InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Little Bits ❯ Heat ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Heat
 
His rage was fire. His blood was fire. His wounds were fire. He wanted to seek coolness, but his body would not move. He was trapped in the forest, trapped between rage and disbelief: he was more heated than he had never experienced.
 
His memories were fire, of the Wind Scar—how had that repulsive hanyo mastered Tessaiga? How?—slamming into him, cutting him, burning him, throwing him back. Why the attack hadn't killed him, he didn't understand, but it had left him here, helpless. Left him to fight for breath in the sweaty, blood- and burnt-hair- stinking heat, unable to find relief.
 
Leaves rustled, and a scent distracted his thoughts. Human. He felt alarm—impossible!— as it came closer, and he tried—and failed—to move. As the scent became stronger, he tried again, managing this time to move his head. He glared, hissing, only to discover, that peering around a tree, was—
 
A child...?
 
His head fell back as she audibly gulped. But she wasn't scared enough to flee, he discovered, as she dumped water on his head.
 
He gasped, in shock at the temerity. But the next moment, he discovered the coolness he had been wanting. Water slid down his face, cooling his heated skin. Water trickled through his hair, tiny streams of teasing cold. His body, confronted by no enemy, relaxed, and the heated rage disappeared into the cool curiosity of a new thought.
 
This brat ... is trying to save me.
 
I wonder... why?