InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Live and Let Die (Part 2): Awakenings ❯ Contemplations and Remembrances ( Chapter 8 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimers: I still do not own InuYasha or any of the manga/anime characters. They belong to the wonderful genius Rumiko Takahashi. However, any original characters do belong to me.
 
AN: Thanks to those of you who take the time to leave a review. The more I get, the faster I tend to write.
 
 
Live and Let Die: Awakenings
 
 
Chapter 8: Contemplations and Remembrances (Warning: Chapter contains Limon)
 
 
After Miroku's initial explanation, he and Sango had watched the last exchange in silence. Then they watched the backs of the others as they left to return to the inn.
 
Finally, now that they were alone, Sango turned back to Miroku and brushed the hair out of his face as she asked, “Houshi, are you certain that you are all right? Are you sure that priest did not harm you?”
 
“I am just a bit winded, my dear Sango. That crazy priest was really trying to hurt me. At first I was only trying to protect myself because I thought he was just mad with anger, but then I realized that I had better really fight him, because he was actually trying to kill me. I do not know that I have ever seen such hatred drive a man so,” the monk responded.
 
“Yes, you have,” Sango said softly.
 
“Whenever do you mean?” Miroku asked.
 
“When I thought that InuYasha had wiped out my village I was really trying to kill him,” the demon slayer replied.
 
Miroku rubbed his neck. “Well, you are right. But still, you had a reason at the time since you honestly thought that InuYasha had killed everyone in your village. What hate drove this priest like it did? What did we ever do to him other than save him from certain death?”
 
Sango shook her head. “I do not know, but you should have heard the horrible things he said to Kagome. I do not blame her for getting so mad.”
 
Sango did not know why, but the thought of Kagome cursing so made her giggle.
 
“What is funny, Sango?”
 
“Do you remember when Kagome told us after she was first mated to InuYasha that she had picked some traits from him that we would not want to see demonstrated? Back when she was telling us to get Shippou to behave without too much whining?”
 
Miroku nodded.
 
“Well, you should have seen and heard her tonight after that man tore her shirt. When the priest saw her mark he told the others to remove her clothes to expose her. Then he started accusing her of laying with InuYasha, Lord Sesshomaru, and even you. I have never seen Kagome so angry. She cursed him out in a manner that would have made InuYasha proud or blush - I am not certain which. And the power - the power that she was surrounded by was almost scary. She was so mad that she created a barrier to protect both of us and then made our bindings just melt away. The other men all ran when we were free and they realized that I had a blade concealed in my sleeve. If they had heard Kagome go after that priest, they would have sworn that she was part demon herself,” Sango responded.
 
Miroku sat up to a position that was a little more comfortable before he asked, “So she was able to make another barrier?”
 
“Yes, when she was directly threatened. It was not until the priest told the men to remove her clothes that it happened. Except this time, she knew what was going on around her. She may not know how she created the barrier, but it remained around us even as we stood and she told that priest what she thought of him. She did not drop it until InuYasha came crashing in,” Sango offered.
 
“Sango, they did not hurt you, did they? You seemed more angry than anything else,” Miroku asked with concern.
 
“No. That nut slapped a sutra on me and told me it would free me of the spell of the evil miko. When I told him she was not evil, and that I was not under a spell, he insisted that I was free to speak. When I got mad and called him a coward he had them gag me again. It was right after that when he had them try to yank Kagome to her feet and ended up ripping her shirt. All hell sort of broke loose after that, but I was not harmed. Well, except when they hit me in back of the head to knock me out to start with. My head does still hurt,” Sango replied.
 
Miroku sighed. “I am sorry that you went through that. Still, I am glad you were there with Kagome. It might have been worse for her if she had been taken alone.”
 
“Yeah, that is true. By the way, what took you so long to get here?” Sango asked, shifting her position to sit next to the monk.
 
“Apparently, they used sutra like what that priest used when they trapped InuYasha before. He could not pick up any scent to follow. I finally got him to calm down enough to determine the location of the priest. Except that right about the time I did, InuYasha picked up on Kagome's anger and led us straight to her. InuYasha could tell that she was really pissed about something,” Miroku responded.
 
“Well, I hate to say it, but that priest got what was coming to him. I am just glad that you were not injured, Houshi,” Sango said with a blush.
 
“I am glad that you are unharmed as well,” Miroku replied as he took Sango's hand between his own.
 
“Do you think that InuYasha and Kagome are settled into their room yet?” Sango asked.
 
“I am certain that they will have had time to before we get back. Are you tired of sitting out here with me, Sango?” Miroku questioned.
 
Sango blushed a little deeper. “No, but it has been a very long day, and I have to admit that I am exhausted. Plus you have to do the ceremony for their real priest in the morning. We both should probably go in and get some sleep.”
 
Miroku unwillingly climbed to his feet. “You are right, Sango. It has been a long day and we are both tired. I guess we should retire for the evening.”
 
Miroku offered a hand to Sango, and she accepted it as he helped her to her feet. After brushing off the dirt and grass from their clothing they started back towards the inn. Sango shyly reached over to take Miroku's hand as he walked beside her. The monk gave hers a gentle squeeze as they followed the road that led to their lodging.
 
 
InuYasha carried Kagome back to their room, going through the first room to enter the second and closing the door behind him. He smiled when he walked in far enough to notice that the two futons in their room had been moved together and the screens placed in front of them to remove the bedding from immediate view if the door was opened. The crafty old innkeeper certainly knew his stuff.
 
“Kagome, we're here,” InuYasha said softly as he carried his mate around the screens to the futon.
 
She mumbled something incoherent in response, so InuYasha laid her down and gently removed his haori and her torn garments. Even though he knew she was too tired for anything more than actual sleep after everything that had happened, the hanyou went ahead and removed all of her clothing, including her undergarments. After stripping down himself, InuYasha lay down behind her. He pulled his mate to him so that she was protectively tucked into his body, and then pulled a sheet up over them. With one hand draped over her body and his face nuzzled into her neck, the exhausted couple fell into a sound sleep.
 
 
 
Sesshomaru checked on both of his traveling companions after he had closed the door behind him. Fortunately, both Rin and Jaken were blissfully unaware that anything had gone wrong that evening.
 
The inuyoukai had run into his younger sibling and the monk earlier while he was surveying the surroundings before he bedded down for the night. He'd had the feeling that something was amiss, though he could not put his finger on it. So, just to appease his own mind, Sesshomaru had gone outside to take a walk around the inn. It was hard to miss the agitated cursing of the hanyou as he and the monk circled while InuYasha tried to pick up a scent. The Demon Lord had to admit that he was surprised because not even he could pick up the scent of either the priest or the miko in the vicinity of where she had been grabbed.
 
As Sesshomaru pulled off his armor and removed Tenseiga from his belt, he considered that perhaps he should invite the group to return to his home with him. There he would be able to help his brother and the miko develop their abilities to communicate with each other without speech, an ability that would have been useful tonight once the miko had regained consciousness. He would sleep on it and decide whether or not to mention it to InuYasha and Kagome after they were rested.
 
While Lord Sesshomaru generally did not care one way or the other regarding the fates of men, he had to admit he was not going to miss that annoying priest at all. The Demon Lord almost smiled when he realized that the fate he had wished in passing to befall the itinerant priest had indeed come to pass: the giant snake had gobbled him down in one gulp before Sesshomaru sent it into the next world, never to bother anyone on this plane of existence again.
 
 
Miroku and Sango entered the room to discover that the two futons in the front room had been set up on opposite sides with screens placed around each for privacy.
 
“Do you think InuYasha and Kagome are asleep already?” Sango whispered.
 
“I am certain that Kagome is. She was exhausted after everything that has happened today. Should we follow their example and retire for the evening?” Miroku responded, equally as soft.
 
Sango was surveying the arrangements. “It is almost like someone knew that you and InuYasha were not going to be sharing this room.”
 
Miroku replied, “I see what you mean. Surely they would not have thought that InuYasha and I needed this much privacy. Makes you wonder, does it not?”
 
“About what, Houshi?”
 
“Just what our innkeeper might know,” Miroku responded.
 
About that time they heard a soft tap at the door. Miroku slid the door open to find the innkeeper standing there with Kirara in his arms.
 
Sango ran forward, “Kirara! Where have you been?”
 
The innkeeper answered as he handed the sleeping cat to the demon slayer, “We found her locked in a shed with a large amount of catnip. Apparently that priest wanted to make certain that she did not interfere. She appears to be unharmed other than somewhat intoxicated.”
 
Their host surveyed the room. “Have your traveling companions retired for the evening? The miko looked exhausted.”
 
Sango blushed and Miroku started to say something but the innkeeper cut him off. “Their secret is safe with me. No one will disturb any of you while you remain here. However, if either of you would like a separate room, I can certainly accommodate you.”
 
Sango and Miroku each shook their head in response. Sango was still blushing as she said, “It is all right. The screens provide more than enough privacy for us. We really have all had to share the same room before more than once, so we will be comfortable. We feel safer if we remain near our companions, especially after what happened this evening.”
 
Their host nodded in understanding and then told them, “Oh, just so you know, due to the activities that kept you up so late tonight, the men have requested that the memorial service be held tomorrow afternoon rather than in the morning. They wanted to make certain that you are well rested when you perform the ritual. Of course you will be welcome to stay here for as many nights as you need to recover before you begin your travels again. Well, let me know if anything changes regarding your needs or accommodations. We will have a late breakfast for you in the morning when you are ready for it. Please let your companions know that as well when they wake up.”
 
“Thank you, sir. We certainly appreciate it,” Miroku answered.
 
The innkeeper told them goodnight and headed back to his own quarters. As he walked through the quiet corridors of his inn, he smiled as he thought, `Those two are also in love. I wonder if they know it yet?'
 
Miroku and Sango had retired to their futons on opposite sides of the room. Though they hated to admit it, both were worn out after everything that had happened the previous day and evening. Traveling for a good part of the day followed by a battle with a bunch of oversized snakes, only to be topped by the kidnapping of Kagome and Sango, made for a tremendously long and exhausting day.
 
Kirara was still asleep, snoozing off the effects of the potent catnip she had been lured and then trapped with. She could have transformed to her battle form and eradicated it from her system sooner, but because of the effects of the herb, all the firecat wanted to do was to roll around and sleep.
 
 
 
InuYasha woke first the next morning. Though he felt much better after a few good hours of sleep, Kagome was still out like a light. The hanyou closed his eyes and breathed in her scent and snuggled just a little closer with his mate. He knew that the miko had exerted a tremendous amount of energy the day before, first in the battle, and then after the priest had kidnapped her. InuYasha unconsciously squeezed her just a little tighter as he thanked the Kami that his mate had been returned to him unharmed. Enjoying the warmth of their two bodies pressed together, InuYasha nuzzled Kagome again at her neck as he settled in to try and go back to sleep. There was nothing urgent that needed their attention this morning, so they could afford to rest.
 
 
 
Sesshomaru awoke to discover that he had actually allowed himself to sleep during the night. Once the priest was taken care of and his group of men disbanded, there was no other threat in the immediate area. In fact, the Demon Lord was surprised at how the people of the village had welcomed them. The outright hatred that the priest had exhibited was not all that uncommon when it came to humans' views of youkai.
 
It appeared that the elders in this village were wise. Though the fact that this was a trading village and many demons actually had some sort of useful goods to offer may have had something to do with the townspeople's views of them. This particular village was near the edge of his territory and not on any other Demon Lord's lands. Perhaps Sesshomaru would discuss with them the possibility of becoming part of the Western Lands. They had said that their headman was already getting better after the little miko's treatment, so maybe he would be well enough to speak to before it was time for them to leave.
 
Sesshomaru had been pulling on his armor to prepare to go out as his many thoughts went through his mind. He exited his room to find Rin standing in the main room, rubbing the sleep from her eyes and yawning. Jaken was still snoring on his pallet in the corner.
 
Rin smiled when she saw her Lord enter the room. “Lord Sesshomaru, are you well this morning?”
 
“Yes, Rin. And you?”
 
“Rin was tired, but she feels much better now. But it looks like Master Jaken is still asleep.”
 
“Yes. Are you hungry, Rin?”
 
Sesshomaru's question was answered as he heard a distinct rumble from the child's stomach.
 
Rin giggled, “Yes, My Lord.”
 
 
Sango would have sworn that she had gone to bed on her futon alone, so what was she doing waking up wrapped in Miroku's arms?
 
Not wanting to make a scene with Kagome and InuYasha in the next room, Sango whispered, “Miroku, what are you doing over here?
 
“Whatever do you mean, Sango?” Miroku whispered back. He had been lying awake, trying to decide if this was real or if he was really still asleep and dreaming.
 
“I mean what are you doing here with me? Why are you not on your own futon on the other side of the room, behind your screens?” Sango responded a bit more urgently.
 
“Um, Sango?”
 
“What, Miroku? Why have you not answered my question?”
 
“Because we are on my futon on my side of the room. You came over here sometime during the night. I thought you did not wish to be alone after what happened last night,” Miroku responded, trying to remain serious.
 
“No…no, we could not be…” Sango started.
 
“Look for yourself. We are on my side of the room.”
 
Sango hesitantly got up and looked around the screen. “No, it could not be…I did not…we did not…did we?”
 
“No Sango, I would not take advantage of you when you were so exhausted. I just held you, that is all,” Miroku replied, not feeling the need to add that he did get in a few good rubs to her backside.
 
“What about InuYasha and Kagome, what will they think?” Sango was whispering again.
 
“Um…I think they are otherwise occupied. You can hear them if you listen carefully,” Miroku replied softly with a grin.
 
“Oh…” Sango blushed.
 
 
 
Kagome woke to find herself enveloped in the warmth of her mate. She smiled as she felt InuYasha's breath tickle her ear as he softly breathed in a steady rhythm. The miko was not certain if he was still asleep or awake as she wriggled back into him to feel his hardness pressed against her. Opening her eyes, Kagome discovered that they had screens set up in front of them, so that they were not immediately visible from the door. Not knowing who made these room arrangements, but secretly thanking them, Kagome eased herself back onto InuYasha's morning erection.
 
InuYasha knew when his mate had awakened but had remained still in order to see what she would do. He was expecting her to want to get up and get dressed and was a little surprised when he felt her adjusting her position so that he could enter her from behind.
 
The hanyou heard a soft “oomph” when he suddenly completed the movement for her and thrust so that he was seated completely inside of her. Reaching around so that he was rubbing her pearl, he continued his motions until he felt her channel start to flutter around him, along with a soft “ooooh” as Kagome tried not to make too much noise. Once he was certain that his mate had found her release, InuYasha thrust hard a few more times and exploded into her. Without saying a word, he wrapped his arms around her and gently squeezed her as they lay joined together.
 
When Kagome felt him finally slide out of her, she rolled over to look into the beautiful amber eyes that she so adored. “Good morning, InuYasha. Were you able to sleep last night?”
 
“Yeah, I actually did. With that priest finally gone for good, I felt…I felt…”
 
“Relieved?” Kagome finished for him.
 
“Keh. How about you? You were really wiped out after everything that happened yesterday,” InuYasha responded.
 
“I feel better, but I am still tired. Are we in a hurry to leave this village?” the miko asked.
 
“Not until you are ready. We've done what we came to do, and the innkeeper said that we are welcome here for as long as we need to stay. You can use the opportunity to check up on their headman and make certain that he continues to heal. I know you used a lot of energy yesterday, and I don't want you to force yourself to do anything before you are ready, okay?” InuYasha said as he kissed the miko on the nose.
 
Kagome smiled and gently kissed him on the lips. “All right. This is a nice inn and the people that are here are nice, too. I wouldn't mind staying for at least a couple of days to be certain that Ougon is recovering. But right now, I would like to go out and use the toilet and take a bath. You don't mind, do you?”
 
“No. If you had not been so tired last night, I would have taken you into the bath myself. I know how you feel about other men having their grubby hands on you,” InuYasha said somewhat seriously.
 
Kagome kissed him again as she heard a soft knock on the door.
 
“Yeah?” Kagome called out and heard the door slide open.
 
“Kagome?” it was Sango's voice.
 
“We're awake Sango,” Kagome replied.
 
“Do you want to go out with me?”
 
Kagome didn't need to ask to where. “As long as we don't have any repeats of last night. I need a bath, too.”
 
“The innkeeper left two yukata that we could use to wear out to the bathhouse. I'm leaving yours here by the door.”
 
“Thanks, Sango. Just give me a minute,” Kagome said as the door slid shut again.
 
“Ooooh,” Kagome said softly as she felt InuYasha suddenly dive between her legs.
 
When he reappeared the hanyou said, “There. Now you aren't too messy to walk outside.”
 
“Well, I'd better go before they have to wait another hour,” Kagome said as she grinned and shook her head.
 
The miko reluctantly got up and went around the screen to find the yukata and sandals that Sango had left for her. In fact, there was a set for InuYasha as well. InuYasha surprised her by actually pulling the yukata on though he felt no need to use the sandals. However, he did pick up his firerat, hakama and kimono along with Tessaiga to take out with him. He would get dressed after he had soaked in the hot water.
 
They slid the door open to reveal a blushing Sango and grinning Miroku, both dressed to go out to the bathhouse.
 
“Oi, what's with you two?” InuYasha asked.
 
“No…nothing, InuYasha. Are you ready to go out? They will prepare breakfast for us after our bath,” Miroku responded.
 
Just looking at Sango flushing even a deeper color of red had Kagome blushing as well. She moved up alongside the demon slayer and said, “Well, let's go, then,” and headed out the door.
 
 
 
“Kagome, are you sure you are all right after everything that has happened?” Sango asked after they were settled in the hot water.
 
“Yeah, just tired. That took a lot out of me yesterday,” Kagome answered, her eyes closed as she enjoyed sitting in the bath.
 
“Kagome?”
 
“Hum?”
 
“It…it is just that I never got to see…well, can I see…” Sango still did not want to voice her question out loud.
 
Kagome could tell that she was uncomfortable asking, and the only thing she could think of was her mark. The miko pulled her hair off of her shoulder and slid a little closer to Sango, “Is this what you wanted to see?”
 
Sango nodded and looked at the mark that InuYasha had left on Kagome. “Wow, no wonder that priest was confused,” she commented.
 
“Sesshomaru was even surprised when he saw it. He said that he marked me with both halves,” Kagome responded, not wanting to get too specific in the public bath.
 
“And InuYasha?”
 
“His are on his forearm. He had to break the skin for me because it is so tough,” Kagome said softly. “He'd probably show you if you asked him.”
 
Sango just nodded and settled back against the bath, almost nodding off again until she heard an impatient, “Meow.”
 
“Are you hungry, Kirara?”
 
Kirara mewed again.
 
“All right, I think we are ready for breakfast, too,” Sango responded and rose out of the water.
 
 
 
On the other side of the bath, Miroku was trying to decide when he should tell InuYasha that the ceremony to remember Hikari had been moved to the afternoon.
 
The monk's fidgeting was becoming somewhat annoying so InuYasha finally said, “What is it? Spit it out.”
 
“InuYasha, I hope you do not mind, but because of everything that happened last night, because we were out so late, the village men asked if we could move the ceremony to this afternoon instead,” Miroku said fairly quickly, trying to get it over with.
 
“I don't mind,” InuYasha responded.
 
“Really? I was afraid you were in a hurry to get on the road again,” Miroku answered.
 
“Kagome was really tired after everything that happened yesterday. I don't want to make her travel again until we know she has recovered. And besides, the village headman may need more attention. She would like to be sure he is really getting better before we leave here.”
 
Miroku sighed in relief. “Thank you. I have to admit, that Sango and I are tired as well. This is a nice village, in spite of everything that has happened here, and the innkeeper is most accommodating. It is nice to stay somewhere that we all are welcome, would you not agree?”
 
“Yeah.” InuYasha stated before he said, “I think the girls are hungry.”
 
About that time Kirara came running in with a “meow” that clearly said, `hurry up, we're waiting.'
 
Miroku laughed as InuYasha responded, “Tell them we're coming.”
 
Kirara raced back out of the room, her two tails twitching.
 
 
 
Breakfast consisted of rice and soup along with some meats that were much better roasted than the night before. Sesshomaru and Rin had even come in and joined them for the meal. Apparently, Jaken was so worn out that he was still asleep. In no real hurry to be on his way, Sesshomaru had left him on his futon and almost smiled when Rin had gone over to pull up the cover that had fallen off of the imp and tucked him back in.
 
After breakfast, Miroku excused himself and went with Kouketsu, who had come to meet him, out to the hut of the village's priest of many years. The monk wanted to find something of Hikari's that would be appropriate to use at the small altar that would be established in his honor so that the villagers could pay tribute to his memory. Miroku suspected that once the ceremony was complete and Hikari had been properly remembered so that he could be at peace that the priest's soul would probably remain to watch over his longtime village.
 
Kagome was feeling much better after their meal and asked InuYasha to accompany her to the headman's home so that she could check on him. Yuujin met her excitedly at the door and ushered the pair in. They found Ougon actually sitting up with some help and eating a bowl of soup. He was still weak, but obviously much better.
 
“Miko, I understand that I have you to thank for my improvement,” the headman stated.
 
Kagome blushed. “It was nothing. You had some wounds that had become infected that needed to be cleaned and treated. The poultice I made helps to pull the poison of the infection from your body. I told your grandson to make certain and change it at least twice a day. You should continue to use it until you are completely healed.”
 
Yuujin said timidly, “I've been cleaning and changing his wounds a little more often than that. I'm afraid I will run out sooner than you thought.”
 
Kagome smiled. It was unusual for a male to take on nursing duties with such fervor, but it was his grandfather, after all. “That is all right. I have some more of the herbs with me. We will be staying for at least a couple more days while we all recover, so I will make you some more of the poultice before we leave. I am glad you are taking such good care of your grandfather.”
 
The boy blushed at the compliment.
 
Ougon spoke again, “I understand that you also defeated the youkai that have been plaguing this village.”
 
“Well, we all did. It took all of us plus InuYasha's half brother to defeat them,” Kagome replied.
 
“Who is your friend that accompanied you here?” Ougon asked.
 
InuYasha had remained back against the wall, wanting to stay out of the way if he was not needed.
 
“That is InuYasha. He is the leader of our group and the one that actually destroyed the largest snake that was the head of the band of youkai,” Kagome said with pride in her voice.
 
“Come forward, young man. Do not be shy,” Ougon said gently.
 
InuYasha moved out of the shadows to stand next to Kagome.
 
“So, you are a hanyou.”
 
“Keh.” InuYasha said simply. He had not heard any disdain or disgust in the human's voice.
 
“I know that many humans would not want you in their presence, but I hope you have found that our village is not that way. We do much trading, and we do not discriminate. If someone has something to offer and does not mean anyone harm, we will do business with them. I believe that you will find everyone here is grateful that you took care of our problem. Yuujin tells me that they had a feast for you last night,” Ougon continued while Kagome had dropped down next to him to check the sore on his leg.
 
“They did,” InuYasha responded.
 
“Well, I can see that you are a man of few words. Just know that you and your group are welcome in this village any time,” Ougon stated.
 
“Thank you,” Kagome replied for them as InuYasha nodded.
 
Changing the subject, Ougon asked, “I understand there is a monk with you that will be performing a ceremony to remember my old friend, Hikari.”
 
Kagome answered, “Yes. They have asked him to perform it this afternoon. The men in your village wanted to hold it as soon as possible. Miroku has gone to his hut to find something appropriate to use.”
 
“I hope I can attend. I believe some of the men may come and assist me. I already feel much better but am still too weak to walk very far,” Ougon wondered out loud.
 
“Just be careful of your sores. The one on your leg is the worst, but it already looks better. You also have some on your back that you do not want to aggravate,” Kagome told him.
 
“I can take him,” InuYasha said softly. “I know where all of the sores are since I helped you with him last night. I can carry him.”
 
Yuujin startled InuYasha by suddenly hugging him. “Thank you. It will mean more than anything to be able to remember his oldest friend.”
 
InuYasha stiffened up at the contact, and said somewhat gruffly, “It ain't a big deal. It's not like he weighs much.”
 
Kagome tried not to giggle as the hanyou continued, “Just be ready. We'll come when the monk says it's time.”
 
Ougon nodded in response and sensing that InuYasha was a bit uncomfortable in their presence now, said, “Thank you. Yuujin will show you out, and I will be ready for you when you return.”
 
“Keh.”
 
InuYasha and Kagome followed Yuujin out of the home. When Yuujin had said goodbye and returned to his grandfather, Kagome turned to her mate and said, “Thank you, InuYasha. I know that it will mean the world to him to go, and I don't think anyone other than you could get him there without further injuring him.”
 
InuYasha just sighed and said, “What else could I fucking do? He actually told us we are welcome here.”
 
Kagome desperately wanted to wrap her arms around the hanyou and hug him, but knew better than that out here on the street. Instead she whispered where she knew he would hear, “Well, I'll make sure that you are properly rewarded later.”
 
A smirk crossed InuYasha's face. “I'll hold you to it, wench.”
 
 
 
Miroku finally found something that he thought would be suitable for the altar when the brief ceremony was held that afternoon. With Kouketsu's assistance, the monk had also decided where the altar would be located. Once he found the object to use, Miroku had asked if their longtime priest had a favorite place, perhaps to meditate. The village man nodded and led Miroku out to a tree in a beautiful clearing, not far from his hut. Miroku nodded in agreement. It was most appropriate for the placement of the small altar that would be left to remember Hikari by. Together, the two men gathered rocks and set them in place for use as the base of the altar. Miroku kept the dokko he had found in the hut with him. The monk would bring it for the ceremony that afternoon.
 
 
 
Miroku returned to the inn to find Sango sitting outside in the shade, the breeze gently blowing her hair about her face. Kirara was a few feet away from her, snoozing in the warm sun. Careful to keep his wandering hand to himself, Miroku sat down next to her.
 
“So how are you feeling, Sango? And how is Kirara as well?” Miroku asked. He really had not asked her earlier when they awoke to discover themselves on the same side of the room.
 
Sango blushed as she replied, “I am feeling much better after my bath and breakfast, though my head still hurts some. Kirara seems to be better, too. She is just enjoying sleeping out in the warm sun without worry.”
 
“What about Kagome?” the monk inquired.
 
“She took InuYasha with her to go and check on the village headman. She wanted to see how his wounds were doing since she treated him. Kagome said he had an infection that was pretty bad, though it could have been a lot worse. They will probably be back before too much longer,” Sango responded, then asked, “Were you successful? Did you find something to use for the altar?”
 
Miroku nodded as he produced the dokko, “I am certain that this was his. Kouketsu told me that he is sure that Hikari had at least two of them.”
 
“Is that not a bit unusual?”
 
“It is possible that if he was as powerful as they say, his mentor may have left him his dokko when he passed on to the next world. If Hikari respected that priest a great deal, and it is very likely that he did, then he would have started using the dokko that was bequeathed to him and left this one behind since a priest usually only carries one with him to help channel his power. I am pretty certain that it was not something that belonged to the troublesome priest that met his end last night. I do not recall ever seeing him use one. I think he used a staff as I do,” Miroku said seriously.
 
“I see. So that would be a good item to use for the altar, then?” Sango asked.
 
“Yes. I feel only the energy of someone good and pure who has used this, so I am certain that it will serve to mark his altar,” Miroku responded.
 
“Do you know where it will be?”
 
“Kouketsu was quite helpful there, as well. He took me to a clearing that was Hikari's favorite place to meditate. We were able to find some rocks to set the altar with, under his favorite tree. Everything is ready for the ceremony this afternoon.”
 
Sango took a deep breath before she asked, “Do you think InuYasha will want to leave as soon as you are finished?”
 
Miroku shook his head. “No. He said that he does not want to leave until Kagome is well rested. InuYasha realizes how much yesterday drained her. I told him that you and I were only human and a bit tired as well. Since we have been made welcome here, he is not in a rush to leave. He even told Kagome she could make sure the headman was healing properly before we travel again.”
 
“Really?”
 
“Yes, really,” Miroku confirmed. “I know we had a late breakfast, but I am hungry again. Would you like to go with me and see what the innkeeper might have for a light lunch?”
 
“All right,” Sango answered as she accepted Miroku's hand to help her up.
 
“Oi, did I hear you say lunch?” InuYasha asked. He and Kagome were just returning from the headman's home.
 
“Yes. I am hungry again, and it would help to fill the time before we go out for the ceremony. By the way, Kagome, how is the headman doing?” Miroku responded.
 
“He was sitting up and eating this morning. He wants to attend the ceremony, but is too weak to walk yet. We're going to go and get him when you tell us it is time,” the miko answered.
 
InuYasha scowled.
 
“InuYasha, what is that look for?” Miroku was trying not to laugh, for he could only guess what caused that scowl. “Did Kagome volunteer for you to carry him?”
 
“Feh.”
 
“Um, Kagome? If he could sit up, he could ride Kirara instead. I do not think she would mind,” Sango offered.
 
“Actually, that might work better. He could either stay on her, or lean against her during the ceremony. I know you said that it doesn't take very long, but Ougon is still weak, and his sores need to heal. Would that be all right with you, InuYasha?” Kagome responded. She did not feel the need to add that InuYasha had actually volunteered to carry the headman on his own.
 
“Keh. Whatever.”
 
“Well, that's settled then. Let's eat,” Kagome stated as she rubbed InuYasha's upper arm with her hand.
 
Since he sensed no others around, the hanyou actually relaxed and flashed a small smile at his mate. “Keh.”
 
 
 
Ougon was surprised when the hanyou and miko turned back up at his home with the twin-tailed cat that suddenly turned into a large and fearsome looking beast. However, he knew they had not come with any intent to harm him and was surprised when Kagome told him that Kirara would carry him to the clearing. Because of the location of his sores on his leg and back, they thought this was the best way. Kagome also told Yuujin to climb up behind Ougon to help steady his grandfather. Once they were set, with InuYasha walking along one side and Kagome on the other, just in case either of them pitched over to one side, they headed out to the clearing.
 
The village men that were there were all surprised and delighted to see that their headman was well enough to join them. At Kagome's suggestion, Ougon remained on Kirara's back, though she did settle down to the ground so that all of his friends could come and see him. Yuujin had hopped down but remained nearby, just in case his grandfather needed him for anything.
 
Even Sesshomaru and Rin made an appearance to attend the blessing. Sesshomaru had decided he did like this village and was going to speak to the headman to make the offer to become part of the Western Lands. As such, they would receive the Demon Lord's protection against any and all intruders, and have even more business sent their way. Sesshomaru would benefit by increasing the prosperity of his lands, and would ask that a room at the inn be available for any of their party if they happened to be traveling through the area. Sesshomaru thought it would be a good deal all the way around. While he did have other human villages in his lands that he dealt with and protected, there were few that were as worthy as this one.
 
Sesshomaru was brought out of his thoughts as the boy that had been attending the headman ran over to him. After he politely bowed to Lord Sesshomaru, Yuujin said, “My grandfather would like to meet you. He understands that you are the one who returned our brothers to us.”
 
“Rin.”
 
“Yes, My Lord?”
 
“Will you please join the miko and InuYasha?”
 
Rin smiled, “Yes, My Lord!” and ran over to Kagome, who smiled and took her hand.
 
Sesshomaru nodded to Yuujin, who took him to his grandfather. For now, the Demon Lord would only make a polite introduction, but ask for the opportunity to speak with him later, at a more appropriate time when the human was feeling better. Sesshomaru could smell the infection of Ougon's wounds, but could also tell that the poultice that Kagome had made was working very well.
 
 
 
Miroku established the altar and said his prayers while everyone that had still remained in the village looked on. Once he was finished, Miroku welcomed all who were there to come and say their own private goodbye to Priest Hikari and also told them that they should come back often to remember him. Miroku informed them that he was certain that the priest who had guided them for so long would continue to watch over them as long as they paid tribute and remembered him. The villagers lined up, staying back from the altar so that each man could have at least some privacy there. The fact that many did not even attempt to hide their tears showed the love and respect that they had for the man.
 
After Miroku had joined Sango, Kagome told the couple to go on ahead of them. She wanted to let Ougon know that Kirara would take him home and then return to Sango afterwards. She was certain that the headman would want to wait and go last, to say goodbye to his old friend in private. Kagome also told Sango softly that she wanted to take a walk with InuYasha and would be back later. Sango blushed and nodded.
 
After Kagome told Ougon and Yuujin that Kirara would wait and take him home when he was ready, she walked to InuYasha who waiting by the edge of the clearing. The hanyou could tell she wanted some time alone with him, but was not certain what she had planned. InuYasha folded his arms into his sleeves and followed his mate.
 
They had barely made it out of the clearing when they discovered the innkeeper waiting for them. He would come back to the clearing later and say his goodbyes in private. For now, he looked at the couple and simply said, “Please, follow me.”
 
Kagome looked back at InuYasha and he nodded, curious where they were being taken. They followed the man deeper into the woods until they came to another clearing, this one with a spring running through it.
 
He turned to them and said, “This is the hot spring that feeds the bath house. Very few people know about this part of it since most are too afraid to venture this far into the forest. Of those that are left, I am not certain that any, other than Ougon or I, actually know about it. Please, feel free to spend the rest of the afternoon here. You will not be disturbed.”
 
Kagome blushed as she said, “I…I don't understand.”
 
The innkeeper smiled. “There is no need to be embarrassed. You love him as much as he loves you. However, because of your differences, it is difficult for the two of you to be together in public. Out here, you can be yourselves. No one will see you, and no one will hear you. Well, except maybe for your youkai brother. And somehow, I think he has the good manners not to interrupt. No, I can tell that you two are practically newlyweds and need some time alone. Here, you will have it. You are free to come out here as long as you stay in the village. I will not return to this spring until my wife returns to me. Even an innkeeper sometimes needs a place to get away to in order to be alone with his spouse. Just so you know, we normally serve dinner about the time it starts to become dark. Try not to be too late.”
 
With that, the innkeeper left a blushing Kagome and grinning InuYasha behind him.
 
 
To be continued…