InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Here Comes Santa Claws ❯ Under the Mistletoe ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

HERE COMES SANTA CLAWS
 
Chapter 7: Under the Mistletoe
 
“Gotcha, Kagome!”
 
Kagome shrieked as little Mayu pelted her with a snowball. All of the children took that as their cue to gang up on her. They giggled as they scooped up handfuls of snow.
 
“Not fair!” Kagome gasped as she tried to shield herself. She spotted Sango coming out of another building, followed by Kirara. “Sango! Help me!”
 
Sango willingly came over to help her friend. She grabbed Satoru and stuffed a handful of snow down his shirt while he wiggled and pleaded for mercy. Kirara looked with distaste at the cold snow the children were rolling around in and walked over to a spot on the sidelines where she could watch without getting snow in her fur. She sat down next to Kuroro, another of the resident firecats. The two began to groom each other, ignoring the wild snow fight.
 
“I'll help you, Kagome!” Shippou pounced on Souten, bowling the girl over. Kouryuu, a small red dragon, hurried over to help the girl and got a face full of snow for his trouble. Souten laughed and easily threw the lighter fox demon into a snow bank.
 
Kagome finally worked her way free of the melee. She stood, panting, watching the happy scene. Koume, a cute human girl, joined Mayu in throwing snowballs at the boys.
 
It looked like something out of a hallmark commercial until you noticed that not all of the children were human. At least half of them were demon. They were also far older than Kagome, even though they didn't look or act like it. Kaede had rescued each and every one of them from situations similar to Shippou's.
 
Mayu and her brother, Satoru, had been orphaned in a terrible fire. Nobody wanted them and they had been very close to becoming street children when Kaede found them and took them home with her.
 
Souten was the younger sister of the two Thunder Brothers defeated by Inuyasha. She and her friend, Kouryuu, had tried to exact vengeance for her brothers' deaths. Inuyasha hadn't actually killed the brothers, but Souten had blamed him anyway. For years, she clung to the belief that they had foolishly gotten themselves killed by a lesser demon because the defeat had weakened them. After meeting Shippou and a few of the other children, she gave up vengeance in favor of having regular meals and a roof over her head.
 
Now, they laughed and played like normal children, except none of them would ever grow up unless they wanted to. Most of them would eventually decide to leave and make their own lives out in the world.
 
Kagome had been shocked to learn that some of the people she had passed on the street every day were demons. Kaede equipped them with concealment spells and nobody ever noticed a thing.
 
Almost a week had passed since Kagome arrived at the North Pole. Everybody was very friendly and accepting. She had found firm friends in Sango and Shippou. Sango especially was easy to talk to when Kagome was suffering from bouts of homesickness.
 
Hojo kept presenting her with flowers grown in his greenhouse and inviting her to tea or walks around the village. She found his attentions flattering, but was reluctant to encourage him when she would be gone in a year.
 
Every day, for about an hour, Kaede called her into her office to talk. They talked about the strangest things, mostly about Kagome's childhood and her dim memories of her father. Kaede always ended the talks by having Kagome stare into a large round marble thing. She wouldn't explain the reason, but she seemed more pleased each day.
 
“Look! Inuyasha's back!”
 
Kagome was distracted out of her musing by the cheerful shout. She looked around to see all of the children swarming a familiar figure in red. Miroku was with him, too.
 
Now's the time to give that jerk a piece of my mind! Kagome walked toward them. He has the nerve to practically kidnap me and dump me in this frozen village. And then he disappears for a week. Shippou and Sango had half-heartedly tried to defend their friend, but Kagome could tell they didn't really believe what they were saying.
 
“Oi!” Inuyasha scowled at the group of happy children. “Watch it! Do you want to get stepped on?”
 
“Did you bring us anything, Inuyasha?” Mayu tugged on Inuyasha's arm.
 
“I want a present, Inuyasha!” Bunza jumped up and down. “We've been good!”
 
“I've been tramping in the snow for a week,” Inuyasha snapped, gently prying Mayu's fingers off his sleeve, “not shopping at the mall.”
 
“Awwww!”
 
Inuyasha sighed and covered his face with his hand. Now they were all staring at him with those big dewy eyes. He peeked out from between his fingers. Yep, now the lower lips were starting to tremble.
 
“You know what they want.” Miroku grinned and slapped Inuyasha on the shoulder. “After all, you're Santa Claus. Wouldn't want to disappoint the kiddies, would you?”
 
“All right, all right,” Inuyasha grumbled. He reached into his jacket and pulled out his bag of magic dust. At this time of year, the magic wasn't very powerful, but there was enough for a few tricks to keep the kids happy.
 
“Yay!” Satoru clapped his hands while Kouryuu tried to squeeze past the bigger kids to get a little closer.
 
Kagome reached the outer edge of the group, but Inuyasha hadn't noticed her yet. His entire attention was focused on the children. Sango joined her and lightly touched Kagome's arm.
 
“I know you're still angry, Kagome,” Sango whispered. “But just watch for a little bit. You'll see that Inuyasha isn't really a bad guy.”
 
Kagome grumbled and scowled. At Sango's pleading look, she gave a nod of her head. She wouldn't pick a fight in front of the children. They did seem genuinely pleased to see him. Though that could just have been because of the presents he was now producing.
 
“Let's see what we have here.” Inuyasha reached into his magic bag and pulled out a bright red ball. “Here you go, Mayu.”
 
“Thanks, Inuyasha.” Mayu grinned. “This is perfect. My old one went all flat.”
 
“Souten!” Inuyasha barked, fixing the small demon child with a glare. “Stop pulling on Kouryuu's tail, or I won't give you these brand new crayons.” Souten immediately put her hands behind her back, looking innocent.”
 
“Sorry, Inuyasha. I'll be good.” She took her gift and ran off with Koume, and Koume's new yo-yo, to play.
 
Inuyasha handed out gifts, keeping one ear trained on Kagome. He had spotted her the minute he stepped into the village, but had decided not to make his presence known right away. Once she saw him and he got a look at the expression on her face, he was just as glad. Sango usually looked like that just before she clobbered Miroku.
 
“Sango, my sweet!” Miroku grinned at Sango over the tops of the children's heads. “Did you miss me?”
 
“I wouldn't so much if you'd stop ducking,” Sango muttered. Shippou giggled. Kagome shot her friend a curious look.
 
“Have you been good?” Miroku asked, and then he smirked. “Though I'd prefer it if you were naughty.”
 
Sango rolled her eyes. “Pervert.”
 
“Look what I found.” He pulled a green plant from inside his robe. “Only had to scale a ten-foot tree to get it.” Skirting the last of the children, he stopped in front of Sango and held the plant over her head. “You know the tradition. How about my kiss?”
 
Sango wrinkled her nose. Then she grinned. “All right, close your eyes.”
 
Miroku's face lit up. “I knew you couldn't say `no' to me forever.” Obediently he closed his eyes.
 
Sango knelt down and whispered something to Shippou. The little fox demon grinned and jumped into her arms.
 
“Are your eyes closed?” Sango asked, standing up. Miroku nodded vigorously. “Here's your kiss!”
 
“Miroku!” Shippou jumped at the monk, wrapping his small arms around Miroku's neck and planting a wet kiss on his face.
 
“Aaaagh!” Miroku jumped. His left foot slipped on a patch of icy snow. Down they went in a heap.
 
The mistletoe flew from the monk's hand. Kagome gasped, concerned that Miroku might really have hurt himself. Inuyasha snorted and crossed his arms. Kagome turned to glare at him, incensed. Didn't he care about his friend?
 
Miroku groaned and lifted his head enough to look at the smug fox sitting on his chest. “Shippou. That wasn't what I had in mind.”
 
Shippou smirked and scampered off of the prone monk. “You wanted a kiss.”
 
“Oooh.” Miroku moaned and tried to push himself into a sitting position. After a moment, he flopped back down into the snow. “I think I twisted my ankle. Help me up, Sango dear?” From where she was standing, Kagome saw a brief grin flash across the monk's face.
 
“I'm not falling for that one. Get up.” Sango refused to move, but she looked a lot less certain when Miroku groaned again. Cautiously, she stepped closer. “Miroku?”
 
“Gotcha!” Sango shrieked as Miroku grabbed her ankle. Instinctively she lashed out with the other foot, connecting solidly with Miroku's ribs.
 
“Oof.” Miroku doubled over in unfeigned pain while Sango glared at him from a safe distance.
 
“Serves you right, pervert,” Inuyasha grumbled. Kagome just stared. “Just ignore them, Kagome. They're always squabbling like kids.” He stretched and started for Kaede's. “I'm beat. Try not to seriously maim him, Sango. We need him for border patrols if nothing else.”
 
Kagome snapped out of her shock as Inuyasha brushed past her. She grabbed a fistful of his white hair, jerking him to a stop. “Just a minute, dog boy!”
 
“Dog boy?” A growl rumbled in Inuyasha's throat and his ears flattened. He turned to face Kagome, forcing her to release his hair. She returned his glare, much to his surprise, without even flinching.
 
“We need to talk!” Kagome put her hands on her hips. “What did you think you were doing, abandoning me here?”
 
“Abandoning?”
 
“Yes!” Kagome raised one hand to poke Inuyasha in the chest. “You kidnapped me from my nice, safe room. You bring me to this place, without my consent, and then tell me that I can't go home for an entire year!” She stepped closer and poked Inuyasha again. “Everybody tells me that you are responsible for me! Some guardian you are! You ran off at the first opportunity. And now you're not even going to talk to me! I deserve to know what's going on! How the hell did you end up as Santa Claus? You have to be the most arrogant, insufferable, selfish person I have ever met!”
 
Inuyasha's growling had grown steadily louder while Kagome chewed him out. Miraculously, the street, which had been so busy a moment ago, was now deserted. The only ones present were Miroku, Sango, Shippou, and Kirara. They swiveled their heads from Kagome to Inuyasha and back again.
 
“I did not kidnap you!” Inuyasha shouted. Kagome snorted. He glared at her. “Well, technically maybe I did. But if you had stayed asleep like you were supposed to, then this wouldn't have happened. Nobody is supposed to be awake when Santa comes. Don't you know anything? And I did not abandon you! I am a very busy demon. I have things to do that do not include babysitting a spoiled human brat!”
 
“Spoiled human brat?” Kagome drew breath to continue the argument, but Inuyasha cut her off.
 
“For your information,” Inuyasha ground out between clenched teeth. “The barrier is for your protection as much as ours. Your worst nightmares wouldn't come close to describing what would happen if the barrier fails. We don't just laze around her playing silly games all year, little girl.”
 
Sango winced as Kagome went white with rage. “Speaking of the barrier,” Sango whispered to Miroku. “Did you meet up with Kouga and his wolves? They left here after eating lunch.”
 
“Yeah,” Miroku replied. “And Inuyasha was not happy. He told Kouga to patrol the border again. The next patrol won't have to go out until they get back. It will probably be a week, but might be only two or three days if Kouga uses his speed.”
 
Shippou climbed up Miroku's robe to sit on his shoulder. “Hey. Did you see what's in Inuyasha's hair?” Miroku chuckled and Sango peered more closely at Inuyasha to see what was so funny.
 
“Oh, my!” She covered her mouth with one hand.
 
“Do you think we should tell him?” Miroku grinned and received a light slap on the arm from Sango.
 
“You are a jerk, Inuyasha!” Kagome shouted, nearly standing on tiptoe so that she could yell in his face.
 
Inuyasha snarled at her. “Spoiled brat!”
 
“When did they reduce themselves to name calling?” Shippou asked.
 
“He must really like her,” Miroku mused. Sango shot him a skeptical glance.
 
“What makes you say that?”
 
“Normally, when Inuyasha is losing an argument, he just walks away. I haven't seen him yell at anybody this long without resorting to violence since her.”
 
Sango cleared her throat. “He looks like he's about two seconds away from doing something he'll regret.”
 
“True. Maybe it's time to distract him.” Miroku raised his voice. “I hate to interrupt your quality time, Inuyasha, but there's something caught in your hair.”
 
“Not now, Miroku!” Inuyasha snapped. “This isn't time for your games.”
 
“I'm going to tell you anyway,” Miroku said cheerfully. “It's a green parasitic plant with a very enjoyable tradition. And you're already standing pretty close to Kagome. Maybe you should take advantage of it.”
 
“What?” Inuyasha twitched his ears, distracted from the argument. Involuntarily, Kagome looked at Inuyasha's hair. There, nestled among the white strands, was the sprig of mistletoe.
 
Inuyasha raised a hand to his head and felt around. He pulled the plant out of his hair and stared at it in confusion. Kagome looked at the plant and then glanced at Inuyasha's face. He met her eyes at the same time. They both blushed slightly and looked away.
 
“You know the tradition, don't you, Kagome?” Shippou asked innocently. Being that he was hundreds of years old, he wasn't nearly as innocent of certain things as his size might suggest. “Kiss him!”
 
^**^
 
Food for Thought:
Last year I made a list of things
That I resolved to do;
I'll use that list again this year,
It's still as good as new!