InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Love Handouts ❯ Epilogue ( Chapter 20 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Blanket Disclaimer: I don't own InuYasha or any of the characters therein. They are the property of Rumiko Takahashi, and she does a beautiful job!
A/N: Please forgive any spelling and grammatical errors.
Love Handouts
Epilogue
The truth of the matter was that all things happen for a reason. The doubt and the anger. The love and the hate. The irrationality and the reason. They all fit into the bigger scheme of things, he could see that now.
He opened his amber orbs to the first glances of daybreak. The small traces of sun leaking over him. He took in a deep breath and immediately relished in the smell. It was his favorite. He's heard Kagome say that she loved the smell of vanilla and her mothers cooking, the smell of clean linens and cologne, but this smell outweighed all others.
It was a smell unique in its own right, for there was only one place it could be found. It didn't matter if they were in her time or his own; this scent had only one location.
He heard Kagomes' breathing alter as she let out a big yawn, “morning,” came her voice sleepily.
He couldn't help but smile, “morning wench,” he replied quietly, not wanting her to hear him.
She shifted around to face him, “I know you heard me,” she said with an arch of her brow, challenging him to deny it.
He just looked at her, his ocher eyes clear, his face not giving anything away.
A smile came to her face, “You're cute when you try to act like you don't know what I'm talking about.”
He hardened his eyes at her playfully, “who's to say I'm acting?” he challenged with a smirk on his face.
She rolled her eyes, “uh huh.”
She tried to pull away from him, “where are you going?” He rushed out, he hated when she left.
Out of the corner of his eye he caught the bright twinkle coming from her hand. It was her ring. It was a tradition that he thought they should uphold. He wanted what was best for her, and what was best for her made him happy as well.
“I'm going to check on Maiko.”
He turned his ear to the other room, listening for any sounds. All he could hear was the steady heartbeat and constant breathing humbly in the next room, “still sleeping,” he replied as he pulled her back to him.
“InuYasha,” she whined playfully.
“How often do we get to do this anymore?” He asked as he began to nibble on her ear.
A moan welcomed him, “not now,” she breathed out huskily.
Ignoring her protests, he began to travel to her neck, leaving little nips and wet marks as he moved down her body.
She arched her back off the bed. He could smell it - the sweetest smell, his Kagome. It was nice to be able to call her that after everything they've been through. All the crap they made.
She ran her hands over his back, “Oh Yash.”
He chuckled to himself. That was all she was going to be able to get out with her senses in overdrive.
He slid down her tank top strap over her shoulder. He leaned down and took a big whiff between her collar bone and neck. That's where her smell was the strongest, and that was also the place where he marked her four years ago. It was crazy how time flies. They never thought they would be able to defeat Naraku, but here they were, in their house, Kagome as his wife, actually enjoying life and -
A small whine came into the air.
Kagome took in a deep breath as InuYasha let his hold on her go, “It's always right when I get you where I want you,” he grumbled.
She let out a small giggle, “oh, poor baby,” she cooed at him.
InuYasha started to get up out of the bed, “I'll go check,” he told her as he got to the door.
Making his way into the other room, he could tell immediately what was wrong. Walking over to the small bed, InuYasha reached in and grabbed his son. His own little boy. As soon as Maiko was in his arms, he stopped crying and looked up at him. The same eyes gazed back at him. Pools of amber. It was almost as if he were staring into a mirror when he was a pup. Maiko had all his features - the furry ears, the fangs, the eyes, even the white silver hair, but he wouldn't have minded what the pup turned out to look like, as long as Kagome was at his side.
He never realized how lucky he was to have her by his side. How wrong it would have been not to be with her after all was said and done, but if's were out of the question. He didn't have to worry about what could have been or anything like that, because what he knew was that he loved Kagome, and Kagome loved him. He would say that life didn't get any better than that, but just as he thought it, Maiko reached up and tugged on his ear.
Bringing his gaze down to him once more, he realized that Maiko completed it. The little pup that he never thought would exist made his life the perfect ending to his tragic beginning, and he would love the pup like he never loved anything ever before.
He would make sure of it.
*
*
*
*
A/N: it's the end!! I hope you guys enjoyed this story. Thanks to everyone that has made this journey with me. You guys are the ones that I finished writing this for, so without you, Love Handouts would still be unfinished.
I hope everyone has had a great holiday/summer, and new work will be out from me soon! Thanks so much!