InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Little Bits ❯ Someday ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Someday


The exhausted, orphaned hanyo wedged himself into a crevice in the ancient tree, and fell asleep.

He awoke as a howl shattered the night, and felt utter terror, as he realized he could not see.

Or smell.

His fangs were gone. His claws were gone.

And his mother, who had always cuddled him and reassured him and sang to him on those nights when he transformed; who had always let him fall asleep with his head in her lap--was gone.

Forever.

He bit down on his hand to stop any cries, knowing instinctively that silence and stillness were his only protections. His terror--and his silent pleas to the kami--did not lessen until the change at dawn. But he knew that he would never again ever dare fall asleep when he was human. He would never again be unafraid, when human. Because there was no one to protect him. No one to care for him.

Never again.

Until he woke up in the predawn with his head on Kagome's lap.

It didn't count, he told himself later. She'd only felt sorry for him, because of the poison. (Never mind the tears.)

Still.

He couldn't help wondering, if someday, he'd have the courage to ask to sleep away his human night with his head in her lap again.

Or, better yet.

To fall asleep in her arms.