InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Meaning of Insanity ❯ Chapter 1

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

*~*~Meaning of Insanity~*~*
 
 
He was insane.
 
At least that was the rumor sweeping the Western Lands, whispered from one traitorous mouth to the next. Never in his presence, as none wished their very lives snatched from their bodies, but when the Lord's back was turned, the accusations flew. When his cold amber eyes were shooting veiled glances at his lovely human ward.
 
Then he could practically hear them.
 
Sesshoumaru knew they were watching him, assessing him, waiting for him to give them a sign that his fascination had finally conquered him. He had never acted on his twisted desires, but somehow they all knew.
 
Maybe he was insane.
 
Even now Rin accompanied him. No longer traveling in his footsteps, but strolling by his side. All glorious features and endless shimmering hair, shooting him the familiar smile that had somehow begun to thaw his non-existent heart. Oblivious to the danger she was in, the danger she presented, she hummed a tune concocted to annoy her precious `Jaken-sama'.
 
What did it mean to be insane?
 
Had it begun when he'd saved her from destruction, not once but twice? Vicious wolves and even the gates of hell hadn't slowed him down.
 
Had his mind started to slip when Rin had grown a woman's tempting curves and a voice to match? Her songs now more allure than annoyance.
 
Had he completed the descent into madness when he had happily dismembered the first youkai that had challenged him? Accused him of his father's weakness.
 
Or had it been the second or third?
 
Rin's adoring gaze pulled him back to the present, and he nearly drowned in her hazel eyes, her sheer beauty swallowing him whole.
 
He was lost.
 
Her carefree spirit dazzled him, would one day force his submission. Of that he had no doubt. She would accomplish what no man, youkai, or heavenly force had been able to. Rin would conquer the Great Lord of the West.
 
And in the moment before he surrendered to that knowledge, he realized that he had discovered the true meaning of insanity:
 
To lose oneself completely, heart and soul, and somehow not give a damn.