InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ I Will Follow You Into The Dark ❯ Archery and A New Acquaintance ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Inuyasha. Rumiko Takahashi does.
 
A/N: be prepared: small inu/kag fluff and a longer chapter!!!
Thank you to my lovely reviewer, Esperanza!!! Your review was so flattering it just motivated me so much to get this chapter out as soon as possible. Thank you so much!
 
~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~
 
Again, I awoke in an unfamiliar place, which was very unsettling to say the least.
 
It was a very chilly place I was in, and it was very dark. I tried to guess where I was, but found I could not conjure up any explanation.
 
Then I heard a rustle coming from across from me and heard his voice, “Princess Kagome, you can rest, you are safe here.” Miroku said.
 
But where am I? I thought. But he must have guessed my thoughts when he continued, “Well, we're in a cave right now. Inuyasha and I just found the closest place to stay. Since you fell asleep, you kept slipping off the horse and we had to keep catching you.” He laughed quietly.
 
I felt slightly embarrassed about that, so avoided the comment altogether, “Do you have any idea what time of night it is?” I asked.
 
“I'd say somewhere around midnight.” He answered. Then I was curious, “How come you are not asleep?”
 
“Inuyasha and I have certain times which we stay awake in order to keep guard, although neither of us sleep very deeply.” He motioned to where Inuyasha was now muttering in his sleep. I chuckled as I said, “I see.”
 
I felt bad and wanted Miroku to get some rest. “Well now that I'm awake, I guess you can sleep, I'll keep a good watch.”
 
But he argued almost instantly, “And let you run away like before? Don't think Inuyasha let that little tirade slip past me. I know all about your little escape plan.”
 
He said, teasing. “And if I ever let YOU stand guard, a WOMAN, Inuyasha would probably have my head. And that will be the end of me of poor little me.”
 
I laughed since I couldn't totally argue with him over it. I then asked, “Where are you planning to take me again?”
 
“We're going back to my home town of Zama. The rest of the warriors should be there to meet us as well.”
 
“How long will it take us to get there?” He sighed and I thought I heard him mutter, “Always so curious.”
 
But I couldn't be sure, since he answered, “One to two more days tops, but we'll have to do a lot of walking during that time. All that matters is that we reach our destination.” He concluded.
 
I had nothing more to say, seeming as he was fully confident of where we were going, so I drifted back to sleep finally as I rested my head back on the ground.
 
~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~
 
I awoke to a sharp snapping sound; scaring me enough that I sat up abruptly to only find Inuyasha there, breaking some sticks.
 
The sky was starting to lighten up outside, but it seemed that Inuyasha and Miroku had switched positions, now that Miroku was asleep and Inuyasha on alert.
 
He stared at me while he waited for me to catch my breath in order for me to ask, “What are you doing?”
 
“Making more arrows, since I've been running low.” He answered innocently enough.
 
“What have you been needing them for?”
 
“Well, seeing as you must be fed, I've been hunting more often to see that you eat. There are too many skinny wenches around here nowadays.” That explained the dead cooked duck lying in front of me.
 
“Very kind, thanks.” I said, with the utmost sarcasm. This duck looked like it had been killed at least three times; it was so mangled.
 
“Is there anyway you could catch things without making them seem as if they've already been digested?” He didn't say anything, which made me feel slightly guilty for my words: he was feeding me after all.
 
And so, I took a bite, and found that it was no king's meal, but it would do nonetheless. It was certainly much better than the rabbit I had eaten before.
 
He stared at me as I forced the pieces down my throat. I could tell he was stifling a laugh as I practically gagged. He was positively evil to enjoy watching me suffer.
 
He sat there as I finished breakfast, quietly carving the sticks into arrows for later use. I then inquired, “You're good at using the bow and arrow?”
 
He looked at me questioning my intentions and answered cautiously, “Yes.”
 
I was silent for a moment, but couldn't hold my enthusiasm any longer as I asked, “Could you teach me, please?”
 
My eyes were so hopeful, so needy, which is why I believed he laughed, but he stated indignantly, “You, learn how to yield a bow and arrow? I'd be hanged for even letting you possess such a weapon. You'd probably get yourself killed anyway.”
 
I frowned at the fact that he wouldn't even consider giving me a chance to learn. So, I couldn't help but start moping a bit when he went back to his work and ignored me after declining to teach me.
 
He was quiet as he continued his arrow making, but after some time he stated, “Well, I guess it wouldn't be so bad, but today's not that good for teaching. I'm going out right now to do some hunting myself, and I can't be slowed down trying to teach you.”
 
If he saw the hurt in my eyes at his wording, he didn't acknowledge it, because he just added, “Stay here while I am gone.”
 
He stood up and gave me a hard glance before turning away to exit the cave. Even though his words and tone were kinder, he was treating me like such a child! Acting as if I would run away again as soon as he turned his back…well then again, that could be possible…
 
After some deliberation, I figured there was no way I was going to sit back and just let him treat me like this, one of my subjects, no less.
 
I sat on the cold floor fuming, and evidently our talk had woken Miroku up.
 
He had heard most of the conversation obviously, for he suggested, “Don't take `no' for an answer. Make him teach you how to do it, or you'll never get to.”
 
“But don't you think he'll be angry at me?” I figured I was treading on pretty thin ice with Inuyasha already, and being an annoying brat certainly wouldn't motivate him to open up and trust me.
 
“He's a stubborn jackass.” Well Miroku certainly puts things right out the table, now doesn't he? “People don't get their way with him unless they badger it out of him.” Miroku said the next part with a lecherous smile, “although with the ladies persuading him may be a bit easier.”
 
“Miroku!” I scolded. For a man that came from a holy village such as Zama, he certainly did not act as his humble elders would want him to.
 
He put up his hands innocently, “Whatever way you put it, I'm just making the point that if you want to see something done, do it yourself.”
 
Well, since I had Miroku's permission, I figured it wasn't totally going against Inuyasha's wishes if Miroku allowed me to go outside looking for him. Miroku had just as much power over my actions as Inuyasha. I waited for a few more minutes and then headed out in the direction I thought he left.
 
For a while I just walked slowly along the path that never seemed to wander far from the river that connected us to every place we were going.
 
I walked along until I came upon a silver haired man bathing in the river. I was going to walk past, blushing, but I did a double take when I remembered something. There were no other silver haired men around here besides- Inuyasha! The feeling I felt in the pit of my stomach was not unpleasant as I marveled at his beauty. Wait, BEAUTY!! I'm ATTRACTED to HIM? And yet, I couldn't tear my eyes away.
 
He had no shirt, on but he still had his trousers on, thank goodness. I suddenly wished I had a warning before I had come before this sight.
 
Now I certainly wouldn't be able to put my thoughts straight and form a coherent conversation!
 
His back was so muscular as he reached his arms over his head to scratch at his now wet hair.
 
I felt myself blush furiously for having admired him so. I saw his ears twitch and swivel back to where I was causing me to take a step back and break a twig. I gasped, louder than I should have, and stared longer than I should have because he swiveled around fully and found me there hiding amongst the trees with his eyes almost instantly.
 
I detected a flicker of annoyance erupt almost instantly from him. I turned around and tried to run away, as fast as my sprained ankle could carry me.
 
But it was all to no avail because I already knew he was much faster than I was, since he had demon blood running through his veins. I could also tell from his previous look that I was in SO much trouble.
 
I finally was brought to an abrupt halt by his sharp grasping of my shoulders and spinning me around.
 
I knew it was him, but I couldn't bring my eyes to his face, or any other part of him. I chose the small patch of trees just over his left shoulder to stare at. He backed me up against a tree behind me, pinning me there with one hand, using the other to pull my face to look at him.
 
I could tell he was trying to be as gentle as possible not to hurt me further. But his tone was deadly as he growled, “Why would you ever leave the cave, especially when I instructed you not to do so? Do you realize how much danger you are putting yourself into by just traveling by the mere light of day? It is my duty to protect you while Miroku is asleep, and you are making it so much harder than it has to be.”
 
I was staring at his eyes this whole time, since his grasp wasn't allowing me to look anywhere else. But I was very aware that he was still half-dressed, and I was having a hard time concentrating due to that awkwardness.
 
I couldn't get over how beautiful he was, even if he was so incredibly mad at me.
 
His silver hair was matted across his forehead, and small droplets of water ran over his chest as he was breathing very heavily due to his sudden anger at me.
 
I even thought for a moment that I saw his eyes flash between golden and red hues.
 
He released my face and put his other hand on my shoulder, pinning me flat and asked again, but softer, “Why is it so hard for you just to listen?”
 
All I could say was, “Miroku was awake and gave me permission to leave the cave.” I suddenly regretted saying that. Could I have sounded anymore like a small kid?
 
“Miroku…” He said quietly, and then louder, “Miroku gave you permission to come looking for me…” He said it as if he almost didn't believe me.
 
Well, no time to go back on that statement now. “Yeah, that's right, Miroku told me, so what ya gonna do about it?” I tried sounding tough.
 
Inuyasha let out a snort. “Well, there's nothing to be done now.” He let me out of his grasp, and silently, I was begging he touch me again, but he ran his hands over his face as if he was frustrated.
 
“Just go back now and tell that damn monk to get everything packed up before I get back.” He turned to go return bathing, I realized, so I stopped him by grasping his arm abruptly.
 
As soon as my skin touched his, I felt a sort of electric shock, that wasn't painful, but I couldn't explain it either. He didn't look as affected as I, so I pulled back quickly and stuttered, “I uh-um, I-“
 
He smirked. “Now what, wench, cat got your tongue?”
 
“NO! It's not that. I uh, I wanted you to teach me some archery. I know I asked earlier, but I was wondering if you had changed your mind.”
 
He crossed his arms and turned back to me. That action brought my eyes to his chest, so he had to cough a little and said, “And I thought only girls had to say, `eyes up here'.”
 
I blushed hotly, realizing I had been caught staring at him, and apologized softly, “Oh-I-uh-sorry.” I hung my head, defeated.
 
“Now,” he started “I have to say that my answer still has not changed. But I'm rather interested, why would you want to learn something like that?”
 
“Because it's something I'm fond of.”
 
“But you'll never use it in your daily life. You are a princess after all.” For once he acknowledges my status, but yet in a way that makes me seem out of his league!
 
“Who knows if I'll be returning `home' at this point?”
 
“Look, if I had permission to train you as your instructor had at the castle, MAYBE then I could teach you. But I doubt your mother would be pleased to find that a warrior taught you the `improper' way to do it.”
 
Now I saw what Miroku meant by fighting for what I wanted. So now was the time to mean business. “Look, this is what I want and I'm sure of it.”
 
My voice grew louder, “And if my mother has a problem then I'll take all of the blame! Please it means so much to me!“ I felt as if I almost had tears in my eyes. Now wait a minute, this could be my shot. A few tears and he'll have to cave in. Well, here goes nothing. And to think I wanted to avoid being a brat.
 
Inuyasha put his hands out in front of him in an apologetic manner, “Whoa-wa-wait, there's no reason to cry!” His voice was soft and I laughed inwardly at how awkward it was for him to calm a crying girl.
 
I let out a small whimper, which made his ears flatten as he fought over what he should do. I started sniffling a bit to add to the effect when he said, “Fine, uh, I guess uh-archery, wouldn't be SO bad for today…”
 
Bingo.
 
He then awkwardly, “Uh-, I'll just retrieve my shirt then, and we'll go back to the cave to get the bow and arrows.”
 
He turned to walk away, but not before regaining his commanding voice, “And wench, pull that crying bit again and find yourself in for a punishment.” He walked away too quickly before I could yell back at him.
 
A PUNISHMENT! And why did he always HAVE to get the last word in! I had thought I had won that round, but evidently not. He wasn't about to let his badass reputation go to ruins. And how the hell did he know I was faking?
 
~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~* *~**~
 
We returned quickly to the cave to tell Miroku what we were going to do. Behind Inuyasha's back, Miroku winked and gave me a small smile, congratulating me on winning the argument. Or so he thought. Evidently Inuyasha was still planning my punishment.
 
Inuyasha lightly gripped his bow at his side with his quiver of arrows hanging loosely on his back as we walked to a clearing not 500 ft away from the mouth of the cave.
 
He started explaining, “Archery is a skill that is only obtained through patience, practice, and precision. You must learn that it is not something that comes right away as a natural skill, you must perfect it over time.”
 
He had taken on a professional persona, which surprised me to say the least. This was certainly another side of Inuyasha that I had not yet seen.
 
We stopped as he ordered me, “Show me your stance.” I stilled and almost instantly took the rigid pose that Ms. Ayumi had showed me; was it only three days ago?
 
He laughed as he critiqued how I stood. “You look like a neko demon that just got scared half to death.”
 
I don't know why, but I suddenly became so embarrassed to have made myself a fool in front of him, all because of some stupid teacher's rules.
 
He came to stand behind me, and I found I took shallower breaths as he went and placed his hands: one on my waist, the other on my shoulder as he calmly made me relax.
 
“Take a deep breath, and let it out.” He advised quietly.
 
I did as he instructed, but it didn't help my quickly beating heart. He slid his hand up my waist to the arm that was gripping the string behind my head and gently pushed it down a bit so my aiming was more precise. “You're going to be aiming at the center of that tree.” He pointed at an oak in the distance.
 
He let go momentarily to grab me an arrow and placed it in the bow. He proceeded to place his hands back where he had them, but this time he was closer to me; I felt the heat radiating from him, sending a cold shiver up my spine. But it was a good shiver; at least I perceived it to be.
 
He bent down and his lips were so close to my ear it tickled as he whispered, “And release.” The arrow went whipping straight through the air, but ending at no certain point since my aim had mysteriously gone awry. Hmm…wonder how that happened?
 
How could I possibly concentrate with him doing that to me? “We'll work on that later.” Inuyasha concluded chuckling.
 
I SWEAR he knew the effect he had on me. “How'd you feel about that?” he asked. “Amazing.” I replied in a breathy voice. GAHH! Did I just say that!! I felt like banging the palm of my hand into my forehead millions of times!
 
He looked back at me with a questioning look, I rearranged what I had said and settled with, “Great, I mean, just great.” He still looked confused, but turned anyway to retrieve his bow. “Watch me.” He commanded.
 
I was struck with wonder as I watched him pull into an almost god-like pose; it was the only way to describe how much larger than life he seemed.
 
He released in an instant, striking a tree at dead center. He looked at me with a wicked smile as he said; “Now that's how it's done.”
 
I couldn't even speak, as I stood there with my mouth gaping wide open.
 
He laughed as he went to retrieve the arrow (since he could actually find his). As he returned he asked, “Up for trying it again? Or do you give up?” A silent challenge was in his eye. “Sure.” I replied, not wanting to back down.
 
I wanted so much to impress him, but why? He had certainly become a BIT nicer, certainly nicer to talk to. “Let's see that stance again then, shall we?” he suggested. I took stance again, having him yet have to touch me again, since I never could get it right.
 
This time his hands lingered at my waist as he told me to release, and I ended up hitting exactly where he had. “You're pretty good…for a wench.” He exclaimed. “And you're pretty good…for a baka.” I countered.
 
I noticed that the hands on my waist twitched and then released. I let out a nervous chuckle as he turned to gather his things, muttering the whole time of how he did things that I wanted to do yet I still had to go throwing names at him. Now really, could I let him get away with insulting me and not insulting him back? No way.
 
Later as we were walking back on the path, I found that Inuyasha and I had become much more comfortable with each other after having a few fights, but better moments as well. Inuyasha was almost becoming, well, a friend, although his stubborn attitude had only improved by a fraction.
 
“Well, now you have to find your own food since you can shoot now. I'm not getting up at dawn just your scrawny ass some food.” He teased.
 
“You wouldn't make me.” I added. “Dare me to, wench.” He smiled devilishly, sending my heart to my shoes.
 
We were still on the search for the lost arrow when he suddenly stiffened and straightened up, sniffing with his nose. He was looking around quite warily as he asked, “Did you hear that?” My smile turned to worry as I replied, “Hear what?” “From the woods.” He stated.
 
He put an index finger up to his full lips, I noticed, as he quietly stalked to a small bush off to the side of the path. I stood still, not wanting to make a noise, since Inuyasha was perfectly quiet in all of his movements.
 
All of the sudden, with his incredible speed, Inuyasha lashed out with his hand into the bush, and when he brought the hand back, he was gripping a tail of red fur in his fist. On the other end of the tail was a small animal that resembled that of a fox.
 
“Please-oh-please don't hurt me!” It was a child's voice coming from the small animal, and I realized that the child was sobbing.
 
“Don't worry, runt, we won't pull anything, but what were you doing in there?” Inuyasha must have realized too that the kitsune was sobbing, for he gentled his grip visibly.
 
The small kit turned in Inuyasha's arms so that he was holding him and buried his face in his shirt. “I'm hiding from King Na-na-naraku!!!” He let out a loud wail as he continued sobbing.
 
“KING NARAKU!? Of Atsugi???” I questioned.
 
The child just nodded his head. “But why are you hiding?” I asked sweetly. I didn't wish to frighten him further.
 
“He sent two of his henchmen, Hiten and Maten to kill my parents, and since I was the only one left, I thought they were gonna get me too, so I hid!!” I saw a surprised and heartfelt look pass over Inuyasha's face, but it disappeared as quickly as it had come.
 
“But you're all by yourself.” By voice did not mask my pity for him in any way.
 
The child's sobs had gotten softer as he murmured, “I'll manage.” He looked down as he wringed his hands together nervously.
 
“Nonsense, you will stay with us.” I insisted. I wasn't about to let a small child wander alone. The kit meanwhile had resorted to blowing his nose in Inuyasha's shirt. Inuyasha stiffened in discomfort, while I was fighting desperately not to break out in a fit of laughter.
 
“But, aren't you afraid of me?” He looked up. His large green eyes seemed to think that I did.
 
“Why, because you're a demon?”
 
He nodded his head. I went over to Inuyasha and gathered the young child in my arms. “Of course we aren't scared of you. You can stay with us as long as you want.” At first, Inuyasha gave me a look that said this was a bad idea, and as I pet the child's head, Inuyasha whispered, “Kagome, if he stays with us, you keep care of him. He is your responsibility.”
 
At first, I was completely stunned to hear him call me by my first name, and so, it took me a few moments to recall what he had said. But eventually, I had agreed to his terms.
 
After confirming that he would stay with us, the child seemed jubilant, now that he had found a family and hugged me tightly. “What's your name?” He asked sweetly. “I'm Kagome, Princess of Yamoto.” I smiled at him.
 
He gazed into my eyes with his brilliant emerald orbs and said, “I'm Shippo. Nice to meet you Lady Kagome.” I smiled at his politeness and said, “Nice to meet you too. This is Inuyasha.” I extended my hand over to where Inuyasha stood.
 
“Hey runt.” He came over and gave Shippo a small pat on the head.
 
His mood had changed get again, and after the few touching moments he added, “Feh, it's getting late, we gotta get back to Miroku.” So much for the nicer attitude, I sighed. Never could get too much of a good thing.
 
~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~* *~**~
 
We ended up not leaving our camp for the rest of the day, since I saw to it that Shippo was fed properly using my new hunting skills. Well, mostly Inuyasha's hunting skills. After a few colorful curses on my part, Inuyasha had heard and came out, grumbling about “pathetic wenches” and helped me shoot down a few birds and rabbits.
 
I saw to it that they were cooked thoroughly and fed Shippo with small bites. He couldn't be any happier, and I was glad that I could lighten his spirits.
 
Miroku and Inuyasha simply kept up with busy work, complaining that we still had a two day journey ahead of us in order to get to the forests of Zama.
 
I just ignored them and enjoyed the company with my newly adopted friend.
 
“How old are you, Shippo?” He chewed thoughtfully before answering.
 
“Well, to a human like you, I'm almost eight years old!” He held up eight tiny fingers in front of my face.
 
Although Shippo seemed proud of this fact, I felt my heart breaking. I too had lost a parent when I was seven, but he had lost both at such a young age.
 
Since I didn't want to startle Shippo with any tears, I asked, “So, Shippo, what is it that you like to do?” A cute thoughtful look spread across his face, and his tongue stuck out as if he was in a deep concentration.
 
“Well, I always did like picking flowers for my mama, and my dad would take me out a lot on hunting trips.” His expression became sad and he lowered his head to look at his folded hands resting in his lap as he said, “I miss them.”
 
I knew exactly how he felt. “Oh Shippo.” I pulled him into my arms, missing the expressions of awe that passed over Inuyasha and Miroku's faces.
 
Night had come quickly, and it was almost too dark to see, so I set up my cloak as a makeshift blanket to sleep under. Shippo looked like he felt out of place, so I asked, “Would you like to sleep with me under the blanket?” Shippo nodded his head eagerly and snuggled his way into my arms, immediately settling down and went to sleep almost instantly. I bent my arm at the elbow so that I could rest my head on my fist.
 
I was still awake, as were Miroku and Inuyasha, so all three of us laid in silence for a while just staring at the dwindling fire. Inuyasha nodded towards me with his head, “It's because of your scent.”
 
Miroku and I both gave him looks like he was crazy until he better explained himself. “Your scent calms him down. For demons, scent is very important. Your scent must have a very soothing effect on him if he settled down so quickly.”
 
Miroku asked, “And it has no effect on you, Inuyasha? Since you too are part demon?” His eyebrows wiggled mischievously. Inuyasha threw a rock at him, effectively knocking Miroku out cold as he muttered, “Stupid lech.” I couldn't help but laugh outright at that, and found myself wanting to clutch my sides in laughter, yet also not wanting to disturb Shippo, who was now resting peacefully in my arms.
 
Inuyasha looked at me confusedly and asked, “Now WHAT is your problem?”
 
“You can't--ever—accept anything slightly embarrassing that—Miroku says, and you always --knock him out with something.” My sentence was interrupted by a few fits of quiet laughter.
 
“Oh, and that amuses you?” He asked with a slight blush on his face.
 
“Highly.” He looked away, “I see.” “And what else amuses you?” He asked playfully.
 
Kami! How many different sides did this man have! He moved closer to me from the other side of the fire, slowly, like he was stalking me. “Well,” I started, trying not to give away my nervousness in my voice, “it amuses me that you always have to be the man and have the last word in everything I do or say.”
 
“Feh wench.” He had moved so that he was sitting on the side of me that Shippo wasn't on and leaned down to whisper in my ear, “I always get the last word because I'm always right.”
 
“You are not alw-“ “AAAAhhhhahahahah!!” Inuyasha had started tickling me and I couldn't help but laugh uncontrollably, although trying to keep my laughing quiet was painful, and Inuyasha knew this.
 
I rolled over away from Shippo so as to protect him from my flailing limbs. Inuyasha followed right along, not stopping the tickle attack for a moment.
 
“Say it wench. Say I'm always right.”
 
“NO!!! Never!!” I whispered loudly, but I kept laughing. “Consider this your punishment. Admit that I'm ALWAYS right.” I hated blackmail…and he was certainly a master at it. “No!” I kept laughing, “You're not always right!” My words were shouted whispers.
 
The overload of tickling continued for a good few more minutes, me trying to resist Inuyasha with every new sensitive spot he found. And when I tried to roll away, he'd catch me again, effectively pinning me to the ground.
 
Eventually, Inuyasha found a highly sensitive spot on my stomach, causing me to buck up uncontrollably, causing my nose and lips to lightly brush against Inuyasha's chin.
 
He sucked in a deep breath and pulled back instantaneously, and I had realized what I'd done after a few short moments. To a dog youkai, what I had done was considered a form of submission—to a mate.
 
I looked up and found Inuyasha had moved to the mouth of the cave, staring out into the darkness.
 
Inuyasha was breathing deeply and had his back turned to me as I stared him down. But, Inuyasha was having a hard time controlling his instincts, I could tell, and was probably trying to convince himself that what I had done was not of my own free will and definitely did not mean what he thought it meant.
 
I had stood up and walked over to where he now was, and was going to place my hand on his shoulder, but Inuyasha turned to me suddenly before I got there and dipped his head, which surprised me greatly, stopping with our lips only centimeters apart. I stopped breathing for a moment as his hand went up to grasp my cheek and he stared into my eyes, breath lightly fanning over my lips.
 
I felt my eyes half close, waiting and wanting for him to lean in and kiss me. WAIT, KISS ME!?!?!?
 
When I suddenly felt cold. When I opened my eyes, Inuyasha was nowhere to be found.
 
~***~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~
muhahaha, luckily I plan on updating real soon.
 
Til then,
<3 AkaiiNeko