InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Hijacked Honeymoon ❯ Chapter 2

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

 
 
Hijacked Honeymoon
Chapter 2
 
He knows my name.
 
Before Kagome Higurashi had a second to analyze the ramifications of that statement, the helicopter lifted into the air. However, the man who had manhandled her had finally released her and the door was still open.
Kagome didn't hesitate, she lunged toward the opening, preferring to suffer a five- to ten-foot drop than whatever these two guys had in mind for her. What she'd do after she hit the ground she had no idea. The limo driver must have been in on… whatever the hell was going on.
She'd figure that out later. First, she had to flee. And if that meant plunging out of the helicopter, she'd find a way to roll after she hit the ground.
“No, you don't.” From behind, a muscular arm wrapped around throat and dragged her back against a powerful chest.
She yelped in frustration as the wet and heavy dress hindered her movements. When he didn't cut off her flow of air, she stomped on his foot, but her heel missed and her high arch of her shoe did little damage. Kagome slammed her head back, trying to break his nose, but her head only reached his chest and that thick arm of his tightened under her chin, pinning her head back, arching her back.
She slammed an elbow into his gut, hoping he'd collapse with an off of air. But her leverage was at a bad angle and her elbow struck muscle so solid and dense he might as well have been wearing armor. So much for her limited self-defence moves. Obviously, she should have taken a class instead of ordering a tape. But just because she couldn't match the man physically didn't mean she was out of options. Kagome's live had rarely easy and giving up wasn't part of her vocabulary, although she was stymied at the moment.
“stop fighting me,” he ordered, his tone businesslike, and if hadn't known better, sounding almost sympathetic, even of he had shouted to be heard over the wind and engines. With his free hand he pulled the door shut and twisted a lock, but a glance out the windshield revealed another try would be suicidal. They must have been fifty feet off the ground and climbing.
Where were they going?
He straightened without releasing her. With her head tilted back, she had a view of his cored neck, mountained shoulders and stubborn jaw. He snagged a headset from the wall and jammed it over her ears, and did the same for himself, all without releasing his hold.
His voice came through the headset, brisk yet gentle. “if I let go, will you promise…”
She tugged at the arm across her throat. “I'm not promising you anything.”
His arm didn't budge. “I'm not here to hurt you”
“You already have.” She pried his pinky loose, attempted to bend it back. “you ruined my dress, my hair, my makeup and now im late for my wedding. You damn well better have a good reason for…” she stopped trying to bend his pinky, which was stronger then her entire hand. Fighting had been instinctive when she'd been unable to flee in the limo that she now suspected hadn't overheated as the driver had claimed. Her brain hadn't really kicked in until now. But nothing had made sense since her driver had pulled over along the deserted highway. Women disappeared from parking lots. Or from bars. They didn't get kidnapped by helicopter.
This wasn't some abducted by a psycho, but an organized operation conducted by three men. The driver, her captor and the pilot. And a helicopter was expensive, Kagome didn't rate this kind of attention. She wasn't that special.
Tipping up her eyes, she tried to watch her captor. “Did Hogo Tachibana send you?”
As she thought of her fiancé waiting alone at the alter and having to excuse her unexplainable absence to their guests, her fury rose. Yet perhaps these men worked for the FBI. That would explain the chopper, the limo, the lack of traffic on the road that had let them abduct her without witnesses. But it didn't explain his hold on her neck or his manhandling her.
Finally the man released her “it's because of Hogo that we're her.”
“You're FBI?” she turned around to face him, taking in the wary eyes, the big hands ready to grab her if she made a wrong move.
He shock his head, calling attention to the wound at his temple that was bleeding profusely, mixing with the rain and painting one side of his face red. She didn't feel the least bit sorry for the damage she'd caused—she actually wished she could have done enough to stop them from abducting her. But now that she had a better look at him, she realized she hadn't stood a chance. At six feet tall, the man had a muscular but slim body.
Wearing dark jeans and a dark shirt, he could have stepped out of the pages of the people magazine's issue depicting the top fifty sexiest men. He had a bold jaw, golden eyes and commanding cheekbones. And a don't-toy-with-me expression.
She didn't understand why they'd gone to all the trouble to take her.
She was a nobody, a temp, working odd jobs to make ends meet as she put herself through community college. However, Hogo was an FBI agent, in accounting, he'd told her. Since his excuses about why he often disappeared for days didn't add up, she'd suspected her fiancé worked undercover and had been unable to tell her more about his assignments. But she'd never questioned him too closely, knowing that after 9/11 the government had stepped up security throughout the country.
“Is Hogo all right?”
The man reached into his pocket, pulled out a bandanna and secured it over the wound as casually as Hogo knotted his tie. “Well I'd imagine he's a little perturbed that his bride didn't show up, embarrassed at having to explain your absenteeism and miffed that he hasn't a clue what happened to you, but otherwise, he's fine.” The man looked at her with quiet golden eyes. “I'm Sesshomaru Chikarou. The pilot is Jack Donovan.”
Why would he tell her his name? If she got free she could go straight to the authorities. Did he intend to kill her? Was that why he didn't care if she knew how they were? But she sensed if he wanted to kill her she would already be dead.
Had these men kidnapped her to get to Hogo? If so, they'd planned with care. With no bride's room at the old church, she'd donned her wedding dress at home. Normally her maid of honor, Sango Suzuki, would have ridden with her. But one of Sango's hobbies was flower arranging and she had agreed to set up the flowers at the church. These men had probably picked the only moment all day the Kagome wouldn't be with someone else. That kind of planning took brains and skill to carry off—which brought her right back to the idea that these men needed her to get to her fiancé.
Were they going to ask Hogo to give up some vital information in exchange for her? Shoving her wet hair from her eyes, she glanced from Sesshomaru to the pilot, reminding herself that terrorists came in all shapes and sizes—because these two were a pair of the best-looking men she'd seen in a long time. Especially Sesshomaru, the golden-eyed, cold looking type with the gentle voice, who had gone out of his way not to hurt her, despite her struggles.
“What do you want with me? Where are we going?”
“The explanations will have to wait,” the pilot Jack, interrupted, his tone firm. “Get her in a seat and both of you strap in.”
“Problem?” Sesshomaru asked, shoving her firmly but gently into a seat and fastening the belt across her lap, his hands smooth and efficient despite their huge size.
She didn't fight him. What was the point? She'd lost her chance to flee out the door until they landed again.
“We're going down.”
The pilot didn't sound particularly perturbed, she got the impression from his tone that they weren't making a scheduled landing.
“What do you mean, we're going down?” she asked, fear pumping adrenaline into her veins. But there was no one to fight. No place to run.
“Don't worry. Jack's good.” If Sesshomaru's words were meant to reassure her, they had the opposite effect; his tone was tight as he slid into the next seat next to her and behind the pilot. “What's wrong?” she asked, but then the motors cut out, making the answer to her question all too obvious.
As the pilot calmly flipped a few button's, pumping the pedals with his feet and adjusted the stick control with his right hand, her heart hammered her ribs and her pulse thudded. When they didn't immediately plunge to the earth, she prayed for the pilot to restart the engines.
He didn't. Or couldn't. But unlike a jet plane that lost momentum and dived into the earth, the chopper fell in fits and starts. The overhead blades still turned, keeping them from a completely out-of-control crash.
Perhaps this might be her change to escape. If the chopper went down…she needed to get out, run. But she had no idea where they were. She saw no lights below. It looked as if the storm had swallowed up all sighs of civilization.
They swooped, spinning at crazy angles, the storm buffeting the craft, the rain slicing against the windshield. All thoughts of escape fled. While the pilot worked his controls, her mind flashed over the reality that surviving the upcoming crash seemed impossible. Not with the tall trees below. Not with the chopper plunging first to one side then somersaulting to the other until she lost track of up and down and her gut felt like she was on a roller coaster that had jumped its tracks.
“I'm autorotating down.”
“Jack?” Sesshomaru's voice was smooth, as if absolutely nothing were wrong.
“Yeah?” Jack worked the controls, seemingly having no trouble talking and handling the emergency. “Got your seat back and tray tables in their upright positions?”
“Cute.”
The craft swooped, rolled.
“Oh, God.” Kagome clutched the arms of her seat.
She didn't want to die. She wasn't afraid of death, not after nursing her mother through the cancer that had taken her last year. For her mother, death had been a blessing after so much suffering and pain. She'd been ready to go—but Kagome wasn't. There were too many things she wanted to do.
She wanted to marry Hogo and finish college. She wanted to buy that sweet little house in the mountains. She wanted time to do more then struggle through life. Ever since her father had abandoned her mother when Kagome was a baby, first her mother, then Kagome had fought to make ends meet. Her mother worked in a hair salon during the day, bagged groceries at night and cleaned house on the weekends. Kagome had baby-sat and worked temp jobs all through high school and had earned a collage scholarship to Alabama. But then her mom had gotten sick and Kagome had to return home and take care of the women who'd devoted her life in her only daughter. Kagome had promised her mother that she would finish her interrupted education and Hogo had agreed, which was one of the reasons she'd said yes to his sudden proposal. Kagome longed for some stability in her life. She longed for family. She wanted to live.
Beside her, Sesshomaru reached out, took her hand, held on tight and joked with the pilot. “Kincaid isn't going to be happy that you ditch another chopper.”
Gallows humor. Who were these guys? Who was Kincaid?
“Hey, it wasn't my fault the chopper in Tampa had a bomb on it.”
A bomb?
“Is it true, Kincaid cant get insurance on you?”
“Naw. I'm expensive as hell, but that's because I'm damn good.”
Kagome would have rolled her eyes upward at the macho BS, if she'd known which direction up was. “If you're so damn good, you'd better got us down in one piece.”
“Yes, ma'am. If a don't, my wife Piper will not be…” Something in the cockpit sizzled, smoked. Jack flipped switches, and several of his instruments that had lit turned dark. “Sorry about that, folks.”
“What happened?” Sesshomaru asked, still holding her hand.
Despite the fact that the man had kidnapped her, she couldn't seem to snatch her hand back. Not with the storm thundering around them, the rain slashing and the craft pitching like pitching like a cork in a shark-infested sea.
“You don't want to know.”
Outside, lighting flashed, and she saw treetops through the windshield, but no clear patches. No place safe to set down. That was assuming the pilot could still steer, something she doubted as she coughed on the smoke.
“Brace for impact,” Jack instructed.
Beside her, Sesshomaru pushed her head down, then grabbed her hand again. “We'll be fine. Jack was born under a lucky star or his wife would have never married him.”
“How comforting.” Kagome beat down her fear, wishing she had something to do, something to keep her mind occupied. With her head down, she caught sight of the watch on her wrist. Five o'clock. She was supposed to be marrying Hogo, saying her vows in a church filled with neighbours and friends—not crashing in a helicopter with two men who'd swooped out of the sky and abducted her.
Kagome didn't have nightmares this bad.
She wanted to scream, but her throat was too tight with fear. During her mother's illness, she kept her hands busy cooking and sewing and doing collages to push back the tight ache in her cheat from constant grief. She'd read so many books, many of them aloud so her mother could enjoy them, too. Waiting for the impact would have been easier if she'd had something to occupy her mind other then thoughts of disaster. If she had to die, she prayed it would be quick and painless.
Jack chuckled. “Landing site to the right.”
Sesshomaru squeezed her hand. “Hang on.”
These guys had to be either the bravest men she knew—or crazy. Kagome caught sight of trees. Branches at odd angles.
In moments they would be down. Or dead.
 
 
A/N Ha cliff-hanger hope you liked the chapter ill update soon
R&R