InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Little Bits ❯ Heart Home ( Chapter 13 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Heart Home



Silver limned by the sun's golden glow took over part of the blue square towards which she was climbing. Moments later, a clawed hand, pale against the shadows, reached down. Hands touched for the first time in three years, and a hanyo's strength drew her easily to the top of the well. She balanced a moment, meeting his golden eyes, one hand resting lightly on his red-clad shoulder. Silver glinted at the edge of her own eyes as her heart filled with joy.



"Inuyasha, I'm sorry," she murmured. "Were you waiting..."



"Kagome..." His voice trembled as he stared at her for a moment longer, before sweeping her into an embrace that was as inexorable as it was gentle. "Baka," he murmured, as she hugged him close, "what have you been up to?"


She let herself linger in his embrace, cherishing the warmth of the fire-rat robe, his strong arms, the sound of his heartbeat. Then, she reached up to thread her fingers through his hair, looking back up to meet his eyes: the silver and gold for which she had chosen to exchange the materially rich life she could have had. Her thumb caressed his cheek. "Going to school," she answered quietly. "Being with Mama, with my family. Growing up. Thinking of you."

His eyes looked down at her, slightly widened, not quite begging an unasked question. Touching her hanyo's--her hanyo's--face again, she answered, smiling serenely. "And when the well re-opened, I came home."