InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Here Comes Santa Claws ❯ Dashing Through the Snow ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I caught myself a Christmas cold. No sneezing or stuffiness but the coughing is even more annoying. I think I should just go back to bed.
 
Have a very joyous December 25 in whatever way you choose to celebrate it. Enjoy the chapter!
 
HERE COMES SANTA CLAWS
 
Chapter 4: Dashing Through the Snow
 
Inuyasha stomped through the snow towards the edge of Kaede's barrier. It might have been faster to take one of the firecats, but he had never been one to shy away from a little exercise. Besides, the walk allowed him to work out the last bit of annoyance lingering in his blood.
 
Stupid girl. He scowled and kicked viciously at an innocent lump of snow. Why do I have to be her guardian? It's not my fault. If she hadn't awakened, then we wouldn't have this little problem.
 
Miroku watched the emotions flicking across Inuyasha's face. He also could have taken a firecat, but saw this as a great opportunity to talk to the half demon about their newest guest.
 
“Thinking about Kagome?” he asked. He shifted the pack on his shoulders containing food and water for the next several days.
 
“Of course not!” Inuyasha said quickly. Too quickly. For someone used to second guessing his demon companion, Inuyasha was easy to read. The flash of guilt in his eyes told a lot.
 
“Well, I'm certainly thinking about her,” Miroku said. “She's cute. I wonder if she's got a boyfriend.”
 
Inuyasha grabbed Miroku by the collar of his robe and slammed him against the nearest tree. “Stay away from her,” he growled. One clawed hand rested against the monk's throat. Clumps of snow showered them from the boughs above.
 
Miroku grinned despite the pressure on his windpipe. “Jealous already, Inuyasha? I didn't realize you two were that close.”
 
Inuyasha backed off immediately, letting go of his friend. “Stupid, perverted monk! I just mean that she's my responsibility. Kaede would never let me hear the end of it if anything happened to her. I don't need you toying with her emotions when she won't be here forever.”
 
Miroku just snickered. Inuyasha scowled and went back to ignoring him.
 
It was a beautiful December morning. The snow the night before had softened the landscape, making everything look bright and new. Any animal tracks had been covered, leaving them with the impression that they were the only two living creatures in the forest.
 
Inuyasha sniffed the air. His nose identified many scents that Miroku would never smell. There was a hare hiding in that clump of bushes to their right. And the air smelled heavy with the promise of more snow even though the sky was clear.
 
“We should have seen or scented them by now,” Inuyasha griped, scanning the trees.
 
“Kouga knows what he's doing,” Miroku reassured his friend. “He knows that the border patrol is important. He wouldn't just leave unless he had a reason.”
 
Inuyasha snorted. “Like feeding his face. That wimpy wolf thinks with his stomach. He's probably back at the village.”
 
“Where Kagome is.” Miroku looked sideways at Inuyasha. “He'll know the whole story as soon as he sets foot in the village. And you know how charming he can be.”
 
“That wolf!” Inuyasha growled. “He'll try to convince Kagome that he would be a better guardian! I shouldn't have left her alone!”
 
“Wait a minute!” Miroku grabbed Inuyasha's arm. “If Kouga and his wolves have returned to the village, then it's even more important that we inspect the border. Besides, I thought that you didn't want to be her guardian.”
 
“I don't!” Inuyasha spluttered. “But that doesn't mean I want Kouga anywhere near her. He's still sore that Kaede chose me as her apprentice. He might do something to Kagome to hurt me.”
 
“I thought you didn't care,” Miroku said with a sly smile. “Besides, Sango and Shippou are with her. She'll be fine.”
 
Inuyasha took several deep breaths. “I don't care about that annoying girl,” he muttered. “I just don't want Kouga trying to lay claim to her. That's all. She'll be gone next year anyway. We shouldn't get attached.”
 
“There's no need to make her feel unwelcome.”
 
Inuyasha didn't answer. Kaede had assigned him to be the girl's guardian. And he had never yet failed to take on an assigned duty. This would not be the first time. No matter how much he detested playing babysitter.
 
He caught sight of a faint shimmer through the trees. They had reached the edge of the barrier. Now all they had to do was make sure it was whole and functioning properly.
 
The barrier was a creation of Kaede's to keep their little village safe from the outside world. It recognized and accepted all the inhabitants of Kaede's village. Any one of them could leave whenever he or she chose. Other people never saw the barrier. A subconscious suggestion built into it convinced them the forest was impenetrable and it would be better to go around.
 
Animals could also come and go as they pleased. For them, the barrier didn't exist.
 
The main reason for the barrier was to keep out the others.
 
Inuyasha's musing was cut short when Miroku slapped him on the shoulder.
 
“This is where we part company.” He pointed with his staff. “I'll go that way and we'll meet in Kaede's village in about a week.”
 
“Feh. Just do your job. If you see that wimpy wolf or any of his pack, tell him that I would like to talk to him when we get back to the village.” Inuyasha started to turn away, hesitated, and looked back at the monk. “Be careful. If you run into any trouble, call for help.”
 
“You worry too much,” Miroku said cheerfully. “Someone might think you cared.”
 
Inuyasha scowled. “Idiot.”
 
Miroku was still laughing as he and Inuyasha walked away in opposite directions.
 
^**^
 
Inuyasha and Miroku's tracks were still fresh in the snow when a section of the barrier shuddered. The glow intensified for a moment, hesitated, then slowly faded back to normal.
 
A small child stared solemnly at the barrier from the outside. She had a curiously colorless appearance. With her white hair, pale skin, and white dress, she could pass for a wisp of mist or a pallid snow wraith.
 
Calmly, she walked through the barrier as if it didn't exist. It pulsed uncertainly before deciding that the child must not be a threat.
 
She glanced incuriously at the footprints in the snow before pulling out a small round mirror that had been tucked into her jacket. For a moment, the mirror reflected only sky and trees. Then fog swirled across the glass. It cleared to reveal a man's face looking out.
 
“Have you passed the barrier, Kanna?” he demanded.
 
“Yes,” Kanna responded in a flat, emotionless tone.
 
“Good.” The man smiled in obvious satisfaction. “You know what to do. Don't contact me again unless there's trouble.”
 
“Yes, Lord Naraku.” Kanna slipped the mirror back into its hiding place. Without a backwards glance at the gently glowing barrier, she disappeared into the trees. Her small feet left no tracks in the snow and a few minutes later, it was as if she had never been there.
 
^**^
 
Kouga sneezed.
 
“You all right, Kouga?” one of the two wolf demons with him asked.
 
“Someone's talking shit about me,” Kouga growled. He rubbed his nose and sneezed again. “Probably that mutt and his friend. Nothing to worry about, Ginta.”
 
“Inuyasha's probably mad,” the second wolf demon said. “We're supposed to be patrolling the border. We shouldn't be here.”
 
“I keep telling you, Hakkaku, don't worry about it.” Kouga cuffed the demon alongside the head. “Inuyasha can go chase his tail. We need to eat, especially on meatloaf day. The border's not going anywhere, and besides, it's not like anything's going to happen in the next few hours.”
 
“Meatloaf's good,” Ginta agreed. “But maybe we should be getting back.” Hakkaku nodded.
 
Kouga sighed. “Fine. We'll go. The sooner we finish our patrol, the sooner I can get to know the lovely Kagome better.”
 
He flung open the door, letting in a blast of freezing air. Several people complained, shooting irritated looks at him. Kouga ignored them. The cold reminded him of his mountain homeland so long ago. He would never admit it to anyone, but he actually like doing border patrols. It gave him a chance to really stretch his legs and feel the icy wind whistling past his ears.
 
“She's nice.” Ginta exchanged a look with Hakkaku. They hurried after their leader, followed by a small pack of wolves. “But maybe you should be careful. I heard that Inuyasha is her guardian.”
 
Kouga snorted. “Then why did he leave her all by herself?” He stopped and took a deep breath. It smelled like snow. Already the cloudless blue of the sky was being obscured by fat clouds.
 
“Inuyasha is always jumpy right after Christmas,” Hakkaku said. “It's dangerous every time the barrier is lowered, especially at this time of year.”
 
“Yeah.” Ginta nodded vigorously. “We really shouldn't have left our patrol today.”
 
Kouga was getting tired of the two wolf demons constantly harping on the same subject. They were more than a little bit afraid of Inuyasha, remembering the age-old grudge between wolves and dogs. Inuyasha might be a half-breed, but he was also extremely powerful. Kouga wouldn't admit it out loud or even to himself, but Inuyasha was the one demon whose fighting skills he respected.
 
“Enough complaining!” Kouga scowled. Ginta and Hakkaku sure knew how to ruin a guy's afternoon. “Let's get going. And try to keep up.”
 
Kouga launched into a run, reaching his top speed in seconds. The other two demons shielded their faces against the sudden blizzard of stinging snow. They then plowed after their leader, shouting for him to wait up.
 
^**^
 
Merry Christmas!
 
Food for Thought: He who has no Christmas in his heart will never find Christmas under a tree.