InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ I Need You ❯ Reunited ( Chapter 16 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

DemonWitch: This is my disclaimer; I do not own InuYasha, its characters or any quotes I may use.
Sesshomaru glares: “Enough, I'm tired of hearing you say that.”
DemonWitch: “Bite me Fluffy.”
Sesshomaru's eye glow red: “If you insist…”
Rin appears with a scowl: “Sesshomaru, no! What have I told you about biting people?!”
Sesshomaru looks around nervously and DemonWitch laughs hysterically
 
CHAPTER SIXTEEN: REUNITED
 
Sesshomaru stared at Rin before standing, “You continue to ask these foolish questions and make me doubt my decision to save you. Are you hungry or not?”
Rin sighed, “Man this guy is stubborn. Why can't he ever just give me a straight answer?”
“Yes” she spoke aloud, “I am hungry.”
Sesshomaru pointed to Jaken again, “Then go with him.”
Rin turned to follow Jaken then did a double take of the creature, “Oh my god” she whispered and dropped to her knees in front of him, “You're that man. The small man I saw!”
Jaken jumped back and glared, “Don't be stupid child. I have never seen you before in my life!”
“But I've seen you. I-”
“Rin”
Sesshomaru's cold voice cut in, “Go with him.”
Rin started to retort back but when she saw his eyes, the strange gleam they held; she found herself at lose for words.
She nodded and followed Jaken to the door. Pausing at the doorway Rin looked back, “Can I stay here?”
Sesshomaru glared, “Why?”
“There's something about this pace. This castle. Wither you remember me or not. Somehow I'm connected to this place.”
She felt tears prick at the back of her eyes, “I need to find out. Please let me stay.”
Sesshomaru started to shake his head but when he saw her glistening eyes he stopped.
The last time he'd see her cry she was still just a little girl, and lost her pet bird. Sesshomaru growled to himself for letting such a small thing stop him from making a decision, but it couldn't bring himself to deny her.
No!” his mind snarled at him “You cannot let her stay. She's a human.”
She was here before” Sesshomaru argued back; he was slightly annoyed and amused that he was having a battle with himself, and over a human girl no less.
Yes she was here before. And she made you weak!”
I have become weak without her!”
No!”
“Yes”
Sesshomaru surprised Rin and himself by answering softly, “Yes, you may stay.”
Ring sighed a breath of relief.
“But” Sesshomaru held up a clawed finger, “You must leave when I say. No questions, no argument. Agreed?”
Rin nodded, “Agreed.”
“Now go.”
Rin closed the door and ran after the strange green man, “Master Jaken, wait for me!”
Rin skidded to a stop and covered her mouth with her hands; startled by her out burst.
“What's wrong girl?” Jaken appeared at her side, “Are you ill?
Rin slowly shook her head, “I finally found it. This has to be the key to my past.”
“I'm not ill” she whispered and a smile spread across her face, “In fact, I've never felt better.”
 
InuYasha helped Kagome and Sango climb out of the well, while Miroku kept an eye out for danger; specifically a dark cloud. Looking around, the women breathed deeply and smiled.
“Oh, it's so nice to be back here” Sango said with a sigh. Miroku and Kagome nodded their agreement while InuYasha just scoffed and rolled his eyes, “Whatever. We didn't come here to smell the flowers. We need to find Rin and make sure she's safe.”
They all set off in the direction of Kaede's old village but when they got there; the sight was not what they were expecting.
The village was gone, and two demons lay slaughtered.
Kagome shuttered while InuYasha inspected the demons, “They haven't been dead very long” he finally announced, “A day at most.”
A loud howl sent shivers up their back and InuYasha instinctively went into a battle stance.
Crashing out of the trees come a snarling bear-like creature, much like one of the ones lying dead at the group's feet. Only bigger.
InuYasha stepped in front of Kagome, “Looks like mommy's here” he muttered.
Kagome pulled on his shoulder, “InuYa-”
“FOX FIRE!”
Blue flames erupted in front of the beast; blocking it from its intended victims.
“Come on!” a voice barked and someone grabbed Kagome's arm, pulling her deeper into the forest.
“Kagome!” InuYasha shouted and he and the others followed.
They finally stopped inside a deep cave, the four adults gasping for breath.
“Geez, you guys have been gone too long. That kind of run never bothered you before.”
Kagome straighten and peered into the darkness, “Who are you?” she asked.
A demon stepped into the light, a grin on his face, “Don't you recognize me?”
He was slightly taller then InuYasha, with dark, golden fur covering his body and sleek ears pressed to his head. His long hair was pulled back and had a long thick tail that fell to the floor behind him. His blue eyes sparkled, “Kagome?”
Kagome gasped, “Shippo!” she leaped forward and threw her arms around the fox demon.
The rest of them just stared at him blankly.
“Shippo?” InuYasha repeated dumbly.
Kagome stepped back, “I'm so glad to see you. I was so worried after we left.”
She hugged him again, “I'm so sorry I didn't say goodbye.”
Shippo laughed and shook his head, “Don't be. Nestra told me you had come back and tried to say goodbye, but it became too dangerous. She was right; I'd rather have you alive somewhere else then dead here. I'm just glad to see you again” he frowned, “Why are you here?”
Kagome looked at InuYasha to explain but he was still trying to wrap his mind around the fact that the tall and strong looking demon before them used to be the little squirt he would abuse. He just kept shaking his head and muttering, “No way. No way. No way. NO WAY.”
Miroku rolled his eyes and placed a hand on Kagome's shoulder “I'll tell him.”
Kagome nodded her thanks and took a seat next to Sango on the ground while Miroku explained what was going on.
Shippo frowned thoughtfully, “Well, I haven't heard of any humans being in these parts for a long time. Or if there has been they're not here long.”
“Why is that?” Miroku asked.
Shippo sighed, “Ever since that dark cloud passed over here, humans have taken to living in caves; much like this one. So far it's been the only safe place to be. But most of the caves are miles from here, so humans have little reason to venture this far. Also lesser demons have been fighting over this land; it's become a very dangerous place.”
“Why this land?” InuYasha finally broke out of his stupor and joined the conversation, “There's nothing special about this place.”
“He's right” Sango added, “It's never really been sought after before, why now?”
“It's said this land possess some soft of…magical aura. My best guess if from the tree or the well. But I don't know why it's become an issue now. But whatever it is, it's like s power boost and demons have been craving it.”
“Like the jewel” Kagome whispered.
Everyone turned to her, “What?” Shippo asked.
“Before, when the jewel in my body; its powers weren't detectable, I guess my body was some kind of barrier; unless you were in close proximity to me like when Lady Centipede grabbed me. When it was taken from me, and out in the open, anyone could sense it, and even after it got shattered-”
“Still your fault” InuYasha muttered but Kagome just ignored him.
“Even after it was shattered, its power was not weakened, just separated. Someone could still easily find it. Now when put it back together, its strength become great again. A brighter beacon so to speak. InuYasha used it to become human and then we took it home to keep it safe; in case it became a problem again.”
“And now you're saying it has?” Shippo questioned.
“I think so”
Miroku and Sango nodded as they caught on to where Kagome as going, “So, it's been at the shrine” Miroku said slowly, “But with no barriers?”
“And the shrine is build where the well and tree are.” Sango finished.
Kagome nodded, “I think the demons have been sensing the jewel, even in my time.”
InuYasha straighten suddenly, “I think I get what you mean”
Everyone laughed while InuYasha flushed slightly and glared.
Shippo chuckled, “Some old stupid InuYasha.”
InuYasha rounded on the fox, “Who you calling stupid runt?”
Kagome raised her eyebrows, “I don't think he's the runt any more InuYasha.”
“Let's not start this now” Sango said as she stood between the demon and former hanyou.
“InuYasha?” Miroku spoke up.
“What?”
“What about Rin?”
InuYasha looked at him strangely, “What do you mean `what about Rin?' that's why we're here, remember?”
Miroku shook his head, “No. I mean. If the demons are after the power of the jewel, she could be in real danger.”
Kagome gasped softly, “I forgot she took it.”
Sango looked at Shippo, “Are lesser demons the only ones we need to worry about?”
Shippo shrugged, “Probably. Though I have heard that the Western Lord has been coming around here a lot.”
InuYasha's face hardened, “Sesshomaru? That stupid jerk. Why is he here?”
Kagome touched InuYasha's arm, “Rin. He must have known she came through. He could have come for her”
“Or the jewel” InuYasha snarled.
Sango shook her head, “No. He's never had an interest in the jewel before. He must be here for Rin?”
“Will he hurt her?” Shippo asked.
“Never.” Kagome spoke softly, “Sesshomaru may be a cold hearted bastard, but he wouldn't hurt her. He cares about her.”
InuYasha shorted and rolled his eyes.
“Sango's right InuYasha” Miroku added “He may try to hide it, and he may do it well. But Rin means something to him. He'll protect her.”
“Then why were you so against her coming back here?” InuYasha rounded on Kagome.
“Because she's safer with us! And you know it!”
Shippo turned to Miroku, “When did she come?”
“This morning…early.”
“Are you going to take her home?”
Miroku rubbed the back of his neck, “We have to. Even if she's with Sesshomaru, he can't protect from that cloud.”
Shippo nodded his agreement, “I'll go with you.”
Sango frowned, “But how will we protect ourselves? We no longer have our weapons. No offence Shippo but we can't all rely on your Fox Fire for protection.”
Shippo grinned, his blue eyes sparkling, “I know. But I do have something that I think will help.”
He reached behind the cave wall and pulled a large crate into the clearing. Quickly opening it the group starred into it. There lay their old weapons.
Sango's boomerang Hiraikotsu.
Miroku's staff Shakujo, and his small bag of sutras.
Kagome's bow and arrows.
And last but not least; InuYasha's great sword, the Tetsusaiga.
Each person carefully lifted their weapons and studied them.
The fox demon shrugged, “I always hoped you'd come back.”
Kagome and Sango each smiled and gave him a hug, “Thank you.”
Shippo handed Miroku a sword, “Since you no longer have your Wind Tunnel, you might need this as well.”
Miroku smiled and took the katana from the young demon. He turned to Sango, a strange gleam in his eye, “Hey look honey” he said innocently, “Now I've got another thing to poke people with.”
Sango's face flushed and she glared at her husband, “You lecherous monk!”
SLAM!
Miroku twitched from his dent in the floor and Sango walked away pleased to see she could still easily lift the Hiraikotsu.
“Idiot” Shippo muttered.
Kagome looked over to see InuYasha looking at his sword. The trusty blade still rusted over.
Sensing someone watching him InuYasha looked up at Kagome and half smiled, “It's kind of ironic actually” he said softly.
He lifted the sword and held it out at arm's length, “You have to have human blood to wield Tetsusaiga. And yet at the same time, you must posses the blood of a demon to transform it. One without the other makes this blade useless.” He threw it to the ground forcefully.
Kagome bit her lip, “I'm sorry InuYasha.”
InuYasha shook his head, “Don't be. I don't want any pity” he growled.
Kagome flinched and InuYasha sighed, “I'm sorry. I didn't mean to snap at you. It's just there's nothing we can do about it now. Let just go and find our daughter.”
He slipped his arm around her waist and they turned to the rest of the group, “Sorry about your sword InuYasha” Shippo said quietly while handing him another sword.
InuYasha shrugged, “What's done it done. We don't have the time to think about this. Let's go.”
As they left the cave, no one noticed Shippo slip back and carefully pick up InuYasha's discarded sword.
 
A/N: PLEASE REVIEW!!