InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Little Bits ❯ Soul Fire ( Chapter 22 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: This fanfiction is based on “Inuyasha”, copyrighted by Rumiko Takahashi. No infringement of copyright intended or implied.
 
 
Soul Fire

He realized too late how foolish he had been to pick up the Shikon no Kakera; how foolish to simply wish for his fire to burn hotter and longer, when his murderer was impervious to flame.

He screamed to Inari, protector of foxes, in despair. His kit! His little boy, so clever, so brave and impetuous: he knew that his kit would seek revenge! And he would die!

No! Inari, give me a chance! Just one! I must protect my son!

Somehow, he stayed, clinging with all the strength of his soul to his fur. It burned, to sense Maten's touch, Maten's laugh, Maten's gloating. The tiny, icy hands of the underworld denizens plucked at him, but he refused to give in.

His kit was suddenly there, so close, his youki flaring with pain and determination. He clung, resisting temptation; somehow knowing he could not help. His fire could not burn his son's foe.

Maten died. Another--far stronger--protected his kit. Relief threatened to loosen his hold. But Hiten still lived, his son's safety still in doubt. He remained steadfast, even when he sensed his son's touch on his nose.

Fire blasted his fur and his kit, knocking the boy out, burning, searing; threatening destruction. No! He released his grip on physicality, calling on all of his soul-strength. Foxfire sprang up; fire opposing fire, not burning, but deflecting. He held. And held...

Until only one fire remained.

His soul rose. Content.

His kit was safe.

**************
Author's Note: This drabble was written for the Inuyasha Fanfic Contest community (iyfic_contest) on LiveJournal, for week 168, 'Burn' theme. It placed second. Originally published Dec. 16, 2008. It has been edited slightly for grammar before this posting.