InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Little Bits ❯ Vigil ( Chapter 32 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: This piece is based on 'Inuyasha', owned by Rumiko Takahashi. No copyright infringement intended or implied.

Vigil

Despite her less than comfortable position against the wall, Kagome had nearly nodded off herself when Inuyasha coughed, and then strangled a cry of pain. "Inuyasha?" she whispered, leaning forward, running her fingers through his bangs to touch his forehead.

"Ka-go-me," he wheezed.

"I should make you some more medicine," she said. "You're feverish." She shifted her position, intending to move his head off her lap so that she could stand up.

"Don't!"

She hesitated. "Don't--wanna sleep," he muttered.

Kagome couldn't help the soft chuckle. "You never do." She ruffled his bangs with her fingers.

"Keh."

Sighing, Kagome considered her options, glancing at the candle lamp Miroku had left set up on the other side of the room. Over half the night left, she thought. But, while his forehead was warm and damp, he was not seriously fevered, and she didn't want to move him or argue more than necessary.

"Okay--for now," she decided. Looking around, she spotted the shallow tub she had used and refilled earlier. Easing it closer, she wrung out one of the cloths floating in the water, before folding it and laying it across his forehead. "But if you keep coughing," she continued, "I'm sitting you up. That lower arrow may have hit your lung." Taking a second cloth, she began to wipe the rest of his face.

"Keh," he whispered, his breathing clearly hitching to her ears. "I'll be fine--"

"--In the morning," she chorused with him. "Baka." The last word was spoken gently.

Worming his hand out from under the blanket, he reached for hers. Letting go of the cloth, she let him twine their fingers. "So glad--you're here."

She leaned over him, letting her free hand rest on his head. "So am I."

They stayed that way a little while, until Kagome leaned back to ease her complaining back muscles. "So, what was it like?" she asked, scratching his scalp gently.

"Huh?"

"The first moonless night, after the well sealed."

His fingers briefly tightened on hers. "I was going ... to go sneak out -- to the forest -- and hide, like I -- like I used to do. Before I was--sealed. I was ... afraid."

"Afraid?"

He was silent awhile. "I was feeling ... so ... so empty ... that day. Miroku was teasing Sango; they were laughing. Shippo and Rin ... were playing. Giggling. Kaede was gone ... a birthing ... and Kohaku ... just kept ... looking... at me. Didn't want ... more people to know--my night ... Without you, I felt--so alone, again..."

He trailed off. "So what happened?" she prompted.

Human Inuyasha tried to sigh, and grunted in pain instead. "Damned monk," he muttered, eventually. "I was--behind the hut," he said, his speech choppy as he kept his breathing shallow. "Thinking of running--to the woods. Miroku walks up, behind me. Whispers that he--knows what I'm thinking. If I--try to run, he's--slapping me with an ofuda, dragging me back inside, and telling--anyone who sees that I'm--pining for you--so bad--I fell sick--and fainted..."

Kagome couldn't help the giggle. "So what did you do?"

"What d'ya think? I ain't stupid."

She smiled down at him, tightening her grasp on his fingers. "Miroku's been a good friend to you, hasn't he?"

"Yeah..." He yawned, and then winced again.

"Are you sure you don't want me to make more medicine?"

"I'll ... be fine..." he mumbled vaguely. "'m ... so lucky..."

"Lucky? To have two holes in your back?"

"Lucky ... hanyo ... go' frien's ... go' ... you ..."

His fingers against hers relaxed. After a few moments, Kagome realized that her wounded human had fallen back asleep. Smiling as she interpreted his last, slurred words, she set his hand down, and then tucked the blanket more closely about his shoulders, as she prepared to resume her vigil.

Lucky? She supposed he was, compared to most of his kind.

But, he'd made his luck, and paid his price, to gain what he had.

And so had she.


Author's Note: This is a sequel to #24 in this series, "Someday: Tonight." This one-shot was written for the "At First Tweak" community on LiveJournal, for the theme 'Empty.' It was originally published on August 15, 2009. It placed third.