InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Incomplete ❯ Chapter 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Author's Note: I originally posted this story a few years ago but decided to re-visit it to fix up numerous typos and other little things that had been bothering me. For anyone who may have read this story before, you'll notice that I've changed several scenes, added new chapters, deleted some pointless ones, etc. Hopefully you enjoy the revisions :)
oOo
Dark, ominous clouds rolled in bearing with them the promise of death and destruction. Every creature, but for the seven bravely squaring off against Naraku and his minions, hid from sight and trembled in terror.
Naraku. He had no regard for life of any kind, human or otherwise. He was the true embodiment of the greedy, insatiable, selfish Id; he felt no regret, compassion or empathy, and readily destroyed anyone or anything that got in his way. Having been unfortunate enough to experience no love during his wretched existence as a mortal man, he callously used the love his enemies felt for their comrades as his greatest weapon against them. He took every opportunity to twist his opponents' human emotions and darken their hearts with anger, doubt and despair, until those things which had once been a great source of strength became their greatest liabilities.
The human heart... It was such a weak and fragile thing and he took great joy in manipulating it; first with the priestess and the hanyou, then the demon slayer and her brother. It was such an easy thing to breed hatred and dissension amongst them. His villainous eyes surveyed the battlefield below the jagged cliff on which he stood, looking every bit like a king. The raucous clang of metal weapons and the trembling of the earth beneath his feet brought a wicked smile to his lips.
Who would be next to fall?
"Hiraikotsu!" Sango's cry filled the air and she hurled her weapon into the centre of the hoard of demons surging toward her. Hearing Naraku's dark chuckles over the sound of their shrill screams, she focused a cold glare in his direction. She wanted nothing more than to wipe that sadistic smirk off his face. He'd caused all of them far too much pain, especially Kohaku.
They'd entered this battle on the pretence that it would be their last great stand against the evil hanyou, the day on which they would finally rid the world of his presence, but fate had other ideas in mind. She cursed violently beneath her mask as Hiraikotsu was repelled by the body of a swarthy demon. Her dark eyes followed the man-sized boomerang and watched with dismay as it careened hard into the ground, wedging itself nearly half deep in the dirt.
Wagering a hasty glance over her shoulder she noted that the others were tied up in the midst of their own battles. Her eyes followed a long trail of death and destruction to Sesshomaru, Inuyasha's much despised older brother. His sudden appearance had surprised them all but it seemed that he had his own reasons for wanting Naraku gone. Inuyasha, on the other hand, was just as inclined to fling verbal barbs at Sesshomaru as he was to fight Naraku.
Calling out to Kirara, the demon slayer leapt onto the demon cat's broad back with a certain grace and ease that came with years of practice. The pair took to the skies to evade the demons converging on their position and made a bee line for Haraikotsu. Jerking her weapon out of the ground, Sango flung it over her shoulder and began to swing it in wide, sweeping circles above their heads.
If I can get one good shot we might have a chance of destroying that bastard! she deduced as Kirara flew in a wide arc around Naraku's position.
She soared high above the battle and positioned herself as close to Naraku as she dared.
Kohaku...
For too long Naraku had been allowed to manipulate him into killing or maiming whoever happened to cross his path. She bit her lip and hastily blinked away the tears that misted her eyes. He'd been such a good kid. No one deserved to be controlled the way Naraku was controlling him now. He was her entire reason for being in this fight. Apart from Miroku, he was all she had left in the world. She wouldn't let Naraku have him - not for another minute!
Narrowing her eyes with resolve, the demon slayer gripped Hiraikotsu tight and said a silent prayer to the gods before letting it fly loose. The weapon spun end over end, whirring loudly as it sliced through the numerous insignificant demons that stood in its path. She waited with bated breath as it neared its final destination. At the last second before impact Naraku placed a protective barrier around himself, sending Hiraikotsu bouncing off with a loud 'TWANG!'
Balling her hand into a fist she struck it angrily against her thigh and chastised herself for underestimating her enemy.
Of course he would have a barrier! How could I have been so stupid?
Closing her eyes in defeat, she tried to fight off tears of frustration. This is how it always was when they fought him. Just when they thought they were getting close, he would find some way to survive. How can you kill something that refuses to die?
Their jeers and wicked cackles of nearby demons grew steadily louder as they drew close. It only took seconds for them to surround her once they realized she was unarmed. Scowling, Sango turned this way and that atop Kirara's back and let out a tiny gasp when she realized that they had no way to escape. Kirara flailed her head back and forth and snarled viciously at the more audacious demons who dared to get too close, but even she understood that their attempts would be futile. There was just too many of them.
The throng was so thick Sango couldn't see her weapon until it emerged from the wall of leering demonic faces and knocked her clear off Kirara's back. With the breath suddenly forced from her lungs, she could only gape in shock at the sky as she fell toward the unforgiving earth. Thinking she would soon be crushed, she said a silent prayer for her brother Kohaku, asking the gods to spare him from Hell in spite of all the things Naraku had made him do.
A moment later her body crashed into Miroku's outstretched arms.
"Are you okay?"
He looked her over as he set her down, wearing a genuine look of concern. Shocked, Sango gaped at him and then quickly ducked her head to hide the blush that rose to her cheeks.
"Yes, thank you!" she managed.
Her tongue felt like a wad of cotton in her mouth. The air was dry and dusty, but she had a feeling it had more to do with the way Miroku's hand lingered on her shoulder than anything else.
"It's lucky you were able to get beneath me in time."
The monk nodded grimly and handed her the katana that'd dropped from her belt during the fall.
"Here, you'll need this. Stay close. I think it would be wise for us to watch each others' backs, don't you agree?"
The demon slayer nodded and turned her back to his, daring the demons surrounding them to come within striking range. The solid weight of the monk's body against hers left her feeling stronger than before. Though it was unspoken and often ignored, there was a connection between them that went far beyond that of regular travelling companions. She would sacrifice her life to save his and knew in her heart that he would do the same. He may be a perverted lecher, but beneath that light-hearted exterior she knew there was a man worthy of her good impression.
He was the other flame that fuelled her burning desire to see Naraku dead. Only once the evil hanyou was gone, and his curse along with it, could they ever have the chance to find peace - together - and her heart was so desperate for that kind of happiness.
"Are you ready?" the monk asked over his shoulder. Sango nodded and withdrew her katana from its sheath.
"Definitely. Let's take care of these vermin."
"Agreed," Miroku shot back with a smile and they dove into the fray.
oOo
Kagome gasped in surprise as Kagura landed gracefully in front of her. The Wind Witch's eyes flashed overtop her deadly fan, looking every bit like a pair of blood red rubies.
"So, we meet again," she said with little enthusiasm.
Kagome's eyes narrowed with determination and she notched another arrow into her bow. The Wind Witch didn't give her an opportunity to use it. Carried on the back of her deadly wind, a swarm of razor sharp blades made their way towards her, poised to cut her into a hundred unrecognizable pieces. She dodged out of the way, but without Inuyasha or Kouga's speed she was no match for Kagura's Dance of Blades.
Falling hard to the ground, she clutched at her injured calf. Blood trickled out from beneath her fingers, stemming from the deep wound that'd been cut into the flesh of her leg. With a groan she tried to force her body upright against the throbbing ache. Kagura inched forward, merciless and eager to finish the job.
"This is the end miko," she announced victoriously and raised her fan ominously.
Kagome flinched and called out for Inuyasha but he was too far away. He'd never get to her in time. She reached for an arrow only to find her quiver empty. Looking around in a panic she realized there was no one left to help her and the fear that settled in her chest was almost overwhelming.
I'm sorry, everyone, she thought, resigning herself to her fate. I'm sorry I couldn't defeat him in time.
Kagura's sudden growl caught her attention and she looked up to find the Wind Witch glaring at something behind her.
"Stay out of this Sesshomaru," she hissed. "This human is none of your concern."
Kagome tilted her head back and caught a glimpse of the demon's broad frame towering imposingly behind her. With Tokijin drawn and aimed at Kagura's chest he appeared as formidable as ever.
"Do not raise your weapon to me, Kagura, or it will be the last thing you do," he warned, his tone as hard as steel.
The Wind Witch 'hmphed' at his warning and obstinately lifted her fan for another attack. In a flash of white silk he advanced and cut her down without hesitation. Kagome knew she would never forget the look in Kagura's eyes as her life faded away. Even though Sesshomaru had killed her, she looked at him with eyes that bore him no hatred. It was almost as if she were relieved that it was by his hand she died and not Naraku's.
The pair watched in silence as Kagura's body dissolved into glittering ash and drifted away on the wind.
"Sesshomaru...," she began, not sure how to thank one of her greatest enemies for saving her life. He looked down at her with cold eyes and said nothing. Dismissing her, he turned his back and moved towards the heart of the battlefield.
Sesshomaru why did you save me? she couldn't help but wonder as she watched his proud retreat.
Naraku's howl of rage could be heard above the clamouring from below. He clenched his hand into an angry fist the moment he felt Kagura's death and seethed with white hot rage.
"Damn you Sesshomaru!" he cursed, glaring at the dog demon.
Kagome felt the ground tremble beneath her and a sickening sense of dread dropped her stomach. No! she thought frantically when she caught sight of Naraku tunnelling his body into the earth, I have to stop him!
Grimacing against the pain that tore through her leg, she pushed herself to her feet and began to run. She winced with each jolting step and she could feel the blood running freely down her leg but didn't have time to care. All she could think of was getting to the demon who'd saved her life before it was too late.
Naraku's deadly roots burst forth from the earth and snaked towards their intended target, intent on destruction. Desperate to do something, Kagome did the only thing she could - she threw herself in front of him and used her body as a shield. The roots cruelly pierced her flesh and burst out the front of her chest. She gasped softly as her body tensed against the invasion. The shock from such a grave injury stole away the pain as well as her voice. Gaping silently at the roots protruding from her chest, she reached out in disbelief to touch one.
Had she really just done that? Had she really used her body to protect Sesshomaru?
Naraku cruelly ripped the roots from her body and withdrew them back into the earth. From his perch, he watched the scene unfolding below him with a satisfied smile. It was always a good day when he could kill another loathsome priestess.
Sesshomaru's golden eyes widened at the image before him. The miko's body was torn open and her clothes stained with blood. Her eyes were dim as she stumbled forward and collapsed against him. His arm wrapped around her back to hold her upright. The moment he let go she would collapse to the ground, never to get up again.
Does this miko honestly believe that this Sesshomaru needs the protection of a human?
His nose twitched at the smell of her blood soaking into his garments and his frown deepened into a scowl.
Ridiculous.
Kagome's breaths were slow and laboured as she tilted her head back to look into the unforgiving eyes of her lover's greatest enemy.
"I know you have a good heart in you Sesshomaru," she explained with halting breaths. "A good heart shouldn't go to waste."
Sesshomaru's brows drew low over his eyes and he glared hard at the girl whose body had gone limp. A low growl resounded in his throat and he glowered over his shoulder at Naraku. He was tempted to cross the battlefield and rip out the miserable half demon's throat but the hot flow of the girl's blood across his hand reminded him that for the time being he had more pressing matters to take care of. Picking up the priestess's body, he cradled it in the crook of his arm and hastily departed.
Through the stench of demons all around him Inuyasha caught the only scent that had the power to make the blood run cold in his veins - Kagome's blood. He watched, helpless, as she collapsed lifelessly into his brother's arms. Almost immediately Sesshomaru transformed them both into a small, white ball of light and disappeared to some unknown destination.
Paralyzed, Inuyasha stared after the spot where Kagome had last been and tried to convince his lungs to breathe. It didn't take long for the panic to overwhelm him. He took a shaky step forward and buried his sword half-deep in the dirt. Leaning heavily against it for support, he glared up at the darkened skies and desperately called out to her, despite knowing that she could no longer hear him.
"KAGOME!"

Author's Note: All reviews are welcome and encouraged :)