InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Little Bits ❯ Taiyoukai's Bane ( Chapter 30 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: This piece is based on 'Inuyasha', owned by Rumiko Takahashi. No copyright infringement intended or implied.

Taiyoukai's Bane

He feared no one. Few youkai could hope to stand up to him, and no human. He roamed the Western Lands, in dog or human form, doing as he willed, going where he willed.

Until the day that he hungered, and swooped down to snatch the biggest beast in the field. As he rose back into the air, with the mortally-wounded, bellowing bull in his jaws, his hearing picked up another voice, young and human, fierce and angry.

"You bring him back! Right now!"

Mild surprise caused him to glance down, to see a mere slip of a human girl. Behind her, in the shadow of the trees, came the clear scent of terrified humans. But, there was no fear in her.

Curiosity brought him back down, releasing the dying bull, transforming to his other form. She glared at him, shouted at him, denounced him as a thief. Not even when he plucked the naginata from her hands did she falter, her dark eyes flashing fire that would not be quelled.

He made the mistake of listening. He made the mistake of feeling compassion. He made the mistake of agreeing to bring compensation for the family's prized bull. He made the mistake of keeping his word, bringing gold to her father, and a fine, silk kimono for her. He was caught by the snare of his own curiosity, his own fascination, not realizing until far too late that a mere mortal would become his bane.

By then, he didn't care.


Author's Note: This was written for the Issekiwa community on LiveJournal, for challenge #79: Snare. It won first place.