InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Here Comes Santa Claws ❯ Do You Hear What I Hear? ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Sorry for the delay. My muse has been playing hide and seek, without the seek part. This chapter had me blocked for a long time, but it finally came together. The next chapter already exists as a vague outline. I just hope I have time and motivation to write it.
 
Enjoy!
 
I don't own Inuyasha. Sole rights belong to Rumiko Takahashi.
 
HERE COMES SANTA CLAWS
 
Chapter 11: Do You Hear What I Hear?
 
^**^
 
Kagome jumped. Lost in her own thoughts, she hadn't heard anyone else approach. A strange girl, probably only a year or two older than Kagome, stood next to a gnarled old tree. One hand rested lightly on the trunk as she frowned at Kagome. Her clothes looked like the same red and white garments filling the closet in the room Kagome had awakened in. And her long black hair was tied back out of her face with a simple white ribbon
 
“Who are you?” the girl asked again, a hint of impatience entering her tone. “I've already told Naraku that I do not require any assistance. And I haven't changed my mind. You can inform your Master that my answer is still `no.'”
 
“Naraku is not my `Master,'” Kagome informed the strange girl sharply. Kidnapping and the strangeness that had happened since made her temper short. “For your information, my name is Kagome. I just got here today, and it wasn't by choice. When Inuyasha and Kaede hear—“
 
“Inuyasha?” Emotion flickered in the girl's eyes and her fingers tightened on the bark. “You know Inuyasha?”
 
“Ummm… kind of. Wait, how do you know him?”
 
She smiled then, a sad curving of the lips that was gone almost as quickly as it happened. “Inuyasha and I have a… history… together.”
 
“What does that mean?”
 
“That's all you need to know, girl.” She turned her head to watch the sun's dying rays paint the clouds a pale pink. “It's getting dark. You should head back to your cage, where it's safe.”
 
“What gives you the right to tell me what to do?” Kagome stuck out her chin and glared. “Who are you anyway?”
 
The girl looked at Kagome. Something in her eyes made Kagome take an involuntary step back. “My name is Kikyou. And you are a fool, girl.”
 
“My name's not `girl,'” Kagome asserted. “Or `child.' Or `mortal.' Or whatever else you seriously disturbed people want to call me. It's Kagome. And I think I deserve some answers! I'm tired of everybody giving me the brush-off!”
 
Kikyou's eyes snapped fire, but she made a serious effort to control herself. “You are involved in matters that are far beyond you, girl. If I were you, I would mind my manners. Naraku will send you home soon. Just like all the others.”
 
“What others?” Kagome didn't like the sound of that. Did Naraku make a habit out of kidnapping innocent people? She already didn't trust him, and she didn't want to think about how he would send her home. Her overactive imagination supplied several very gruesome possibilities. “I-I won't go without a fight. I have friends. And-and family. They'll turn the world upside down if I come home in a shoebox.” She tried not to think about someone jumping out from behind a tree, grabbing her, and dragging her away to a secluded corner to do unspeakable things to her body. I have got to quit watching so many police dramas.
 
“What are you talking about?” Kikyou looked puzzled, a small frown creasing her brow. “Never mind. I don't want to know. Mortals never make sense.”
 
Kikyou stepped out from under the shadow of the tree. Her movements were smooth and graceful, making Kagome feel like a waddling hippo by comparison. But there was something in her eyes that was cold and unfeeling—the eyes of someone who had given up hope a long time ago.
 
“Go back to your room, girl. It's getting late. Even the other children have gone to bed.”
 
“Other children?” Kagome swallowed hard. Every time she started to get a handle on things, Kikyou said something else to knock her off balance. “You mean there are more? How many people has Naraku kidnapped?”
 
“Naraku doesn't kidnap!” Kikyou snapped. Kagome took an involuntary step back at the other girl's sudden anger. “He rescues abandoned children and lets them live here for a time. When they are ready, he sends them back home, to someplace where they'll be happy.” She pointed back the way Kagome had come. “Now, get out of my garden!”
 
“I don't know how, miss I'm-better-than-you!” Kagome was tired of backing down. Who did this bitch think she was, anyway? To go psychotic over a simple question? She obviously had major issues. “I went for a walk and I was following the sound of children singing and now I'm lost!”
 
Kikyou rolled her eyes. “Give me a break. Mortals are getting dumber every year.” She stalked past Kagome, turned, and glanced over her shoulder. “Come on. It's getting dark. The sooner you're back where you belong, the happier I'll be.”
 
“That makes two of us,” Kagome muttered. She followed Kikyou only because she truly was lost and the wondrous garden was starting to feel a bit creepy as the last of the sun's light faded.
 
Kikyou didn't talk as stalked down various paths. Kagome wasn't feeling too talkative herself. It didn't help that even Kikyou's angry walk was incredibly poised and flowing. Several times, she almost opened her mouth to ask a question but then decided against it. That didn't stop the endless questions running through her head. Just how did Kikyou know Inuyasha? And what was she doing here instead of at the North Pole? And why was Naraku living here, reproducing Kaede's work on a grander and more impressive scale? Shouldn't they be working together? They could accomplish so much more!
 
So wrapped up in her ponderings was she that she actually yelped and jumped sideways into a dwarf pine as a man appeared on the path before them. Kikyou stopped and narrowed her eyes at him, ignoring Kagome as she struggled out of the tree's embrace.
 
“What do you want, Bankotsu?” Kikyou asked.
 
Kagome pretended to concentrate on brushing pine needles off her clothing, casting subtle glances at the newcomer. Bankotsu was quite cute in a dangerous bad-boy type of way. His long black hair was braided down his back and he bore a curious star-shaped mark on his forehead. His white clothes, even with the purple designs on what looked like some kind of armor, argued for someone who didn't like to get dirty. She glanced at his face and instantly revised her first impression. His eyes were even colder than Kikyou's, but they weren't empty like hers. They were hard and unyielding, with a callous indifference to human or demon life that left Kagome feeling chilled.
 
“Master Naraku was afraid that the girl had gotten lost.” A sardonic twist of his lips let Kagome know that he was aware of her examining him. “I've come to bring her back.”
 
Kikyou narrowed her eyes. “And why does Naraku care so much for this girl? She may have a shred of ability, but there are lots more where she came from.”
 
Bankotsu shrugged. “I don't question. I just obey the one with the deepest pockets. And as long as Naraku continues to give me and my men what we want, I'll follow orders.”
 
“You're twisted!” Kikyou spat. “There's more to life than money!”
 
Bankotsu favored Kikyou with an amused look. “But, my dear Kikyou, isn't that why you hooked up with Naraku in the first place? Abandoned your friends and your duty for the one you could give you what you craved?”
 
Kikyou firmed her lips and didn't answer. She just glared at Bankotsu with hatred.
 
Feeling ignored, Kagome let out a small sigh. It had been a long day and she wanted to get back to the relative familiarity of the room she had awakened in. The South Pole might be impressive, but it seemed to be filled with certifiable nut bars.
 
A cold wind suddenly sliced through the trees. Kagome shivered as an eerie howling filled the air. It was mournful and filled with a terrible hunger. Kikyou and Bankotsu stopped sniping at each other and looked out through the trees, towards the east.
 
“The amarok are walking tonight,” Kikyou stated flatly. She turned to Bankotsu. “Take her back to the castle. I have work to do.”
 
Kagome stared as Kikyou turned and abruptly walked away. She looked at Bankotsu who was watching Kikyou with an unreadable expression in his eyes. “What's an amarok?”
 
Bankotsu laughed. “Trust me, you don't want to know. This way.”
 
He led her swiftly along the myriad paths, reaching the castle in a matter of minutes. Kagome was surprised. She'd had no idea they were that close. The castle seemed to just suddenly appear. Instead of heading for the closest door, Bankotsu turned and strode along the perimeter of the castle. By this time Kagome was getting tired and just wanted to fall into bed. She twitched each time one of the, yet unseen, amarok broke into a fresh spate of howling. They were sounding very close and very hungry.
 
“Are we there yet?” Kagome demanded. “Those amarok things sound like they are getting closer. Just pick a door already and open it.”
 
Bankotsu cast an amused glance at her over his shoulder. “The amarok are the least of your worries if you go through the wrong door, girl. Many of the residents don't take kindly to interruptions. I'm sure Naraku would punish anyone who flailed the flesh from your bones or sucked your brain out with a bendy straw, but it would be too late for you. Be patient. You'll live longer that way.”
 
He finally chose a door that, wonder of wonders, looked just like the last half dozen they had passed. It opened into another one of those long white halls, with periodic doors and torches flickering in sconces at regular intervals. After another five minutes of walking, Kagome would swear that the particular hallway they were traipsing down looked familiar. Oh yeah, she was definitely losing it.
 
Kagura suddenly appeared before them. Kagome sighed and rolled her eyes. At this rate she was never going to get to bed.
 
“Let me guess,” she said to the demon. “Naraku would like to talk to me. And it's so terribly important that it can't wait until morning.”
 
“Huh. Pretty sharp for a human.” Kagura ran her fingers over the fan tucked into her sash. “A word of advice, mortal. Watch that tongue of yours or you might get it sliced off.”
 
Kagome huffed and crossed her arms over her chest.
 
“Running escort duty again, Kagura,” Bankotsu said with a mocking gleam in his eye. “This is what, the third time this year. Naraku must be really pissed at you this time.”
 
Kagura narrowed her eyes. “Be careful what you say, human. At the end of the day I still rank higher than some human scum.”
 
“Don't get too cocky, demon bitch. You aren't that high in Naraku's estimation.” He flipped her off, turned, and strode down the hall, disappearing through one of the doorways lining it.
 
“Bastard.” Kagura spat after him. She looked at Kagome who automatically took a step back at the raw hatred in her eyes. “Move, mortal.”
 
Kagome bade a wistful farewell to getting some sleep anytime soon as Kagura took charge of the tour. She was stumbling in exhaustion by the time the grumpy demon came to a stop. She forced her bleary eyes to focus on the door in front of her.
 
“Oh no. I don't have to go through the slug room again, do I?”
 
Kagura gave her a disgusted look. “Just get moving, mortal. Naraku hates to be kept waiting.” She flung open the door and all but pushed Kagome through it.
 
Kagome swayed for a minute as she looked around, trying to get her bearings. Which proved about as useful as last time. The room was pitch black except for the two lines of glowing things meandering across the floor.
 
Making up her mind that this was getting ridiculous, Kagome turned around right where she stood. She'd just go back through the door, find a room with a bed, and finally get some sleep. Naraku could just go fuck himself for all she cared.
 
She grabbed for the area she guessed the doorknob would be in. As usual, she couldn't see her own hand in front of her face, let alone something big like a door. Her fingers encountered something that tore when she reached through it. Disgusted, she pulled her hand back and shook it. Whatever it was, it was sticky and wouldn't come off. It took her several seconds to realize she could see the vague outline of her hand, because whatever was coating it was glowing. The glow wavered, but she figured it was just fatigue that was making it appear to move. The stuff was making her hand tickle, so she brought her hand closer to her face to better help her get the stuff off.
 
Tiny glowing spiders were crawling over her hand and up her arm.
 
Kagome screamed and jumped sideways. Something crunched under her foot. She looked down to see that the glowing lines weren't slugs, but millions of spiders. They skittered in two solid lines except where her foot had just crushed several. The spiders in that area milled in confusion, with some starting to climb over her shoe and head for her pant leg.
 
“EEEEEK!”
 
Quite wide awake now, she flung her arms out and gyrated wildly. In her state of panic, she stumbled over the border of the spider-defined path.
 
“Yeowch!” Kagome managed to scramble back onto the path as her skin started burning. She couldn't remember which way was forward. Spinning around again, she took a wild guess and bolted down the path.
 
Please let this be right. Please let this be right. Please let—Kagome's silent plea cut off as she ran full tilt into a wall. Alternately swearing and praying, she scrabbled at the hard surface, almost weeping in relief when she found a doorknob. At this point she didn't care where the door led as long as there was light and no spiders.
 
She burst through the door and slammed it shut behind her, puffing hard. A tiny spider on her shoe waved its front pair of legs at her, fell to the floor, and curled its legs in the classic pose of spider death. Several more spiders dropped from her clothes and her hair, twitched a couple of times, and expired.
 
“That wasn't very nice. These spiders can't live outside their special room.”
 
Kagome jumped at the sound of Naraku's slightly amused voice. She looked up to see him sitting on his white marble throne. Briefly she wondered if he ever left it. No one else was present, not even the silent ghost girl Kanna.
 
“No need to linger in the doorway with the dead spiders, child.” Naraku beckoned with one elegant hand. “You are invited, after all.”
 
Taking a deep breath, Kagome raked her fingers through her hair, flinching as she dislodged disintegrating webs and spider corpses. She forced her shaking legs to walk the floor between the rows of glass-enclosed animals to the foot of the dais.
 
“I'd like to go home now,” she stated firmly once she came to a stop. “It's been a lovely visit—“ not “—but I'd like to leave.”
 
“And where might home be, lovely Kagome?” Naraku asked, a sharply interested tone in his voice. “In Japan? With your family? Or at the North Pole? With Inuyasha?”
 
Kagome swallowed as she realized that when she had said home she was thinking of cold snowy fields, her friends Kaede, Shippou, Sango, Miroku… And of a certain boy with a caustic temper to match her own and dog ears on the top of his head. “With my family, of course.”
 
“Of course.” Naraku abruptly arose from his throne and descended the dais. Kagome automatically backed up, watching him warily.
 
He smiled, plainly amused at her reaction. Kagome forced herself to stand still and not flinch when Naraku placed an arm around her shoulders. He started walking and, with his arm draped over her, Kagome was forced to come with him.
 
He led her to a blank wall and waved his hand at it. The wall turned transparent, like a window. It looked out onto a portion of the gardens. Several imps not unlike Jaken scurried over the ground, weeding, watering, and doing other garden-like chores. Kagome wondered why they were doing all that now, when the sun had set quite some time ago. The gardens were bathed in darkness, forcing the imps to work by torchlight.
 
“Beautiful, aren't they?” Naraku said. Kagome nodded. “You know, Kaede and that half-breed Inuyasha could quite easily create the same wonders at the North Pole.”
 
“Why don't they?” Kagome asked curiously. Who wouldn't want to live surrounded by lush gardens instead of in snow and darkness for most of the year?
 
“They're selfish, child.”
 
Kagome jerked around to stare at Naraku, shrugging his arm off her shoulders. Selfish? Kaede had struck her as a kindly old woman with the best interests of her people at heart. And Inuyasha might be rather self-centered, but that wasn't the same thing as selfish.
 
“Indeed.” Naraku nodded, staring out at the gardens rather than at Kagome. “They allow all that lovely wish magic to go to waste. People, children especially, create a magical reservoir with their deepest desires.”
 
“Magical reservoir?” Kagome turned back to blankly watch the imps gather up their supplies and extinguish the torches, plunging the garden into night. Off to the right, a full moon was rising—a distant white-gold ball with a nimbus of rainbow color surrounding it.
 
“Normally the gathered power flows away like water down a drain, of no use to anyone. Kaede and her mongrels have learned how to turn wish magic into Christmas presents for the kiddies. But they could do so much more.”
 
“So much more?” Kagome prompted when Naraku stopped talking. She still didn't trust him, but what he said made so much sense. Kaede had created so many wonders already. And rescued so many abandoned souls. Speaking of which…
 
“What about the children?” She interrupted before Naraku could answer her last question, glancing at him out of the corner of her eye. “Kikyou said that you take in orphaned or abandoned children, that you care for them until you find a place where they'll be happy.”
 
“Kikyou said that, did she?” Naraku's gaze turned speculative, though he still stared out the window. “Of course I do. They are a vital part of my—our—family. We give them a place to live… until it is time for them to go.”
 
Kagome made a small sound of appreciation in the back of her throat. She fell silent for several minutes, watching the moon climb higher in the sky. The shifting rainbow lights surrounding it shivered, like oil on water. Her eyes traced the shadows littering the surface, trying to find the man in the moon. Once, a few years before Souta was born, her father convinced her that the moon was made of cheese and that the moon mice would slide down the moonbeams to dance on her bedroom floor after she was asleep. Try though she might, she had never been able to stay awake long enough to see one.
 
“Where are the children?” she asked abruptly. “I could hear them singing in the gardens, but I never saw any.”
 
“The children are shy around strangers. And the gardens are vast. Come, child.” He turned and strode back to his throne. Kagome, taken by surprise, automatically followed him. “It is late. Tomorrow will be a big day. You will need your rest.”
 
“What's happening tomorrow?” She caught up with him at the throne, stopping dead at the sight of Kanna and Kagura waiting for them. She hadn't even heard them come in. “How--?”
 
“Kagura, take Kagome back to her room,” Naraku ordered, sliding onto the red-padded seat and accepting the glass Kanna held out. “And, Kagura,” he said as she started to leave, “remember that I am watching you.”
 
Kagura glared at him, her lips white. She transferred that glare to Kagome and indicated with a jerk of her head that the girl should follow her. Kagome barely registered the glare, except to feel fleeting annoyance at the beautiful demoness's attitude. By now, the adrenalin from earlier had worn off and she was ready to fall down right where she stood. Briefly she considered it, but the thought of a cozy bed and snuggly pillows was enough to keep her on her feet.
 
The shock of a cool breeze slapping her in the face roused Kagome from the mindless haze of exhaustion she had fallen into while following Kagura. She looked around in surprise. They were back in the garden. Kagura turned left and began to follow the line of the castle.
 
“Where are you taking me?” Kagome demanded. “I'm tired and I want to sleep. I don't want to walk anymore.”
 
“Be quiet, mortal.” Kagura didn't slow her angry stride. Her back was stiff and straight, and she kept fingering the fan stuck in her sash. “The doors only open one way. To go back, one can only go forward. And every single door to the outside can only be reached from Naraku's throne room.” Her voice dropped to a mutter that Kagome barely heard. “Twisted bastard. One day I'll be free.”
 
Kagome had never been so glad to see anyplace as she was when Kagura all but shoved her through the door and into the same black and white room she had awakened in. The faint click of the door locking behind her was not nearly as riveting as the sight of the bed. Someone had been in the room since she had left. The bed had lost the rumpled look she had left it in, and one side of the covers had been turned down invitingly. A mug steamed on the bedside table, with a selection of sandwiches arranged on a small plate.
 
Ignoring the drink and the food, Kagome paused only long enough to kick off her shoes and peel off her pants before climbing into bed. She sighed as she sank into luxuriant softness, wiggling deeper into the mattress and pulling the covers up to her chin. Belatedly she noticed a red nightgown laid out across the foot of the bed, but was too tired to be bothered with changing.
 
So tired. Kagome yawned, unable to bring herself to be worried over all the recent upsets in her life at the moment. Tomorrow's another day. I'll find a way home. I promise I'll find… she yawned again …Inuyasha. Her thoughts petered out and she fell asleep.
 
*^^*
 
Naraku let a smile curve his lips as he watched the mortal girl sleeping. Even as she slept he could sense the bright shine of her spirit.
 
“Enough, Kanna.” His gaze shifted from the small mirror to the girl who held it. Her vacant eyes showed nothing, not even curiosity. What a useful find she had been--unquestioning, obedient—unlike certain others.
 
“Show me the half-breed,” he instructed. The mirror's surface lit up like a small moon, colors shifting and changing until the vision solidified into a darkened sky full of drifting snowflakes. Inuyasha, long white hair flung out behind him and ears pinned back, bent over the neck of a young firecat who was gamely clawing through the snow-filled sky. Naraku felt satisfaction deep in the twisted black remnants of his soul. “Excellent. Everything is proceeding according to plan.”
 
Kagura entered the room, her steps slow in a deliberate attempt to piss him off. Disobedient bitch. Naraku didn't let his contempt show on his face, keeping his expression bland and even. Let her believe that her petty insolence goes unnoticed. She will learn her place soon enough. Her heart is mine.
 
“I did as ordered, Naraku.” It didn't escape Naraku's attention that Kagura rarely called him “Master” or “Lord.” “She sleeps.”
 
“You did well, Kagura,” -he paused—“this time. You may retire.” Kagura glared at him, but fortunately for her, didn't say anything. She turned on her heel and marched out of the room.
 
“Now,” Naraku peered into Kanna's mirror again, “it is time to welcome Kaede's mongrel to my domain.” The scene within the mirror became thick with falling snow. Inuyasha and the firecat struggled with the increasingly rising winds until, finally, they were thrown from the sky and lost to view.
 
*^^*
 
Exciting enough to hold you until next time? I hope so. Thanks for reading.
 
Food for Thought: Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?