InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Mating Season ❯ Warm Reception ( Chapter 53 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Blanket Disclaimer:

Inuyasha, and the characters therein, are the property of Rumiko Takahashi. I am in no way affiliated with Takahashi, or VIZ Productions.


========================






Chapter 53 - Warm Reception




A gentle breeze started to pick up, as additional family members, as well as friends, all gathered in the immediate area around the Goshinboku. The nuptial table was set directly before the sacred tree, with several guest tables scattered about in a semicircle. Some of Kagome’s other school friends, more associates really, who had attended her birthday party, had arrived along with their parents. The parents of her closest three friends had appeared as well, as well as the parents of their dates. Her mother’s friends and her mother’s friends’ children were present, as well as several of Souta’s school friends, including Hitomi, along with accompanying adults. Hopefully nobody would notice that Inuyasha had nobody arriving from his family side.

Considering there was no one appointed as nakodo (matchmaker) at this particular ceremony, Jii-chan took it upon himself as the shrine’s elder, as well as a loving grandfather, to make the first speech. Everyone who had already sat down immediately stood back up, everyone picking up their cups of sake, ready to listen to the old man. Inuyasha gulped audibly.

“Most of you know me, and as such, I’m sure most of you know what a stickler I am for tradition.” There were a few mild chuckles from the crowd, and he continued. “When my only granddaughter had first told me of how she’d met this boy, I didn’t want to listen. Half of me didn’t want to believe her, while the other half already knew it must be true. Then the young man in question barged into our kitchen, worried for Kagome’s safety because of how she’d hastily taken off, and wanting to make sure she was okay.” It was sort of true, and it earned a series of awww’s from the crowd.

“Despite my better judgment, I didn’t forbid her from seeing him, though I’d attempted to scare him off myself a few times.” More chuckles. “It didn’t work, as you can plainly see, and for that, I am grateful. This boy, this man, is part of my granddaughter’s karma, her destiny, and I was as much a slave of fate as the rest of us. I could see how they cared for each other, even before they could see it themselves. Deep in my soul, I always knew this day would come. I will not shed tears over losing my only granddaughter, for I know she could have found no better keeper.” He then turned toward the couple themselves, and since everyone pretty much knew that Kagome would be “moving away” he felt he could get away with his last words without much question. “Live long and happily, you two, and may we meet again, someday.”

With that he downed his sake, as everyone else followed suit. Kagome had politely turned down additional wine, concerned for the health of her pup, but the excuse given was that she doesn’t normally drink and simply did not wish to over do it. Her sake for toasts was replaced with cider, just like the minors present, and she downed her drink along with everyone else. As the servers scrambled to refill everyone’s glasses, it was then Mrs. Higurashi’s turn to offer a toast.

“I’ve always known my Kagome was special. The day she met Inuyasha I saw her future unfold before my very eyes. I knew they were destined for each other from the moment I saw him, and I knew she could feel it as well. In many ways these two kids have saved each other, healed each other, and completed each other, and now that they have finally recognized it for themselves, I’ve never felt happier, or more proud. This young man has far more honor than this time usually sees, and it is my honor to now call him my son.”

Everyone cheered and downed their drinks, Kagome all the while attempting not to cry, lest she risk smearing her makeup. Her mother’s words, while cryptic, got the point across quite nicely. She hadn’t been worried, as Inuyasha had, regarding the words spoken in the toasts, afraid of what they may or may not reveal. She knew better than to think her family would let such an important secret slip in such a public affair. While there were certain things she was sure they ordinarily would have said, that had to be held back under the circumstances, she knew that every word spoken had been the truth.

She was just getting her moistening eyes under control when the man at her side surprised her by raising his own glass. Inuyasha was going to say a toast? Now she was worried.

“Since we didn’t exchange vows during the wedding, I’ve got a few things I’d like to say now, if you don’t mind.” The hush that proceeded was deafeningly pronounced, as everyone grew deathly quiet to hear what the groom had to say.

“Kagome…” he began, ignoring everyone around him as he gazed into her chocolate pools, “I know I haven’t always been able to say or do the right thing, but I’ve been getting better at that lately, thanks to you.” She smiled, understanding his hidden meaning.

“When we first met, I know I acted like a baka most of the time. I was cruel, and rude, and what was that you always called me? Oh yeah, a jerk.” Some people chuckled, including Kagome.

“But as I’m sure you’ve realized by now, that was all just a front. The truth was, I was scared. Not of you, but of what you made me feel. I’d been hurt, this you know, and as a result, I’d built a wall around my heart so tough, even I couldn’t break it. I thought nobody could, but I was wrong. Slowly, day by day, week by week, you chiseled away at my defenses, causing me to slip up and reveal the soft side I’d tried desperately to deny even existed. I don’t know what it was about you that enabled you to see right through me like you did, but you must have been blessed with the patience of the kami to put up with me for as long as you have.”

Despite her resolve, Kagome failed to prevent a few tears from slipping past the boundaries of her lashes. That was okay, she decided, since it would be time for her to change pretty soon anyway. Coming to that conclusion, she held back no longer, and let them fall freely, as her mate continued.

“I’ve always prided myself with keeping my promises, but there’s one promise you made me break that I thank the gods for every day.” She was pretty sure he was referring to Kikyou, so she was surprised by his next words. “I had promised myself that I would never love again.” She gasped. “After everything that happened, I had said no more, that was it, no more chances. When we met, I swore I would never allow myself to love you, because I was convinced I would only be hurt again if I did.” He gazed down lovingly at her. “How wrong I was. Admitting that I loved you was the best decision, the first smart decision, I’d ever made.” That earned a few more awwww’s from their audience.

“I love you, my wife. I have no clue what I ever did to deserve your love in return, but I pray everyday that you never come to your senses.” She chuckled. “I promise to be the best husband I know how to be, and to love you for the rest of my life, and beyond. There will never be room for anyone other than you in my heart, except, of course, for our children.”

He leaned forward then, and ignoring her makeup, which was mostly ruined by that point anyway, he pressed his lips to hers, and kissed her right there in front of the entire reception. They only pulled apart when the sounds of clapping and cheers seeped into their conscious minds, reminding them that they were in fact not alone.

Everyone chuckled when the happy couple pulled apart, revealing Inuyasha’s red lipstick. He was quick to wipe it off with the back of his hand, while muttering feh and offering Kagome a sheepish smiled. She smiled as well, then shook her head, chuckled, and smiled again. Then, she raised her own glass.

“We were wrong when we said there was no nakodo present…” she began, addressing the guests, “For there is our matchmaker, standing proudly behind us.” She gestured towards the Goshinboku. “If that tree could talk, I’m sure its words would be somewhere along the lines of ‘It’s about time!’” and everyone chuckled, including Kagome.

She then turned back towards Inuyasha, and continued.

“I can’t even begin to describe the amount of love I feel for you.” she said in all seriousness, no hint of hesitation present in her voice. “At times it seems, we come from two different worlds…” she phrased skillfully, “Yet we are two halves of the same being. Night and day. Yin and Yang. One cannot flourish without the contrast of the other.” At that point, her advanced hearing picked up a few scattered mumbles from the crowd, mostly from those who had whispered to their respective partner how much they agreed with her, or how wise they thought this “young one” to be. Ignoring their voices, she focused her aura dead ahead, as she concentrated on nothing but Inuyasha as she said her next words.

“You complete me. You fill the void I hadn’t even known was present until I saw you and realized all that I was lacking. My soul has waited centuries for this moment, to be here with you, like this. You are what drives me. You are my soul mate. You are the food I eat, and the very air I breathe. I would gladly give my life to save yours, for without you, I truly would have no life.” A single tear slid down his own cheek, touched by the deeper, literal meaning of the words Kagome had spoken only for him.

“I love you, my husband, and I pray every day that should this truly be a dream, that I shall never awaken. I promise to be the best wife within my ability to be. My love for you will only continue to grow with each passing day, just as our home will continue to grow throughout the years, filled with the laughter of our children. I offer you my loyalty, my devotion, and my very essence. I am yours to keep, just as you are mine, and through our bond, we shall never be apart.”

When Kagome drank, everyone shouted “Bonzai!” and followed suit, except for Inuyasha, who was too busy being mesmerized over her loving words. With the speeches concluded, some guests started to sit while others mingled friendlily amongst the peaceful aura that the day had brought forth. Mrs. Higurashi then took it upon herself to whisper in a hush she knew the two would be able to hear that it was time for Kagome to change clothes, and coming to their senses, the happy couple politely excused themselves just for that purpose.  

They were stopped as they neared the house, though, by none other than the priest who had wed them. The two priestesses, Kagome noticed, were apparently deep in conversation with her grandfather. An unsettling feeling came over her, then, which suddenly doubled when the priest asked to speak to Kagome alone for a moment.

“Uhh, sure…” she answered while attempting to convey nonchalance, “Why don’t you go ahead and change, sweetie…” she said toward her mate, while projecting that he needn’t worry, because she would be fine.

“Keh.”

The priest waited for an inordinately long amount of time before he spoke next, but as soon as he did, Kagome instantly realized that the pause was likely to be sure that Inuyasha was out of hearing range.

“I know what you are, and as such, I know you know what he is.”

Kagome gasped, shocked that this priest - though she’d suspected he’d suspected them - had actually come out and said anything about it.

“At ease miko…” his voice soothed next, as he continued, a smile, for the first time, present upon his lips. “I sense no malice in him, he is truly one of the good ones.”

“One of the good ones?” she echoed, confusion apparent in her gaze. The priest chuckled.

“There are many evils in this world, my child.” he started, unaware of Kagome’s intimate knowledge on the subject. “Though this day and age, most youkai just want to be left alone. It is unusual that he would have ever allowed himself to be as close to you as he has, considering...” He trailed off, obviously referring to her powers of purification.

She caught on quickly, though, realizing that he had no idea about the well, and thought that Inuyasha was from their time. So…apparently youkai did still exist after all, but simply in hiding. Only the trained priests and miko of her time were apparently aware of their presence. Confessing only what he already knew, then, she answered with “I was not raised to be a miko, and was unaware of my powers until after the two of us had already met. Considering that the general public is unaware of who walks among us…” She paused, secretly relieved at his nod…it was a safe guess after all, “…I held no prejudice for his kind,” she continued, “and eventually, the two of us simply realized that we were meant to be together. End of story.”

The priest laughed softly, genuinely, and said “And what a good story it is. True love is such a rare commodity in this world. I can sense that you two are blood-bonded, a youkai tradition rarely done in this age as well. May the kami bless this union, as I have.”

Kagome smiled at the kindness she could feel radiating from the man before her. She could tell that he had been raised with his eyes open, unlike many of the priests from the feudal era. If youkai had indeed survived to her time, as appeared to be the case, then surely logic alone dictated that some of them were evil. After everything she’d seen in the last three years, she would believe that in a heartbeat, and as such, people with his training were quite necessary, she was certain. But she was relieved, overjoyed even, to learn that he had been taught that not all youkai were evil. In a way, they too were living in secret, the priests and miko of her time, whose powers the world believed did not exist. They were there, should they be needed, but did not appear to interfere otherwise. The ideal word that Kagome found came to mind was Watchers. They were the Watchers.

And speaking of watching, both the priest and Kagome had been so caught up with their conversation that they each failed to notice the intent gaze they were receiving from across the shrine grounds. Mrs. Higurashi shrugged off her concerns after a moment, though, when she saw her daughter’s reassuring smile, and knew that whatever it was the priest had wanted, all was well.

Having said what he’d wanted to say, offering his personal blessing in privacy, the priest then dismissed Kagome to her dressing. It was tradition, after all, that the bride appear in several changes of clothing throughout the reception, and everyone was eagerly awaiting her to do so, so that they could have some cake!

Staggering up the steps to her room, she was more than ready to strip out of her heavy kimono. While it was true that she possessed youkai blood, she grumbled that even a pure youkai would have tired under the weight of that getup. Upon opening the door to her room she spotted her mate sitting patiently upon the bed, obviously awaiting her arrival. The smirk on his face revealed the fact that he knew she’d be needing his assistance with the removal of said kimono. While it was tradition that the bride had women assist in her dressing (and undressing) throughout the ceremony and reception, Kagome couldn’t help but to notice how no one, not even her mother, had even offered to accompany her upstairs.

I’m surrounded by hentai minds. she snickered. Or maybe that was only her mind?

Kagome grumbled over the fact that she hadn’t gotten to help her mate as well, as she noted his familiar fire-rat ensemble. Wordlessly, she stood before him, her arms raised at her sides, in the universal signal for “Get this thing off of me!”

Chuckling, Inuyasha approached her, and quickly took the first, heaviest robe from her person, laying it upon the bed before working on the knots of the obi cinching closed her next layer of clothing. She wouldn’t have even needed to tell him to be careful of his claws, were the talons not currently short and blunted, for Kagome could instantly recognize the gentle care with which he handled her garments. He knew, after all, that they had been her mother’s.

“What did the priest want?” he asked cautiously, as he slipped yet another layer down her shoulders.

“Oh you’re not going to believe this.” she blurted, but the nervousness she had started to feel in her mate at her words died away quickly when he registered her playful laugh.

“What happened?” he asked, his voice now filled with curious amusement.

“He knows very well what we both are, though he doesn’t know about the time slip, thank kami…” She paused, allowing this bit of information to sink in so far.

Inuyasha nodded, not as surprised as Kagome thought he would have been, then asked “And?”

“And…” she continued, nodding, “He gave us his blessing, his personal blessing, saying that you were ‘one of the good ones’ because there is still a lot of evil out there, I guess.”

“I’ve never sensed any youkai from your time, besides that mask I killed.” he muttered, figuring that it likely meant the ones still alive were either few and far between, or had found ways to hide themselves.

“I have…” Kagome realized aloud, as an old memory came to her. “Remember that little girl poltergeist?” she asked, “The sister of one of Souta’s friends that died in a fire?”

Inuyasha nodded, eyes widening in rememberance. “Oh yeah...I remember that. I was amazed that you had actually calmed her spirit. And you’re right, there was a youkai involved, that ‘soul piper’ guy.”

“And if he’s still around, then certainly others have survived ‘till this time, too. After all, aren’t most youkai supposed to be immortal?”

“Sort of.” he nodded his agreement, “Seems that way after thousands of years.”

Pulling the last restraint from her hair, he fanned his hands through it from behind, as he relished in the way it cascaded down her back. She was still dressed in her under most yukata, but she would soon be shedding that, as well. Her under wrappings were simply too uncomfortable.

Turning around to face her again, Inuyasha chuckled.

“You really need to wash your face.”

“I bet I look like a freaky melted doll or something.” Kagome giggled as she made her way to the mirror. “Nope, just a sad mime, okay I’m gonna go wash.”

She chuckled all the way down the hall, leaving Inuyasha to wonder What’s a mime?

When she reappeared not five minutes later, she was Kagome again, and he relished in the way her unhindered complexion darkened in a furious blush at the way he waggled his eyebrows at her opened robe. Regardless of her nervousness, which was really only in regard to her fear that he would want to try something while they were far from being alone, she continued to undress herself in his presence. Inuyasha was a good boy, though, and aside from a few slick comments, he minded his manners, as he helped his wife into her Western style wedding dress.

Ordinarily, she would have first changed into a brightly colored kimono, but one: she’d had enough of those types of kimono for one day. Two: the reception was being held at the same location as the wedding itself, thus all guests present had already seen her in her wedding kimono, eliminating the “arriving” aspect of showing up in another form of traditional native wear. Three: the reception was to be relatively short, and she honestly didn’t feel like she’d have enough time to change into four different outfits. Four, and most importantly: Jii-chan had said it was okay to skip it.

Standing before her mate in modern panties, with a set of pasties glued to her chest, she gleefully stepped into her wedding dress as he assisted in shimmying it up her hips.

The gown was breathtaking.

It had a strapless bodice that fitted her form flawlessly, her full figure assisting in giving the front a cute, heart shaped appearance, as it dipped in the center ever so slightly. The jewel was quite visible in its place around her neck, but she decided to go with it, knowing she could protect it if need be. The jewel, in its purity, actually complimented her outfit quite nicely. The entire dress was a pearly satin, and the bodice was adorned with intricate beadwork that succeeded in accenting her shape even further. The high waist tapered at the skirt, an under layer of tulle petals puffing out in all directions, giving it a much fuller appearance. Even Souta had loved the dress when he’d seen it, saying that all Kagome needed to go with it was a set of sheer fairy wings. The bodice swooped low in the back, giving off a larger view of skin, and quickly wrapping her hair back up into a quick and tidy bun, Kagome couldn’t help but to feel a set of amber eyes boring into her as she set her hair with a pair of golden chopsticks saved over from her previous collection hair ornaments.

Her making mark was visible, but she’d know it would be, and didn’t care. She’d contemplated putting concealer makeup over it, but had decided against it. Nobody would really know what it meant, and she was sure nobody would comment on her scar otherwise, for that would just be rude. Considering the only people present who would recognize the mark for what it was already knew they had performed the blood-bond, she decided that she really didn’t need to hide it then. She had purchased a pair of elbow length gloves to go with the gown, to conceal the scar on her inner wrist, but when she sensed how her mate got depressed at seeing them, she decided to leave those off, as well. He wanted to be able to hold her hand, he said, and feel her skin underneath his own. How do you say no to something like that?

A pair of modern high heals were by the front door waiting for her, but as she prepared to head down, she caught a jerk of movement out of the corner of her eye.

“What’s the matter?” she asked in a smooth, caring tone. She’d caught Inuyasha shaking his head, the way a dog might do if they had a weed in their ear.

“Nothing.” he answered choppily, but she took no offense, instead softening her gaze even more as she asked…

“Are your ears bothering you?”

In the past, she knew he would have merely feh’d, and snapped that he was fine, and marched out the door ordering her to hurry the hell up. But things had certainly changed over the last year they’d been together. Instead of hardening his resolve, ensuring his mask was securely in place, upon hearing her words he immediately let down all defenses, as he gazed at her with “puppy” eyes, while whimpering softly.

The next thing Inuyasha knew, he was sitting on the edge of her bed, feet planted firmly upon the floor, as she kneeled upon the bed behind him, legs tucked underneath her immense flowing skirt, as she delicately plucked pin after pin from his hair.

“But they’re waiting on us…” he tried to argue, but was shushed when he heard her utter

“They can wait.”

He never got over how quickly Kagome could block out the entire world around them, focusing solely on her partner, and nothing else. He thought he was the only one who did that.  

Maybe they both should have kept their senses on alert.

“Kagome? Your mother was wonder…ing…” Eri trailed off dead in her tracks, as she stared blankly at the two furry ears Kagome was currently massaging.

All three stayed stone still, save for blinking. Kagome and Inuyasha could hardly distinguish the pounding of her friend’s heart, what with the pounding of their own.

Slowly, gradually, thought process found it’s way back to each of them.

Eri was thinking I knew he was different, but I never imagined THIS!

Kagome was thinking Why didn’t Mama come up herself?! Dammit! Now what?

Inuyasha was simply thinking Fuck!

Kagome was the first to speak, comically remaining perfectly still as she did so, still on her knees behind him, hands each still gently cupping a furry triangle.

“You said Mama wanted something?” she asked, and as soon as the words registered, Eri snapped back into reality, and quickly responded…

“Huh? Oh, yeah! Um…you were just taking a long time, but I guess I see why…”

At that point, Inuyasha stood up, careful not to dislodge his mate so quickly that she would lose her balance. He noticed Eri studying his ears intently, and almost laughed at the way her eyes bugged when he twitched them, turning each one forward to focus completely on her.

“You can’t tell anyone.” he stated calmly, seriously.

“I…of course not.” she answered honestly, shaking her head. “I just…wow…” Getting her bearings, she took a step forward, and said the first thing that popped into her mind.

“You are a dog!”

He laughed. A full-blown, genuine laugh. It caused Kagome to laugh as well, and his ears turned back, catching the sound. Kagome then noticed something and tapped Inuyasha’s shoulder, nodding her head in Eri’s direction, pointing something out to him. He gazed back at the girl, who had lost all trace of fear, and merely stared with a look of wonder in her eyes, as she continued to study the appendages he always used to hate.

Sighing and rolling his eyes, he glanced back at Kagome, letting her know he understood, as he then turned back towards the girl, dipping his head in her direction.

“Well, go on, go ahead, everybody else does.”

“Huh?” she asked, knowing what he meant, but still being surprised. She glanced at Kagome, who nodded while smiling, and then even mouthed the word “soft” so after that, Eri had no choice.

She curiously yet nervously reached forward, and felt his left ear, discovering Kagome was right; they were soft. She giggled at the way the ear flicked instinctively as her delicate touches tickled the fine hairs, and then mentally chastised herself for giggling like a child.

“You done yet?” he asked, trying to keep the grump out of his voice. While it always aroused him to have Kagome do it, that was greatly due to the fact that he wanted her. Whenever anybody else did it, it was always just…wrong. How would Kagome feel if strangers always wanted to pet a sensitive part of her body? Having to suppress the urge to growl at the random thought - he dared not frighten the girl - he decided to assist her in answering his yet unanswered question, by simply straightening himself back up.

“Sorry.” she mumbled then, and he shrugged while muttering “Keh.”

“How…Why…What…” She was still shaking her head in disbelief.

“You forgot where, when, and who.” Kagome laughed.

“Who…” Eri laughed as well, nodding her head in amused agreement, “Who are you?” She sounded just like the caterpillar from Alice in Wonderland.

“My name is Inuyasha.” he stated calmly.

“So you really are a dog demon?” she asked, even though at that point it was rather obvious.

“Half demon, actually…” the hanyou explained, not nearly as ashamed of that fact as he always used to be.

Suddenly, Inuyasha snapped his head up, startling both women, until Kagome, realizing what he must have sensed, opened her senses as well, and quickly stated “Yuka’s coming.”

“Quick!” Eri whisper-yelled, “I’ll head her off!” and with that, she was out the door, while Inuyasha plastered his ears down as far as they’d go, so in that brief second that Yuka could see into the bedroom before Eri shut the door behind her, the girl saw nothing out of the ordinary.

“Are those two coming back or what?” Yuka asked, thoroughly amused, “That cake is starting to look very tempting.” On cue, her stomach growled.

“Um…” Eri started, but quickly found her resolve. After all, with as good a friend as Kagome had been to her, all things considered, Eri felt she owed her one. “They’re almost ready, Kagome was just having a little trouble with her hair. She just got it finished before you came up. I’m sure they’ll be right down, come on…” And with that, she grabbed Yuka’s arm and lead her down the steps and back outside.

Meanwhile, Kagome had managed to convince Inuyasha that bandanas were not part of traditional Japanese clothing, and vowed to make it up to him later. In what way, she said she’d leave up to his imagination. He didn’t give her any more grief about the bobby-pins after that.

```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````` ``````````

The rest of the afternoon went by rather uneventfully. Once the couple finally reemerged, and cut the cake, the atmosphere quickly morphed into more of a friendly party-type event. Kagome’s mother was overjoyed when her daughter said that she would in fact like to keep the top tier of the cake frozen. Even if she had to wait five hundred years to eat year old cake, she was going to eat that top tier!

Besides cake, there were plenty of buffet foods set up on a far table. Kagome hadn’t wanted anything super fancy, and aside from saving costs, she actually preferred those foods as opposed to “fancier” dishes. There was plenty of sushi on ice, as well as rice balls, bowls of oden, fried wantan, plenty of Chinese dishes including moo goo gai pan, and of course…RAMEM. She couldn’t very well expect poor Inuyasha to sit through an entire meal without a single drop of ramen, now could she? He’d already had to do it once, at Sesshoumaru’s, so she wasn’t about to put the poor dear through something like that again. The time would come much too quickly when he’d have to say his final farewells to the dish, once and for all.

When Kagome disappeared once more to change into her evening gown, one deliberately selected in a vibrant red, to match Inuyasha’s kimono, said hanyou was met briefly by the priest, as he and his miko companions planed to depart. If the priest had recognized the Shikon jewel for what it was, he never mentioned it, instead merely congratulating the boy, and telling him, just as he had Kagome, of how he could sense that the couple truly loved one another, and how he wished them the best.

Inuyasha had thanked him as sincerely as he knew how, and bowing toward one another, the priest and his accompanying shrine maidens made their departure.

Inuyasha was worried at first, but smiled when he realized that Eri wasn’t going to be a problem. The girl wasn’t about to go telling their secrets to anyone, not that he supposed anybody would simply hands down believe a tale like that, anyway. Even Eri must have realized that anyone she attempted to tell would either dismiss it outright, or at the very least, approach Kagome or Inuyasha seeking verification, or proof. That may very well have been at least part of her reasoning for not telling, but it was good enough for him. Inuyasha was just relieved that the girl didn’t smell frightened of him, and as soon as they had a moment to themselves, he and Eri actually had a rather brief heart-to-heart.

He answered her questions the best he could, while making sure to keep the well a secret. If Kagome wanted to reveal the time slip to her friends later, that was her prerogative. After all, he doubted they’d look exactly the same in five hundred years. They were sure to age a little bit during that time, and the pup she was carrying would certainly have aged. So, if her friends ever accidentally saw her later on down the road, the cat would be out of the bag, so to speak, but for the time being, the less they knew, the better.

Once the guests finally started departing, and the event was winding down to a close, Kagome got the rest of her family to hold still for a few family photos that did not include herself in her horrible getup. She knew she would never, ever forget anything, but she wanted the reminders nonetheless. She was going to be spending about another month and a half in her time, as she squeezed in some final visits, and planned some final moving trips with yet even more supplies, but after that, that would be it. There would be no more returning to the present time, except through conventional means.




Converting /tmp/phpUSqNIX to /dev/stdout