InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Minoue ❯ Decisions ( Chapter 2 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimers: I do not own InuYasha or any of the manga/anime characters. They belong to the wonderful genius Rumiko Takahashi. Any original characters do belong to me.
 
AN: Thank you very much to inufan625 for acting as my beta once again. An additional thank you goes to Knittingknots for her help as well. I greatly appreciate the time they've taken to help make me a better writer and this a better story. You will find both of their fics here at MediaMiner. You should check them out if you haven't already.
 
For responses to your reviews, please check out my LiveJournal at http://doggieearlover.livejournal.com/130397.html.
 
 
Minoue
 
Chapter 2: Decisions
 
Sango sighed as she kicked off her shoes after entering her new apartment and then went over and flopped down on the couch. She settled back against the thickly padded leather and rubbed her right shoulder. Still aching, she leaned forward and rotated her arm, trying to work the kinks out. Damn - what a girl wouldn't give for a good massage right now. However, instead of picking up the phone, Sango stretched out on her belly, letting her arm hang over the edge of the sofa to the floor. Maybe gravity would help pull the tightened muscles back out and loosen them up.
 
Sango drifted off and found herself focusing on the features of face that was so close to hers earlier: the dark twinkling eyes, the black hair that was pulled back in a short pony tail, the rings in both ears. Who was he? Was he just another student at the dojo or one of the instructors as well? He certainly was her match which she did not expect. After all of the other dojo she had visited matched inferior students against her, she had underestimated this one when she saw his pretty looks. However, the fact that the master of the dojo was sparring with him when she came in should have warned her of his possible expertise. As a result, he had pinned her, albeit not easily.
 
Sango suddenly realized that she didn't even know his name. It was just as well; she was here to study and nothing else. Chances were she'd see him around the dojo when she started working out there on a regular basis anyway. Then again, maybe it was just as well if she didn't see him again. She didn't need any distractions.
 
And Nishimori InuYasha - what was the story behind him? Perhaps she'd get up the nerve to call her old sensei again. It had been he who had recommended that particular dojo when she finally called him in frustration after having no luck in finding one on her own. She was expecting an ancient and wrinkled old man that had gained the respect of her long-time master. Did he know he was hanyou? If he did, he obviously didn't care. He had suggested that she call InuYasha and set up an appointment. He was certain she would not be disappointed with what she found there. Sango had to admit she wasn't.
 
Sango rolled over on her back, her forearm across her forehead. She closed her eyes and thought about her upcoming visit to the College of Letters the next morning. She was going to meet with the lady who had been assigned as her counselor and select her classes for the semester. In just a few days Spring Break would be over, and the new semester would begin. It was time to get serious.
 
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
 
“Monk, have you lost your fucking mind?” InuYasha asked incredulously. “You don't even know her!”
 
Miroku sighed and rubbed his neck. “I don't know… there's… there's… there's just something about her. What did you say her name was? Do you know anything about her?”
 
“Her name is Sango, or at least that's all she told me. No surname. Miroku, I don't want you pursuing her here. She's likely to end up in one of the groups that you instruct, and you know how I feel about relationships with students,” the hanyou said seriously.
 
“I know, I know. But still… I've got to learn more about her. Where did she come from? Why did she come here? Did the fates intend for us to meet?”
 
“You've been listening to your own bullshit, Monk,” InuYasha said.
 
“And you've been following your own advice for far too long, my friend,” Miroku replied just after two students flew threw the door, stopped long enough to take off their shoes and bow, and then the boy ran towards them. He was followed more slowly by his sister, who couldn't help but to smile at the sight of the pair sitting in the floor.
 
“Do not deny that you love her,” Miroku stated, as InuYasha's eyes softened at the sight of the raven haired girl that approached them.
 
InuYasha threw an angry look in Miroku's direction as he gracefully stood. Miroku clambered to his feet just as the boy arrived in front of them and bowed.
 
“Sensei, Sensei,” he started, panting and out of breath. “You won't believe what we found out today.”
 
“Slow down, Souta, so that he can understand you,” Kagome said as she also bowed to her instructor. Pink crept across her cheeks as her eyes locked on his.
 
“What's all this about?” InuYasha asked.
 
“They're holding an open tournament! Belts don't matter, and anyone can participate. We wanted your permission to enter. We think everybody should,” Souta answered.
 
InuYasha frowned, but didn't respond immediately.
 
“I think I heard something about this,” Miroku offered. “There's a new dojo preparing to open, and I think they are trying this as a way to lure in students.”
 
“But what if we go and win and more want to come here instead?” Souta asked enthusiastically.
 
“Souta, you know how Sensei feels about tournaments and belts. If he doesn't want us to participate, we must honor his wishes,” Kagome said softly, “even if I do think it would be a good way for the students from this dojo to show off a little.”
 
“She's right, you know. They both are. You really should consider it,” Miroku agreed.
 
InuYasha was still frowning but responded, “You two go and get ready for your class, and I'll think about it.”
 
Kagome and Souta both bowed. Kagome blushed and smiled as her eyes met the hanyou's again before she turned and headed for the dressing room.
 
When they were out of earshot, Miroku said, “She's in love with you and has been for years. You love her, too. Why don't you just do something about it? She won't hurt you; it won't be like before. Just because she kind of looks like her doesn't mean she'll act like her.”
 
“Mind your own business, Monk,” InuYasha answered rather testily.
 
“But you are my friend, and I think your happiness is my business,” Miroku quipped.
 
“Not if you want to stay my friend,” the hanyou responded.
 
“Well, if you're not interested…”
 
“Stay away from her.” This time, InuYasha's eyes flashed red.
 
“You just proved my point. Do yourself a favor and ask her out. I'm going to prepare for my class.” Miroku sat and began to meditate.
 
InuYasha just glowered at him.
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
 
“Are you certain I shouldn't take more classes?” Sango asked her advisor, staring at the courses they had selected together.
 
Kaede sighed. “You have selected a strenuous schedule whether you realize it or not. The philosophy classes require a great deal of research. I am certain that this schedule will keep you very busy. In addition, you have been out of school for a full year. It wouldn't hurt to try and ease back into academic life. I know that you had outstanding grades, but you have been through a great deal of trauma.
 
“Take the advice of an old woman. I believe you will be satisfied with this agenda once you start your classes. You have subjects that compliment each other nicely, and all pertain to your chosen major,” she concluded.
 
Sango stared at the paper in her hand:
 
1st period of Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday: General Psychology; Professor FUKUSHIMA, Haru, D.Litt.
3rd period of Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday: History of Japanese Philosophy; Professor ICHIGAWA, Eichiro, D.Phil.
4th period of Monday and Thursday: General Psychology Lab; Associate Professor IMAMURA, Kaii, D.Sc.
2nd period of Tuesday and Friday: Buddhism in Japan; Associate Professor MIROKU, Bosatsu
3rd period of Tuesday and Friday: Introduction to Moral Philosophy; Associate Professor OZAWA, Taki
 
*No classes on May 3 (Thursday), May 4 (Friday), and July 16 (Monday)
 
 
“Only four classes and a lab?” Sango asked. “I know I can handle more than this.”
 
“Believe me when I say this: you will come to appreciate having some extra time to complete your homework. I know that you have not had Philosophy or Psychology classes before. You will find them more demanding than you think. They are quite different from the classes you have had so far in Criminal Justice,” the advisor offered.
 
“I am really interested in the Buddhism class,” Sango said softly.
 
“Under the circumstances, I thought you might be,” she answered. Kaede was one of the few who had Sango's entire history. She knew that her father and his workers had been buried by the Buddhist monks in the area. The dead in Japan were almost always left to them to handle.
 
Sango was still looking at the document. “You know, I think you're right. I do have at least two full days with this class schedule. I'll go ahead and get my books and look over them.” She stood and bowed. “Thank you. I appreciate your help.”
 
Kaede's legs creaked as she stood to return the bow. “Do not hesitate to come to me for anything. I am here to help you. And don't forget that the Entrance Ceremony is Friday. The orientation for new students is on Monday and classes will begin on Tuesday.”
 
“I'll remember,” Sango said before she turned to leave. “I'll remember everything you said.” Sango looked back over her shoulder and smiled at the gentle old woman who was settling back down in her chair. She was nothing like the tough advisor she'd had at her old school. Closing the door behind her, she decided to go and get some lunch, and then her books.
 
 
Kaede chuckled as Sango shut the door. “Believe me, Child - if half of what I've heard is true, you'll need that class in Morals after you've spent time with Sensei Miroku.”
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
InuYasha couldn't decide whether to be angry or proud. Once word had spread amongst his students of the open tournament, they had politely begged him for permission to enter. He really did not believe in the foolishness that usually surrounded such things, but he also saw the confidence in his students of their own abilities and how proud they were to have learned at his dojo. While he let Miroku think that he was the one who had finally talked him into it, in truth, he'd begun to consider it the moment Kagome's little brother had asked. It was pretty clear that he had done so with the encouragement of his older sister.
 
The hanyou sighed. He didn't know why he felt about her the way he did. He had met her on her fifteenth birthday. Her mother had sent Kagome to the store, and when she couldn't find what she had come for, she had to try another further from home. There, three boys had cornered her in an alley she had cut through on her way back to the shrine. InuYasha could smell her fear and the lust of the teenagers. As the hanyou ran towards them, he took off the hat he usually wore in public to hide his ears and snarled, raising his lip to make his fangs evident to the boys. They took one look at him and ran.
 
Kagome had been roughed up a little and was something of a mess. He approached her to make certain that she was all right but still expected her to either scream or run. She had done neither. She took one look and stared at him in awe. She then walked right up to him and reached up to rub an ear. “They're real,” she said softly and then realized what she had done and yanked her hand away.
 
InuYasha was so stunned at her actions he had simply let her. Flicking his ear still warm from her touch, he asked, “Are you okay?”
 
Kagome just nodded and then flushed bright red when she looked down and realized her clothing was torn. How was she going to walk home like this? “It's just… I'm such a mess,” she answered softly. However, her eyes had trailed upwards and locked back on his ears.
 
This time InuYasha sighed. “I'm hanyou.”
 
“I know. I've just never met a real one,” Kagome responded.
 
“You're not afraid of me?” he asked.
 
“Why would I be? You saved me,” she said. “Besides, I live at a Shinto shrine. I grew up with the legends; I just haven't met one of them before.”
 
“Oh.” InuYasha thought for a minute. He really couldn't let her walk home in the condition she was in, and he didn't live very far away. “Well, if you trust me, my dojo is nearby. I have some clothes you could change into, and then I'll walk you home.”
 
“Really?” The girl's face lit up. “My name is Higurashi Kagome, by the way. It's very nice to meet you.” She bowed when she introduced herself.
 
InuYasha returned her bow. “Nishimori InuYasha, but you can call me InuYasha. The pleasure is mine.”
 
“Then call me Kagome.”
 
He had taken her back to the dojo, and showed her the ladies' locker room so she could clean up. He'd gone and come back with an extra set of black hakama and a red Keikogi. Even though they were a size small, they still swallowed her petite frame. She'd just giggled and thanked him, and commented that they were kind of cute.
 
He had actually found it much easier to talk to her than he had anyone else in a long time, other than his friend Miroku. Perhaps it was because she wasn't afraid of him, or maybe it was just her innocence and sweetness. She started out kind of shy, but he learned more about her as he walked her home. He'd discovered that it was her fifteenth birthday, she had a little brother, and she lived at the shrine with her mother and grandfather who was the priest there.
 
She then had asked him why his dojo had a complete locker-room with showers and everything. While many had some kind of room to change in, very few had showers, towels, soap, and the sort of thing you would expect to find at the fancy gyms. InuYasha found himself explaining that he was Inuhanyou, with a powerful sense of smell. That, coupled with the fact that he'd noticed his female students weren't especially comfortable changing into their street clothes when they were sweaty from a workout, had prompted him to have them put in. He didn't mention the other reason was because his only real friend, Miroku, came in reeking of sex more than half the time. At least this way, he could make him shower when he showed up smelling like that.
 
He'd walked her to the door of her house. It was no wonder she was in pretty good shape if she had to go up and down that enormous staircase every day. She wasn't the least out of breath after their walk. He was suggesting that maybe she would like to come back to the dojo and try one of the beginner classes so that she could learn to defend herself when a crotchety old man in priest's robes ran up and slapped an ofuda on him.
 
“Demon, be gone!” he shouted as he stuck the paper to him.
 
“Jii-chan, no! He rescued me from some older boys,” Kagome exclaimed.
 
“Cool!” a little boy of about seven had just run up. “Kagome, did you start martial arts for your birthday? Why didn't you tell me? You know I want to go!”
 
“Souta, he was just nice and gave me these to wear since my clothes were ripped. You know we can't really afford anything like that.” Kagome turned her attention back to InuYasha. “If you'll come in and wait for a few minutes, I'll change and give these back to you.”
 
He shouldn't have been surprised when her mother took one look at him and reached up to rub his ear just like her daughter had. She then asked him to sit at the kitchen table and gave him a cup of tea. The little boy sat across from him and started asking all kinds of questions about the dojo. InuYasha, who normally would have been annoyed, decided he really didn't mind so much. With the exception of the priest, it was the first time he'd ever met total strangers who knew he was hanyou and still treated him, well, human. Fortunately, the old man didn't seem to have much in the way of spiritual energy and couldn't really hurt him. He shuddered at the thought of Kagome trying something similar. He wondered if she had any idea just how much power was contained within that tiny body.
 
Before he ended up finally leaving with the uniform he'd allowed Kagome to wear, he'd had a nice dinner and invited Kagome and Souta to the dojo. He told them that he was having a special offer, and they could come for a month for free to try it out. He explained to the whole family how he did not believe in the belt system used by most dojo and only taught classes in self-defense based on skill level. Considering what had happened to Kagome that afternoon, her mother agreed that maybe it wasn't such a bad idea to at least let her try. They had been coming ever since.
 
Of course, neither of them had ever had to pay for a single class. After the month was up, InuYasha told them they could pay for their training by helping with chores around the dojo. The reason he gave them was that he understood since they came from a Shinto Shrine, they wouldn't have much money to spare. He couldn't tell them that he felt an inexplicable peace when Kagome was around him. She soothed his soul in a manner that he did not understand. The hanyou just knew he'd feel lost if she left for good.
 
In addition, thanks to the siblings, he'd also suddenly gained a huge influx of students. Souta had told all of his classmates about the free “offer” and Kagome had mentioned it to a couple of her girlfriends as well. The next thing he knew, he was surrounded by little boys and girls Souta's age whose parents were thrilled he was teaching them self-defense as well as self-discipline without the competitive belt system. Some of Kagome's friends who had self-confidence issues also came for the same reason.
 
The good news was when the month was up, they stayed. InuYasha then had parents who started asking if perhaps he would consider a class for adults, and so evening classes were added for them. He actually had to enlist his friend Miroku to help teach, though he tried to relegate him to the younger children and teenage boys. The hanyou couldn't bring himself to completely trust the lecher with the older girls and even some of the mothers. He was learning from first hand experience how forward they could be.
 
However, due to the explosion of enrollment, he'd had to break down and allow Miroku to help him with more of the classes. In fact, he was seriously considering adding another instructor. He would like to offer the job to Kagome since she was great with the younger kids. They all adored her.
 
 
“So, my friend, what are you thinking about?” Miroku jolted InuYasha from his thoughts with his comment.
 
Thinking quickly, the hanyou responded, “The tournament.”
 
“I think it is a good idea for you to let them go, but I've already told you that. Are you going to attend? It would be nice if you were there to support your students. Many of them will probably be there since it is the last Saturday they will all have free for awhile. Classes for the new semester start next week,” he informed him.
 
InuYasha nodded. “I know. You'd better go get your class started. I'll be out later. I have someone coming in to set up a training schedule.”
 
“Anyone I know?”
 
“You don't want to leave those ten year olds alone for too long. They'll get restless,” the hanyou commented.
 
Miroku looked puzzled at the change of subject. “I'll take that as a… yes. Sango, perhaps?”
 
“Go, and don't get any ideas,” InuYasha ordered.
 
With a heavy sigh, Miroku went out to meet his students.
 
 
“Enter,” InuYasha said as Sango approached, before she had a chance to knock. She looked startled when he looked up. “Sorry, you'll probably get used to it. Did you bring your schedule?”
 
She nodded and handed him her list of classes. InuYasha snorted and grimaced when he saw it. However, he decided it would be best to keep his mouth shut. And maybe this would be to his advantage since Miroku swore he wouldn't fuck his students. Sango remained quiet while he studied it.
 
InuYasha finally spoke, “I've been giving some thought to your training. You have a high level of skill, but you also have the injury to contend with.”
 
Sango's mouth opened, but nothing came out, so he continued, “I have several students who have been injured one way or another, mostly from sports at school. I have a special conditioning class just for them that is held Tuesday and Thursday evenings and then on Saturday afternoons. From your schedule, it appears that should work for you. We need to work on strengthening your right arm and shoulder back up before we do anything else. Would you agree?”
 
Sango's first impulse was to be upset, but then she realized he was right. Remembering how she had been pinned to the mat, she said, “Yes, I would like to get the strength that I once had back. Should I start this Saturday?”
 
The hanyou shook his head. “Many of my students have asked to participate in the tournament on Saturday. I gave my permission and cancelled any classes here.”
 
It was Sango's turn to frown. “I don't understand.”
 
InuYasha actually smiled. “To be honest, neither do I.”
 
 
To be continued…