InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ I Won't Tell ❯ I Won't Tell ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]

A/n: I know that I should work on my other fic, "Overcoming the Past," but I had this almost finished and decided to finish it and post it. I know it's really cliché, but I decided to post it anyway.

Disclaimer: I don't own Inuyasha and Co.

"…" Indicates words.

'…' Indicates thoughts.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~ *~*~*~*~*

Kagome stomped noisily away from the campsite that her friends had set up for the night. She had, yet again, been confused with her evil incarnation.

"When will people realize that I'm not Kikyou? I never have been and never will be. That baka! Who does that overgrown mutt think he is?" Kagome's anger rose slightly as she recalled the events that caused her to run off.

*^*^*^* Flashback *^*^*^*

The group of shard hunters huddled quietly around the kindled flames. It had been a long day, and everyone was exhausted. Kagome smiled wearily and looked around at her friends. Sango, a demon exterminator, was leaning against a transformed fire-cat with a small kitsune fast asleep in her lap. She was snoring softly, evidence to anyone that she was not conscious either.

A monk sat quietly, leaning slightly against his staff. He kept his distance from the taijiya, knowing full well that if he made a move to grope her while the kitsune was in her lap, he would suffer greatly for it. Kagome turned around and gazed at Inuyasha, the arrogant hanyou that she had supposedly fallen in love with, who was sitting not too far from her. She grinned sheepishly at him and he snorted, turning his head away from her.

"You know, Kikyou would be a much better jewel detector than you, wench. Maybe we should let you stay home and take your stupid 'school tests' that you are always so excited about!" he exclaimed cruelly. Kagome frowned at his unkind treatment, then sighed in exasperation.

"Inuyasha, I'm sorry I subdued you when I left to go home, but you wouldn't let me leave. It's not that I like going to school to take tests, but I have to in order to secure my own future at home in my time. I need to get a good education to make a living later on. Besides, I chose to go to high school. Now that I have decided to do it, I have to stick with it to the end. I'm not the type to give up or stop half way through a race. You should know that by now, Inuyasha." She looked at him intently, waiting for any kind of reply.

"Fine, I apologize, Kikyou…" Inuyasha mumbled reluctantly. Kagome's face became extremely calm and passive. Inuyasha looked a little frightened, but just tried to ignore her.

"What. Did. You. Call. Me?" Inuyasha thought back for a moment and paled visibly. He quickly tried to make amends, but his attempts were futile.

"Osuwari! Osuwari! Osuwari! Osuwari! Osuwari! Osuwari! Osuwari… OSUWARI!!!" she screamed and ran away from the camp. Inuyasha made a move to go after her, but Miroku quickly advised him to give her some time to cool down, lest she put his back out. Kagome made a mental note to thank the houshi later.

*^*^*^* End Flashback *^*^*^*

Kagome growled in a manner similar to a dog and sat down on a rock at the edge of a cliff overlooking the forests that belonged to Sesshoumaru. She gazed at the horizon and marveled at the beauty of the Western Lands with a sigh of resignation. A few stray tears journeyed down her pale cheeks even as she tried to blink them away and hide them.

"Why does Inuyasha remain in the past… with the memory of her? Why can't he leave it as a tender memory and move on? He is such a baka!" Kagome sat for a few more moments, her legs dangling over the edge of the rocky cliff. She admired the beautiful view it offered her of the woods and of the heavens above. It truly was a marvelous spot to gaze at the stars. She fell onto her back and stared up at the tiny orbs in melancholy longing.

"I wish the Shikon shards were as plentiful as those stars. Well, I guess they are a lot alike. They always seem to be just out of my reach, just like Inuyasha." Kagome watched the sky with reluctant fascination. The rustle of a bush nearby snapped her out of her lamentations. The young miko stood and reached behind her back out of reflex, then she cursed herself for forgetting her bow and arrows. She tensely waited for the intruders to reveal themselves. Her eyes widened in shock as Sesshoumaru stumbled into the clearing. His eyes were dilated and unfocussed and his steps were without their usual air of confidence. It appeared as if he was off balance and vulnerable, very unlike the taiyoukai that often battled with Inuyasha and his companions.

"Sesshoumaru?" she asked quietly and stiffened as the demon lord's head snapped toward her and he growled, low and feral in his throat. Kagome gasped as he made his way unsteadily over to her. He reeked of alcohol. 'Is he… no. Sesshoumaru would never allow himself to become intoxicated, and then venture out near Inuyasha's camp.' Sesshoumaru began to sit down where she had been lying just moments before. He eased himself down very slowly. Kagome furrowed her brows at his odd behavior. Sesshoumaru ignored her presence; he did not make a move to kill, harm, or kidnap her in any way. He just sat there and stared at the deep forests and dark skies.

"It's a full moon tonight," Sesshoumaru observed aloud. Kagome cocked her head to the side.

'Is he talking to me or to himself? Well, like he would actually talk to me. Either way, I want to find out what id wrong with him. He's acting so strangely.' She sat down next to him and wrapped her arms around herself.

"Kirei, ne Sesshoumaru-sama?" The taiyoukai looked at her briefly before returning his eyes to his lands. "You must love your lands a lot, ne?"

"I hate them," snapped the demon lord. Kagome stiffened at his harsh and uncontrolled tone.

"Why? Why do you hate them? They are so lovely and mysterious, especially in the pale light of the moon." Sesshoumaru laughed bitterly. His eyes were incredibly sad, as if sadness was all he knew from life.

"I cannot be the taiyoukai that my father was. I have not the strength of body or heart. I am not qualified and with the other lords conspiring behind my back, the only way to save the lands my parents died protecting is with Tetsusaiga… and that is the one thing in this realm and any other that I cannot have. Others have always controlled my life. When I was a boy, I was pressured to become stronger and wiser. Now, I must live and protect the lands that were left to me, as I am the eldest son of my father. While Inuyasha gets freedom and a sword, I am burdened with my heritage. " Kagome gasped. This was the true Sesshoumaru, no facades… no masks. ]

Sesshoumaru turned to face the miko next to him. She peered into his eyes and saw the pain within them. She gazed at him apologetically and he turned away, not wanting her pity.

"I understand how you feel. Inuyasha always expects me to live up to his expectations of Kikyou because I am supposedly her reincarnation. He never sees me, just her. He always compares me to her and puts me down when I prove to be less trained at something than her… but I don't give up. I persevere and do my duty, no matter what anyone does or says to try to stop me from completing the jewel." Kagome looked up at Sesshoumaru's face to find him staring at her in shock and respect. She tore her eyes away from his to once again stare and the village of trees just beyond her. Sesshoumaru smirked and did the same.

Kagome slowly leaned against his shoulder in a light sleep. Sesshoumaru glared down at the human but refrained from growling when he noticed that she had finally been able to find sleep. He envied her for her easy trust and carefree nature. He slowly shifted her so that she was lying in his lap. He glanced down at her and ran his fingers gently through her hair as she slept, his eyes softening unconsciously.

<^>^<^>^<^>^<^>

As the sun rose over the treetops, Sesshoumaru sobered and instantly regretted being so open with a human, and an enemy at that. However, he could not seem to remain angry with her, yet he was furious with himself. Sighing heavily, he softly nudged the miko in his lap. She stirred and slowly opened her eyes, slowly recalling the events of the night before and registering what where she was. She stiffened and quickly moved away from the taiyoukai, watching his movements warily. She eventually relaxed when all Sesshoumaru did was stare out at the setting moon and fading darkness of night sadly, filled with regret.

"If you tell anyone what has transpired, I will kill you without hesitation." Kagome stared at him defiantly.

"You can't tell me what to do! How would you know if I told anyone or not?" exclaimed with a huff. Sesshoumaru glared at her dangerously, murderous glint in his stoic eyes.

"I will… I will trust that you will keep it a secret if you have any honor, wench." Kagome fumed silently.

"Kagome." Sesshoumaru stared at her, confusion etched clearly on his features.

"What?" he inquired.

"My name… it's Kagome. Please don't treat me like Inuyasha and call me such things." Sesshoumaru nodded and looked away. Kagome stood by him and did likewise.

"You had better leave. The hanyou is searching for you and is getting anxious." Kagome was about to object, but Sesshoumaru cut her off. "You have a Shikon Jewel to restore. It's your duty, just as mine is to protect these lands. You can be sure that I will not cease in my pursuit of Tetsusaiga. I need it to fulfill my duty… and destiny as Demon Lord of the Western Lands." Kagome stared at him for a moment before smiling warmly at him. She nodded and began to run in the direction of the worried voices of her friends.

Sesshoumaru gazed out at his lands and resumed patrolling his borders. As he disappeared into the deep forests, he heard a whispered promise, carried to his ears by the soft wind and smiled.

"I won't tell."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~ *~*~*~*~*

A/n: Well, I know that this was kind of corny and short, but please review anyway, and please be reasonably nice to me. I really don't like senseless flames that criticize, but don't really critique. I want a well-rounded review, if that's not too much to ask. Btw, I will update my other fic this weekend. Ja ne!