InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Love, Squared ❯ Chapter 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Inuyasha Fanfic
WARNINGS:Alternate Pairings, language, adult situations.
Summary: It is impossible to control the direction one's heart chooses to move in. Is it wrong to care, to love, to long for the companionship or affections of another? We strive from the moment we take our first breath to find our other half, the one person who will make us feel complete. We have no control over who we are destined to love.
Inuyasha Original Japanese Version © Takahashi Rumiko Shonen Sunday Sunrise Studios
All Fanfics created by Chiruken (me) were written for the sole purpose of shared entertainment and not intended for publication or sale.
 
Love, Squared
By: Chiruken
Chapter 2
 
He leaned back against the rough bark of the large tree, resting his shakujou against his shoulder and folding his arms across his chest, tucking his hands inside the voluminous sleeves of his kimono. Bowing his head, he stared at the blades of grass, watching the dappled shadows chasing each other across the ground before him. He ignored the various aches plaguing him and chose instead to try to enjoy the peacefulness of the afternoon. A light breeze stirred the branches above him, the leaves whispering against each other as a few fell in slow, lazy circles to land in his lap.
 
Despite his best efforts, he found that he just couldn't clear his mind. It had been a week…a whole week!...since Kagome had been forced to return to her own time to recover from the injuries she'd sustained during a rather vicious battle against an enraged yacho youkai. Normally it would have been relatively easy to dispatch the creature, but unfortunately this particular boar demon had possession of ten…”Ten!” he muttered incredulously under his breath as he shook his head in continued disbelief…Shikon shards making it into a very formidable opponent. The presence of the shards effectively prevented him from using his Kazaana, the enhanced speed and size of the youkai had rendered Hiraikotsu virtually useless…each swipe of the taijiya's weapon had seemed to merely annoy the creature rather than harm it. Perhaps the most disturbing aspect had been the yacho's surprising intelligence. It had immediately perceived the possible threat from Tessaiga and had taken measures to incapacitate the hanyou's weapon by holding Kagome as a hostage of sorts. He raised a hand and rubbed at his temples tiredly. Most battles were easily settled with Inuyasha's brawn or Sango's Hiraikotsu. The battle with the boar demon had not been one of those. In the end, it had taken all of his Ofuda simultaneously charged with his Houriki as well as Kagome's purifying arrow aimed directly at the beast's heart to defeat the youkai and retrieve the Shikon shards it held.
 
The untimely arrival of the demon had prevented Sango from following through with her plans to speak to Kagome in private. He wasn't certain if he was disappointed…or grateful. It occurred to him…not for the first time…that perhaps he should speak to Inuyasha on the taijiya's behalf. He frowned and rubbed his fingertips across the bridge of his nose. It was a delicate subject…and one he wasn't at all confident he could broach without angering the hanyou. It was unfortunate that Inuyasha's usual reaction to embarrassment was anger and violence. The likely response to what the hanyou would most likely perceive as meddling on his part would be a gratuitous amount of his own blood being spilled followed very closely by voluble profanity that would likely call his parentage and sexual preferences into question. He winced and shook his head emphatically. No, he'd leave well enough alone for the time being…at least until when his body wasn't feeling quite so battered and abused.
 
He was drawn from his musings by the sound of leaves crunching. Looking up he smiled in greeting as Sango approached. “Houshi-sama…” She leaned against the tree he sat beneath, Hiraikotsu strapped to her back. “How are you feeling?” She looked down at him with a slight frown of concern.
 
“As well as can be expected.” He shifted to the side and patted the ground beside him in invitation. After she'd settled herself, the large weapon now placed across her knees, he reached over and poked a finger into her shoulder. He grinned when she turned to him with a look of surprise. “You didn't come out here to inquire after my health, Sango. What's on your mind?”
 
She huffed in annoyance, dark eyes narrowed as she lightly punched his arm…somehow unerringly managing to find one of the myriad of bruises liberally placed over his body. He managed to conceal a wince and merely inclined his head inquisitively, waiting patiently on her response. Tossing her hair over her shoulder she shook her head and pouted. “How do you do that?”
 
He raised his eyebrows, affecting an innocent expression, lips twitching with amusement at her disgruntled look. “Do what?” He asked mildly, thoroughly enjoying her discomfiture.
 
“You know…” She paused and finally sighed. “Read my mind.”
 
“I assure you, my dear Sango…that is one skill I have yet to acquire.” His lips curved upwards into a wicked grin. “Though, such a skill would certainly be a valuable advantage in certain…er…” He paused for a moment, his grin widening as he sent her a practiced heated look, knowing that it would fluster her to no end. “Pastimes.”
 
“Oh I just bet it would. Honestly, Houshi-sama, is that all you think about?” He lifted one eyebrow in silent query causing her to huff indignantly again. “You know, there is more to life than conning some rich landowner out of his fortune or seducing some poor naïve fool into bearing your child.”
 
It was his turn to frown in mild irritation. “I am well aware of that.”
 
“Then why can't you behave for once?” She shifted until she was kneeling beside him, her hands gripping his shoulders as she shook him lightly.
 
He reached up and covered her hands with his own, frown disappearing instantly, and laughed lightly. “But Sango…where would the fun be in that?”
 
For a moment he thought he may have pushed her a bit too far with his teasing when her grip tightened almost painfully on his shoulders, her head bowed and a sound that suspiciously resembled a growl emerging. Slowly her hands moved from their placement against his shoulders until her fingers crept around his neck, tightening just enough to ensure she had his full attention before she looked up. “You, Houshi-sama, are incorrigible!”
 
“Ah, Sango, my dear, life is too short to take seriously all of the time!” He gently removed her hands from their tightening grip against his throat and placed them in her lap instead where her fingers curled into fists against her thighs.
 
She opened her mouth as if to reply but was immediately interrupted by the sudden arrival of their hanyou friend. “Oi! What's the hold up? I thought you wanted to get goin' before the sun got too high.”
 
He quirked an eyebrow and studied her averted face, taking note of the flush that was swiftly rising. “You're leaving?”
 
She cleared her throat and avoided looking at him directly. “Well…Houshi-sama…” She pressed the tips of her fingers together and stared at them intently rather than meeting his curious gaze. “You see…since you were in---“
 
“Just spit it out, woman!” Inuyasha folded his arms across his chest and glared down at him. He blinked in surprise, seeing the now familiar animosity reflected in the golden gaze and not understanding what could have caused it this time. To the best of his knowledge he hadn't done anything to warrant such a look being directed at him. “'Cause you were stupid enough to get yourself banged up and `cause you're just a weak human, you stay here. Sango and I'll go take care of the shards and youkai.”
 
His eyes narrowed in growing pique. He was becoming thoroughly sick of being referred to in such a demeaning manner by the rude and obnoxious hanyou. Planting his shakujou into the soft soil, he stood gracefully and met the hostile gaze directly. “Inuyasha, I am far from being helpless and feeble, thank you very much. I'm just as capable as either you or Sango.” He tried to keep his tone mild, not wishing to further antagonize his hanyou companion.
 
Inuyasha snorted derisively. “Keh!” He folded his arms across his chest in a belligerent stance and bared his fangs briefly. “You're so capable that a few measly bugs send you scurryin' for cover when Naraku shows up.”
 
“Scurrying for…” He bit off the rest of the indignant shout immediately before he could complete the sentence. He took note of the taijiya's conspicuous silence with an inward sigh. “I see.” Stepping back, away from the hanyou, he leaned against the tree and folded his arms over his chest, adopting a deceptively relaxed stance. “Then by all means, don't let this poor, defenseless human…” He placed exaggerated emphasis on the word, narrowed eyes revealing his growing anger and resentment. “Hold you back.”
 
“Don't worry.” Inuyasha smirked. “We won't.” He turned away, wrapping his clawed fingers around the taijiya's upper arm and pulling her away from the tree. “Come on, Sango. Let's go.”
 
Dark eyes filled with wordless apologies sought his. He sighed and shook his head, offering her a small smile and a nod by way of acceptance. He pushed away from the tree and stood straight, holding his shakujou loosely with his right hand, the smooth hardness of the beads of his rosary pressing against his palm. “Inuyasha…” He called softly and waited for the hanyou to turn to him with a look of impatience stamped across his features, ears swiveling in his direction. “I don't know what your problem is, but remember that I am your friend and as such I'll always listen if you have need to unburden yourself of your troubles.” He paused for a moment grinning at the hanyou. “Despite the fact that you're being an utter ass and seriously pissing me off, that will never change.”
 
Sango quickly covered her mouth to hide her growing smile, dark eyes filled with laughter as Inuyasha gaped at him for a moment before releasing her arm and turning back to face him. He crossed his arms over his chest as a reluctant smile curved his lips upwards. “Monk, you never know when to quit.”
 
“No, I don't suppose that I do.” Either the strange tension that had been plaguing his hanyou friend had finally dispersed…or he was about to be in a world of hurt. He wasn't certain which it was, so he continued to watch Inuyasha warily. There were times his temperamental nature led to sudden outbursts of violence, yet he also possessed a remarkable sense of humour. He hoped this was a case of the latter.
 
“Just keep your hands to yourself if Kagome comes back.”
 
He ignored what sounded rather like a possessive threat in the growled beginning of what Inuyasha said and focused instead on the last part of his statement. “What do you mean `if', Inuyasha?” He narrowed his eyes. “What did you do to Kagome-sama this time?” He regretted that he'd been unable to accompany the young woman to the Bone Eater's Well for her last return to her own time. Unfortunately, though the mind had desired to do so, his body had other ideas and had kept him confined to a futon at Kaede's hut while the miko tended to his injuries.
 
“Nothin'! Why do you always assume it's somethin' I did?” His eyes narrowed further in suspicion at the hanyou's defensiveness. “And why are you lookin' at me like that?”
 
“Perhaps you should go and apologize to her before you leave…just to ensure that she does return.”
 
“Keh! Mind your own business, Monk.” Before he could decide if it had been guilt reflected in Inuyasha's golden gaze or anger, the hanyou turned abruptly away and disappeared into the trees.
 
Sango sighed and swung Hiraikotsu around to rest against her back in its customary position. “Houshi-sama…” Kirara transformed to her larger size and the taijiya quickly jumped onto the cat's back. “Don't worry. Kagome-chan will return…she always does.”
 
“Take care, Sango.” He raised his hand in a gesture of farewell as the neko youkai and her passenger took flight, swiftly following in the direction Inuyasha had gone.
 
He settled again at the base of the tree, watching the wispy clouds drift across the brilliant azure backdrop of the sky, enjoying the peacefulness of the afternoon. Shippou had opted to stay in the village to play with the younger children and Kaede was busy doing whatever it was that she usually did during the day. He assumed the old miko was out gathering herbs for use in her healing draughts and poultices.
 
It didn't take long before he became bored with alternately watching the clouds and counting the leaves fluttering to the ground as they fell from the tree he sat beneath. Truthfully, he should have been using the time he had alone for meditating, but his heart just wasn't in it. He ruefully admitted, even if it was only in the privacy of his own thoughts, that meditation had never been one of his favourite pastimes and he only did it when absolutely necessary. He wondered what his companions would say if he were to admit that all those times they'd thought he was meditating by the fire he was actually lost in thoughts that were what many would consider unfit for a man of his station. He chuckled under his breath, leaning his head back and tilting his face up to the warmth of the sun. I never said that I was a `good' monk, now did I? Naturally, if his companions suddenly developed the skill to read his thoughts, he didn't doubt they'd be thoroughly shocked. He winced, realizing that if his private musings were to become public knowledge he could expect swift and quite possibly deadly retribution to descend upon him.
 
He sighed deeply and shook his head. Could he honestly be faulted for having an active imagination? Or for having an appreciation for the…er…many lovely attributes of the exquisite ladies of his acquaintance? Well, one lady, if he were to be honest. He didn't think of Sango as anything other than a very dear friend, almost like a sister if truth be known…and though she was often the target for his roving hands, it could be excused due to their rather unorthodox arrangement.
 
Heaving a heavy sigh of resignation, he finally admitted defeat and stood once again. He was bored and somewhat lonely now that Inuyasha and Sango had departed. He was still annoyed with the hanyou for his less than complimentary comments, but despite this he still preferred his company to being left alone with his thoughts. Too often his thoughts turned dark and dreary, his fate weighing heavily on his mind. He raised his hand and closed it into a fist, staring at the beads intently. Time was running out for him and he knew it. The Kazaana wouldn't stop growing just because he wished for it to be so, nor would it disappear miraculously. He shook his head and allowed his hand to fall to his side again. If truth be known, his hand ached almost constantly now, the pains shooting up his arm to throb in his shoulder. He didn't think it was a good sign, but he was loath to mention it to his companions. They each had their own problems to deal with and he didn't wish to burden them further with his own troubles.
 
Unable to remain still, needing some kind of physical action to still the whirling thoughts swirling through his mind, he began walking. He didn't have a set destination in mind, only knew that if he remained beneath the tree he risked falling further into dark and despairing thoughts. Keeping his eyes on the ground, he gripped the shaft of his shakujou tightly with his left hand, every second step allowing it to connect with the ground to jangle the hoops. The almost melodic sound was comforting, soothing his frazzled nerves. He wandered aimlessly, letting his steps guide him, watching the changes in the earth from soft, springy grass to a well-worn path with ruts back to grass again. His gaze was riveted on the dappled patterns splayed across the ground at his feet caused by the ever shifting breeze waving the leaves of the trees and catching the bright light of the high mid-day sun. He forced all thoughts from his mind, concentrating instead on counting his steps.
 
He was so focused on not thinking that it took a moment for his mind to register what his senses were clamoring to tell him. Looking up, he released his breath on a startled hiss as he found himself staring at the Bone Eater's Well. “What the hell?!” He gritted his teeth and cursed himself and his subconscious. He was so intent on not thinking and avoiding the issues swirling in the back of his mind that he'd unwittingly wandered straight to the one place he least wished to be. “Damn it.” Shaking his head sharply he turned to retrace his steps when the low hum of power from the enchanted well surged, signifying that the time portal had been activated. Whirling around so fast that he nearly over balanced, he stared with mixed feelings at the sudden flash of light emanating from the well. Releasing an explosive expletive he debated his options and discarded fleeing the vicinity immediately as being both cowardly and foolish. He couldn't avoid Kagome forever.
 
Stealing his resolve, he slowly approached the well. A familiar large yellow pack soared out from the depths to land heavily on the grassy ground. A moment later he could see the young woman's hands grip the weather-worn boards just before a dark head emerged into the sunlight. Dark eyes blinked at him owlishly as he reached forward and grasped her arms, pulling her the rest of the way out of the well. “Oh! Miroku-sama!” She smiled brightly and clambered the rest of the way out, stepping away from him the moment her feet touched the safety of the ground.
 
He smiled in greeting, hastily tucking his hands inside his sleeves to prevent himself from reaching for her again and touching her inappropriately. Without Sango there he was without an alternate target. He had a feeling this was going be an exercise in how good his control could be. He suppressed a grimace as he silently admitted that he'd never been very good at it. “You are back sooner than I…er…we anticipated, Kagome-sama.” He mentally cursed his near slip of the tongue.
 
She laughed and shrugged. “Well, despite the way it looked, I wasn't hurt as bad as everyone seemed to think. Just a little bump on the head and a few scrapes and a lot of bruises.” Her expression turned serious. “But what about you? Should you be up? I know you were injured much more severely, Miroku-sama.”
 
He shrugged noncommittally before changing the subject. “Inuyasha and Sango have gone ahead to search for shards.”
 
A small frown flitted across her features for a moment before she smiled brightly again. “Oh, well…then I guess we have a bit of free time on our hands, right?” He expected her to turn around and return to her own time. What he didn't expect, however, was what she said…and did…next. Linking her arm through his she grinned up at him. “Looks like we get to spend some quality time together.”
 
For quite possibly the first time in his adult life he found himself at a loss of words. Staring down into her dark eyes, he found himself thinking, oddly enough, of the sweet confection she'd brought back with her after one of her previous sojourns to her time. Chocolate. He thought fuzzily. Her eyes dark like the chocolate…and sinfully sweet. He swallowed almost audibly as he felt his mouth go dry, her words finally registering in his sluggish mind. “Quality time?” He repeated stupidly, mentally cursing himself and beating his shakujou over his head repeatedly.
 
“Sure.” She released his arm and bent to retrieve her large pack. “We can use the time to get to know each other better.” She grinned at him over her shoulder. “I realized, while I was at home, that I know next to nothing about you.” She paused before walking backwards, somewhat awkwardly. “I'm deathly curious, too.”
 
“Curious?” Once again, he found his normal eloquence to have deserted him as he merely repeated what she said.
 
“Absolutely.” She nodded as if everything was settled. She turned away and peered into the forest for a moment. “Hmm…” She tilted her head to the side in contemplation. “I think I sense a shard that way, Miroku-sama.” She pointed towards the darker part of Inuyasha's Forest.
 
He shifted, uncomfortably aware that, in all honesty, he was in no condition to be fighting off a shard-empowered youkai at the moment. “Kagome-sama…” He began, only to be interrupted before he could finish.
 
“We can tell Inuyasha later…when he gets back.” With that, she turned back to him, grabbed his arm, and began dragging him towards Kaede's village.