InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Jigsaw Heart ❯ Today is Just a Day ( Chapter 3 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Chapter 3:

Miroku/???

Sango/???

Kagome/ ???

A/N: For those of you who wish to know, Kagome and Sango are half sisters. Sango’s mom and Kagome’s mom are the same while their dad’s are not. Sango’s father up and left her mom before she was born, so Sango does not know who her real father is, though she has his last name. She has never felt the urge to find him however because Kagome’s dad came into her life at 1. Her and Kagome are three years apart. Kagome’s dad died in a car accident when the brakes malfunctioned on his car. The Higurashi family, their mom took her deceased husband’s name in marriage, received a hefty settlement in the lawsuit. Sango Umi and Kagome Higurashi have a younger brother named Souta. He is Kagome’s full brother and Sango’s half. Later in the story we find out that Sango has another brother.

Miroku’s Mother and Father were shot to death outside of a bank when he was 8. His grandfather took him in on the condition he were to take up the family trade, the trade his deceased dad didn’t. Miroku is a monk, or as close to one as he can be.

Well that’s that for those three…this story is based on InuYasha mostly….

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*

A young man sat at a desk covered in papers. He held his head in his hands as he peeked through his fingers at the mess below. He sighed and grabbed a particular stack. Rifling through it he pulled a few out and set it to the side. “Hey Kagome, you know where I put the file on that couple that got married yesterday? I found the rest of it.” Miroku said as he stood holding the stack he set aside.

“It’s in your drawer, under the dirty magazine.” Kagome said as she alphabetically filed all the files in his cabinet. “Jeesh Miroku, you would think a man of the cloth would keep a cleaner office.”

“If you are talking of the magazine, then it was graciously donated.” Miroku said as he pulled the file out and put the papers he found in it.

“I wasn’t referring to that but to all this mess. If I didn’t come here once a month to help out what would you do?” Kagome said as she sighed.

Miroku watched her from the corner of his eye, her long waist length black hair hanging free, a strand tucked behind her ear. Her stormy blue eyes scanned the files as she reorganized them. “Seriously, what makes you think the R’s go with the D’s?” She asked him.

“Well in defense, I did fail English, twice.” Miroku said as he handed her the file. She looked up at him, her eyebrows drew together as she tried to see if he was joking.

“That’s not something to be proud of.” She said as she shut the cabinet. “There all done.”

“I got the office downtown.” He told her suddenly.

“Really? That’s great. When do you move?” She asked, a sunny smile on her face.

“Well my replacement is going to be here tomorrow, so after that I guess. I have to train him.” Miroku said.

“Does your grandfather know you were charged with opening up a demon registry?” she asked him.

“Yes he does, and seems to think that it’s a good thing. I told him it’s not just to keep track of all the demons, we give them a social security card and birth certificate that pertains to them. We will also issue mate certificates so the government will know who is ‘married’ and who is not.” He looked over at her, “It gives them a life. So they don’t have to keep hidden. It lets them know they don’t have to hide. Plus it allows them to call the police if a miko or monk threaten them. Before they couldn’t because they had no proof of citizenship. This is only recent. If it wasn’t for Sesshomaru Takahashi then demons wouldn’t even have rights.” Miroku said as he tossed a few papers in the trash. “It would also allow a mixing of demon and human school. The rules would be more severe but it would give more chance of tolerance then hostility.”

“What about hanyou?” Kagome asked, she looked around at the office.

“Sesshomaru is fighting tooth and nail for that issue. His brother is hanyou.” Miroku said. “They have the rights, Social security, certificates, but they are neither accepted in one culture or the other.”

“That’s sad. How can you judge some one for what they are?” Kagome said.

“Well for one it’s kind of like racism, a severe racism. Think of all the hate crimes that happen to people of all color before the demon race came into the open.” Miroku said as he tossed the trash into a pile in the corner of the office.

“It’s still not right. So what if they are of mixed blood?” Kagome said.

“Hanyou’s weren’t accepted into human or demon schools, they had to be home schooled. It was hard on mother’s who were raped by demons, or demoness who were raped by men.” Miroku sighed, “I hope that this new law will allow all hanyou’s into school so we have far fewer uneducated children.”

“Is that why the country’s rate of education is so low?” Kagome asked him.

“That’s what your sister says,” Miroku said as his eyes clouded over as he daydreamed of what he wanted to do to her.

“She is an exterminator, or did you forget all about that?” Kagome said as she grinned.

“Fuck no, I still have the lumps to prove it.” Miroku said as he snapped to attention. “Wanna see our new office?”

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ~*~*~*~*~*~*

“Miss Umi?” a man asked as she turned to face him, the dead bodies of the lesser rat demons hanging over her shoulder.

“Yes?” she asked as she adjusted the weight.

The man gulped as he handed an envelop to her, “That’s the fee.”

“Thank you. I trust the complete amount is in there?” she asked as her free hand took the envelope.

“Yes it is, 267 dollars.” he said as he backed away from the slayer.

“Pleasure doing business with you.” Sango said as she tossed the bodies in the back of the truck. She pulled her rubber gloves off and disposed of them. With a sigh she hefted the giant boomerang off the ground where it laid unused and set it in the holder on the truck. The demons were so easy to kill all it took was her sword. She picked it up. It dripped with blood and gore.

She wiped the slime off the blade and sheathed it and got into the truck. Once the door was closed she opened the envelope and counted the money, sure enough it was the exact price. She pulled a notebook out and wrote down how many demons and what breed she killed. She sighed, she hated the paperwork.

She closed the notebook and started her truck, heading back to the office she watched a group of protesters rallied in front of her company. She shut the vehicle off and grabbing her boomerang she pushed her way through the crowd. At the front of her building her sister stood, fearful of the crowd. Next to stood the monk, perverted ass, and he looked over at the mob with a hit of worry etched into his handsome face. Yes, he was cute, but he had a rotten habit. His dark purple eyes lit up when he spotted her in her slayer uniform as she walked to the granite steps that lead to the building Miroku had acquired for all of their headquarters.

“What’s this all about?” Sango asked off handedly as if it was an insignificant matter.

“They just found out about that new law.” Kagome said as she smiled. “Why didn’t you two tell me that I was to be the legal part in all this?

“We didn’t know for sure if your boss would allow it.” Miroku said honestly. “We had called her asking for you because of your miko abilities and our obvious closeness.”

“Pervert you better be thinking straight.” Sango growled.

“Of course my dear! I never meant anything off color about it.” Miroku said in a hurry as he backed a way from her a few steps.

“Good.” she said with the underlying tone that if he was lying she would castrate him with a cheese grater, an industrial cheese grater.

“Miss Kaze let me?” Kagome asked as she shook her head.

“Yeah, you still work for her company, just in this office. You will be taking over all the demon and hanyou cases from her office. She said it will free up her other lawyers to tke over the defense of the many humans that will be persecuted in the next few weeks when we officially open.” Miroku said.

“Well when is it?” Sango asked, she herself did not know.

“The ribbon cutting will be on Saturday. Mr. Takahashi has kindly decided to throw a banquet in our honor and to spread a bit of PR.” Miroku said. “All three of us have to be there. Kagome are you going to bring a date?”

“I don’t know, do we have to?” She asked.

“Yes. It is requested to do so, or you will paired up with another who didn’t.” Miroku said. “Well Sango My dear, will you do me the honor of attending with me?”

“No.” She stated simply as three police squad cars pulled up, their light flashing red and blue. The mob disbanded and it was quiet once again.

“Why not?” He asked her.

“I am bringing my half brother.” She said. Their brother was her apprentice.

“All right.” he said sadly.

“Don’t tell me you can’t find a date?” Kagome joked.

“Not the one I want.” he pouted.