InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Little Bits ❯ Chance ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chance
 
He drifted through the countryside, flirting with all the pretty women, and bedding a few. He used his skills and power to solve real problems, and pretended to solve imaginary ones, using his glib tongue and handsome features to deflect suspicion. He smiled and joked, teased and laughed his way through the villages, leaving behind an impression of a monk of good nature, mildly dissolute, who had few cares to block his path to Nirvana.
 
He did not show the despair he battled, whenever he paused to meditate. For he knew he was drifting, for he could see no path to achieve his real goal.
 
Naraku.
 
How could he find a foe he had never met? How could he recognize a foe that could assume any form? How could he lure out a foe who might not even know he existed?
 
Then, his chance came, in an exploding wave of magical power, in a streak of light he saw in the morning sky. He followed the trail of that streak, killed the small, ravening monster that attacked, examined the tiny nestling it turned into, and eventually, held a shard of crystal in the palm of his hand.
 
Something whispered in his mind. He could have power--over temples, over women, over men, youkai, whatever he wanted--
 
No! Repulsing the temptation, Miroku knew he held.
 
A shard of the Shikon No Tama.
 
A fragment of Naraku's deepest desire.
 
Raising his head, a new, harder glint could be seen in his eyes.
 
He would drift no longer.