InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Incomplete ❯ Chapter 43 ( Chapter 43 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

In a place far removed from the ebb and flow of the modern world, the sun beat warmly upon the newly turned earth. Its golden rays encouraged the immature flowers to open their blooms, turning the once barren fields into vibrant rainbows of crimson, magenta and periwinkle blue. Succumbing to nature's rhythm, a pair of larks danced across the sky, the sun gleaming off the sheen feathers on their backs. Amidst their dance they dipped down to let the tips of their wings tickle the flowers' rich velvety petals and playfully teased them for their inability to fly. It was a quintessential spring day and with warmer than usual winds gently blowing in from the east, it was also a perfect day for new beginnings.
Kagome's head was the first to pop up over the splintered wooden beams of the Bone Eater's well. Her large brown eyes glanced quickly around the deserted glade before her large yellow pack was heaved out of the cavernous darkness to land with a thud on the grass. The bag was followed by the priestess, who heaved herself over the side with a tiny grunt of effort. Safely settled on the grass she glanced back over her shoulder to watch as Sesshomaru leapt with all the grace of a wild cat through the opening of the well in a single effortless jump. Crossing her arms in front of her chest she heaved a long suffering sigh, a mock scowl aimed in his direction.
"Show off," she chided playfully. He returned her impatient look with a blank stare and shrugged. It was his best attempt at humour. It was poor but it made her laugh and for once he didn't mind the loud chuckles that berated his sensitive ears. The delightful sound echoed off the nearby trees and sent a bevy of tiny woodland critters scurrying into hiding.
With a warm smile from Kagome and their arms linked together, the pair fell into an easy pace on their short journey from the well to the old miko's village. A comfortable silence rested between them, speaking volumes of their affection for one another where words could not. It had been a trying couple of weeks filled with trials and pain, but in the end there had been acceptance and forgiveness. Despite the odds and the distinct feeling that the cosmos were working against them, they'd survived. Their unlikely relationship had become stronger for all the hardship and they were finally in a place where they felt mutually secure in their love for one another.
While his ears focused on the sound of the sandy gravel crunching beneath their feet, Sesshomaru's eyes glanced discreetly at his mate. The healthy flush in her cheeks and the brightness in her eyes that'd been markedly absent the last time they'd travelled this road were back. It hadn't been easy, but she'd finally returned to her normal, bubbly, stubborn self.
There'd been more than a couple times during the past few weeks when he'd thought that perhaps the life that once shone brightly in those mysterious brown eyes would never return, but she'd proven him wrong. In the end she'd proven them all wrong. The doctors, her family, him…she'd shown them all what she was made of and it was far more than they'd ever expected.
Hidden amongst the silk of his robes, Sesshomaru's claw clenched into a tight fist. Though things were better now his mind continued to dwell on the times when he'd been unable to comfort her. On the long nights when she'd cried herself to sleep he'd been unable to do anything more than hold her. Those nights were particularly hard. Staring unmoving at the ceiling, with Kagome's warm body pressed against his chest, he would feel worthless and completely undeserving of her or her love.
He was still surprised that she'd chosen to forgive him at all. He hardly deserved it and would've understood completely if she'd demanded he leave, but she hadn't. So he'd stayed, as uncomfortable and awkward as it'd been, and now they were finally going home. Even amongst all this peace though, some part of him continued to fear that at any moment the tranquility and balance they'd found would be gone and she'd be robbed from him once more. And while he could handle almost any obstacle that came at them, there was currently one looming on the horizon that he was having a hard time coming to terms with - Inuyasha.
Thinking of his half-brother still put him on edge, more-so now than it ever had, but he still had enough control to keep his rage in check…for the time being at least. There was no telling what would happen when he met the bastard face to face. Ever since Kagome had told him of her intention to find Inuyasha and speak with him about what'd happened he'd felt like his hackles were up.
Every thought of that half demon cur putting his filthy paws all over his mate was enough to make the acid drip freely from his claws. Kagome may be able to forgive the mutt but he never would. What he'd done was unforgivable by any standards - human or demon, the fact that he was his brother made it all the more inexcusable. He realized more clearly now than ever before that their mutual feeling of resentment towards one another would never disappear, despite any future efforts they might make to remain civil for Kagome's sake. There was too much blood spilt and too much history of violence between them for it to ever be truly forgiven.
As Kaede's hut came looming into view Kagome stopped short suddenly and Sesshomaru was torn from his melancholy thoughts. He glanced over at her thoughtfully and waited for her to be ready. He could hear her heart hammering in her chest and questions for the thousandth time whether this was a wise course of action. She was determined though, he'd give her that much; determined and stubborn and completely foolish.
Nothing good could come of this meeting, he was sure of it but she was insistent. She told him she needed to do it for "closure" whatever that meant. He'd offered to give her permanent closure by skewering the bastard but she'd turned him down saying that it was something she had to take care of herself. He might have chosen to abide by her wishes and offer his support, but it didn't mean he had to like it and he had every intention of butchering the hanyou once she was out of sight.
A warm breeze picked up, blowing Kagome's hair around her head like a dark cloud. She ran her bottom lip between her teeth, chewing on it nervously while her fingers plucked wayward ebony strands from in front of her eyes and tucked them behind her ears. After a second of hesitation she reached down and took hold of Sesshomaru's hand, giving it a tight squeeze. She felt his eyes pan across her face, his gaze reflecting his concern for her well being.
She'd lost count of the number of times he'd counselled her against doing what she was about to do. She knew how he felt about Inuyasha, more particularly what he'd like to do to him, but he'd gracefully respected her wish to do this herself. Inuyasha may have hurt her more than she ever thought a person could hurt another, but she couldn't bring herself to wish him dead.
She felt Sesshomaru reluctantly squeeze her hand back before letting it go and she shot him a grateful smile. Stepping up onto her tip-toes she offered him a tender kiss before removing the subjugation beads from his neck. "Okay I'm ready. Let's do this," she said aloud, shoulders squared and head nodding confidently.
Sesshomaru followed her steady pace towards the hut and waited outside as she entered to greet her old friend and mentor. He rested casually his back against the wooden wall of the structure and eyed the village casually. Children were playing some sort of ball game down the main road as their parents bustled back and forth harvesting the crops and preparing the evening meal. It was an idyllic scene that stirred within him a deep longing for home. Turning towards the west he saw the tall mountain range that marked the borders of his territory and felt pride well up within his chest. His was a home that any self-respecting demon could be proud of and he was anxious to return.
Sesshomaru's reminiscent thoughts were darkened by a sudden familiar stench on the air. Pushing himself off the wall he eyed the tree line with a cold glare and waited, his body poised and ready so strike like a wild cat stalking its prey. As if on cue, Inuyasha stepped out into the field carrying a sack of chopped logs on his back. It took him only a moment to notice Sesshomaru waiting for him and he immediately stopped dead in his tracks, his mouth hanging open.
He'd known for a while now this day would come eventually but he didn't feel ready to die just yet. He didn't think he had too much choice in the matter though, seeing as how his brother looked ready to tear him limb from limb. He swallowed hard and tried to ignore the tickle of sweat trailing down the back of his neck. His eyes hastily scanned the vicinity for any signs of Kagome's dark head but she was nowhere to be found. He was definitely screwed. Not too long ago he would've scoffed at his brother's anger, drawn his Tetsusaiga and kicked his ass but those days were long behind him. Realizing there was nothing left to be done Inuyasha began a slow but steady walk to his death.
As he watched his now human half-brother emerge from the woods, Sesshomaru felt the anger and hatred he'd kept bottled just beneath the surface finally explode. Bringing his hand forward he extended his claws purposefully, the sun glinting off their razor sharp edges. He grew impatient at Inuyasha's slow death march so with a growl he charged at him, covering the vast distance between them in seconds.
When he reached him his body reacted instantly, moving entirely on its own accord in an effort to release the emotions it'd suffered under over the past year. Pain, anger, hurt, loss, betrayal, fear, sorrow, neediness, weakness, love…all of it came roaring out of him in a colossal explosion of energy. With the crimson fires of his aura burning around him and his eyes the colour of blood he wound up and punched Inuyasha hard in the jaw.
With a malicious sneer he watched his frail human body flail backwards under the force of the blow and careen hard into the dirt. The logs he'd been carrying scattered in a loud tumble, landing in sparsely populated heaps on either side of him. After a moment he weakly raised his head, looking the epitome of fragile and weak in his human form, but the sight did nothing to instil mercy in Sesshomaru's heart. In fact, the longer he stared at his half-brother the less magnanimous he felt. A dangerous snarl slipped past his lips, the only warning he gave Inuyasha before he throttled his neck between his claws.
The sound of the boy's choking gasps brought a frighteningly genuine smile to his lips. He was truly enjoying this, slowly squeezing the life out of the being he'd never wanted to call a brother. His entire life he'd been a bother, a nuisance that caused far more trouble than he was worth. He could practically taste his blood already and his claws itched for it as they pricked at the delicate flesh of his neck. Despite the raw hatred embodied in his actions, he couldn't bring himself to finish it. It had nothing to do with weakness or compassion; against his better judgement he'd made a promise to Kagome and he was a demon of his word.
Closing his eyes Sesshomaru took in a deep, cleansing breath and concentrated on restraining the voice in his head that taunted him with the knowledge that it could all be over if he just held on long enough. Already the human's struggles had begun to lessen and his face as a pleasant shade of plum. Opening his golden eyes slowly, he held Inuyasha's gaze and seriously considered telling Kagome it'd been an "accident".
Unfortunately he never got the chance to make that decision. His ears perked up at the sounds of indignant shouts coming from the vicinity of the old miko's residence and he knew that play time was over, at least temporarily. As she neared, her legs pumping hard to carry her across the field, Kagome's shouts became loud enough for even Inuyasha's ears to make them out.
"Sesshomaru! Inuyasha! Stop right now!" she scolded, panting hard as she ran.
They pair turned simultaneously to look at her. Sesshomaru's expression was impassive, if a little impatient, but Inuyasha immediately shrank back. As thankful as he was that she was alive and well, he didn't think he could stomach the inevitable meeting coming his way. Given what he'd done to her, he was pretty sure it would be easier to die at the end of Sesshomaru's claws than face her.
Sesshomaru could smell the panic and fear coming off of Inuyasha's body in waves. Apparently confronting Kagome was a far fitter punishment than anything he could have done. Opening his claws he dropped Inuyasha into a coughing, gasping, red faced heap on the ground and took a minute step backwards, his disgust apparent on his features.
"You should be thankful to her for saving you yet again little brother. You always were weak." Inuyasha glared at the comment and made to reply but Kagome cut him off when she thrust herself between them. With her arms outstretched she turned to Sesshomaru, an angry frown marring her features. Realizing that he wasn't going to attack again, she dropped her hands to her hips and fixed him with an unimpressed glare.
"Was that really necessary?" she demanded, sounding like a mother scolding a disobedient child.
"Completely," he responded evenly and shot Inuyasha a look that said 'I'll be watching' before he took his leave.
Knowing that Sesshomaru wouldn't be far didn't help ease the knots churning her stomach. The moment she turned around she would be faced with the reality of her situation. Behind her sat the man she'd once loved, the boy she'd once thought of as her best friend, and the beast that'd raped her so violently. Until this moment she'd been confident in her ability to cope, so sure that she would be okay, but coming face to face with him wasn't anything she could've prepared for. For weeks her mind had raced with all kinds of noble ideas about how she'd tell him off or "sit" him into a six foot deep grave, yet here, now, when it really counted she couldn't even turn around and look him in the eye.
Come on Kagome! You can do this! Just take a deep breath, turn around and talk to him. She tried to talk herself away from the paralyzing anxiety that held her feet rooted to the ground but her heart didn't want to listen. It rammed against her rib cage with each breath she took in a valiant effort to escape. At the sound of wood scraping against the ground behind her she turned and glanced warily over her shoulder. She watched as Inuyasha slowly starting to pick himself up off the ground and recollect the fallen logs.
For a moment she was certain she would be sick. Her stomach churned as she swallowed thickly and noted how uncomfortably dry her mouth had suddenly become. She opened it to say something and then realized she had no idea what to say. What do you say to someone who raped you, someone whose child you carried for five months? "Hi, how've you been?" Just didn't seem to cut it.
Inuyasha wasn't doing any better than Kagome. He kept his head ducked, his eyes averted and focused only on picking up the scattered logs around him. The second she'd turned to face him he'd caught sight of the panic in her eyes, and even though he was no longer a demon he was sure the smell fear practically permeated her body. Not knowing what else to do he muttered, "I should probably leave."
Kagome watched him in silence for a moment longer, trying to find the strength to ask him to stay. In that moment, all of her memories from the night of the rape came back to her in full force. Maybe it was the trees, maybe it was the fact that they were alone, she wasn't sure, but they assaulted her one after another. Closing her eyes she rubbed her temples in slow circles to help block them out. When she opened them once more she saw Inuyasha put the last of the logs in his satchel and turn to walk away from her. "I'm glad you're okay now," he muttered gruffly over his shoulder, the words nearly lost on the wind as he began his retreat.
Some part of Kagome reacted instantly, perhaps the part of her that remembered that there had been good times and years of looking after one another, and it forced her once silent voice to call out to him and her shaking hands to grab for his. He stopped dead in his tracks his face reflecting his amazement that she'd spoken to him at all and that her fingers were entwined with his own. Swallowing hard he turned to look at her, his eyes wide. She squeezed his hand reassuringly and offered him a nervous smile.
"Come on," she said softly. "We both know we need to talk. I'm not letting you get away that easily."
Inuyasha nodded dumbly, not knowing what else to do, and allowed himself to be led towards Goshinboku. During their short trek he couldn't tear his eyes from the spot in front of him where Kagome's warm small hand was clasped around his. His eyes were still wide with awe at the fact that she wasn't completely disgusted by his presence. After what he'd done to her he didn't know how she could even look at him without wanting to be sick. He felt sick just thinking about it.
When the pair were finally settled on what used to be their favourite branch, their feet swinging playfully under them, they sat in tense silence. Neither knew where or how to begin. Finally with an audible gulp Inuyasha spoke up, his voice unsteady and uncharacteristically quiet. "I'm sorry…for everything. I know it doesn't sound like much but I don't know how else to say it."
He paused awkwardly and swallowed again, his Adam's apple bobbing nervously. Kagome watched his fingers fidget against the red fur of his pants as he struggled to find the right words to say. Finally he settled on the truth. "Dammit Kagome…you know I'm not good with words and stuff…I just mean it okay?"
As angry and upset as she was, Kagome couldn't stop the gentle smile from tugging at the corner of her mouth. This moment was just like the many others they'd shared in this tree. And despite the pain of knowing why they were there, she was reminded of the fun they'd had there too. This tree…it connected them somehow, on a level she was sure she'd never truly understand. Bracing her palm against the tree she felt the rough bark scrape against her skin and tried to decide what to say. Was it enough for him to just say sorry? She didn't think so…but then what did she want him to say? Nothing he could ever say would undo what he'd done to her and nothing he did would ever make things go back to what they were. She wasn't sure what she needed…just that it was something more.
"I talked to Kaede about what happened…uh…I mean, what I did," Inuyasha began, surprising her out of her reverie. His voice was more confident this time even though he still avoided her gaze. "She said that I loved you too much and I think the old hag might bright. I thought I was gonna lose you again and I didn't think I could do it. I just wanted to make you forget about him….so we could go back to how it used to be, ya know?
Kagome…about that night…I…shit…you know I still have nightmares…I can't-"
"I still have nightmares too," Kagome cut in. Her tone wasn't resentful but it didn't sound forgiving either and it made him shrink back. She looked at him patiently, her chocolate eyes shining in the sunlight. She was encouraging him to go on, knowing that he needed to get it off his chest. As painful as it was for both of them it had to be done before either of them could move on.
"I don't know what came over me...One minute I thought you were leaving me again and the next I was…I think I thought if I-if I did th-that then he wouldn't want you anymore and you'd stay. Pretty stupid huh?"
Dropping his eyes from the green, leafy canopy of the Goshinboku, Inuyasha stared hard at the ground. He let out a heavy sigh and leaned his shoulder against the trunk for support. When he spoke next it was more to himself than anything else, as he remembered aloud the personal trials he'd gone through the past several weeks. "I couldn't get through the well. I tried so many times but…and you could've died over there and I never…"
Inuyasha grew silent after that. He tucked his knees up to his chest and rested his chin on them thoughtfully as he waited for Kagome's response. She was quiet for a few moments as she processed everything he'd told her. In a way it all made sense. As convoluted as it sounded she actually understood why he'd done it. He'd panicked and reacted the only way he thought he could.
Even though she would be haunted by that night for years to come, she was relieved to finally have some kind of explanation. While it didn't take away the pain, it gave her peace of mind to know that her best friend wasn't the vile monster she saw in her nightmares. He was human and he'd made a mistake…sure it was a big one, hell it was the size of Fuji, but what kind of friend would she be if she didn't forgive him?
Staring hard at the ground Kagome kicked her feet beneath her to a steady rhythm. After a drawn out silence punctuated only by the bird calls from nearby trees she spoke up, asking in a soft voice, "Do you want me to forgive you?" She felt him nod his head and saw him turn away so that she wouldn't see his tears.
He needed her to forgive him but he didn't dare speak the words aloud. He felt he didn't have the right to ask something so selfless of her. He was scum, dirtier than the lowliest demon…he was pretty sure even Naraku had a few points on him. He wanted her to forgive him so badly because he knew he would never forgive himself. He wasn't sure he could live on with the knowledge that he'd lost the first true friend he'd ever had.
Taking pity on him, Kagome wrapped her arms around his waist and pulled him into a tight hug. "You're such a baka Inuyasha." She could feel his body shaking with silent sobs and wiped the tears she felt slipping down her own cheeks onto his red haori.
They stayed like that for a long while, Kagome's arms around his waist, her head against his shoulders and their tears mingling in the crimson valleys of his fire rat haori. When the tears subsided Inuyasha raised his head and wiped away the wet streams lingering on his cheeks with his sleeve. His eyes were still red from crying but he tried to push a smile through and used his thumbs to catch the remaining salty drops that leaked from Kagome's eyes. With a sigh she rested her head against his shoulder and he tilted his own to rest against hers. The air around them felt lighter now, devoid of the tension that'd practically choked them before.
"I still love you, you know. I'm going to love you until the day I die," Inuyasha blurted out before tentatively laying his hand over hers. After a moment of thought he gave it a light squeeze. Kagome looked up at him and smiled warmly.
"Same here. You'll always have me as a friend no matter what happens down the road. Don't forget that." He returned her smile and they gazed into each others' eyes for a second before looking away.
Glimpsing the sunlight through the trees Kagome noticed the gentle tingle running along her spine that signalled Sesshomaru wasn't far off. The longer she was away the more agitated he became and she just didn't have the energy to deal with another emotional inu at the moment. Playfully nudging her shoulder against Inuyasha's she suggested they head back. Still feeling the stinging welt of the first punch to his face and not keen on receiving any more, he agreed without argument and helped Kagome down from the tree branch. He held out his arm gallantly once they were settled onto the solid earth and she took it with a light-hearted laugh.
"I'm really happy you're okay," he said as they walked back towards the village. His words were directed towards her, but he kept his eyes glued to the skies. "For a while there we thought you were a goner. I don't think I've ever seen him so terrified."
"You mean Sesshomaru?" Kagome blurted out aghast. Inuyasha nodded slowly, his expression serious. Kagome blushed softly and dipped her head to hide the smile tugging at her lips. Even though she knew Sesshomaru loved her, it still gave her butterflies to hear that she was the only one who could evoke an emotional response from the stoic lord of the West.
Inuyasha almost choked on his next words but forced them out anyways knowing they had to be said too. "He's going to take good care of you. If I was going to lose you to anyone I'm sorta glad it was him. I know that sounds crazy but you'll be safe with him…well safer than you would be with that mangy wolf anyway." His face instantly darkened into a scowl and his eyes scanned the tree line out of habit for any traces of the wolf prince of his kin.
"You don't need to worry about me," Kagome reassured him as she gave his arm a squeeze to draw his attention back. She'd thought long and hard about what to say next. Should she talk to him about the baby? He hadn't mentioned anything about it but she thought perhaps he felt uncomfortable talking about it and rightfully so. Her pregnant belly had been an obvious, daily reminder of what he'd done to her that night. A cold shiver ran down her spine as she touched her hand gingerly to her stomach. Even still…he had a right to know right? It was his baby too…
"You know, I'm actually kind of sad I won't get to see our baby grow up."
Inuyasha looked up at her, his eyes wide and filled with surprise. "Really?"
"Yeah of course! Some day you're going to make a great dad Inuyasha and I'll be a good Mom, but now just wasn't the right time…for either of us."
Inuyasha's eyes darkened as he mulled over her words. He knew she was right, but it didn't make the pain any less bearable. He'd worried for so long that she would grow to hate their child but now he realized how strong she was. Despite the circumstances and where it'd come from, she'd still loved their baby with all her heart. He admired her so much for that and he was momentarily stunned into silence by her selflessness.
The pair walked quietly for a few moments longer until they broke through the trees and stepped out into the field. Sesshomaru was waiting for them about ten paces away looking none to pleased that Inuyasha was touching his mate. Seeing the tension in his body Kagome quickly let go of his arm.
"Take care of yourself Inuyasha. I'll be back to visit soon. And regardless of what he might say," she said tilting her head towards Sesshomaru, "you're welcome in our home any time you like."
Inuyasha nodded, his dark hair whipping around his face in the wind. Ignoring another murderous glare from Sesshomaru he pulled her into a fierce hug. "Thanks Kagome. Thanks for everything," he whispered sincerely into her ear. He was surprised to feel her returned his hug before slowly pulling away.
"Jeez! You make it seem like I'm never coming back! Oh wait! I almost forgot!" she exclaimed, reaching excitedly into her shirt pocket. Pulling out the subjugation beads placed them around his neck with a grin. "Just in case you get lonely…," she explained with a shrug.
Inuyasha's blunt human fingers tentatively fondled the smooth surface of the heavy beads. He was surprised how comforting it felt to have their familiar weight hanging around his neck once more. "Kagome…" He looked up at her and she could see the fear behind his eyes.
"Don't worry. You've been a part of our family for years now so feel free to visit them anytime you want. I know Sota would love to have someone to play video games with again," she suggested, poking him playfully in the ribs with her elbow.
Inuyasha practically beamed at the realization that he had a family once more but his smile faded the instant he caught Sesshomaru's glare. Apparently their fond goodbye was taking too much time for his liking. "What about him?" he asked sharply, returning Sesshomaru's glare in earnest. "Doesn't he need these to go back to your time?"
Kagome followed his gaze and shrugged easily. "He's the one who suggested I give them to you. I can try making a necklace for him later on once I've regained my powers in full again. Kaede already said she'd help me."
Inuyasha contemplated the dog demon thoughtfully for a moment before taking Kagome's hand in his. "Come with me. I need to give you something before you leave," he explained as he pulled her towards the hut. With a helpless shrug aimed at Sesshomaru, she followed Inuyasha without argument and waited dutifully outside while disappeared inside. A moment later he returned carrying Tetsusaiga in both hands.
"Here," he said with finality and thrust it towards her. "It's no good to me now. I want you to give it to him. He can use it to protect you like I did. Who knows, maybe the barrier will let him in now that he actually cares about someone else besides himself."
Kagome stared at the sword in awe and accepted it reverently from his hands. This sword had saved her life countless times and his…was he really going to give it up so easily? He's spent practically every waking moment protecting it from Sesshomaru! "Are you sure about this?" she mouthed silently so Sesshomaru wouldn't hear. Inuyasha nodded and crossed his arms in front of his chest.
"Yeah I'm sure. Just make sure you tell him that if he doesn't use it right I'll come kick his ass and take it back."
Kagome had to suppress her smile at the thought of a human Inuyasha taking on Sesshomaru alone and unarmed. Pulling her friend into one last quick hug, she gave him a peck on the cheek before jogging towards her mate. She turned and waved when she was half-way across the field and with a nod and a wave Inuyasha slipped back into the hut and out of sight.
Kagome arrived at Sesshomaru's side, barely panting from her run. He looked at the sword in her hands curiously but didn't attempt to take it from her. He remembered all to well the pain that would come if he tried to touch it. Tetsusaiga had always rejected him and he felt bitter towards his father for placing such a horrible barrier on it. He'd never understood why half-demon filth should be privy to anything he wasn't. After regaining her breath Kagome held the sword out to him.
"Here," she said cheerfully. "Inuyasha wanted you to have this. He said to use it to protect me since he can't. I don't know if the barrier will let you in now, but it might. You never know until you try right?" she offered.
Sesshomaru eyed the sword and contemplated what to do next. He had no wish to have his palm singed beyond recognition, but the curiosity was starting to overpower his common sense. His hand outstretched, he let it hover above the sword while he silently asked it to let him in. In response the fang pulsed in Kagome's hands and she stared down at it surprised. Concentrating hard, Sesshomaru slowly lowered his hand and gripped the hilt of Tetsusaiga. When no wave of energy emerged to throw him back or singe his flesh, he withdrew the sword from its sheath and watched as it expanded into the fang he'd desired for so long.
Rotating the sword left then right, his amber eyes simultaneously admired and examined the blade in detail since he'd never been able to before. Turning it towards himself he saw his own eyes reflected in the polished metal and for a second he thought he saw a bit of his father there as well. The Great Lord of the Western Lands had been powerful and honourable, a force to be reckoned with. He could only hope that he was, in some small way, finally following in his noble footsteps. He'd walked the path of supreme conquest only to find himself unfulfilled. Perhaps it was time for him to walk a path of a different kind? Re-sheathing the blade he took it from Kagome's hands and slipped it carefully into the sash at his waist.
"I hope he does not expect a thank you," he muttered as he eyed the tiny wooden hut in the distance. Realizing that that was as close to gratitude as he was going to get, Kagome wrapped her hands around his waist nestled her head against his chest.
"Let's go home!" she offered wistfully and relaxed against him with a pleasant sigh. At her words Sesshomaru effortlessly created the cloud at their feet that would carry them home. As they travelled along on the steady current of the wind, his eyes remained fixed on the ruby red sun lowering on the western horizon. In that moment, with the Tetsusaiga at his hip, his lands within view and his mate securely nestled in his embrace, he realized with a certain sense of satisfaction that his greatest adventure had only just begun.