt that I took out on the boy. I honestly do not see the reason for this pathetic council since most of these demons aren't even worthy enough to be here." Looking at the Taisho Koura nodded and said, "Demons have lost much of their glory over the years." Sesshomaru said nothing as the demons growled at him as they passed him on their way into the castle.

Smirking Sesshomaru said, "These cowards hide in caves away from the humans in hopes that we stronger ones will take care of them. Yet I'm the traitor for taking in one and forcing the other into serving under me?" When he finished he heard a smug laugh come from behind him and a gruff voice saying, "Don't worry, I'll go to bat for you." Turning he saw the head of the wolf clan standing there with a smirk on his face. With his cool gaze Sesshomaru said, "Really? And why is that?" Walking up to him Kouga said, "You forget that I was placed before the council for attempting to mate with a human, so I know what you're going through right now." Thinking about what the wolf said for a moment Sesshomaru said, "I don't need your help since this is a waste of my time." And without saying another word Sesshomaru heading into the castle.

Inside the castle Sesshomaru could feel the animosity towards him as he walked past all the demons and received the occasional hiss or snarl from the more ignorant demons. Heading towards the council room Sesshomaru was surprised to be met by the leader of the bat clan, he knew that his brother had destroyed one of this demons tribes and since then Sesshomaru was on the receiving end of this demons hostility. Trying his best to ignore the demon Sesshomaru took his seat but was immediately face to face with the demon as the bat had appeared on the table infront of him and asked, "So I hear you've taken another ningen under your paw, Sesshomaru? Tell me what do you plan on doing with this one?" Scowling at the bat Sesshomaru said, "He's repaying me for saving his life by watching the girl I've had with me for the past 7 years." Continuing his scowl Sesshomaru asked, "So how come you haven't avenged that tribe my brother wiped out?"

Smirking the bat said, "Because the old fool who was in charge of them was planning to throw me from my seat as the tribe head. But tell me what exactly is so special about this boy you have with you?" Sesshomaru stood and said, "Nothing, I just thought it'd be fun to have another 'pet' around to make you jealous since I know of your taste in 'pets'." Snarling the bat said, "Oh really? I seem to remember a time when we were accompaning our fathers to one of these. Do you remember that, Sesshomaru-chan?" Growling Sesshomarus eyse turned red and he withdrew Tokijin and was about to sever the bats head when an whispy voice said, "Put down your weapon Sesshomaru. Although I wish his death as well we are at a council and no harm is to befall anyone during the council." Looking to his right Sesshomaru saw a tired old man hobbling towards them. Sheathing his sword Sesshomaru turned and bowed while saying, "Forgive me Orochi-sama. I seem to have forgotten my place in your home."

Chuckling the old man said, "You are forgiven Sesshomaru." Looking at the bat leader Orochi said, "And you Polong should no better than to insight violence at a council." Sneering Polong dropped down from the table and bowed mockingly saying, "My apologies Orochi. But let us get this council over with I have territory to protect." Chuckling Orochi said, "Your father must be stirring in his grave at your actions. But as the others are all in their places we shall begin." Scouting the room Sesshomaru saw all of the demon clan leaders in their appointed seats and took his place next to Kouga and Koura while Orochi took his place at the head of the table and said, "As you are all aware of we are here to discuss the matter of the current Inu-no-Taisho having to humans under his personal protection in his fathers home."

Sesshomaru laughed to himself as the voices of outraged demons shouted, "He's a traitor! Demons are to rule over humans not to treat them as equals and he has done so!" The shouting continued until Kouga said, "Like it matters what he does! Most of you hide away in fear of the humans and hope that someone comes along and kills them for you. Yet he regained his fathers land and his former position of the humans in the West and not only that, he was there when Naraku was killed!" The demons fell silent as Kouga continued, "So like me he's regained his clans former glory while you all skulk in caves and hide in the shadows when you could easily kill the humans in your area but you're all too frightened to even chase them out."

When he sat down a badger demon stood up and said, "I agree with Kouga. Times are changing and the humans will soon be so numerous that we won't have any territory left." Some demons muttered agreement when Koura stood and said, "Sesshomaru has set in motion a new way for us to survive, and that is to make truces with the humans over our territory and allow them to live there." At that suggestion a bear stood up and said, "What?! Sacrifice our pride so that the humans can take over our lands?" Looking at the bear Orochi said, "She's right Kuma. I myself have made agreements with the human rulers in my area about not harming the sentient demons in these lands. I'm old and have no heir to rule over my land and my people are losing their powers so I need to make sure that the survivors will carry on our legacy."

Much of the table muttered an agreement when a boar stood and said, "He's right, my people are now turning into nothing more than livestock for the humans and soon we will no longer be like we are now. So if you have the chance to spare your tribe from our fate do so." Standing Sesshomaru said, "You are all disgusting. First you all despise me for taking in two humans and now you all speak of making truces with the humans." Scoffing he looked at all the demons and said, "This council is a joke. Now if that is all I'm leaving since there is no point for me to even be on trial here." As he headed out he felt the gaze of the council following his body as he headed outside.

Once outside Sesshomaru concentrated and took to the sky as he controlled tried to figure out what to do. He knew that his actions would cause some of his fellow demons to go after the boy and Rin and he knew that he couldn't always protect them so he decided to do something he would never really forgive himself. Raising his fist he punched himself in the mouth twice and felt two of his fangs come loose. Reaching in he removed the fangs and was glad to find that he'd knocked out two of his incisors before heading north. Knowing that Rin would get worried Sesshomaru let out more energy and sped towards the volcanoe home of the old smith, Totosai.

He hated the old mans taste in territory but he knew that only the strongest of demons were worthy of receiving the old mans assitance. Even though he was strong enough for one of the demons swords, Sesshomaru had been denied by the old demon but he had a feeling that the old man would listen to his request this time. Seeing the smoke of the smiths volcano Sesshomaru added a bit more energy and in no time was standing outside the old mans entrance. He could hear the clanging of the smiths hammer on steel and walked in to find the smith putting the final touches on a new sword and said, "Totosai I have a favor to ask."

Looking over his shoulder as he pounded the steel the smith said, "If this is about a sword for you forget it. I don't make swords for those with selfish reasons." Scoffing Sesshomaru threw his fangs at the old mans feet and said, "These are for the humans under my protection. The girl Rin and the boy Seiya are both in danger of being attacked by some council members and they'll need some form of protection when I'm not around." The old demon placed the sword in the water to cool it before grabbing a rag and polished it before placing it in its sheath and saying, "Your words are true and your father would be proud. But who are these humans you speak of?" Coughing at the ash in his throat Sesshomaru said, "Rin is a young girl I've had in my company for the past 6 years. She is like a daughter to me and already has someone for a mate in mind. And Seiya is a young human whom I saved at Rins request and is now her caretaker."

Nodding Totosai looked at the fangs and said, "A short sword and katana should suffice." Sesshomaru said nothing as the old man began the preparations for the swords. It took 5 days for the blades to be finished and despite knowing what would happen when he reached his brothers village he could care less about how the two felt as he had wasted his own time to get them some protection. The blades were almost as finely made as his own swords but since they were for humans Totosai had to be careful at the power the blades emmited when held by their owners. When asked of their powers Totosai said, "I've added the protective powers of the Tessaiga. The swords will be able to slay demons but the true power lies in their abilities to create barriers that rivaled the power of that old bat your brother killed. They can be held by your hands but their powers will only appear surface when held by the humans they are made for." Nodding Sesshomaru took the blades and tossed a bag of gold to the demon and said, "Leave here and bathe old man." before taking to the air and heading south.

Even though he pushed it Sesshomaru didn't land outside of Kaedes house until well after nightfall but was glad to hear Rin and the boy chatting happily with the humans. Sesshomaru was about to head into the castle when Inuyasha appeared at the door and said, "Took you long enough, Sesshomaru." At the sound of the dog leaders name Rin jumped up and ran out yelling, "Sesshomaru-sama!" before clasping her arms around his waist and said, "We were worried about you, Lord Sesshomaru." Smiling inwardly Sesshomaru said, "I had some things to take care of Rin." Looking up Rin asked, "Like what my lord?" Crouching down Sesshomaru removed the short sword and said, "Some demons may try to harm you so you need to carry this with you at all times and if you find yourself in trouble it will protect you." Nodding Rin took the blade and bowed saying, "Thank you my lord." before heading back into the house.

When Rin was back in the house Sesshomaru looked up at the face of the boy who had taken over as Rins primary caretaker. He was sure that the scowl the boy wore was faced as he said, "I need to speak to you in private." Stepping forward Inuyasha said, "Not on your life Sesshomaru." But he stepped back as Sei said, "Don't worry Inuyasha, I can take care of myself. Besides I don't think Kagome's in a great mood right now." Before heading back in the hanyou said, "You know what'll happen should you harm him." Snorting Sesshomaru said, "Go in and take care of your mate you baka." Snarling at his brothers favorite insult Inuyasha shut the door behind him as Sei asked, "What took so long, my lord?" Sesshomaru noticed the lack of sarcasm that normally accompanied the title and said, "You and Rin are in danger. My actions at the council may have caused some instability between me and some of the clans and since you and Rin are my "pets," they will come after you."
Scoffing Sei said, "Great, you go there to try and protect us but now we're in even more danger. I have to worry about getting killed in my time but now I have to worry about demons in this time to?" Nodding Sesshomaru said, "Yes, although that was not my intentions. But since I have placed your life in jeopardy I had this commissioned." Staring at Sesshomarus hand Sei saw a full length katana and asked, "What's that for?" Snorting Sesshomaru said, "I asked Totosai to make you and Rin the weapons out of two teeth that came from the right side of my mouth. Although they don't have the ability to revive the recently killed, when weilded by you it will create a powerful barrier if you're under attack." Catching the blade Sei unsheathed the blade and checked it over. He could tell that it was made by a master craftsmen and after a few swings he put it back in and bowed saying, "I will never forget this my lord."

Satisfied that his gesture was welcomed Sesshomaru said, "I do apologize for taking so long." At hearing the apology Sei looked to the Taisho and said, "Did you just apologize?" Sesshomaru looked at him and asked, "Is it that shocking? I told you three days it's been almost eight and you have a life to get to. I've kept you here long enough and will take you back to the well whenever you are ready." Seiya was speechless, here he was alone in the past with a thousand year old demon who until seven years ago cared for noone and now he was being offered the demons protection back to his own time. Seiya was about to say something when Kagome came out giggling and asked, "Seiya, Sesshomaru we were wondering if you'd like to take a picture with us?"

Looking at his friend Sei asked, "Why are you taking a picture of all of us?" Continuing her laughing Kagome said, "It's been seven years to the day since I met all my friends and since you two are here we may as well have everyone in on it." Looking at the human Sesshomaru asked, "What exactly is involved in this process?" Smirking Kagome held up her camera and said, "This is called a camera. It's a device that uses light and things to burn a picture onto something called a negative which is then put through a process and you get one of these." Kagome pulled out the wallet that held all her pictures and tossed it to Sesshomaru. With ease he caught the small leather object and after a quick investigation he undid the button and stared at the colored images of the girl and her friends. Sesshomaru was amazed at the how a small piece of paper could hold the images of everything around it. Flipping through his interest was pricked even more as he saw the random images of places in the future and the people who he figured were Kagomes family. Looking up at her he said, "This is a rather interesting device so why not?" Looking at the demon Sei asked, "My lord are you sure about this?" Huffing Sesshomaru said, "Yes and you're to join us as well boy." Watching his lords back enter into the cabin Sei shouted, "I have a name!" before looking to Kagome and said, "That guy is starting to grind my nerves." Chuckling Kagome said, "Well you didn't seem that angry when we discussed him earlier." Sei felt his face flush and said, "Uhhh....well that's....umm... well Rin was around and...." but he stopped as Kagome dragged him into the house and threw him into the back of the group next to Sesshomaru.

Sei was feeling a bit uncomfortable being that close to the demon and also with Rin standing infront of them. Staring straight ahead he watched as Kagome set the camera on the stand and set the timer before settling next to Inuyasha who was sitting on the ground cross legged. Sei looked next to him and saw Sesshomaru staring straight at the camera with his usual glare while Rin held both their hands and was smiling broadly. Shippou was sitting next to Kagome and smirking smuggly while Sango and Miroku were cuddling together as Kaede just sat on the ground with a small smirk on her face. It seemed like forever before the flash happened and when it did Sei was surprised that Sesshomaru didn't freak like Inuyasha had done when Kagome had taken his picture the first time.

When it was done Kagome looked up and saw that although Seis face was looking straight ahead his eyes were staring at Sesshomaru. Giggling she stood up and said, "All right guys. I think it's time to call it a night. Inuyasha, Shippou you guys wanna take Miroku and Sango home?" Staring at his mate Inuyasha asked, "Why the hell do they need us to take them?" Sighing Kagome said, "Because wasn't there a demon attack awhile ago and with Sango due soon I think they could use the help." Looking to the kitsune Inuyasha said, "Let's go Shippou. Sei, I'll see you on the other side." Nodding Sei said, "See you guys later." The others all said goodbye as they headed out the door and when they were gone Rin said, "Sesshomaru-sama do we have to take Sei-san home now." Nodding Sesshomaru said, "Yes, Rin he has to go home now." Pouting Rin said, "Kagome-san can we get a picture of the three of us before we go?" Smiling Kagome went to her camera and set it before saying, "Okay guys smile."

The flash came but Kagome groaned as Sesshomarus face remained blank while Seis smile was a little forced since Rin had requested it and he was only smiling for her sake. But it was her last picture and since she didn't have any extra rolls on her she told them, "Okay guys that's it." as she put the camera back into its case while it made a rewound for a moment before taking it out and tossing it to Sei and said, "Can you get these developed for me? I'll pay you back."

Sei sighed and said, "Okay, I guess, but we should get going right now. Kagome you'll be back soon?" She nodded and said, "I got a test in 2 days so I'll see ya for dinner when it's over?" Chuckling Sei said, "I'll buy some wine and stuff." Kagome smiled as she caught the hint and said, "I'll bring the aspirin then." Sei laughed as he gave his friend a hug before heading out of the house saying, "Thank you for the hospitality Kaede-sama." Kaede nodded and said, "It was a pleasure." As they exited Sei said, "Rin did you thank Kaede-sama?" Turning Rin bowed and said, "Thank you for everything." before running back outside and skipping next to Sei.

As they walked Sesshomaru was again impressed at Rins protective and obedient nature with the boy, not to mention how the boy looked at her with a loving look in his eyes. At first Sesshomaru thought the boy was interested in Rin but his actions showed more of a parental aspect and he watched as Rin got a little teary eyed as he hugged her infront of the well and said, "Don't worry I'll have these pictures for you soon and you'll always have something of us together." Rin nodded and said, "Okay, bye Sei-san." before hopping onto Ah-un and allowing Sesshomaru to step forward.

Coughing Sei said, "I guess the sword is my payment this time around?" Nodding Sesshomaru said, "Yes but you should learn to use it since the demons here are more powerful than they are in your time." Chuckling Sei said, "I've never met one but I have a feeling some will be coming for me. Oh well, when's the next time you need me?" Sesshomaru shrugged and said, "I have no clue but I will send Jaken with a note to give to my brother. Or I may just show up one day when I get word of you being here." Sei bowed and said, "Of course sir. I will see you again and Rin to." And as he jumped into the well he heard Sesshomaru say, "Thank you Seiya." just as the wells magic transported him back to his time.

Next time we will have Sei in his time with Kagome and maybe something else I have to plan it out. Laters!

Converting /tmp/phpvQECvw to /dev/stdout