InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Live and Let Die (Part 3): Learning To Deal ❯ Best Laid Plans ( Chapter 26 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimers: I do not own InuYasha or any of the manga/anime characters. They belong to the wonderful genius Rumiko Takahashi. Any original characters do belong to me.
 
AN: Thanks much for the reviews left so far. I read each and every one of them, and greatly appreciate the time you took to leave one.
 
 
Live and Let Die: Learning to Deal
 
 
Chapter 26: Best Laid Plans
 
 
“Fuck! I can't believe she came after us,” InuYasha cursed.
 
He was hard again, and was tenderly thrusting into his mate as they lay at the base of the Goshinboku. He thought the others would have enough sense to leave them alone for awhile. He sighed heavily as he pulled out. He hurriedly yanked on his hakama and threw his kimono over Kagome, since she was still laying on his haori.
 
“Kagome! Are you out here?” Sango called. She knew the miko had wandered off on her own and was concerned about her.
 
The miko in question shoved her arms through the sleeves of the garment and wrapped it around her body. She motioned to InuYasha to join her, so he sat behind her and folded her protectively into his body. “We're over here,” she answered.
 
The hanyou just growled in frustration.
 
“Where are you? I can't see you,” the slayer yelled out.
 
“You're not supposed to,” InuYasha muttered.
 
“Oh, there-” Sango stopped abruptly and turned bright red. “Kagome, I'm… I'm… I am sorry. I was worried…”
 
“Better you than the pervert,” InuYasha said loud enough for her to hear.
 
“InuYasha!” Kagome admonished.
 
“What pervert would that be?” a male voice asked.
 
The hanyou groaned. He finally managed to get his mate truly alone for the first time the jewel had been purified, and now this. Luckily, he heard Sango calling since they'd approached from downwind.
 
Kagome squeezed the arms that were wrapped around her. “InuYasha, we need to talk with them, anyway. Maybe now's as good a time as any. Miroku, Sango, would you go and wait by the well? We need to get dressed.”
 
“We do not mind waiting for you to finish what you were doing,” Miroku said as a grin crossed his face.
 
“Hentai!” Sango yelled as she slapped him and then grabbed him by the ear. “We will be by the well when you're ready,” she stated as she dragged him away.
 
 
“Is the coast clear?” Kagome asked. She didn't want to stand up until she was certain Miroku was safely out of sight.
 
“Yeah, Sango's probably got him in a headlock by now so he can't come back and peek,” InuYasha answered. “I hope he knows what he's getting himself into.”
 
Kagome just grinned as InuYasha grabbed her panties and held them so she could step into them.
 
 
They walked hand in hand to the clearing by the old well. Kagome had to giggle at the sight before them. Miroku and Sango were sitting on the wall of the well with their backs to them. Sango still had the monk by his ear and yanked every time he tried to turn his head.
 
“Oi, don't pull his ear off,” InuYasha called as they approached.
 
“I knew you'd kill him if he tried to look at Kagome when she was dressing, and I would prefer he still be alive when our hut is complete. It would be a shame if he survived Naraku and his curse, only to get struck down by his friend for being a lecher,” Sango commented. “Now, what did you want to speak with us about?”
 
It was Kagome's turn to sigh, and her eyes once again welled up with tears. “It… it… it's just that…”
 
“What is it, Kagome? What has you so upset?” the slayer asked with worry in her voice.
 
Kagome had turned into InuYasha and buried her face in his chest. “Do you want me to tell them?” he asked gently.
 
“Tell us- this has something to do with the jewel being purified, doesn't it?” Miroku questioned.
 
Kagome nodded, her face still pressed against her hanyou.
 
InuYasha stroked her hair as he said, “Midoriko told her she has to choose because the well is going to close. She also told her she wasn't meant to stay here, but to return to her time. It's been killing her.”
 
“Oh, Kagome…” Sango uttered. “What will you decide?”
 
“I think she already has, Sango. I think that's why she has been so sad in our presence,” Miroku offered. “You are going back to your time, are you not?”
 
Tears streaming down her face, Kagome turned to face them. “I'm afraid I may do something to change the course of time if I stay here. Midoriko only gave me the choice because of my mating with InuYasha. I think if it had not been for that, I probably would have been sent home the minute the jewel was destroyed. InuYasha is adjusting to my time, and he says he can live there. We know that you two are more than enough to help protect the village now, and you'll have Kohaku to assist you. We'll be able to stay long enough to see you married, but then we must return home. I don't know that I'll be able to say goodbye again, I may just have to go. I hope you'll understand.”
 
Sango held her arms out, and Kagome went to her. The miko sobbed while the friend she considered a sister held her.
 
“Come on, Monk. Let's leave them alone,” InuYasha said.
 
 
As they walked away, Miroku asked, “InuYasha, will you tell me about the wedding ceremony you had in Kagome's time?”
 
“Not much to it. We both took three sips of sake from three different cups apiece, and we were married,” the hanyou responded.
 
“Do you think that Sango and I could do that?”
 
“Don't see why not, but don't you have some Buddhist ceremony?”
 
Miroku shook his head. “We will bless almost any union, but do not have a ceremony as such. Really, only the lords and samurai have actual weddings, and they are usually arranged to unite families, not just two people. I would like something to show Sango that I will be faithful only to her. I will not be like the lords that have numerous wives and concubines in order to have many heirs.”
 
InuYasha snorted. “You wouldn't last very long if you tried that. She'd hand you your fucking ass on a platter.”
 
Miroku grinned.
 
 
 
InuYasha and Kagome made one trip back through the well before the wedding. Miroku and Sango's hut was finished, and they wanted to wait no longer to get married. Kagome had asked her grandfather if she could borrow the ceremonial cups for the san san kudo. After raving about how old and valuable they were, he relented and even produced a cask of sake to take back as well. He said if they were going to do it, they might as well make sure and do it right. Kagome thanked him and kissed him on the cheek before carefully wrapping everything up to take through the well to the past when they returned.
 
Kagome had also taken the opportunity, while she was home, to let her mother know to be prepared; she and InuYasha were about to return for good. The well would seal the moment InuYasha turned human for the night, and there would be no going back. Her mother just held her and let her cry again.
 
 
 
Once they had gone back through the well to the past, Mama went inside and picked up the phone. “Yes, they said that they are getting ready to come back for good. Once evening falls the night of the new moon, the well will seal and they will no longer be able to travel through it.”
 
“I understand,” the voice on the other end of the phone said. Sesshomaru looked at Rin as he replaced the phone on the receiver. “They will be back permanently with the next new moon. How long do you think we should wait?”
 
“Why don't we go to the shrine and visit with them? They may need to get used to being here and the fact that they cannot travel back again before we spring too much on them,” Rin responded thoughtfully. “You should know by now that human women aren't exactly predictable.”
 
Sesshomaru chuckled. He still thought that was a vast understatement.
 
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
 
Miroku and Sango were wed by Kaede with Kagome assisting, and Kohaku, InuYasha and Shippou looking on. However, instead of the custom of only family members attending, it seemed like the entire village was there to watch. In fact, when one of the wealthier men in the village found out sake was involved, he donated a large cask so that plenty would be available. Once word spread, people started donating other things in all manner of food and drink. By the time all was said and done, they had the makings of quite a party.
 
 
Miroku was a bit tipsy after the ceremony. Though InuYasha had informed him that he didn't have to take real sips of sake until the last of the three, the monk had barely left enough in the cups for Sango to have enough for hers. In fact, he pretty much drained the first two sets, but at least remembered to leave some for Sango on the last go. He had not drunk much alcohol ever since Sango had joined their group, so the sake went straight to his head. Sango had to restrain herself from slapping him when he grabbed her and pulled her to him in order to kiss her when Kaede pronounced they were married. Of course, he couldn't restrain himself from cupping her butt in front of all of their guests. Kagome blushed, and InuYasha snickered. It looked like some things weren't going to change any time soon.
 
 
The hanyou had been reflecting on everything that had happened that day and evening so far when he was yanked from his thoughts. “InuYasha, will you dance with me?” he heard.
 
“Kagome… I… I… there are all these people…” he responded. He hated to admit it, but he was still afraid to show any type of affection to his mate in front of the rest of the humans in the village.
 
“They probably won't notice. They're all waiting to see what Miroku does next.” Kagome giggled. “He's already groped Sango a couple more times. I hope she doesn't kill him before they get back to their hut. On top of that, he's still drinking. Maybe we should go and see if we can get him to tone it down.”
 
“Keh. I can't believe he's lost control like this,” the hanyou responded.
 
“Sango is disappointed but not mad at him. Apparently, he's just been a bit overwhelmed with everything that has happened recently. He keeps waiting for his wind tunnel to reappear; he's worried that he will wake up and find out that it's all been a dream,” the miko said softly.
 
“I kind of know how he feels,” InuYasha offered. “I felt the same way after you saved me and then accepted me as your mate. I was terrified I would wake up and none of it would be real. I was always so relieved to wake up with you in my arms. I don't know how long it took before I realized you weren't going away any time soon, that you really were there.”
 
Kagome wanted to wrap her arms about him, but refrained because of InuYasha's concern at being seen. “I always thought all of your nightmares were from… well… you know… I had no idea.”
 
“There really wasn't anything you could have done, except to be there. I… well… many of my nightmares were from that… but then they were replaced by the other…” InuYasha said softly. “Come on. Let's go see if we can get Miroku to his hut. There's no need to allow him to embarrass Sango any longer.”
 
He looked over to see that the amorous monk now was sort of dancing with his wife, but had a butt cheek cupped in each hand. He also was leaning heavily into her. It was a good thing that Sango was more than strong enough to support his weight.
 
InuYasha strode over to the drunken monk and picked him up, slinging him over his shoulder. Kagome whispered something in Sango's ear, and she nodded. The two girls followed them towards the couple's new hut.
 
“Sango, I'm so sorry,” Kagome said as InuYasha laid Miroku, who was now asleep, on the futon. It didn't look like they would have much of a wedding night.
 
“I don't understand… Has he changed his mind?” Sango sobbed. “Why did he have to get drunk tonight?”
 
“Well, it started during the ceremony. That sake went straight to his head,” InuYasha stated. “He'll sleep it off.”
 
“But he'll probably have one heck of a headache in the morning,” Kagome added. “Sango, do you remember what you were telling me… about Miroku, I mean?”
 
“You mean that he's afraid this is a dream?” she asked hesitantly.
 
Kagome looked towards InuYasha, who had finished settling the monk in for the night, having thrown the blanket over him. He sat on the floor next to the futon, and Kagome went to him. Pulling her into his lap he said, “He'll be all right. He doesn't want anyone but you, I can tell you that. Just give him a chance to realize that it's all real and that you aren't going anywhere. He thought he was going to die, but now Naraku has been defeated, and you have become his wife. A whole lot has happened the last couple of weeks.”
 
“So you… you… you went through something like this?” Sango practically whispered.
 
“Keh. Don't give up on him,” InuYasha advised. “He got drunk tonight because he's happy, that's all. Don't think any more about it.”
 
“Thank you, InuYasha,” the newly married slayer said. “What about you two? When do you have to go back?”
 
Kagome sighed. “We have about two weeks at the most. I don't know how I'll manage knowing I can never see any of you again.”
 
“Wha…what?” a small voice said from the doorway. Shippou was standing there wide-eyed, staring at her.
 
“Fuck,” InuYasha cursed. His nose was so full of the scent of sake that permeated Miroku, and the sadness that surrounded Sango, that he hadn't realized Shippou was there.
 
“What do you mean?” the kit said a little louder.
 
“Oh, Shippou… I was going to tell you. I just haven't been able to find the words…” Kagome whispered as she climbed out of InuYasha's lap to stand.
 
“You're leaving for good?”
 
Kagome repeated what she had relayed to Miroku and Sango earlier, minus the fact she actually had a choice.
 
She found her arms full of a wailing kitsune. “Don't go! You can't leave me.” He jumped down and glared at InuYasha. “It's your fault, isn't it!”
 
This time he was surprised to find himself snatched up into the air by the miko. She turned him to face her and held him at arm's length while she spoke, “Shippou, don't you dare blame InuYasha for this. You need to be thanking him, because the fact that we're mates is the only reason I was allowed to come back for a little while. Otherwise, I would have been sent home as soon as the jewel was purified. At least this way, I got to say goodbye. And, don't forget, you're a full demon. You could easily be alive in five hundred years to come and see me. You know where the shrine is, so there is no reason why you couldn't.”
 
His eyes opened even wider at that statement. “You… you… you mean it?”
 
“Hell, my brother, and even Totosai, is still alive in Kagome's time, so there's no reason why you shouldn't be. Maybe you won't be so annoying by then,” InuYasha answered.
 
Kagome pulled him against her body and squeezed. “Shippou, I do love you. I just don't belong here. I do hope you'll look me up. And somehow, Sesshomaru has survived and become quite successful. At some point, you might want to go and pay him a visit. I'm sure he could be a great help to you.”
 
“Sess…Sess…. Lord Sesshomaru?”
 
“Yes, Lord Sesshomaru.”
 
InuYasha smelled the fear that entered his scent. “Runt, he won't do anything to hurt you if you don't irritate him. If you go, remember he's the Lord of the Western Lands and pay proper respect. You've been around that ward of his enough that you should have observed how she behaves in his presence.”
 
“Rin?”
 
“And don't go getting no ideas in your head about her. She's not meant for you. If you pursue her, you probably will find yourself getting hurt,” InuYasha said with a finality that let them know he knew something.
 
Shippou sighed. “All right, InuYasha. But what about me?”
 
Kagome hugged him again. “We don't know, Shippou. They haven't let us know anything that might end up altering the future. But I have no doubt that somewhere there is a girl just for you.”
 
“Besides, Runt, you're too young for that now, anyway. You've got a few years before you should even consider looking for a mate,” InuYasha added. “First, why don't you try and grow up? You'll know when you're really ready.”
 
“You really don't have any choice?” Shippou asked Kagome.
 
“I'm sorry, Shippou. Midoriko said that was the way it was meant to be. I'm supposed to go home. InuYasha is coming with me since we belong together,” she answered.
 
“I could come with you!” Shippou exclaimed.
 
The miko sadly shook her head. “The well only works for us. And once we go back through it, it won't work any more.”
 
Now Sango was crying. Kagome set the kitsune down and went and pulled her to her in a hug. “I know that you'll be okay. You two are strong. I'm counting on you and Miroku to stay here and protect the village, and then, hopefully, your children. They should be powerful with parents like you. I wish that I could be here to see them. Now, we should leave you. I know that you're tired and could use some sleep. Don't worry; you have the rest of your life with Miroku. At least now you know that he doesn't hold his sake very well.”
 
That drew a chuckle from the demon slayer as she pulled away and wiped her eyes. “Well, Shippou, would you like to stay here with me for the night? I might need help with Miroku when he comes to.”
 
Kirara looked up from her own small bed where she had been sleeping and meowed.
 
Happy with the invitation, Shippou nodded.
 
“Come on, InuYasha. Let's see if Kaede needs help with anything.”
 
The hanyou nodded and gracefully rose to his feet and followed his mate out of the hut.
 
 
Kagome turned to InuYasha when they were clear of the hut and pulled his face to hers in a kiss. “I've wanted to do that all evening.”
 
“I'm sorry, Kagome. I hope you can understand why. The humans here aren't like your mother and brother. They tolerate me, but that's it. They're still afraid of me,” the hanyou said.
 
“You mean, even after everything?”
 
“Keh.”
 
“Did you see that?!” a loud, drunken voice yelled out. “The half-breed has bewitched the miko with his demon blood!”
 
A number of inebriated men joined the first and glared at the couple.
 
“Oh, fuck,” InuYasha stated. “This ain't good.”
 
“InuYasha, they're only human, and they're drunk. They can't hurt you.”
 
“But they can hurt you,” he stated worriedly.
 
“I'm wearing the clothing your brother gave me. They'll have a hard time,” the miko whispered.
 
“I don't like it. There's not much meaner than a drunken mob.”
 
“Miko, move away from the half-breed!” one of the men commanded.
 
“NO!” Kagome yelled back.
 
“It's because of him that youkai have been among us, and still are!” another shouted.
 
“It's because of him that you are still alive!” an angry Kagome screeched. “What's wrong with you people?!”
 
Rather than waiting to see what might happen, InuYasha scooped Kagome up and leaped over the approaching mob. He ran straight to where Kaede was.
 
“Old woman, it's been nice knowing you, but it's time for us to go!” InuYasha exclaimed, setting Kagome on her feet long enough for her to hug the old miko goodbye.
 
Kaede surprised the hanyou by pulling him against her and embracing him when Kagome let go. “It has been my honor to know you, InuYasha, Kagome. May you be healthy and prosperous in the future. I will miss you.”
 
The mob was growing and getting louder as it stumbled in their direction.
 
“We have to go,” InuYasha said. “I'll miss you, too, Kaede. You've been kind to me when no one else was. I'll always remember you.”
 
“I am so sorry you are leaving under these circumstances. Are you sure…” Kaede started.
 
“Now's as good a time as any. We won't be back. If you see my brother, tell him we'll see him in the future - about five hundred years.”
 
“Aye, I will relay the message. They are growing closer. I will stop them here and try to reason with them. I knew all that sake was a bad idea,” the old miko said sadly.
 
Kagome gave her one last hug before InuYasha swung her on his back. “Goodbye, Kaede. I love you, and I'll miss you. You took care of me when I first fell through the well and helped me ever since. I'll never forget you.”
 
The old miko wiped away a tear and she watched him leap away, with the young miko clinging to his back, before she turned to face the oncoming mob.
 
 
Kagome was practically bawling against InuYasha's back when he landed in the well on the other side. He jumped out lightly to land on the well house floor and gently set her on her feet before turning around and pulling her to him. Even though he had nightmares about it, the hanyou had never dreamed that they would really be forced to leave under these kinds of circumstances. He had expected there to be lingering farewells on the other side before he was finally forced to jump through just in time to turn human in the future. InuYasha did not expect his nightmare to come true and have a human mob come after the two of them. He also knew then that he had made the right decision. While it may not be one hundred percent safe in her time, it was still far better than worrying about people you'd helped numerous times turning on you in a heartbeat. The hanyou had suffered with it all of his life for what he was; he did not want his mate and wife to suffer as well because she chose to be with him. He also knew it would never have been safe for them to have pups in his time. As word spread of the hanyou mated to the miko, they would have become hunted by both humans and demons.
 
“I'm sorry, Kagome. I didn't want it to be like this, not ever, for you,” InuYasha said softly as he rubbed her back.
 
The miko looked up at him with a tear stained face. “I never thought - I mean, after all of the things you've done for them. How could they behave that way? And I know at least some in that mob at least suspected we were together, but they have never said anything. Do you think Shippou will be safe there?”
 
“Keh, he'll be fine. They aren't afraid of him and just think he's cute. Besides, he can always go to Sesshomaru if he really needs to. The liquor will wear off and things will go back to normal. However, we're not going back, Kagome. I'm not going to take a chance on anything happening to you. As far as I'm concerned, the well can seal now because we're here to stay,” he said with conviction.
 
Kagome wept against his chest at the thought she was never going to see them again. She thought she would have nearly two more weeks with her friends before they were forced to leave.
 
InuYasha rubbed her back helplessly. It seemed like cry was all she did lately. When her sobs slowed down and had turned into hiccups instead, he finally scooped her back up in front of him to take her inside. Maybe her mother would be able to help. The hanyou sighed as he headed for the door.
 
 
It was late when InuYasha carried Kagome into the darkened house. He didn't want to wake anyone up, but he thought maybe if they went to the kitchen and had some tea first, the miko in his arms would settle down some. He was secretly hoping her mother might still be up and come see what was going on.
 
The hanyou wasn't disappointed. The sounds he heard upon entering the home were of Mama in the kitchen. He stopped long enough for Kagome to kick her shoes off before he carried her in there.
 
Mama gasped when she turned to see InuYasha carrying her daughter, whose eyes were puffy and red along with her cheeks. “What happened? Is she hurt?”
 
“Not physically,” InuYasha said quietly. “We were pretty much chased out of the village. We won't be going back.”
 
“I don't understand,” Mama said as InuYasha sat in the chair she had pulled out, with Kagome still in his arms.
 
The hanyou settled her in his lap as he replied, “Neither does she. It's hard for her to understand how the humans from my time are. It doesn't matter how many times I've tried to help them, they're still afraid of me.”
 
“But what happened?” she asked again.
 
Kagome lifted her head. “He tried to warn me, but I didn't really believe it. I kissed him, and they came after us.” Kagome gasped. “Oh no! I left the san san kudo set behind! Jii-chan will kill me; I promised I would bring it back.” With that, she buried her head against InuYasha's chest and burst into a fresh round of tears.
 
The hanyou looked helplessly at her mother while he rubbed her back. As far as he was concerned, that damned sake set was staying there since it caused the whole damn mess.
 
Mama reached over to rub her daughter's head. “Kagome, under the circumstances, I'm certain he will understand. I'll make us some tea, all right?”
 
InuYasha nodded as he rocked his mate in his arms. It killed him to see her so distraught.
 
 
They sat in silence while Mama brewed the tea. When it was ready, she placed two cups in front of InuYasha since Kagome had not yet left his lap. It was going to be a long night.
 
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
 
Miroku woke with one hell of a headache the next morning. He didn't want to open his eyes because now he was sure it was all a dream. He had not married Sango, and he just knew that cloth wrapped around his hand was protecting the world from his kazaana. He knew it had to have been too good to be true.
 
When he finally opened his eyes, it was to find bright green ones looking back at him and that the cloth wrapped around his hand was just the blanket. “Shippou? Where am I?”
 
“You're in your hut. You got drunk last night, so InuYasha brought you home,” the kit replied.
 
A grin slowly started to cross the monk's face. “You mean it happened? I really married Sango?”
 
The woman in question suddenly towered over him. He was taken aback by the glare on her face. “My lovely Sango…” he started.
 
“Don't `my lovely Sango' me! It's your fault we didn't have a wedding night, and it's your fault InuYasha and Kagome are gone for good already!” she exclaimed. “Why did you have to drink so much last night?”
 
Miroku processed what she said and suddenly bolted upright. “What do you mean, they're gone for good?”
 
“I mean that mob got drunk on the sake in celebration of our wedding and then one of them saw them kiss. They came after them, so InuYasha took Kagome and fled. He stopped long enough to tell Kaede that they would not be back. After what happened, I can't say that I blame him,” she bit out. “It wouldn't have happened if everyone hadn't gotten so drunk. I thought I would be able to spend a least a little more time with Kagome, but she went home forever. On top of all that, you were passed out and couldn't even help! Kaede had to handle that mob all by herself!”
 
“Is she all right?” Miroku asked. He knew drunken mobs could lose all reason and go after anyone who stood up to them.
 
“She's a little bruised. One of them got mad that she would not clear the path and hurled a rock at her. The only good thing was that suddenly woke everyone up and made them realize what they were doing. They broke up and returned to their homes afterwards. I told Kaede that you would be helping to clean up the mess today. It is the least you can do under the circumstances,” Sango said.
 
Miroku sighed. “I am sorry, Sango. I was so happy that you were finally marrying me that I got carried away. I did not mean to ruin everything. I hope InuYasha and Kagome can forgive me. I hope that you can, too.”
 
Sango's face softened just a little. “Maybe that's why Kagome said only the immediate family attends the weddings in her time. Though she did say the party the village threw afterwards was a lot like the idea of the reception in her era, where people tend to drink too much. However, they don't try to run people out of town. Apparently, they get drunk and start singing. I wish it could have been more like that here.”
 
“As do I, my lovely wife. I promise, I will try to find a way to make it up to you,” Miroku said.
 
The slayer nodded in understanding. “Well, for now, there's some stew over the fire. Grab yourself a bowl and then you can get out there and help Kaede. I think she will put anyone that comes out of their hut to work to get everything back in place. The sooner things are back to normal, the better.”
 
Miroku nodded, and slowly got up to get a bowl of the simmering stew.
 
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
 
Kagome had eventually cried herself out the night before. However, she still hadn't spoken more than a “thank you” for her breakfast. Fortunately, Mama had waited until Souta was off to school, and Jii-chan out in the shrine, before she came to rouse them from their bed. It didn't appear that InuYasha had slept at all, but had instead stayed awake the night to try and soothe her daughter. He could say he didn't need sleep like puny humans all he wanted to - he still looked tired. On top of that, he looked worried.
 
When the hanyou carried the miko back up to bed after breakfast, Mama went and picked up the phone. “They're already here. They were chased out of the village by a drunken mob, and Kagome is heartbroken because they can't go back. I don't know what to do.”
 
InuYasha had told her the entire story last night. She'd practically had to drag it out of him, but she knew the details before she'd left their room. She'd gone up to help InuYasha put Kagome to bed after she fell asleep in his arms.
 
“Sesshomaru? Honey?” Rin called after she placed the phone back on its receiver. “We need to go to Tokyo.”
 
“What?” he asked. “What happened?”
 
Rin relayed everything that Mama had told her, including how upset Kagome was. She was hoping that if they dropped in for a visit and took a certain youkai with them, they might be able to cheer her up. The last thing they needed was for the miko to fall into a state of depression.
 
“I was hoping to hold off her seeing them until the engagement party,” Sesshomaru responded.
 
“It might be the only thing to help get her out of the funk she's in. She isn't dealing with it very well. She knew she would have to come back, but did not expect those circumstances,” Rin told him. “I think seeing someone she knows and loves will help her. If it does, then we can bring up the engagement party.”
 
“You probably know best when it comes to humans. Go ahead and make the arrangements,” the Taiyoukai said with a sigh. Human women and their emotions just confused him, even to this day.
 
Rin picked the phone back up and punched a number on the speed dial. “Hi there! Are you ready for a trip to Tokyo?”
 
“Really? Is it time?” the voice eagerly asked.
 
“It is earlier than we planned, but Kagome is really upset about what happened the last night they were there. I hope that seeing you will help her,” Rin replied.
 
“Can my mate come, too?”
 
“Yes, bring her along. I think if she sees you all grown up with a mate of your own it will help to cheer her up. I'll have a room waiting for you at the Hotel Okura. We'll be there by tonight, and I'll have her and InuYasha brought from the shrine tomorrow for lunch, all right?”
 
“Works for me!” the voice said enthusiastically. “I can't wait to see her again!”
 
“We will see you in Tokyo, then,” Rin said.
 
“We'll catch the first flight and see you there.” Shippou hung up the phone and called out for his mate, “Akane, it's time! We're going to Tokyo. You'll finally be able to meet InuYasha and Kagome!”
 
A beautiful vixen popped out of the kitchen. “You mean it? The legendary ones that you were always telling me about? They're here now?”
 
Shippou nodded. “That evening they were forced back to the future happened last night. Kagome's really upset. Rin is hoping that seeing us will help cheer her up.”
 
“But she doesn't know me,” Akane said, puzzled.
 
“No, but one of the last things she told me was that she was certain there was a beautiful girl somewhere just for me. I want her to see that she was right.” Shippou grinned and a pop was heard as he suddenly appeared as the equivalent of a seven year old as he was back then. “Do you think I should see her like this?”
 
Akane shook her head, smiling. “I think you might frighten her if it appears you have not grown at all in five hundred years. I would let her see you as you really are, tails and all.”
 
“All right. Let's get packing then. They're expecting us in Tokyo by nightfall. I'm glad I'm on a break between tours right now. This couldn't have happened at a better time for me,” Shippou said.
 
“I'll start packing. You try to stay out of trouble, my dear.” Akane laughed as she headed for the bedroom.
 
The grin slid off of Shippou's face. He may have seemed glib, but he was really worried about Kagome. That was a bad scene the night they left, even if everything was back to normal by the next day and everyone in the village was horrified at the realization of what they had done. Picking up the phone, he called his travel agent to make the arrangements.
 
 
 
Kagome slept most of the day away. InuYasha finally slipped away from her to find her grandfather. They still had not informed him that the san san kudo set had been left behind. The hanyou decided that he would go ahead and tell him and let the priest take the brunt of his anger out on him. After all, it was his fault. It would never have happened if he were not hanyou.
 
“Jijii?” InuYasha said as he approached the old man from behind. “Can I talk to you?”
 
“Would you help me move this?” he asked in response.
 
InuYasha nodded and easily picked up the large urn. “Where to?”
 
“Over here, I think,” Jii-chan said as he pointed to where it wanted it set down. “Now, what is it?”
 
InuYasha set the pot down and turned to face him. “I'm sorry. Your sake set was left behind when we came back. It wasn't Kagome's fault. If you want to get mad, blame me, not her.”
 
He was surprised when the old man chuckled. “I already had figured that out, Son. Under the circumstances, I really didn't expect see it again. But maybe you can do me a favor. Will you see if you can read the scroll that was handed down with it? I've always wondered what it says.”
 
“You… you… you're not mad?” the hanyou asked with surprise.
 
“Kagome's mother told me what happened. It wasn't your fault any more than it was hers. Now, what about my proposition?”
 
InuYasha nodded. “I'll give it a try.”
 
“Good. Now, let's go inside and have some tea, shall we?” Jii-chan said.
 
“Keh.” InuYasha tucked his hands into his sleeves and followed the old man in.
 
 
“Oh good, you're here,” Mama said when InuYasha walked into the kitchen. “Your brother will be in Tokyo tomorrow. He asked that you and Kagome join him for lunch.”
 
“I… I… I don't know if she's up to it,” the hanyou practically whispered.
 
“InuYasha, we've got to do something to cheer her up and stop dwelling on what happened. He's hoping that maybe talking about the engagement party and reception might help. Rin will be with him, and it might help for her to see someone she knew in the past. She can ask questions now, if she wants to.”
 
“All right, we'll go, though she might not be happy about it,” InuYasha told her.
 
“Getting out of the shrine will be good for her. She needs a change of scenery,” Jii-chan offered.
 
“Tomorrow?” InuYasha questioned.
 
“Tomorrow,” Mama confirmed. “He's sending a car for you. He wouldn't take `no' for an answer.”
 
“No, my brother never would,” InuYasha said. “I hope he has something up his sleeve.”
 
Mama set her tea cup down. “It wouldn't surprise me if he did.”
 
`Sesshomaru, what are you planning?' InuYasha thought to himself. `I sure hope it's good. I want my Kagome back.'
 
 
To be continued…
 
 
Akane - deep red