InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Live and Let Die (Part 3): Learning To Deal ❯ Explanations ( Chapter 6 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimers: I do not own InuYasha or any of the manga/anime characters. They belong to the wonderful genius Rumiko Takahashi. Any original characters do belong to me.
 
AN: And thank you to those of you that took the time to leave a review! I read them all and greatly appreciate it.
 
Congratulations to inufan625, beta extraordinaire, on the birth of her third child and first son! Carter Joseph was born on August 2nd. She beta'd for me right up until the day before she gave birth. I wish her and her family well, and look forward to her return when she is ready.
 
 
Live and Let Die: Learning to Deal
 
 
Chapter 6: Explanations
 
Sango had finished bathing and had gotten out of the water, dried off, and redressed. She was currently watching over Rin and Shippou as they played in the shallow part of the river. She had to smile as Rin took the bar of soap from Shippou and scrubbed his back for him, trying to make certain they had done their best to remove the odor that clung to him. At first the kit had protested, but then relented when she said that even she could smell him, and she was certain that it offended her Lord's sensitive nose. Not wanting to do anything to make Lord Sesshomaru angry with him again and remembering that the Demon Lord was the reason he was in the water right now, Shippou gave in and pouted while she soaped up his back. When Rin was finished, she handed the kit his soap on a rope, and then waded out of the water to dry off and redress as well.
 
When Shippou finally realized he was now in the water all alone, he scrambled out and gathered up his clothes.
 
“Hey, Shippou!” Sango called out to him. “You had better wash your clothing as well. It will not do you any good to put them back on smelling like that.”
 
The kitsune sighed and went back into the shallow water, and washed his garments as best he could. Fortunately, they had not been damaged too badly and could be mended.
 
“Hey, what am I supposed to wear now that my clothes are all wet?” Shippou asked with a pout.
 
“Here, I borrowed this for you,” Sango said as she produced a small yukata for him. “I thought you might need something to wear until we either can mend your regular clothes or get you some new ones.”
 
The kit traipsed back up the bank to where Sango and Rin waited and grudgingly took the yukata and put it on. Gathering his wet items back up he questioned, “Can we go back to the well and see what they are doing now?”
 
Sango shook her head. “No Shippou, they sent us away so we would not be a distraction. It is nearing midday, so let us go back to Kaede's hut and wait. I am sure they will stop before too much longer to eat.”
 
“All right,” he responded, pouting again, and followed Sango and Rin back along the trail that would return them to the hut.
 
 
 
Kaede and Miroku led the way back to the hut. Sango and Shippou both looked concerned when they saw InuYasha following behind them, carrying his mate in his arms.
 
“Kaede! What happened?” Sango cried out as she ran up to them, Shippou right beside her.
 
“Shhh, it is all right. The child just over-exerted herself and needs rest. She will be fine,” Kaede responded.
 
InuYasha looked down to see that Shippou looked like he was about to cry. “She's okay, runt. Kagome's just tired. She's through with her training for the day.”
 
“Are…are you sure?” Shippou asked.
 
InuYasha nodded his head. “I'm going to put her in the hut so she can sleep. Try not to make too much noise and wake her up.”
 
InuYasha carried the miko into the hut and laid her tenderly on a mat, and arranged her as best he could so that she would be comfortable. Kaede knelt down next to her to make certain she was really just asleep, and nodded. “She will be fine after she has rested. She used too much energy in her anger.”
 
“You're certain?” InuYasha asked softly.
 
“Yes, InuYasha. She is only sleeping. When the soup is ready, you might see if you can get her to drink a little. It will help her get her strength back faster.”
 
“Keh,” InuYasha agreed.
 
They went back out to see that Sango was talking quietly with Miroku. From the size of her eyes, InuYasha and Kaede gathered that Miroku was telling her about the events of the morning. They also did not miss the blush that was creeping across her cheeks as she spoke with the monk.
 
Kaede commented very softly to InuYasha, “I hope those two have been able to work out some of their differences.”
 
“They have,” the hanyou responded, but was then startled by a loud `CRACK' as Sango's hand collided with Miroku's cheek.
 
“Well, sort of,” he added as they watched the demon slayer storm back towards the hut.
 
Sango was huffing and not really saying anything that was intelligible as she stormed through the doorway. She almost ripped the covering down as she knocked it out of her way. Once inside and out of sight against the others, she leaned back heavily against the wall, still muttering to herself, “I can't believe that monk! Groping me right in front of the others. What was he thinking?”
 
As her anger subsided, she rubbed her bottom where the lecherous monk's hand had cupped her rear. `Well, at least he was groping me,' she thought. `Not one of the village girls. Maybe I overreacted a bit.'
 
Sango was yanked from her thoughts as InuYasha entered the hut, carrying a small bowl of soup.
 
“Kaede says I need to try and get her to eat something,” he told the demon slayer as he kneeled down next to his mate.
 
Sango watched as InuYasha set the bowl down, and ever so gently pulled Kagome into a sitting position, holding her up with his left arm.
 
“Kagome? Kagome,” InuYasha said softly as he tried to awaken the miko enough to drink some broth. “Kaede says you need to eat.”
 
Kagome stirred in his arms and he reached down and picked up the bowl of soup. First, he sampled it himself to make certain it was not too hot before he carefully placed it to her lips to try and get her to drink. Sango, stunned at the tenderness he showed his mate, slipped back out of the hut to join the others.
 
Kaede saw the expression on the slayer's face and decided to look in to make certain everything was okay. The old miko could see why Sango looked so surprised at the scene before her. InuYasha was very carefully holding Kagome against him as he helped her drink her soup. The look on his face was one of love, adoration, and concern. This was not the brash and cursing hanyou the group was so accustomed to, who probably would have been yelling at Kagome to eat if she knew what was good for her. Instead, he was coaxing her with small sips until she had drunk most of the bowl. He then set the bowl back down, lowered her gently to the mat, and wiped the corners of her mouth where just a bit had dribbled.
 
Kaede nodded as he looked up at her. “Good, you were able to get her to eat.”
 
“Keh,” InuYasha confirmed as he blushed.
 
“InuYasha, do not be embarrassed for being a good mate,” Kaede told him. “Now, come and get some food for yourself before you go back out to Lord Sesshomaru. We will watch over Kagome for you, and let her know where you are if she wakes. However, I will be surprised if she awakens before nightfall considering the amount of energy that she used.”
 
InuYasha made sure the young miko was comfortable, brushed the hair out of her face, and then went back outside with Kaede. He refilled the bowl with soup for himself and picked out the solid pieces to eat before drinking the broth. He growled at Sango who was still staring at him in awe, causing Miroku to grin.
 
“See Sango, I told you it was him,” the monk quipped. “That is the InuYasha we know.”
 
InuYasha growled louder. “Feh.”
 
The hanyou turned to Kaede. “Look after her for me. I'll be near the well or Goshinboku with Sesshomaru.” And with that, he took off at a run.
 
Miroku looked confused as he watched InuYasha quickly disappear from sight. “All right. What was all of that about?”
 
“I think our hanyou was embarrassed that he was seen taking care of his mate. Sango, you still looked surprised,” Kaede commented.
 
“I…I did…I did not know…the look on his face as he took care of her. I have never seen that side of him before,” Sango responded.
 
“It is as I told you before. InuYasha has changed. And you would have seen that side of him before if you looked carefully. He is very good at masking his emotions, but this is not the first time he has taken care of Kagome. Perhaps now you have a better understanding. In spite of the things he has said in the past, and some of the things he has done, he loves that child like he has loved no other. Do not forget it.” And with that, Kaede returned to her hut to remain near Kagome so that she could watch over her as she had promised.
 
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
 
Byakuya had finally reached Naraku's hiding place. He approached the evil hanyou to report his success.
 
“So, you were able to deliver the message both to Kikyou and to Kouga?” Naraku asked.
 
“Yes, indeed. They did not look too pleased about it, either. They were each headed towards the village when I returned,” Byakuya responded. “What exactly is it that you are expecting to happen?”
 
“Kukukuku,” Naraku chuckled. “I expect that Kikyou will try to kill her reincarnation, and Kouga will go after InuYasha. Then there is Sesshomaru, who will probably try to kill them both. In the process, I expect Kikyou and Kouga to end up attacking one another: Kikyou because Kouga will kill InuYasha, and Kouga because Kikyou will destroy her reincarnation. Sesshomaru being there just ensures that they all die for interfering with his right to rid himself of his annoying bastard half-breed half-brother. Kukukuku...I might have to travel there in due time to check the outcome for myself. With everyone dead, it will be easy to retrieve the few jewel shards the girl had from the old miko Kaede. The years have not been kind to her. Kukukuku.”
 
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
 
InuYasha slowed down as he approached the well. While he was anxious to find out more about his telepathic abilities that had awakened within him, he was also apprehensive. As he walked, he felt a familiar aura reach out to him and almost tap against his.
 
`Sesshomaru?' he questioned silently, not expecting an answer.
 
`Yes, Little Brother. You did not force me back this time,' the Taiyoukai responded.
 
`Keh?'
 
`This Sesshomaru has tried to reach you before, but you did not allow me to enter. Instead, you pushed me back. What was different this time?'
 
`I…I felt your aura first. I knew it was you. I really didn't expect to get an answer, though,' InuYasha thought back.
 
`Do you know how you heard the miko before?' Sesshomaru asked him.
 
`I just knew it was her. I was even able to hear the conversation between her and the bear at one point,' InuYasha answered.
 
`Fortunately, that bear was old and wise, and not an enemy. If you allow the wrong youkai to enter, it can flood your mind with illusions if powerful enough. However, you are tough and have seen a great deal of pain and destruction. It will also be harder to confuse you because of your other senses,' his brother informed him.
 
`What…what do you mean?'
 
Suddenly InuYasha looked towards the edge of the clearing and saw Kagome, his mate, with Kouga. She and the wolf were laughing, rubbing their hands across each other's bodies.
 
“Doesn't InuYasha suspect something?” Kouga asked her.
 
“No, he's just a stupid mutt like you said. I wouldn't have taken him as my mate except I didn't want to die any time soon by being forcibly separated from him. He does do his best to protect me when you aren't around. The miko giggled.
 
Kagome looked up and the wolf kissed her, thrusting his tongue hungrily down her throat.
 
Suddenly Kouga started to rip at Kagome's clothes. “Well, we'd better hurry before he shows up.”
 
Kagome removed her panties and skirt and dropped to her hands and knees, presenting her rear to Kouga, just as she did to him.
 
“NOOOOOO!” InuYasha screamed, shattering the illusion.
 
InuYasha was panting as he looked back across the clearing. Nothing was there. He sank to the ground as he whispered, “You did that?”
 
Sesshomaru sat down next to him. “Yes, InuYasha. That is the type of thing your enemies can use against you. Now think. What was missing?”
 
InuYasha sat in silence and gathered his thoughts before he answered. “I…I couldn't smell Kagome. I couldn't feel her aura, either. Come to think of it, I couldn't smell the stink of that wolf, or feel his youki. So these…these illusions…I can see and hear them, but I won't be able to sense anything else about them?”
 
“Yes, InuYasha, that is correct. Also, there is one other fact you should know that I did not tell you before. If your mate ever dishonors you, you will feel your marks scorch as though you are being branded.”
 
“But Kagome…”
 
“This Sesshomaru was not finished. It is highly unlikely your mate will ever disgrace you in any way. But this is another way you can tell that something like that was an illusion. The same goes for the miko. If you ever dishonor your mating with her, her marks would burn to let her know. These types of illusions will be more difficult for her to differentiate from reality because she does not have your senses. Now tell me, have you come into contact with anything that used illusions before?”
 
InuYasha nodded. “Naraku's Illusionary Death. He trapped us in vines that fed off of our weakness. Each of us was trapped in a different illusion that was meant to kill us.”
 
“How did you escape?” Sesshomaru asked.
 
“I…I remembered Kagome. I remembered that I couldn't die yet - that I couldn't let her die there. When I refused to die with Kikyou in the illusion, it was broken and I discovered I was trapped in vines with one of them digging into my chest. I was then able to find the others and help break them from their illusion.”
 
“Hn,” Sesshomaru said. “When did this happen?”
 
“Right before you forced me to use the Wind Scar on you,” InuYasha whispered.
 
“So you were able to break a powerful illusion that long ago?” Sesshomaru asked, ignoring the connotation of his statement.
 
“Keh,” InuYasha responded.
 
“And your mate?”
 
“Somehow, she was able to keep from being trapped in it. We don't know why she wasn't affected, other than because of her miko powers,” the hanyou replied.
 
“So she has not had to escape from an illusion such as this before?”
 
“I…I didn't say that. There was another time when we came across a moth demon…”
 
“So do you know what happened?” Sesshomaru inquired.
 
“Just that she remembered me and was able to break free.”
 
“Hn. InuYasha, you must be warned that something similar to what this Sesshomaru did to you will have to be tried on the miko. It will take a hard lesson for her to see what an enemy is capable of. She must have the strength and will to recognize it, and to force them out. Do you understand?”
 
“Keh. What about me? I don't know what I did to end the illusion you planted.”
 
“You shut down your mind at what you were seeing and cast me out. We will address that later. Right now, you should return to your mate. Whether you realize it or not, you expended a great amount of energy yourself. Your mind is getting tired and needs to rest,” Sesshomaru told him.
 
“Keh. Here after breakfast?”
 
“That is acceptable. Now, return to your mate.”
 
InuYasha nodded and wearily walked the path back to Kaede's hut. Sesshomaru was right, he was much more tired than he realized from the exertions of the day.
 
InuYasha reached to hut and entered to find Kaede still watching over Kagome. Rin and Shippou were napping in the corner on their mats. He sat down and moved a piece of hair that had fallen over her face back behind Kagome's ear.
 
“She was really wiped out, wasn't she?” he asked very softly, so as not to wake her.
 
“Aye. She used a lot of energy when she projected that barrier. But she has been resting peacefully. What about you? Did you work with your brother?” Kaede responded.
 
“Keh, and he told me something that I need to share with Kagome before tomorrow. Some things are going to be harder for her because she doesn't have my senses. He wants us to meet him after breakfast in the morning,” InuYasha told her.
 
“It is probably just as well. We should probably wait another day before we try testing your barriers again. Once she learns to control it, it will not exhaust her energy so as happened this morning. Hopefully, what Lord Sesshomaru is doing is not as taxing.”
 
“Oh, you'd be surprised,” InuYasha replied.
 
“InuYasha, it will be a while before our evening meal is ready. You stay here with Kagome and rest with her. I will go check on our dinner,” Kaede said as she stood to leave. “This morning drained a lot of your strength as well, and then you went and worked with your brother. Close your eyes. I will not be far if you need me.”
 
InuYasha nodded and wearily lay down on the mat next to his mate. Throwing one arm protectively over her, he breathed in her soothing scent and drifted off.
 
 
 
Miroku and Sango had left the others to take a walk after lunch. They were headed back along the path towards the river, since Sesshomaru was probably still in the vicinity of the well and Tree of Ages. They said nothing at first, though Miroku did reach over and take the slayer's hand. This time, he did see the pink that crept across her cheeks as they walked side by side.
 
“Sango?” Miroku finally broke the silence between them.
 
“Hum?” She still seemed deep in thought.
 
“Were you really that surprised to see InuYasha taking care of Kagome?” the monk asked.
 
“It…it was the look on his face. I do not remember ever seeing him look like that. He looked so loving, and concerned…” she trailed off. “And the way he was taking care of her. He was so gentle.”
 
“He has taken care of her before, just like Kaede says. He just usually does it when he thinks we are not watching,” Miroku offered.
 
“I was just trying to remember when,” Sango commented, almost to herself.
 
“Well, the most obvious was after we were trapped in the stone Oni and Kagome burned her feet and ankles in the acid to help support him. He was very careful with her after that and watched over her. And back when Tsubaki cursed her, do you remember that? I know we left, and he wanted to go with us, but he stayed because Kaede told him Kagome needed him. Kaede told me that while under the curse Kagome tried to shoot InuYasha with an arrow, but he still refused to leave her. And do you remember the trip back home after that? How gentle he was with her then?”
 
Sango had not interrupted, so Miroku continued, “And how about that time she caught cold and went home, and he went and collected all of those ingredients for a potion to help make her better? Kaede is right. He often was gruff about it, but he has taken care of her in the past. But he always became embarrassed and would do or say something stupid to throw us off track. It is even more clear now that he was torn between his love for Kagome and his sense of obligation to Kikyou. But enough talk about InuYasha.”
 
Miroku stopped and pulled Sango to him in a kiss. She melted into him, leaning into his frame and wrapping her arms around his body. Their tongues quickly became embroiled in a duel to see who could gain entrance to the other's mouth first. Sango finally relented and allowed the monk in to explore. Soon their tongues were twisting together again and the slayer had managed to work her way into Miroku's mouth. However, when she felt his hand cup her breast, she pulled away.
 
She whispered, “Not now, it's broad daylight.”
 
Miroku kissed her gently on her lips. “All right, Sango. Let us continue our walk then.”
 
“Can we go and just sit by the river for a while? It is cooler there.”
 
“Yes, it is getting warm this afternoon. That sounds like an excellent idea. Lead the way, my dear Sango.”
 
Sango blushed a little deeper as she hesitantly reached for his hand. He smiled at her as they continued their way along the well-trodden path.
 
 
 
Sesshomaru was contemplating the things he had learned that day. He was as surprised as the old miko and monk when InuYasha's youki merged into the young miko's aura to become one. Considering the nature of things, the two should have cancelled each other out at best, or InuYasha's youki been purified by the miko at the worst. Instead, they had merged and become even more powerful than they were separately. What had happened defied all logic.
 
Sesshomaru was, but should not have been, surprised at how fast the little miko came to his brother's defense when she thought he was under attack. He looked at the distance of just how far he had been thrown and raised an eyebrow. He had been thrown further than he realized when she erected the barrier to protect them both. The corner of his mouth actually twitched as he remembered her defiant look as she stood protectively in front of the hanyou. And it was not the first time she had done such a thing. There was no doubt, no matter how the fates had thrown the two together, InuYasha had chosen well in protecting this miko and then taking her as his mate.
 
And that brought up another question. The Taiyoukai was surprised at InuYasha's reaction to the illusion he flooded his mind with. Sesshomaru had been expecting his younger brother to respond with anger at his mate and hatred towards the wolf. Instead, his scent became laced with fear and great sadness, and then sudden relief when he broke the illusion and it vanished before his eyes.
 
Sesshomaru was also surprised at the clarity of thought as he carried on the conversation with his brother in their minds. He had stumbled a time or two, but was much more coherent than he had expected. He had apparently had some practice with the miko as he had said.
 
Sesshomaru knew he would have to try something similar with the little miko. Thanks to the slayer, he had the information he needed. He suspected it would be painful, but it was necessary. If she could get past what seemed to be her greatest fear regarding InuYasha, then the rest of what was to come would be easier. He also had another totally different scenario to try and trap the two in together. It would not be pleasant, either, but would force them to use the tools they had.
 
Still thinking, Sesshomaru walked towards the river to check on Jaken and Ah-Un. The Demon Lord was not concerned about the two-headed dragon, but did want to make certain Jaken was behaving himself this near a village full of humans, not to mention his half-breed half brother.
 
 
 
InuYasha woke with the feeling he was being watched. As he stretched and yawned, he turned to see Shippou staring intently at him.
 
Softly, so he would not wake his still sleeping mate, he said, “What? Runt.”
 
InuYasha was startled when Kaede responded from the other side of the room, “I think he wishes to talk with you. I told him I was going to ask you to explain a few things to him.”
 
“Like what?” InuYasha asked, sounding puzzled.
 
“Like how can Kagome smell like you have filled her with your scent, and Sango smells full of Miroku!” The kit exclaimed.
 
Kaede's eye opened wide at that statement.
 
“Fuck!” InuYasha exclaimed softly.
 
“You might think of a better choice of words,” the old miko chuckled. “Why do you not take him outside? Shippou will tell you what I tried to explain to him. Maybe you can help, and reiterate what I told him regarding what he can smell. Do not worry; I will stay here with Kagome. She should be waking soon.”
 
“Keh.” InuYasha had turned bright red at this point. He had a chance to plan what he was going to say to the monk, but did not have a clue how to explain this to the kitsune.
 
InuYasha was trying to figure out what to say as he stalked out of the hut, Shippou close behind him. He followed the path that led past the herb garden, and sat down on a fallen tree at the edge of the wood.
 
“Kaede said you would explain!” Shippou reiterated, tugging at his sleeve.
 
“Keh. Why don't you tell me what she told you first.” InuYasha was hoping that would give him some clue as to what to say.
 
“She said that was how mated adults showed their love for each other. But I don't understand! Miroku and Sango aren't mated,” the kitsune declared.
 
“What else did she say?” InuYasha prodded.
 
“That some times adults need time alone together to work things out.”
 
“Anything else?”
 
“Just that even though my parents loved me, sometimes they needed time to be just with each other. They would come home smelling of each other just like you and Kagome do, and Miroku and Sango did last night.”
 
InuYasha sighed. “Shippou, you are still too young to understand a lot of it. Kaede was right; there are some…some…things…that mated adults do to show that they love each other. And it doesn't have to be just mated adults. It could be a couple intended to marry.”
 
“Like Sango and Miroku?”
 
InuYasha nodded.
 
“But how do you fill Kagome up with your scent?” Shippou asked. “And why?”
 
“Like Kaede said, it is a way we show that we love each other. It also shows every demon that we are together by choice. After we have been together a little longer, we will start to smell more and more alike.”
 
“So you mean if someone like Kouga comes around, he will know she's mated with you now, and that you didn't force her?” Shippou asked curiously.
 
“Yeah. Something like that.” InuYasha did not feel the need to tell the kit they had already encountered the wolf prince.
 
“But I still don't understand how,” Shippou pressed.
 
InuYasha was really bright red at this point. “Shippou, I know you bathe with the girls. Have you noticed that your body and theirs, well, are not the same?”
 
“Well, duh!” Shippou responded.
 
InuYasha thunked him on the head for that. “I'm trying to be serious. You're not helping.”
 
“Yes, I've noticed,” Shippou whined.
 
“Well, there's a reason for it. When you're grown, and your body matures, the male body fits together with the female body. That's why they're different.”
 
“Like those jigsaw puzzles Kagome brings back?”
 
“Kind of, but there are only two pieces,” InuYasha answered.
 
“And when they fit together, you are able to fill her with your scent to tell other demons hands off?” Shippou asked.
 
InuYasha released a sigh of relief. It appeared that he seemed to be getting the idea without getting too graphic. “Yeah, runt, that's right.”
 
“So even though Sango and Miroku are not mated, they can because they are grown-ups and supposed to get married?” the kit clarified.
 
“That's about right. They probably won't as much as a newly mated or married couple, but yeah. And Shippou? Remember what Kaede said. Humans can't pick up what our noses can. They really don't need to know when something like that has happened. It's personal and usually kept private,” InuYasha responded. “Remember when you said something about the girls' monthly blood one time? Remember how they reacted when they heard you?”
 
Shippou shuddered at that thought. Both Kagome and Sango were very embarrassed and very angry.
 
“All right, InuYasha. I'll try to remember,” Shippou answered.
 
“And Shippou, remember what else that Kaede told you - sometimes adults need some time alone. Miroku told me that you interrupted him and Sango when he went to a lot of trouble to prepare a special dinner for her.”
 
Shippou looked at the ground. “I know. I told Kaede that Sango said she didn't want to be alone with him, and that was why I went. I didn't expect Miroku to get so mad at me. Sango said it would be fun and he wouldn't mind. That was when Kaede told me all of that.”
 
“Runt, just remember that because I need to spend some time with Kagome, she won't love you any less. Don't try to follow us the next time I take her somewhere to get away for a little while. You know we'll always come back, okay?” InuYasha told the kit.
 
“Okay,” Shippou replied.
 
“Come on, then. Let's go see if Kagome is awake yet. I know she's hungry because her stomach was growling in her sleep.”
 
InuYasha swooped the kit up and placed him on his shoulder. Shippou was still a bit confused, but not nearly as much as before. He rode the hanyou's shoulder in silence as they followed the path back to the hut.
 
They reached the hut to find Kagome sitting outside with Kaede. She smiled broadly when she saw InuYasha and Shippou return. She would ask InuYasha later how his “talk” with the kitsune went. For now, she held out her arms and Shippou jumped down from the hanyou's shoulder to get squeezed until he squealed again.
 
“You're all better!” Shippou exclaimed.
 
Kagome smiled at InuYasha as he sat down next to her. Leaning against him, she said, “Yeah, I'm okay. I was just really wiped out. I hope I have enough energy to do that again tomorrow.”
 
Kaede shook her head. “No, you were really exhausted after this morning and should rest for at least a full day before we attempt any of that again. I think Lord Sesshomaru has plans to work with you tomorrow. Hopefully, what he has in mind will not be so taxing as erecting barriers and throwing him across the clearing.”
 
They all chuckled at that.
 
Kagome looked at InuYasha and he confirmed they would be working with his brother with a nod before he said, “And that reminds me. There is something I need to tell you before we see him tomorrow.”
 
“What is it, InuYasha?” the young miko asked.
 
“Not here,” InuYasha said very softly.
 
Okay,” Kagome responded as she set Shippou down. “Shippou, you stay here with Kaede. We'll be back in a little bit.”
 
The kitsune pouted, but moved to sit by Kaede.
 
InuYasha stood effortlessly, and pulled Kagome up with him. She took his hand as they walked back in the direction he had just returned from with Shippou.
 
As they watched their backs walk away, Kaede asked, “So was InuYasha able to explain things a little better?”
 
Shippou basically went through and told Kaede about the discussion he had with InuYasha. Kaede was surprised that InuYasha had done as well as he had, even though he had no warning he would have to perform such a task.
 
“Well, Shippou, I am glad he was able to explain in a way that made sense to you. Now, I think Rin is inside alone coloring with your crayons. Why don't you go and join her until everyone returns,” Kaede suggested.
 
“Okay, Kaede.” Shippou got up and went inside the hut to find that Rin was indeed sitting quietly and filling in the picture on the page. Grinning at each other, Shippou dropped next to her on the floor and picked up a crayon. They chatted quietly as they colored in the book.
 
 
 
InuYasha led Kagome back to the same fallen tree he had just vacated with Shippou. Sitting down, he pulled her into his lap and kissed her.
 
When they pulled apart to breathe, Kagome cupped InuYasha's face in her hands and asked, “What is it, InuYasha? What do you need to tell me?”
 
InuYasha was silent at first as he tried to discern what to tell her. Finally he said, “Sesshomaru is going to work with you tomorrow like he did me. There is something you need to know, that I didn't know before.”
 
Kagome gently stroked his cheek. “It's okay, go ahead and tell me.”
 
“It…it could come in handy if you are forced into an illusion. I…I learned that you can only see illusions, you won't pick up anything else from them other than what you can see or hear.”
 
“Like what?”
 
“Well, like if it is a demon or another like Kaede or Miroku involved, you won't be able to pick up anything from their aura with yours. For me, I couldn't pick up their scents either. But Sesshomaru told me something else we should know…”
 
Kagome waited patiently for him to continue. She took his hand in hers and started to rub circles in his palm with her thumb.
 
Finally, InuYasha said, “There is a way to tell if one of us ever dishonors our mating. If one of us willingly goes with another, the other can tell.”
 
“What do you mean?” she finally asked.
 
“Sesshomaru says that if one of us does anything to disgrace our mating, the other's marks will burn like being branded. Say if you saw me with Sango, or even if you didn't see me, if we were doing something we shouldn't be doing, your mark would burn,” InuYasha said seriously.
 
That made Kagome giggle. “I'm sorry, InuYasha. I know you are trying tell me something important, but the idea of you with Sango - she would kill you faster than the monk.”
 
“Keh.” InuYasha smiled a little. This was hard for him because he knew he would never cheat on Kagome, and couldn't imagine that she would on him.
 
“Wait, Sesshomaru showed you something that you needed to know this for, didn't he?”
 
InuYasha just nodded, and Kagome decided not to ask looking at the expression on his face.
 
“Kagome, he said that this will be a lot harder for you because you don't have my sense of smell. You'll have to rely on what you know, and also on what you can feel with your aura. It's like when you were trapped in that illusion by the moth demon. I don't know exactly what you did, but you were able to free yourself. And if you ever see me kissing someone else, remember I would never want to do that with anyone but you, but that your marks would burn if I did,” InuYasha restated. “No matter how real it looks, you can't forget those things.”
 
“I'll try to remember, InuYasha,” Kagome said as she snuggled up against him.
 
“Kagome, are you really all right? You slept for a long time today.” InuYasha sounded concerned.
 
Kagome responded, “Yeah, though I'm glad Kaede said no barriers tomorrow to make sure I recover. Apparently I threw your brother a fair distance.”
 
InuYasha chuckled. “You sure did. I think even he was surprised at what happened. He didn't expect that at all.”
 
“You would think by now he would know we are full of surprises,” Kagome laughed.
 
“Keh.” InuYasha grinned, and then kissed her.
 
“Um, Kagome?”
 
“Yeah, InuYasha?” Kagome said as she pulled back far enough to see his face.
 
“There's something else you might should know since everyone else seems to,” the hanyou said hesitantly.
 
“What do you mean?” Kagome questioned.
 
“Well, I could tell by their scent, and so could Shippou. Before I came out here with him, he said something that told Kaede even though he didn't mean to,” InuYasha responded.
 
“What…what is it?” the miko asked.
 
“Well…well…Miroku and Sango…” was all he was able to spit out.
 
“Miroku and Sango what? They didn't have another fight, did they?”
 
“No…no, not exactly.”
 
“What is it InuYasha? Is Sango okay?” Kagome sounded worried now.
 
“I…I guess so. I…I mean you were…”
 
“I was what?” the miko prodded.
 
“You were all right after the first time. At bit sore is all…” InuYasha desperately hoped she understood what he was trying to say.
 
Kagome's eyes suddenly opened wide. “No! They didn't!”
 
InuYasha only nodded, confirming…
 
“They did?” Kagome finished.
 
“Yeah, they did.”
 
“Well, it's about time!” Kagome exclaimed, and then asked, “When? Could you tell?”
 
InuYasha answered, “It was pretty fresh, so I would say last night. Shippou commented that they came back in smelling like each other. It was one of the reasons he wanted to talk to me. Kaede had told him that was how mated couples show they love each other, and they aren't either mated or married, so he was confused.”
 
Kagome couldn't help but to giggle. “So what did you tell him?”
 
“That it could happen between grown-ups that intended to get married, too. He seemed to accept that.” InuYasha was blushing again.
 
“So just how much did you have to explain to him?” Kagome was still laughing. She couldn't help it.
 
InuYasha sighed. “Just that our bodies are different so they can fit together. And when they do, the male can fill the female with his scent so other demons will know they are together by choice.”
 
Kagome whispered in his ear, “And I want you to fill me often.”
 
InuYasha was now even brighter than his red haori. Kagome snuggled a little closer and just held on to him. She was still grinning at the thought of InuYasha explaining this to Shippou, like he would a son.
 
“InuYasha?”
 
“Yeah, Kagome?”
 
“I'm proud of you.”
 
“For what? I ain't done nothin'.”
 
“Yes, yes you have. You have become very responsible. Not just in how you take care of me, but how you talked to Miroku, and now to Shippou. Even when Hojo came to visit, you weren't jealous and left me alone with him. You have no idea how that made me feel.”
 
“What…what do you mean?” InuYasha said, afraid he had done something wrong.
 
Kagome moved so she could look into his eyes again and reached up with one hand to cup his cheek. “It made me feel so good to know that you trusted me like that. You knew that Hojo used to come around to see me, and yet you voluntarily left the room so he could ask me what he needed to. Just knowing that you had that much faith in me made me love you even more, and I wouldn't have thought that was possible.” She punctuated the thought with a gentle kiss.
 
“Keh,” the hanyou responded, relieved she wasn't mad at him.
 
Kagome wrapped her arms back around him and leaned against his chest. They sat, just enjoying each other's company, for a few more minutes before InuYasha announced that it smelled like their dinner was almost ready and they probably should go back. They stood, kissed softly one more time, and headed back down the path.
 
 
To be continued…