InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Little Bits ❯ At the Grave ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

At the Grave
 
He landed in the massive tree that, the first time he had seen it, had been too slender to bear his weight. Jumping down to the grass, he circled the standing stone, checking for any sign of disturbance. Satisfied that all was quiet, he knelt before the stone and gently traced the carvings on it with a claw. He knew what the symbols meant—the only ones he still did. Izayoi.
 
With a sigh, he moved to sit beside the stone, one arm wrapped around it, his cheek pressed against the rough surface of the object that was linked in his mind to his memories of his childhood, to a time when he had been safe and loved.
 
He watched the moon rising, its image mirrored in the small lake at the bottom of the hill. His ears flicked idly, taking in the background chorus of chirping insect and calling night bird. Relaxing as much as ever he could in the open, Inuyasha closed his eyes.
 
“Mama?” he whispered, addressing the long-dead woman whose ashes lay beneath the stone. “Do you remember, after you died, your aunt telling me, that someday there'd be someone who liked me, as me? I—I think I might have found her. Her name's Kikyo…”