InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Little Bits ❯ Little Boy Lost ( Chapter 19 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: This fanfiction is based on “Inuyasha”, copyrighted by Rumiko Takahashi. No infringement of copyright intended or implied.
 
 
Little Boy Lost
 
The kitsune ran, ran, ran through the cold, cold night. His body burned as terror drove his tiny limbs, blindly fleeing to keep from surrendering that last thing he had to lose. He fled for his life, everything else lost.
 
Safety.
 
Home.
 
Love.
 
Father.
 
Deep into the trackless night, exhaustion and a hill stopped him at last, as he tumbled down the unexpected slope until a thick shrub got in his way. He curled up, unable to do more than pant, his throat too raw to whimper, waiting for the blow that would end everything. Even when his panting slowed, his terror did not fade, for the night was alive with squeaks and groans, howls and cries; voices he had never heard within the den, or feared when carried safely on his father's shoulders. He shivered fighting against whimpering, clutching himself to keep from moving, instincts shouting that silence and stillness were his only protections.
 
Sleep finally won over terror, to lose to the growing light. Rubbing his eyes, he sat up slowly. “Papa?”
 
He remembered, then, that terrible moment, of seeing his father's body sprawled lifelessly, bloody and broken, the thunder brother towering over his foe, crowing his victory.
“Papa!” he screamed, collapsing back into his ball, sobbing. A voice in his head might have whispered that he ought to be strong. Ought to be angry. Ought to be planning vengeance.
 
But he was only a little boy lost. And all he could do was cry.
 
Author's Note: This drabble was written for the Issikewa community (on LiveJournal), challenge #64: Lose. The piece was originally published on November 12, 2008. It placed 3rd.