InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Incomplete ❯ Chapter 41 ( Chapter 41 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

When Sesshomaru materialized at the bottom of the shrine well, Kagome still held tightly in his embrace, it took barely a moment for him to be overwhelmed. Though he fought it as best he could, the sounds and smells of her world assaulted his senses in a merciless attack and forced him to his knees. Holding in a roar of frustration, he buried his face into his mate's shoulder and steadily breathed in her scent.
The effect was immediate. Her essence washed over him and through him like a cool wave breaking against a hot sandy shore and calmed his beast. Closing his eyes he shut out everything else and focused only on her. Her scent, her heart beat, the way her silky hair tickled the skin of his cheek…for a brief moment she became his entire world. Only when he felt steady enough to continue did he allow his senses to return one at a time, the effect making them just barely tolerable.
Sesshomaru found himself wishing he had the opportunity to experience Kagome's world under more hospitable circumstances. He should have come to this place with her earlier. She'd asked him so many times but he'd always refused. He would tell her that one day they would go together through the well, but not that day. In truth he'd been far too concerned with whether or not her family would accept him.
He'd marked her and made her his mate without even meeting them and certainly not before asking their permission. It was a serious transgression on his part, one he hadn't thought of at the time but sorely regretted now. If he'd just given in to her whims and gone through the time portal before this moment it would've made things so much easier. Now her family would never see him as anything more than a monster. How could they when he appeared at their door holding her blood soaked body in his hand?
He let loose a growl laced with his annoyance and frustration before leaping upwards out of the well. With another carefully choreographed leap he explosively burst out of the hut, tearing its ancient doors from their hinges. Frozen beneath the glaring sun, he allowed his eyes to scan their new surroundings. They caught sight of the Goshinboku tree and he gazed at it pensively for a moment before glancing over at the shrine house. He nodded to himself, satisfied that he'd gained his bearings in this foreign world where nothing smelled, sounded or appeared how it should.
Hearing the splintering of wood Mrs. Higurashi looked up abruptly from her laundry. She froze in the middle of hanging her freshly washed linens on the line and stared with surprise at the demon suddenly standing in the center of her yard. Her eyes dropped immediately to Kagome's body cradled in his arm and she let out a shocked gasp. Dropping her clean sheets to the ground, she ran towards him, her heart pounding erratically in her chest.
"What's happened to Kagome?!" she demanded her voice laced with anxiety, panic and a touch of anger.
Who was this demon holding her daughter? Where was Inuyasha? Had this demon attacked them? Was he the insidious Naraku Kagome always told them about? But if that were true, why would he bring her through the well? The way he held her suggested he was no enemy, more like a close friend or a lover even, but the alarm bells continued to go off in her head. Once her eyes caught sight of the beaded necklace hanging around his neck, the same one she'd seen Inuyasha wear, her forehead creased and she gazed up at him perplexed.
For his part, Sesshomaru eyed Mrs. Higurashi curiously. He could tell from her smell that she was Kagome's mother and felt intensely awkward given the circumstances. How was he to explain this? How was he to explain their relationship for that matter? Deciding it was best to leave such details for a more appropriate time he quickly inquired as to the whereabouts of the nearest doctor or medicine woman. The middle aged woman stared at him blankly for a moment, the gears in her mind turning.
"You mean a hospital?" she asked hesitantly. "There's one down the street we can go to. Let me just run inside and grab the car keys," she pleaded, her voice sounding high and tight to his sensitive ears.
Sesshomaru nodded and his amber eyes studiously watched her dash into the house through the side door. He stood motionless while waiting patiently for her return. Each second that passed was more drawn out than the last, stretching onwards before him into infinity. While waiting he gazed guiltily down at Kagome's porcelain features and took in a shuddering breath. Her scent was already weakening. With every faltering beat of her heart he felt it fade a little more and his claws unconsciously gripped her tighter.
Her skin lacked the healthy glow and rosiness it usually possessed. It had gone so white…and her lips, those lips which normally held such a tantalizing red hue, were pale and disappeared into the sickly pallor of her cheeks. The way her dark hair rested askew against her skin only accentuated its paleness, and gave her a certain ethereal quality. If he'd known the story of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs he would've thought her a living copy of the story's heroine.
Even near death he could not deny that she was beautiful. He longed to kiss her. He wanted her to know that he'd finally come for her, that he was going to protect her forever after this, but the tender moment was interrupted by her mother's return. The woman came running out of the house pulling a knit button up cardigan over her shoulders and jingling something in her hand.
"Here, we'll take the car," she said in between pants. Sesshomaru eyed the keys doubtfully and the vehicle she pointed to. He sneered at the contraption, knowing that it could never travel as fast as he could.
"Climb on my back," he instructed, the suggestion sounding more like a demand than a request. Kagome's mother eyed him dubiously but obeyed him without question.
She'd only just wrapped her arms around his neck before he took off, his legs moving propelling them forward faster than she'd ever travelled in her life. Her eyes watered from the stinging winds that whipped at her face, yet she still did her best to direct him towards the hospital. She was stunned when barely a minute later he let her down just outside the emergency room doors. He stared at her expectantly and she shook her head to bring herself back to her senses. Nodding to him she walked briskly towards the sliding glass doors and motioned for him to join her.
Sesshomaru instead stood stock still and stared up at the towering structure before him. He had serious reservations about taking his mate into this so called "hospital". No matter where he turned, all he could smell was blood and death. It practically surrounded the building like an aura. The woman seemed insistent and he could sense no deception from her, so he reluctantly followed.
Once through the large sliding doors marked "EMERGENCY" he snorted in an attempt to block out the stinging smell of antiseptic that burned his nose and made his eyes water. He couldn't identify anything he smelt or saw; everything looked foreign and odd and made him feel as ignorant as a pup. He didn't appreciate feeling weak, no matter what the circumstance, and he felt a low growl rumble within his chest.
Still growling, his eyes snapped up and narrowed at the group of humans closing in on him. Two men dressed in white, accompanied by several women dressed in blue, grasped at Kagome and attempted to remove her from his grasp. Not understanding the situation he snarled at them menacingly, sending them skittering backwards with their hands up and their eyes wide.
The gang of doctors and nurses glanced between one another warily as he held them at bay with his steely glare. At the feeling of something on his arm he tore his murderous gaze away from the doctors long enough to let it fall upon the reassuring hand Kagome's mother placed upon it. Confused he lifted his eyes to hers.
"It's okay, give her to them. They're going to help her," she explained soothingly. The demon studied her for a moment, as if trying to decide whether to trust her or not. Finally, reluctantly, he held Kagome out to the people in blue and white and they enveloped her like a sea. Before he could react, the weight of her body was gone from his arm and she was heading through a door marked "SURGERY" on a white bed with wheels.
Sesshomaru stood in the middle of the waiting room, an island unto himself amidst a sea of humans. The only person he knew in this world had just disappeared through metal doors he could not enter and he immediately felt the loss of her presence. She was gone, he was helpless, and the loneliness that engulfed him suddenly felt like a great void carved into the center of his being.
He ignored the strange looks cast his way and the back-handed comments made about his appearance. Looking down he realized that Kagome's blood stained his white silk attire from chest to thigh. Though he normally took great pride his appearance he couldn't have cared less that he looked like a rabid dog. Feeling the warm pressure of a hand on his arm once more, he looked down at the woman standing by his side. She attempted a reassuring smile but he could see the tears brimming in her eyes. She stank of fear and it set him immediately on edge. Had he made the right choice in bringing his mate to these people?
"Come," she said softly, motioning towards the door. "Let's get you a change of clothes and then you can tell me what happened to my daughter."
Sesshomaru's breath faltered and he could hear nothing but the pounding of his own heart in his ears. He didn't have the right to tell them. The truth would irreparably tarnish Kagome's name and he didn't want to think about what the consequences would be for her. In his time it was not uncommon for a girl who became pregnant before marriage to be removed from the household, regardless of how it'd happened. He knew next to nothing about Kagome's family, apart from little tidbits of information she'd given him. Would they be the type to cast out their only daughter? From listening to her stories he understood how deeply she cared for them. If they cast her out it would surely destroy her and yet, they deserved to know the truth.
He swallowed hard and fisted his claws into the flesh of his palm. Why Inuyasha? Why did you do this to her you mongrel bastard! She didn't deserve it. I swear…the next time we meet I will squeeze the life from your pathetic human body with joy.
A shrill beeping sound invaded his thoughts and he noticed another white coat checking a black box on his hip before dashing towards the doors they'd pushed Kagome through. With his mate so near death a part of him adamantly refused to leave the hospital grounds. He felt helpless enough as it was and couldn't understand how leaving would make things any easier. He couldn't abandon her again. What if she needed him? What if she woke up and saw he wasn't at her side? She would never know that he'd returned for her, never know that he still loved her…
Seeing his hesitation, Mrs. Higurashi persisted. "I can tell you obviously care about my daughter very much. I'm worried about her as well, but there is nothing more you can do for her. We have to let the doctor's do their thing. She will be in surgery for another couple of hours at least. We have time to go home and get you some fresh clothes before she's out."
Taking one last long, hard look at the large metal doors that'd quickly become his nemesis, Sesshomaru finally conceded and followed the woman out of the hospital. He felt his shoulders relax once they were away from the overwhelming scents of death and antiseptic that seemed to permeate every orifice of the building. They stood outside only a moment before something called a "TAXI" picked them up and carried them back to the shine in grim silence.
It was dark by the time the nurses allowed the Higurashi family to see Kagome. Though it'd only been a few hours since their arrival at the hospital, it felt like an eternity for all of them. Sesshomaru's thoughts remained fixated on Kagome's life. His body was wound tighter than a spring as he waited to see her and prepared himself to react instantly if it faltered even the slightest. Thankfully she'd pulled through the worst of it though, according to her mother, which alleviated his fears somewhat but didn't stop the knots from twisting in his gut.
Considering the tense situation they were all in it was no surprise to the rest of Kagome's family that the demon was un-communicative. Any attempts they made at small talk were ignored. Mrs. Higurashi had the most patience since she understood from personal experience what it was like to have someone you care about near death. Nothing else matters when the person you love most in the world is clinging to life by a thread of hope and prayer.
She remembered all too well how it felt - as if your entire world was disappearing and you're helpless to stop it. For those who are so deeply in love they quickly learn that there is no world without their other half. It'd been that way when Kagome's father died. As she'd looked with sympathetic eyes at the silent silver haired demon sitting alone in the corner of the waiting room, Mrs. Higurashi had realized that it must also be that way for him.
They still knew nothing about the demon that'd brought Kagome through the well and he offered very little information about himself. He'd been silent since they delivered her to the hospital, not breathing a word of explanation about how she'd come to be in this mess. This troubled the Higurashis greatly, but they realized that there would be time once all the drama was over to find out the truth. Not just about what'd happened to Kagome on the other side of the well, but who this demon was and what role he played in it as well.
Sesshomaru realized full well that he wasn't making the best first impression on Kagome's family, but he wasn't all too concerned with their feelings at the moment. Once he saw his mate and ensured she was safe he would tell them everything they needed to know, but until that time, he decided, they would just have to wait.
When the family entered the room it was deathly silent, apart from the periodic beep of the heart monitor and the faint hiss from the oxygen tank. Kagome lay perfectly still beneath a rose coloured knit blanket and slept peacefully under the influence of post-operative morphine. Her face was still pale and waxy from the blood loss, and her ebony hair fanned around her head atop the starchy white pillow in an elegant halo. She looked like a dark angel of the night, or maybe even the angel of death herself.
Sesshomaru paused a few feet from the end of the bed and took in all of the wires and cables hooked up to her body. His claws dug once more into his palm as eyes studied the needles piercing her arms, the machines beeping nearby and the tubes coming out of her body - what had they done to her? He inched closer but stopped short of reaching for her. He realized with frustration that he didn't know what any of the machines did. Were they a force field designed to repel anything that go too close? Was this how humans in Kagome's time protected their sick?
Mrs. Higurashi noticed his pause and took pity on his ignorance. Stepping beside the bed she carefully explained what each of the devices did and why they were necessary.
"Do these 'IV's and 'heart monitors' hurt her?" he asked seriously, his stern features looking especially grim. He fixed Kagome's mother with a set of piercing gold eyes, and they appeared sad to her in the glare of the single fluorescent light hanging above the bed. She gave him a faint smile as she shook her head 'no'.
"I don't think she's in any pain right now. We have strong medicines in our world that take away even the worst kinds of pain."
Sesshomaru nodded thoughtfully and stepped up next to the bed. His honey coloured eyes travelled slowly down the length of his mate's body. He wanted to reassure himself that this was real, that she was actually alive. He was so afraid of reaching out to her and discovering that she was a vision or a dream, a figment of his twisted imagination. He tentatively lowered his claws to her leg, its hard length reassuring beneath the soft blanket. Reaching up, he lifted her limp hand gently off the bed and grazed his thumb across her knuckles.
He studied her face intently, searching for any signs of life no matter how small. He remained hopeful that she would respond to his touch, but her features were frozen in sleep. Her body didn't move or acknowledge him in any way and it was a crushing blow to his pride. Letting a defeated sigh escape from his lips, he used the edge of his claw to brush the bangs away from her eyes and allowed his knuckle to graze her porcelain cheek as he drew his hand away.
Collapsing into a nearby chair, his body released some of the tension it'd been storing over the past day. He hadn't breathed easily since the moment he'd found her in the forest. Now that he had some reassurance that she would survive, it was as if great weights had been lifted from his shoulders; the dual burdens of guilt and responsibility. Sesshomaru's shoulders visibly sagged as he tried to melt his body into the imitation leather upholstery of the chair. Resting his head against the baby blue painted wall, he closed his eyes in meditation and some of the tension left his face.
The Higurashi family watched him intently, entirely unsure what to make of him. He appeared to care for Kagome, love her even, but who was he? What'd happened to Inuyasha? And since when was Kagome pregnant? Why hadn't she told them or come through the well for the past few months? Sure her visits home were sporadic at best but she'd never gone more than a few weeks without coming home at least once. Apparently much had happened during her most recent absence and there were still many things they needed to know.
With a grim countenance and professionally curt manner the surgeon informed them that they'd successfully stopped the internal bleeding resulting from her miscarriage. Sesshomaru listened silently as the doctor explained that it was common for women to miscarry in their first and second trimesters. His jaw clenched painfully at the surgeon's falsely reassuring words. What'd happened to Kagome was no accident. It was because of him that she'd nearly died. He'd abandoned her and she'd come after him. She'd over exerted herself, forcing the child from her womb too early and nearly bled to death as a result.
For him…she'd done it for him and he would never forgive himself for putting her through such pain. He'd always criticized and chided Inuyasha for not being able to take care of her, but he too had failed her and almost paid the ultimate price for his incompetence.
Mrs. Higurashi waited a moment after the doctor left the room before she spoke up. He couldn't avoid their questions anymore. They deserved answers and she had a feeling he realized this as well. He opened his amber eyes and gazed directly at her with a placid expression on his face.
"Well, I suppose we could use an introduction. Who are you exactly?" she asked softly. That one was easy.
"I am Sesshomaru, Lord of the Western Lands. I am Inuyasha's half-brother, though it disgusts me to admit I have any relation to that half breed. I am also Kagome's…," At this he paused. What was he? How could he describe what they had together in terms her family would understand? Clearing his throat he shifted in his seat. "…She is my mate," he finished lamely, feeling the heat rise to his cheeks though no visible blush formed there.
The family exchanged confused looks. What about Inuyasha? Last time they'd seen Kagome she'd been head over heels for the half-demon. Up until now they'd never even heard of this 'Sesshomaru' character. Perplexed Mrs. Higurashi asked her next question, her eyes glancing momentarily at Kagome's still form. "And the child?"
Sesshomaru hoped that once he explained the circumstances of Kagome's pregnancy she would be spared from her family's wrath as well as their shame and disappointment. Kagome had done nothing to tarnish her family's honour. He only hoped they would see it that way as well and forgive her. Leaning forward he let out a sigh.
"Not mine," he stated bluntly. Again, another surprise for the Higurashi family.
Gramps let out a mortified gasp and stared at Kagome's unconscious body with shock. What kind of woman had his granddaughter become? Promised to one man, yet pregnant with another's child? Mrs. Higurashi placed a complacent hand on the old man's shoulder and looked to Sesshomaru for an explanation.
He pressed his lips together in a thin line and thought of how best to explain to the family all that'd happened. He felt it was his duty to restore Kagome's honour above all else, but the words seemed stuck in his throat. Swallowing hard he forced them out one by one. "The child is Inuyasha's. He…forced himself upon her."
"Liar!" It was the boy called Sota. He darted out from behind his Grandfather's legs and Sesshomaru immediately noticed the raw anger shining in his young eyes. No doubt he looked up to Inuyasha as a hero and would be loyal to him until the last. The child pointed an accusing finger at him and continued to shout.
"You're a filthy liar! Inuyasha would never do THAT to Kagome! You probably did it and are just blaming him. Inuyasha told me what you're like. He said you hate ALL humans. You're always trying to kill him because he's half human and you've tried to kill Kagome a bunch of times too! Don't even try to deny it!"
Sesshomaru sighed inwardly as he gazed at the accusatory finger pointed his way. He felt the burn of three sets of eyes on him and resigned himself to fighting an uphill battle. He didn't understand the change in Inuyasha himself, so how could he possibly expect them to?
"I will not deny that I hated humans," he began and tried to ignore Sota's satisfied smirk. "I've hated humans for most of my life and when I first met Kagome I did try to kill her. Understand though that things are different now. She has changed me in many ways. I would never lay a hand against her and I certainly would not force myself on her. I've never forced myself on any woman. Inuyasha did this to her, as I'm sure she will tell you herself when she wakes up. Given her condition though, I hardly think it wise to press her to recall such a traumatic event."
The demon lord eyed Sota sternly and the boy shut his mouth immediately with an audible gulp. The room was silent but for the beeping machinery as Kagome's family tried to process everything he'd told them. Finally, Mrs. Higurashi let out a sob that'd been steadily building in her chest. Stepping to Kagome's side she cupped her daughter's cheek lovingly.
"Oh my baby…my poor Kagome. Honey, I'm so sorry I wasn't there for you." She wiped the tears from her cheeks with the back of her hand and kissed her daughter gently on the forehead. As her sobs died down she asked Sesshomaru her next question but never took her eyes from her daughter's face as she spoke. "You said that you and Kagome are 'mates'. What does that mean exactly?"
Sesshomaru's eyes dropped from Mrs. Higurashi's tear stained cheeks to the over-polished tiled floor as he thought of how to explain youkai mating rituals in human terms. "You might compare it to one of your 'marriages'," he began tentatively. "As mates, we have pledged ourselves to one another - she is mine and I am hers.
"The mark I placed upon her connects us on many levels. Kagome knew exactly what she was doing when she asked to become my mate so do not think that I forced her into this arrangement against her will." This last comment he directed towards a still defiant looking Sota.
"She chose to leave Inuyasha and came to live with me in my palace in the Western Lands." After a short pause, Sesshomaru added in an afterthought. "Mating…it is more than just a commitment to one another. It comes with the understanding that some day in the future she will bear my heir, but that time is not now. I knew she was not yet ready to be a mother."
He looked up to garner the family's reaction. Sota and Gramps gawked at him scandalized but Mrs. Higurashi had an understanding look in her eyes. Apparently she accepted him just as she'd accepted Inuyasha, without precondition or hesitation, and he was surprised how relieved he felt for it.
Realizing that it was probably best to leave the two 'mates' alone for a while, she ushered Sota and Gramps out of the room, strongly suggesting they find a coffee shop and something to eat. She shot Sesshomaru a warm smile and a wink before disappearing out of the room herself.
Finally alone, Sesshomaru stepped over to Kagome's side. He longed to hold her, just so she would know he was there. He couldn't remember what it felt like to have her body curled up against his and by the gods he wanted to remember. Seeing as the bed was certainly too small to fit them both he had to settle for taking hold of her hand instead. Picking it up gently in his claw he held it tight as he bent down to placed a gentle kiss against her lips. Even though she didn't stir, he hoped that somehow his message reached her. All he wanted her to know was that he was there, he loved her and he would never leave her side again.
Sensing a presence behind him, Sesshomaru turned on his heel to find her mother watching him from the doorway. She stepped into the dimly lit room, her footfall soft against the tiled floor. "You love her don't you?" she stated simply. It was more an observation than a question. The demon nodded to answer her, his eyes panning down across Kagome's face.
"Then you have my blessing. All I want is for Kagome to be happy. If when she wakes up she is as in love with you as you are with her, then you may take her back to the feudal era to be your 'mate'." Turning away from the bed Sesshomaru bowed low to her in sincere gratitude.
"I thank you. I thought perhaps…" he began but she cut him off with a wave of her hand.
"I know this wasn't your fault," she said as she motioned to Kagome's still form with a sweeping gesture from her hand. "Some things just aren't meant to be and for whatever reason she was not meant to have this baby now. She is alive and she will recover. For that alone we are eternally grateful to you and are forever in your debt. You saved her. You brought her home to us. Thank you."
Sesshomaru looked away, ashamed that she could think him worthy of such gratitude. With another gentle smile Mrs. Higurashi patted his arm before stepping quietly towards the door. Pausing at the entrance she turned and glanced back over her shoulder.
"The family and I are going to head home for tonight to get some rest but we'll be back tomorrow morning. Would you like to come with us?"
The demon lord shook his head 'no.' "I believe I will stay here," he explained quietly.
With an understanding nod, Mrs. Higurashi left and he was once again alone with Kagome. Pulling a chair up next to the bed, Sesshomaru seated himself in it and promptly took hold of her hand once more. Selfishly, he wanted to be the first person she saw when she opened her eyes. He wanted to be the first one to tell her that he loved her and say that he would always protect her. He also felt he should be the one to tell her about the child. It was his fault after all and he clung to the hope that the news might be easier to swallow if she heard it from him.
Bringing her knuckles to his lips, he planted a gentle kiss across them. Sitting rigid like a sentry on guard, he watched the steady rise and fall of her chest with unwavering eyes and waited for morning to break.