InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Himitsu/Secrets ❯ Yuki-onna / Snow Woman ( Chapter 10 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

This tied for 2nd Place (along with Kelly O'Connor! <3 ) at the Livejournal Inuyasha Fanfic Challenge Community. The theme was "snow," so I decided to weave the legend of Yuki-onna into my drabble.

 

Nestled in the warmth of her bed, away from the cold outside, she sighed and listened as the wind at her window howled, sounding eerily humanlike. She was reminded of one of Jii-chan's harmless legends...about a woman who was made of snow. Laughing nervously, she chided herself for being silly enough to believe in one of his stories and settled into a fitful sleep.

<br>

~*~

<br>

She woke when she was no longer warm.

 

Her window was open, and her comforter, oddly, was dusted with snow.

 

The wind sounded so close now, and it was moaning with the force of a woman in anguish. She removed the comforter carefully as she rose from her bed and tip-toed to the icy windowpane. Fingering the soft flakes warily, she moved to close the window when something outside caught her gaze.

 

A pallid woman sauntered along the ground below, looking every bit as cold as the snow that surrounded her. If she'd ventured closer, even her icy eyelashes would have been white.

 

The white woman opened her mouth, but the steam that usually came forth from the warmth inside was missing.

 

Made from snow....

 

She crawled back into bed, now chilled to the bone.