InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Mika- the Inu Ookami Hanyou ❯ The Beginning- Part Two ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Beginning: Part II
 
Fall passed into winter and winter into spring. Akane could no longer hide her condition and she knew that the other Wolf demons suspected her imminent delivery. On a harsh late spring night, a storm raged outside her cave as Akane went into labor. On this particular night, Akane was at her most vulnerable in her pure human form. Koga had been called to the cave by one of the attending midwives. “She has asked for you. Make it brief, for she is not long for this world.” His heart jumped into his throat as he heard this horrific news. Tears came to his eyes as he realized his sister's fate and that of her unborn child.
 
He approached her cautiously, not wanting to disturb her sleeping infant that lay in her weak mother's arms. “You've asked for me, Akane?” he inquired in a quiet, loving tone. With a flick of his wrist, the attending midwives moved out of the cave, leaving the two siblings with some privacy.
 
“Koga, I want you to know who the father of this child is. It is Lord Sesshomaru. He doesn't know of her birth. I know that my time here is short and I want you to swear to me that you will take this child to Totosai, the sword smith. As well as one of my fangs and have it carved into the shape of a wolf howling at the new crescent moon. I want you to leave the child with him, and Myoga the flea as well. Have Myoga write the heritage of this child on her shoulder so that when she gets old enough that she will know her lineage of wolf, human, dog and demon.” She gazed up into his loving face, seeing also the uncertainty and confusion at her request.
 
“Why must it be like this? Do you not feel that I could raise this child as my own? Why do I have to do this request that you are asking of me? I don't understand!” he cried. Tears ran down his cheeks as the confusion raced through his mind.
 
After taking a few moments to compile her thoughts, Akane took her brother's hand and replied, “I fear that when he finds out that he has a child with human blood, even just a quarter, that he will try and kill her. She is more powerful that I and gets most of that from him. I fear for the tribe as well as your safety. I know that between the two, that she will be safe and that they will be able to find a way to better protect her. I plead with you in regards to this issue, dear brother. I love you both and I don't want either of you to die because of my selfish desires.” Her hand went slack in his powerful grip. He knew that she was near death.
 
Chocking back the tears of sorrow, Koga replied, “I will do as you ask, and if possible, I will do my best to protect her if they are unable to.” She smiled faintly looking into his stormy blue eyes and carefully handed him her sleeping infant.
 
“Please, Koga. Go to them as fast as you can, for this child is in grave danger. As like me, she will be in human form for the night of the new crescent moon, in the morning, when the sun's rays peak the skyline, she will go into her demon form and then all will know her true father, Lord Sesshomaru. Ask the flea to place a spell on her to keep her in human form as long as he can to protect her. I thank you for this last request.” Akane's eyes closed then opened one last time. “Now go, with the child and keep her safe. The faster you get to the sword smith the safer the tribe will be.” She closed her eyes, one last time, and then she lay quiet. A look of peace and tranquility covered her face as she passed on, leaving the sleeping infant and her grieving brother.
 
Minutes after her passing, Koga pulled a canine from her peaceful mouth, bravely fighting back the tears of his loss. With the tooth in hand and the infant swaddled against all elements, he headed out into the raging storm. He traveled as far as he could before the cold affected his legs. Koga stopped for brief periods of time to warm up before setting out again on his journey. Within a few hours, he was out of the raging storm and traveling on fleet feet toward Totosai's hut on a volcanic plain. When he arrived, two hours from sunrise, he saw the old demon fast asleep on his bed. With a stern kick, Koga roused the old demon from his slumber.
 
“What is it? What do you want?” Totosai demanded. He looked around and saw the young male demon. “Oh it's just you. What can I do for you, young Wolf demon?”
 
“I have a final request from my sister that I'm trying to finish if you don't mind old man. She requested that you carve her fang into a wolf howling at a new crescent moon for her infant daughter,” Koga replied, tossing the tooth to the old demon.
 
Totosai looked at the tooth carefully, and replied, “I can have it done for you in a few days. It will take some time. Is there anything else that I can do for you, young Wolf?”
 
“Now that you mention it, I'm also looking for Myoga the Flea; I have a small package that I need to leave with him. Do you know where I can find him?” Koga responded.
 
Myoga leapt from Totosai's grizzled head onto Koga's arm. “I'm here, my lord. What may I be of service to you for?” He looked at the bundle in Koga's arms. Upon further investigation, he realized that it was a child.
 
“This child is why I'm here, Myoga. My sister was a half demon and the father of this child she feared would destroy both the Wolf demon tribe and the child. My sister died a short while ago and she requested that you place a spell on her daughter to prevent the demonic transformation, as well as find a safe place for this child away from danger and her Dog demon father.” Koga gazed at his little reddish-blond headed niece as she slept soundly. She had not made a sound or stirring during the whole trip.
 
Myoga's eyes grew wide as he stammered, “You don't mean, Lord Sesshomaru?! He is not tolerant of humans or half-demons. Take his poor brother for example. If it were not for the Father, Inuyasha would have died a mere infant, barely an hour old. I understand your plight, young Wolf.”
 
Over the next half an hour, Koga told Myoga and Totosai of Akane's final request and that she left them her child for protection, knowing that they would protect her. Shortly, there after, Koga bid a final farewell to his niece. He turned to Totosai and said, “I have a request of my own for the pendant that my sister asked for you to make. Please write the name Mika on the wolf, that way she will be able to have a name that was given to her by family.”
 
“I think that I can do that. It will be done shortly. Are you sure that you don't want to stay?” He asked.
 
“No. It's best that I leave now, to further her safety.”
 
Koga headed toward the door. His niece still wrapped in the same blanket that she was given to him in. She lay sleeping on the bed of the old demon, oblivious to all that happened around her. The pounding of the hammer from Totosai's forge did not faze the child in her slumber. Koga bent down and kissed her one last time. “Stay safe, little Mika. Your mother and I love you very much and feel that this is the best for your safety.” She cooed quietly as his lips brushed her tender pink forehead. Her eyes fluttered opened briefly, looking at him with her mother's blue eyes, and then closed as she fell back asleep. He turned and left, never looking back, as tears streamed down his face. In a cloud of dust, Koga was gone.
 
Myoga observed the young child, mulling over the situation of what to do for the young infant. He knew of Lord Sesshomaru and his dislike of the human element. Myoga recalled the last conversation that a then young Lord Sesshomaru had with his father before the birth of his half brother. He looked over at Totosai and observed the master at work. As Totosai worked his magic on the canine, Myoga completed his task of creating the tattoo of her heritage into the words requested onto her right shoulder. Despite his minimal size, Myoga knew that the demon ink he used would grow with the child and never fade or stretch out of shape as a regular tattoo would. Within the hour, a few moments before sunrise, the canine had been shaped and transformed into the pendant. Once it was completed, Myoga quickly cast the spell on the young child, binding as best he could the demonic blood that flowed in her veins. With the addition of the pendant made similar in nature to the Tetsusaiga, he was sure that the child would remain human for, he figured at least 100 years. He hoped that would be enough to keep her safe, for a little bit at least from Sesshomaru.
 
Totosai slipped the pendant onto a micro thin chain of silver. Mixed with the metal, making it virtually unbreakable were the cast offs from the fang that was used to forge the Tetsusaiga and Tenseiga souvenirs that he'd held onto for centuries. Having seen the infant and the strong family resemblance he figured the old general wouldn't mind. After some brief reminiscing he slipped the necklace and pendant into the blanket near the infant's skin as he rewrapped her.
 
After the spells were cast and the sun shimmered over the plain, Mika began to fuse and fidget in her confining wrap. Totosai took up the child and headed for the cave entrance. Myoga leaped after him. “What are you going to do with the child, Totosai?”
 
“I'm going to do the same thing to her that we did with the master's old sword Sounga,” the old demon replied. Jumping limberly onto the back of his flying bull, Totosai cradled the infant with care and headed toward the Bone-Eaters Well. Myoga leaped onto the cow and together they delivered the now fussy child to their destination.
 
“If what they say is true about this well, the young child will be fine and be safe from Sesshomaru. I would just like to get this done and over with before he finds out that we had anything to do with this. I'm betting that he's still mad at us about giving him Tenseiga instead of the Tetsusaiga.” They lowered the child into the well and left, never looking back at the well, nor acknowledged the crying coming from inside. They flew away, until the crying seized. Neither curious nor indifferent, the two fled back to Totosai's home on the plain, hoping that the child would be well protected and cared for.