InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Little Bits ❯ Iron Claws ( Chapter 36 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: This piece is based on 'Inuyasha', owned by Rumiko Takahashi. No copyright infringement intended or implied.

Iron Claws

Blood dripped down his neck, matted his hair, and soaked the back of his firerat. But, as the young hanyo crouched on the boulder, staring at the rapidly decomposing bits of his foe, he knew that his claws were blood-free.

Yet the youkai was dead.

Puzzled, head drooping as he struggled to get enough air, Inuyasha recalled events. The youkai had surprised him. He had bolted, knowing that he could not defeat the heavily-built foe. But, the youkai had proven faster, razor claws raking his skull and back, sending Inuyasha into an uncontrolled tumble. Slamming down onto his back, he saw the youkai almost on top of him, fanged jaws agape. Desperate, afraid, angry, he lashed out, realizing even as he swung that he hadn't had time to coat his claws with his blood. Thoughts froze--he was going to die--

And golden arcs of light exploded through the youkai, tearing it apart.

Catching his breath, Inuyasha examined his claws, and then a nearby clump of bamboo. Concentrating, he lashed out. Golden claws of pure youki flew from his fingers, effortlessly slicing through the stand. Grinning, the boy jumped to the ruined stalks, noting with pleasure how the edges were as clean as if his human grandfather's arms master had tested a katana against them. Yes, he crowed to himself, dancing in place. Better than his blood blades! Better than the best katana! Iron claws! Youkai-killing claws!

He destroyed another patch of bamboo for the sheer joy.

Sankon-tessou!

Hanyo-hating youkai--watch out!


Author's Note: I wrote about Inuyasha discovering his "blood claws" last year. (Chapter 4 of this series.) I decided it was time to write a piece on his gaining his main attack. This was originally published Sept 9, 2009, for the Issekiwa community on LiveJournal, for the theme "Bolt."