InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Live and Let Die (Part 2): Awakenings ❯ So Close, Yet So Far ( Chapter 12 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimers: I still do not own InuYasha or any of the manga/anime characters. They belong to the wonderful genius Rumiko Takahashi. However, any original characters do belong to me.
 
AN: Thanks to those of you who take the time to leave a review. The more I get, the faster I tend to write.
 
 
Live and Let Die: Awakenings
 
 
Chapter 12: So Close, Yet So Far
 
 
By the time InuYasha and Kagome had returned to the inn, the others had completed their breakfast and headed outside. The couple entered the dining area to find the innkeeper approaching them with a tray containing bowls of rice and soup.
 
“Your brother told me that you would be coming for a late breakfast. This will get you started while I fetch some meat for you,” he told them.
 
“Thank you.” “Keh.” they replied together.
 
InuYasha reached over to brush Kagome's hair away from her face. “Are you sure you're all right?”
 
“Yeah, I'm just really tired. I think I'll go lay down for awhile after we eat, if you don't mind.”
 
“Keh. That's a good idea,” InuYasha replied, thinking he might join her. He, too, was drained from the night's activities.
 
The innkeeper approached with a tray of meat. InuYasha was wondering if his brother had said something to the elder, because one of the pieces was only half cooked. With the exception of that first meal they had here, all of the meat the man had presented to them had been well roasted, which InuYasha usually preferred. He was going to have to ask his brother later if his youkai affected what he was craving, because right now, that rare piece of meat was exactly what he wanted. Picking it up and placing it on his plate, he then picked up a well-done one for Kagome and placed it on her plate. InuYasha knew that his mate preferred that her food that was supposed to be cooked be, well, cooked.
 
They talked little as they ate, wondering mostly what Miroku and Sango were up to. Kagome asked the innkeeper when he came back in to check up on them if he knew, and he told her that the couple said they were going to take a walk around the village. Yawning, Kagome told him thank you before she told InuYasha she was ready to go back to their room.
 
InuYasha followed behind her, keeping his arms crossed with his hands hidden in the sleeves of his haori, as they made their way to the room. They entered to find the innkeeper or one of the few he had helping him had already been in that morning, leaving fresh yukata for them to use at the bathhouse, and had even changed the bedding. Stretching as she yawned again, Kagome found two strong arms wrapped around her as the hanyou nuzzled her cheek from behind.
 
Turning into him and wrapping her arms around him, the miko asked, “You taking a nap with me?”
 
“Keh. I'm beat,” InuYasha responded.
 
“Come on, then,” Kagome said as she took his hand to lead him back to their room, sliding the door closed.
 
Once behind the screens that stood in front of their futon, they shed their clothes and lay down. InuYasha pulled the sheet up to cover them as his mate snuggled back into his body. Spooned together, with his arm draped over her, they fell fast asleep.
 
 
 
 
Miroku and Sango had decided to simply take a walk around the village. Still not certain what had happened to InuYasha and Kagome overnight, they had been worried when they woke to find they had never come in. The monk and demon slayer were both relieved when Sesshomaru appeared at breakfast with Rin and Jaken and told them that Kagome had wanted to let them know that the couple was fine and would be coming back later.
 
Afterwards, Jaken made the comment under his breath, “Lord Sesshomaru is not a messenger boy of half-breeds and humans.”
 
The glare the Demon Lord cast at his vassal made the little toad imp wilt.
 
Miroku finally got brave enough to ask Sesshomaru, “Can you tell us what was wrong with InuYasha? We were worried because he seemed so agitated last night.”
 
Sesshomaru looked at Miroku, and the monk, too, started to wilt from his glare, but still held his eye contact. He was genuinely concerned about the hanyou.
 
Deciding that the monk was indeed worried about his pack leader, Sesshomaru said, “It was nothing that the miko could not handle.”
 
Sango and Miroku breathed a sigh of relief and the monk replied, “Thank you.”
 
Sesshomaru said nothing more as the group ate their breakfast mostly in silence, with the exception of some small chatter from Rin. It would be up to InuYasha to inform his group when and where they were going next.
 
 
 
 
InuYasha and Kagome were startled awake sometime later by a great deal of whooping and cheering. Wondering what in the world was going on, they got up and dressed to go outside.
 
As soon as they went out it was clear what all of the racket was. Amidst the snorting and stomping of hooves were the women and children of the village that had returned home. There were many screams of happiness as families were reunited, as well as the wails of those who had discovered that their husband, son, bother, or father, had perished while they were away.
 
Kagome smiled as she saw the innkeeper wrap his arms around the woman who came to him and kissed her deeply. There was no doubt that he truly loved his wife. No wonder he had been such a great aid to her and her mate, though she would always wonder why the innkeeper was not prejudiced against a miko being mated to a hanyou, like most humans or youkai would be.
 
Kagome elbowed InuYasha and nodded in the direction of the reunited couple. “How long do you give them before they are out at the hot spring?”
 
“Well, she is exhausted from being on the road. They pushed hard to get here. I imagine he will let her rest up for at least a day or so,” the hanyou commented with a grin.
 
Miroku and Sango had come back from wherever they were, also drawn by all of the noise from the returned villagers. The four stood side by side, watching the many happy reunions, as well as those trying to console the ones that had lost family members to the youkai.
 
InuYasha felt his brother approach and turned towards him as he and Rin joined them. “Is this where you disappeared to? Did you go back to the village where they were waiting and let them know it was safe to return?”
 
“This Sesshomaru told the headman of this village that it would be done as a sign of good faith.”
 
They continued to watch, as the carts were unloaded, when suddenly most of the faces in the crowd turned towards them. The next thing they knew, there was a rush of women and children in their direction. While most of the women had the good graces to stop and bow, the group suddenly found themselves assaulted by children, thanking them for saving their fathers or brothers. Tears were pouring down the women's faces as many of them tried to get to Lord Sesshomaru, standing stiff as a board, to thank him for returning their men to them. The others were all thanking the hanyou (who was just as frozen as his brother), monk, demon slayer, and the miko, for saving their village and allowing them to return to their homes.
 
Sesshomaru suddenly realized that Rin had disappeared in the crowd, but heard her laugh and discovered she was sitting on Kirara. InuYasha realized the small girl might be crushed by the onslaught of eager women and children, even though they meant no harm, and had lifted the girl up just before they reached them. He called Kirara, who did not want to get squashed, either, so she transformed and InuYasha set the girl on her back. On the large cat, Rin was safe from being hurt by the throng of human bodies.
 
The crowd settled down and parted as they realized their headman was trying to get through. He, too, was joyful at the return of his wife and daughter to him.
 
When Ougon had reached where InuYasha and the group were trapped, he faced his villagers, and raised his hands to quiet them down. “My friends, we have much to be grateful for. This group before you saved our village from the youkai that had been attacking our people. I have been told they killed too many snake youkai to count, including a huge one larger than any youkai ever seen before. While the monk and demon slayer, along with the demon lord and a wolf youkai, killed the smaller snakes, the hanyou and miko took on the task of eradicating the monster. Many of our men that were there fell to the snakes as the youkai tried to kill everything in their path. It was thanks to Lord Sesshomaru that those men were returned to us. The monk prepared an altar and gave a memorial service to remember our dear old priest, Hikari, so that his soul can rest in peace. The miko not only helped get rid of the youkai, but she healed me as well. I would like to introduce our most special and welcome guests: the Monk, Miroku; the Demon Slayer, Sango, and her companion the firecat, Kirara; InuYasha, who is the protector of the Miko, Kagome; and the Demon Lord of the Western Lands, Lord Sesshomaru and his vassal, Jaken, and his ward, Rin.” Ougon had pointed towards each of them as he introduced them.
 
InuYasha whispered, “Hey, where did Jaken come from?”
 
Sure enough, the imp had somehow made his way to his Lord's side. He did not want to be left out if he was being honored again, even if it was by humans.
 
Ougon turned to InuYasha and Lord Sesshomaru, recognizing them as the leaders of their respective packs. “How much longer will you be staying with us?”
 
Sesshomaru nodded at InuYasha to answer, so the hanyou told him, “We have decided to stay one more day, but then we need to be on our way.”
 
“Will you join us for a feast in your honor tomorrow evening?”
 
“Keh. We will be there.” InuYasha spoke for them all.
 
“My friends,” Ougon called to get everyone's attention again. “Our guests will be with us for one more day. We will have a feast in their honor tomorrow evening. Now, everyone, I know that you are tired from your journey. Please, return to your homes and rest. Men, take the horses to the stable and make certain they are properly cared for. They, too, need to rest.”
 
They watched as the group broke up and some of the men went to take the horses and lead them towards the stable. With all of the carts now empty, the mares eagerly headed towards their home, ready to be back in their own stalls and pasture once they had been freed from their harnesses.
 
The headman still remained, as did the innkeeper with his wife. Ougon turned to Sesshomaru and asked, “Would you have time to speak to me now, Lord Sesshomaru? We have agreed that your offer is good and would like to get the details down and settled before you leave us. I would like to be able to announce it at the feast tomorrow evening.”
 
“That is acceptable,” the Taiyoukai responded.
 
Jaken had already disappeared again, but Rin was back on the ground, waiting patiently to see what she was supposed to do next.
 
Kagome smiled and said, “Rin, have you been out to see Ah-Un today?”
 
“No, Rin has not,” the little girl answered.
 
“Is it alright if I take her to the stable to see him?” Kagome asked Sesshomaru.
 
“That is acceptable. Just watch for the horses,” he replied.
 
“Don't worry, we will,” Kagome responded.
 
Sesshomaru told Ougon, “Let us go.”
 
The innkeeper spoke finally, “I have a private room that we can use, if that is acceptable. Ougon asked if I could attend since my inn is involved.”
 
“Agreed,” Sesshomaru responded and followed the innkeeper along with his wife and Ougon indoors. The innkeeper kissed his wife, and she retired to their quarters to wait for her husband.
 
After Sesshomaru was gone, Kagome asked Rin, “Are you ready?”
 
“Yes, Rin would like to see Ah-Un. I hope he is not lonely.”
 
Sango said, “I will go with you. Come on, Kirara.”
 
“We will be here when you get back,” Miroku called. “I am kind of hungry, so I think I will see if they have anything to eat.”
 
InuYasha and the monk watched the backs of the girls as they walked away, Kirara perched on Sango's shoulder. “Come on, InuYasha. Let us go and see what they have to eat.”
 
“Keh.”
 
InuYasha did not move just yet as he watched his mate walk away from him. He winced as he saw the stiffness in her movements, though walking a little would probably help her to loosen up somewhat. Even though Kagome told him that she enjoyed their evening under the full moon, he still felt guilty that she was in pain now because of it. However, she was healing faster than she did before they mated, so hopefully it would not last for long.
 
“Coming, InuYasha?” Miroku asked, pulling him from his thoughts.
 
“Yeah, let's go, Miroku,” InuYasha responded, taking one last look before the girls disappeared from sight.
 
Both men were silent as they walked towards the common dining room. They headed towards a quiet corner to sit down, and one of the girls that had just returned ran over to them, bowing as she asked what she could get for them.
 
“Some tea, soup, rice, and meat, please,” Miroku responded, looking at InuYasha who nodded, “for both of us.”
 
“Right away,” the girl replied and went to get their food.
 
Miroku furrowed his brow as he looked at the hanyou that he considered his friend. Now, he wished he had shown it more often, rather than teasing InuYasha so frequently about so many different things. The monk had been truly concerned about the hanyou since the night before, but was not sure how to approach the subject. So they both sat in silence as they waited for their food and tea.
 
The girl returned fairly quickly with the tray of food and set it down before them as another girl appeared and poured their tea.
 
Miroku thanked them both, and they left, leaving the two alone.
 
The monk finally could stand the silence no longer and noticed that InuYasha was picking at his food when he normally practically inhaled it.
 
“InuYasha?”
 
“Yeah, Monk.”
 
“Will you tell me what is bothering you? Can you tell me what happened last night?”
 
“Why do you want to know? So you have something else to pick at me about?” InuYasha retorted, his ears plastered to his skull.
 
Miroku sighed. “No, InuYasha. I am truly concerned about you. You were not yourself last night, and you seem upset about something today. What happened? I know I heard you growl at me last night, like I was a threat. And I am certain that I heard you growl at your brother, too.”
 
InuYasha drank his soup as he decided if he should answer or not. While the monk seemed concerned, the hanyou had been the butt of his jokes one too many times. It was difficult for him to trust him, at least with something like this. However, he did owe some kind of explanation for his behavior at dinner last night.
 
“It was the full moon,” InuYasha finally said, very softly.
 
“The full moon? I do not understand,” Miroku responded.
 
“It is when my youkai is the strongest, and this was the first one since, well, you know,” InuYasha informed him, barely above a whisper.
 
“You mean since-”
 
InuYasha glared, “Don't say it, monk.”
 
“You are right. I am sorry. So your demon was being extra protective?” Miroku asked.
 
“I think. I don't know. I did not know to expect it,” InuYasha admitted.
 
“But your brother could tell? Is that why he did not do or say anything to you?”
 
“He could smell the change in my blood as the sun went down and the full moon started to rise. He followed us to make certain that it did not take over and turn me into my bloodlust youkai.”
 
“I gather it did not.”
 
“No,” InuYasha answered.
 
“You are still concerned about it? I mean something really seems to be bothering you,” Miroku asked gently.
 
“We won't be able to test Sesshomaru's theory until the next full moon.”
 
“I see. You will not tell me any more than that?” Miroku asked.
 
InuYasha wished he could share his concerns with the monk, but Miroku was such a hentai he simply did not dare. “No.”
 
The two went back to eating in silence.
 
 
 
 
Sango could not help but to notice the stiffness in her friend's movements. “Kagome, are you all right? He did not hurt you, did he?”
 
Kagome nodded in the direction of Rin, indicating that she really did not want to have this discussion in front of her, “No, Sango. I'm just sore from sleeping outside last night, that's all.”
 
They had continued walking up the path towards the stable, making sure not to let Rin run too far ahead. Sango sent Kirara with her, just to make certain that the girl did not get away from them. They would not have worried as much before, but the large number of horses that had returned had been brought this way. While the child was perfectly comfortable around the big, two-headed dragon, she did not know anything about the earthbound, hoofed animals that had preceded them on this path.
 
“Ah-Un!” Rin called as she saw the dragon in the pasture, one ahead asleep and the other one grazing. He rose to his feet and headed towards the little girl. He lowered both of his heads over to her side of the fence so that she could pet him.
 
While Rin was occupied, Sango decided to try again. “Kagome, I know something was wrong last night. And today you look like you have been hurt. InuYasha did not harm you, did he?”
 
“NO!” Kagome stated, no room for argument in her voice. “He would NEVER hurt me.”
 
“But what happened, why will you not tell me?” Sango asked.
 
Kagome looked around, making certain that there was no one within earshot. “Last night was the first full moon since we have been mated. His youkai is at its strongest the night of the full moon.”
 
“Why would that make him growl at Miroku or his own brother?” Sango questioned.
 
“He was being extra protective of me. His youkai saw both of them as a threat to his bitch,” Kagome answered.
 
“So what did you do? Why did you stay out all night? Why are you hurt today?”
 
“I am NOT hurt, I'm sore,” Kagome answered.
 
“Sore? From what? What did you do?” Sango asked again.
 
“Sango, he's my mate. His youkai was at its peak last night. What do you think we did all night long?” Kagome finally answered.
 
Sango flushed bright red, “You mean…”
 
All night. We did not stop until sunrise. Take my word for it, you would be sore, too,” Kagome stated, even though she knew that Sango would never experience what it was like to be tied to an Inu-Hanyou turned Inu-Youkai for time after time during the course of the night. Still, that much sex in one night would make most people at least a little tender the next morning.
 
“Oh,” Sango exhaled.
 
Rin came running back about that time, putting an end to that particular conversation. “Ah-Un seems happy. Rin was worried he might get lonely. Rin is hungry, can we go back now?”
 
“Yes, Rin, that sounds like a good idea. I'm hungry, too,” Kagome said as they started back towards the inn.
 
 
 
 
Miroku decided that if InuYasha would not confide in him, maybe he could gain his trust at least a little if he told him something a bit embarrassing. “InuYasha?”
 
“Yeah?”
 
“You did not really trust me, did you?” Miroku asked quietly.
 
“I can't, Monk. You are too much of a hentai and you have made me the butt of one of your jokes too many times,” InuYasha responded.
 
“That is not what I meant.”
 
InuYasha just raised an eyebrow.
 
“You did not trust me with Sango.”
 
“I wanted to but no.”
 
“So you told Kirara,” Miroku offered.
 
“I was not sure if she understood when I talked to her. Am I to assume that she did?” InuYasha asked.
 
“Yeah. We kind of lost our heads until Kirara interrupted us,” Miroku told him.
 
InuYasha had to frown at that. “So what did she do?”
 
“She transformed and roared right in my face. Scared the crap out of me.”
 
InuYasha just shook his head. He would have laughed if the situation were not so serious.
 
“InuYasha?”
 
The hanyou just looked at him and raised an eyebrow again.
 
“Thank you.”
 
“Huh?”
 
“Thank you. You had the foresight to keep us from doing something stupid. I know you were right. Sango and I are not ready for a child right now. If it were a male, it would inherit my Kazaana if we do not defeat Naraku. As much as I want a son, I would not want to inflict that curse on him,” Miroku said quietly.
 
“I know.”
 
“You know?” Miroku questioned.
 
“My curse may not be the same as yours, but still. I know Kagome wants pups some day, but I worry. I was hated and feared for as long as I can remember. My mother died when I was just a pup and the villagers drove me away. Humans tried to kill me for being half demon, and demons tried to kill me for being half human. Kagome was the first person I ever met that accepted me for what I was, who did not want me to change. Even after last night…” the hanyou trailed off, afraid he had said too much.
 
“What happened last night, InuYasha? I promise I will not tease you about it,” Miroku whispered.
 
“I…I'm afraid I hurt her,” InuYasha said barely loud enough to hear.
 
“Hey guys!” Kagome said as she, Sango and Rin walked into the room.
 
InuYasha breathed a sigh of relief as Miroku just looked at him curiously.
 
“Did we interrupt anything?” Sango asked.
 
Miroku took a deep breath - he was so close to finding out what was going on. “No, my dear Sango, we were just finishing up. Did you come to get something to eat?”
 
“Yeah. Rin and Kagome were hungry, so here we are,” the demon slayer responded.
 
The girl who had served InuYasha and Miroku came out, “May I get you something?”
 
“We will have whatever they did,” Kagome said. “Is something wrong with the food InuYasha? Usually you would have inhaled it.”
 
“Feh. Just got distracted by the monk,” InuYasha answered as he picked up his bowl of now cold soup and drained it.
 
“Wow, no wonder I was so hungry. It's dinnertime, isn't it?” Kagome asked as she looked out and realized it was starting to get dark.
 
“Keh. I think we slept through lunch,” InuYasha said, his cheeks dusting pink as he remembered why they slept into the afternoon.
 
“InuYasha?” Kagome asked.
 
“Yeah, Kagome?” the hanyou responded.
 
“Should we tell them what the plan is?”
 
InuYasha sighed. “I guess we had better. Do you want to tell them?”
 
“All right. Sango, Miroku, Lord Sesshomaru has asked us to come home with him when we leave here. InuYasha and I need to work some things out that we need his help with,” Kagome told them.
 
“What can he help you with?” Miroku asked.
 
“Nothing that we can discuss here,” InuYasha interrupted.
 
Miroku nodded. “I understand. What about Sango and me?”
 
“He has invited you as well. In fact, he said that he would like for you to train with some of his staff. He thought a workout with you two would be good for them,” Kagome answered.
 
“You mean we would get to practice with real demons which are not trying to kill us?” Sango asked.
 
“From what he said I would assume so,” the miko responded.
 
“So he really wants to take all of us home with him?” Miroku questioned.
 
“Keh,” InuYasha affirmed.
 
“So all of you are coming home with Lord Sesshomaru, Rin and Master Jaken?” Rin asked excitedly when she finally joined in the conversation.
 
“Yeah, Pup, I guess we are.” InuYasha told her.
 
“Half-breed, humans…what is My Lord thinking? He will fall into disgrace…” Jaken was muttering as he shuffled into the room, heading towards a different corner from the group.
 
Miroku, Sango, and Kagome were staring in the toad's direction. InuYasha plastered his ears to his head. Even though he was used to hearing the term `hanyou' said with such disgust, he had quickly become accustomed to the way the people in this village treated him and had allowed himself to relax somewhat. Hearing Jaken just brought everything back in a rush and reminded him of how he was usually thought of.
 
Even Miroku and Sango noticed that InuYasha had tensed up and that his ears were drooping after what the imp had said.
 
“I don't know. Maybe it wasn't such a good idea,” InuYasha mumbled to himself.
 
Kagome reached over to touch his hand, but he pulled it away, suddenly afraid. “InuYasha.”
 
InuYasha was still staring at the floor, so Kagome tried again, gently, “InuYasha, Lord Sesshomaru would not have asked if he were not serious. Don't listen to Jaken, you know how he is.”
 
InuYasha shook his head. “He's right. The other youkai will think Sesshomaru has become weak if we go home with him. It will be even worse if I turn up there. Not only will we be targets, but he will become one, too. Kagome, we can hide from humans what we are, but we can't hide it from youkai. They will all know. The only question would be who would they try to kill first? Him or us? It seemed like a good idea when Sesshomaru asked us, but I think we had better return home instead.”
 
“Are you sure, InuYasha? I was hoping he could help us. He seemed to understand what was going on,” Kagome said softly.
 
“I know,” InuYasha whispered.
 
“You know what, Little Brother?” Sesshomaru had just entered the room, having completed his business with the village headman. He did not miss the worry and sadness that had invaded the hanyou's aura.
 
“He knows that it would be a travesty for humans and a half-breed like him to come to My Lord's castle!” Jaken interrupted from his corner of the room.
 
“Enough,” Sesshomaru stated with a stare that sent the toad practically running from the room, mumbling to himself.
 
“Master Jaken was not very nice. Rin was excited that we were going to have guests.”
 
“Hn.” The Demon Lord sat down next to his ward.
 
“I am sorry, Lord Sesshomaru. We really want to accept your help, but InuYasha is afraid it will create problems if we come home with you. If the other demons are as single-minded as Jaken, he is probably right. It might not be a good idea for us to accompany you,” Kagome told him with regret. “I am afraid we would both be too distracted by worry to work there.”
 
“No matter. You can be taught elsewhere. If you learn the basics, you can go to a secure place to practice,” Sesshomaru stated. “For instance, did you not have somewhere safe to go when you both needed to recover?”
 
“Keh. You mean you would come home with us? Back to our village?” InuYasha finally spoke up.
 
“That would probably be a good idea. We can go back and see how Shippou is doing and if he has worn old Kaede out yet,” Sango added.
 
“Or if he needs another lashing,” Miroku added with a grin.
 
“That is acceptable.” Sesshomaru answered. Even though he was completely secure in his standings in his lands and his own home, the Taiyoukai knew that if the pair was distracted by worry, they would not be successful in their lessons. “We will leave as planned, but return to your village. Agreed?”
 
“Keh.”
 
“Thank you, Lord Sesshomaru,” Kagome said quietly.
 
 
 
 
InuYasha and Kagome had retired to their room for the evening. Kagome still needed to catch up on the sleep missed the previous night, so they had bade Miroku and Sango goodnight and closed the door between the two rooms. The hanyou and miko each shed their clothes and then curled up together.
 
Miroku and Sango were sitting together outside. They had decided to go for a walk before they retired for the night, but had ended up in a pleasant clearing with a view of the night sky.
 
“Sango?”
 
“Yes?”
 
“Were you able to find out anything from Kagome about last night? I was almost able to get InuYasha to tell me something, but that was when you returned. All he said was that he was afraid he had hurt her,” Miroku stated quietly.
 
“Kagome swears that he did not. He…he…he just…” Miroku could not see the blush that covered her cheeks in the dark.
 
“InuYasha seems to think that he did,” Miroku reiterated.
 
“Kagome did say his youkai was at its strongest last night because of the full moon.”
 
“InuYasha said the same thing, but what did he mean? And why is he afraid that he hurt her?” Miroku asked.
 
Sango sighed, though her cheeks were burning. “She swears that he did not hurt her, that he would never hurt her. She just said that she is sore. Maybe that is what he is talking about.”
 
“But I still do not understand why InuYasha thinks that he might have harmed her,” the monk said.
 
Now Sango could feel that her cheeks were on fire. “Apparently they did not stop until the sun came up.”
 
“You mean they…” Miroku started.
 
“Yeah,” the slayer said before he could finish his question.
 
“All night?” the monk clarified.
 
“That's what Kagome said.”
 
Wow. What a dog…” Miroku muttered under his breath, secretly impressed with the hanyou's stamina.
 
“Yeah,” Sango agreed, though not with the same intent as the hentai monk.
 
“Shall we go in?” Miroku asked after they had sat in silence under the stars for some time, the monk still thinking about what he had just learned. He knew that he would be torn - half of him wanted to tease the hanyou mercilessly about it, and the other half knew that the monk would never gain his trust if he did. It had taken a lot to get InuYasha to tell him as much as he had before the girls had returned for dinner. Miroku got up and followed Sango back to their room, still deep in thought.
 
 
 
 
They each woke the following morning, feeling much better than when they had turned in the night before. Miroku and Sango had each retired to their own futon on their side of the room and remained there for the entire night. When they woke, they found Kagome and InuYasha already dressed and ready for breakfast. Both the hanyou and miko had slept soundly throughout the night, and felt well rested when they woke, still curled up together. In fact, if they had not promised to stay for the feast in their honor that night, they would have been ready to hit the road once again.
 
The return of the women to the village had managed to encourage Miroku to fall back into his hentai ways. He had been on his best behavior up until now, and Sango thought it was because he was trying to be faithful. She had not thought about the fact that all of the women had been sent away, so there was no one for him to flirt with. The group had almost made it through breakfast when the familiar crack of Sango's hand against the monk's cheek rang throughout the room. Miroku was rubbing his cheek with a dumb grin on his face, and Sango looked livid. InuYasha just shook his head - apparently things were back to normal.
 
Sango had asked if she could accompany Kagome when the miko went to check on Ougon one last time. They were walking towards his home, the demon slayer still fuming.
 
“I…I cannot believe that monk! Even after we almost…” Sango suddenly stopped herself. She had said more than she intended to.
 
Kagome stopped and looked at her friend. “Even after what, Sango? What happened?”
 
Sango shook her head. “Nothing…it is nothing.”
 
Kagome started towards the headman's home again. “If you say so, but you seemed even more angry this morning than you usually are after he has groped you. There must be some reason.”
 
“He…he…he…” was all the demon slayer could spit out.
 
“He what, Sango?”
 
“He flirted with those serving girls and then had the gall to grope me!” Sango seethed.
 
“So… Miroku was being his usual hentai self,” Kagome offered.
 
Sango sighed. “Yeah, I guess he was. I should have known he could not remain faithful to me, even after everything.”
 
Kagome stopped again. “Sango, has he ever actually done anything with any of those other girls? I know he flirts a lot, but has he ever followed through?”
 
“He…he says that he never has, but how can I believe him? I mean, I could when he was behaving himself, but now that he is back to normal…” Sango uttered.
 
“But why are you so angry this time? What happened that you thought things would be different?” the miko prodded.
 
“He kissed me and made me feel good,” the demon slayer whispered.
 
Kirara meowed from her place on Sango's shoulder and made her blush even deeper since the firecat reminded the slayer of what Kirara had interrupted.
 
However, before Kagome was able to ask anything else, Yuujin came running out to meet them. “You're here! I told them you would probably come. My mother and grandmother would like to meet you.”
 
Kagome just looked at Sango. She would have to ask her later what had happened. “All right, Yuujin, lead the way.”
 
 
 
 
InuYasha decided to accompany Miroku out to the altar for Hikari. Miroku wanted to check on it, and InuYasha wanted to keep the monk out of trouble.
 
“Hey, Miroku?”
 
“Yeah, InuYasha?”
 
“So when are you going to stop flirting with every pretty girl we come across? You made Sango pretty angry this morning,” the hanyou observed.
 
The monk sighed. “I could not help myself. I was doing so well when there were only men here, but the minute all of the girls returned my curse came back. I could not stop myself.”
 
“After what you almost did, she probably expects you to be a little more faithful to her,” InuYasha commented.
 
“But I told her…”
 
“Told her what?”
 
“That I have not…well I have never…well not since I met her anyway,” Miroku said.
 
“I know.”
 
“InuYasha?”
 
“Yeah, Monk?”
 
“How did you resolve your feelings with Kikyou? I mean, how do you know you will not run off to her the next time she comes looking for you?”
 
The hanyou pinned his ears to his head and emitted a low growl. “Kikyou died because of me. I thought I owed her my life, even though I knew I wanted to be with Kagome. But that day, that day that she left me after the priest caught me, any feelings I had left were cleared away. My confusion was gone. All I wanted was for Kagome to find me in that cave. I swore to protect her, and I will not leave her again.”
 
“I am sorry, InuYasha.”
 
“Keh?”
 
I am sorry you had to go through that,” Miroku said quietly.
 
“Feh. Do me a favor, Monk.”
 
“Yes, InuYasha?”
 
“Try not to do anything that makes Sango kill you before we get to Naraku.”
 
“All right, InuYasha. I will work on it,” Miroku concluded.
 
They had reached the clearing where the altar was set, and could barely get anywhere near it. Many of the women and children that had returned were waiting to pay their respects, and there were so many offerings that the clearing was filling up. Deciding that everything was in order, Miroku said a prayer and then he and InuYasha returned to the inn.
 
Kagome and Sango had returned, and Kagome announced that she really needed to study. After digging around in her bag to find some of her books, she gathered them up along with a blanket to go outside to find a place in the shade. InuYasha followed her out, leaving Miroku and Sango alone.
 
“Sango?”
 
“Yes, Houshi?”
 
“I am sorry for my behavior. It is just…”
 
Sango sighed, “I know, old habits are hard to break.”
 
“Just know that you are the only one I really want. I will try to do better,” Miroku told her.
 
Sango muttered, “I won't hold my breath.”
 
 
To be continued…