InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Inu-Yuna: Two Souls ❯ Preface ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Inu-Yuna: Two Souls

Inu-Yasha Alterverse (with occasional Bleach crossover, assorted cameos)

Disclaimer: Many characters and concepts in this story are owned and copyrighted by their respective creators. Those aren't mine. I'm just barrowing them for this story. The original works, of course, are mine.




Preface

This is an idea that has been bugging me from the moment I finished watching the very first episode of the Inu-Yasha TV series. (FYI, I have all of them, and as of this writing have watched up to epi 146.)

Basically, take Kagome and Inu-Yasha, and switch their genders. Thus, in this fic it's Tsukiya and Inu-Yuna. That's it.

Hah, hardly. I'm only just coming down from a Bleach high, which followed a Full Metal Alchemist marathon, and before that it was Naruto. So be forwarned: there will be a few Bleach cameos, at least one (planned) Bleach crossover sidestory, and eventually, "seal" use similar to what is seen in Naruto. There's also likely to be some Ranma-esque Martial Arts Action, something that I've NEVER been able to get away from -- Ranma 1/2 was what started me on anime. And plenty of swordplay; Rurouni Kenshin fans, take heart. Hopefully, there'll be a little something for most everyone.

One last thing. Tsukiya is NOT just a male Kagome! My initial idea might have been that simple, but not any more. For one, modern Japan still retains two very different expectations for male and female children. In recalling that, I realized that a story of a literal male Kagome (ultimate average middle school guy) and female Inu-Yasha wouldn't work; 'Kagome-kun' would be clueless in all the wrong situations. And with 'Inu-Yasha-chan' being roughly the same emotionally stunted hanyou, either they'd clash irrecoverably, or simply 'miss' each other and drift apart.

So I began to change things about Kagome-kun. First was emotional makeup: for a 14-year-old schoolboy, Kagome-kun became almost effeminate in sensitivity, and highly perceptive. This made Kagome-kun a bigger target for school yard teasing, but instead of becoming an introvert, he became extremely polite in the face of aggression and very unassertive himself. The lack of assertiveness worried his samurai-decendant father and shrine-keeper grandpa, who enrolled Kagome-kun in the same dojo where the father had learned as a young man. Much to their dismay, Kagome-kun did not gain some manly assertiveness, but instead "fell in love" with the Art itself, and came to abhor violent use of it.

With the impressive butterfly effect from the first change alone, only one more seemed necessary. Kagome-kun's academic abilities increasingly rose, as he became very much a thinker. This, combined with his sensitivity, returned to him a circle of friends, those being a few boys and several girls who didn't find that sensitivity off-putting and valued his intelligence and insight.

From this, Tsukiya was born. And named with a little help from my LJ friend "Fiery-Lioness".

I have every expectation that he will evolve very differently than Kagome; the same goes for Inu-Yuna. And because of that, Two Souls will only account for half the TV series. The other half will likely be called Two Swords... How's that bit of foreshadowing?




Draft: 9/29/06