InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Minoue ❯ And So It Begins ( Chapter 8 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimers: I do not own InuYasha or any of the manga/anime characters. They belong to the wonderful genius Rumiko Takahashi. Any original characters do belong to me.
 
AN: Thank you very much for the reviews. I read each and every one of them, and greatly appreciate those of you that took the time to leave one. For responses to your reviews since last time, please check my LiveJournal at doggieearlover.livejournal.com/149460.html.
 
Minoue recently placed third for Best AU in the Feudal Association voting for August 2007. Thank you to everyone for your support!
 
AN: Thank you very much to inufan625 for acting as my beta once again. An additional thank you goes to Knittingknots for her help as well. I greatly appreciate the time they've taken to help make me a better writer and this a better story. You will find both of their fics here at MediaMiner. You should check them out if you haven't already.
 
 
Minoue
 
Chapter 8: And So It Begins
 
Miroku was actually nervous as he approached the office of the old advisor. It was rare for him to attempt to find out more about a student. Usually, when he went to a counselor, it was to let them know that one of his pupils was not doing well in his class. Stopping in front of the door, he took a deep breath and knocked.
 
“Come in,” he heard, so he opened the door and then closed it behind him.
 
“How can I help you, Sensei Miroku? Isn't it too early for someone to be failing your class?” Kaede said with a chuckle. “Well come on in and have a seat.”
 
Miroku did as told and sat down across from her. “I came to ask if you know anything about the background of one of my new students.”
 
“Which one?” Kaede responded.
 
“Satou, Sango,” he said.
 
Kaede furrowed her brow. “May I ask why you want to know more information about this particular student?”
 
Miroku nodded his head slowly as he reached into his pocket. He pulled out the printed email he'd been carrying around, unfolded it, and handed it to her. “I've never seen a response like this one. It troubles me that one so young would ask such a thing.”
 
Kaede frowned as she read the email. “That is most unusual, indeed. But I'm afraid I cannot give you the information that you seek.”
 
“So you do know,” Miroku stated.
 
“Why does this trouble you so?” Kaede asked.
 
Miroku sighed. “It appears that she has had to deal with death, probably recently, and most likely had do it alone. Someone her age should not have to make such decisions.”
 
“You did,” Kaede said gently.
 
“That was different. I was raised by the monks and knew what my guardian wanted. Plus I wasn't really alone. Even so, it was difficult. I cannot imagine dealing with something like this with no one to guide me. Will you not tell me anything about her?” Miroku responded.
 
“I must respect her wishes for her privacy. I can neither confirm nor deny what you have stated.” Kaede sat back and studied Miroku. “Do you intend to continue investigating her?”
 
Miroku shook his head. “I am concerned about her; that is all. Perhaps in the course of my class she will discover the answers she is looking for. I don't want to do anything to frighten her away.”
 
“A wise decision,” she agreed. “In fact isn't it almost time for your class to begin?”
 
Miroku looked at his watch. “I've got about ten minutes. The class room was empty for first period, so I already have everything ready for my lesson. Thank you for your time; I guess I had better go.”
 
“Come see me again sometime, Miroku. It was a pleasure,” Kaede responded as he turned towards the door.
 
Looking back and bowing to her, he said, “Thank you. Maybe I will.”
 
Miroku closed the door behind him. While he didn't really learn anything more, he had discerned that Kaede knew more than she was willing to reveal. Perhaps, if he was able to come back with something more concrete, she would tell him more.
 
 
The classroom was fairly full. Kagome and Sango were glad they arrived early in order to get a seat. However, looking around the lecture hall, they had to wonder if they were in a religious class or a night club. The two girls were feeling seriously overdressed in their blouses and slacks. Everywhere they looked there was a girl with an extremely short skirt and a very low-cut top. Some were dressed more modestly, but there were a large number in very revealing clothing. In addition, many of the guys seemed to be wearing pants that were a size or two too small. What was going on?
 
Sango leaned over and whispered to Kagome, “Are you certain we're in the right place?”
 
Kagome nodded. “According to the schedule and the information on the board this must be the right room.”
 
About that time the door opened and the professor strode in. Kagome had to admit that Miroku looked pretty handsome in his black suit with the purple shirt and tie. Of course she was used to the rings through his ears. She heard Sango gasp.
 
“What is it, Sango?” Kagome whispered.
 
“Him? He's our teacher?” She sounded almost frantic.
 
“Miroku? You didn't know he was the instructor?” Kagome answered very softly.
 
Sango shook her head vehemently. Pulling out her schedule, she stared at it again: Buddhism in Japan; Associate Professor MIROKU, Bosatsu. Now she understood why that named seemed familiar - Miroku, the same Miroku from the dojo, the same Miroku that had pinned her to the floor and then just stared into her eyes, the one that stood up for his friend, and the one that gave her butterflies when she thought about him - that Miroku.
 
Miroku closed the door behind him before walking to the desk in the room. Setting his briefcase and books on the table, he glanced around to get a quick look at who was in the classroom. There were a line of girls in very short skirts and thongs along the front row, their legs spread as they slouched in their seats to give him a show. He was almost disappointed at how blatant so many girls were nowadays. However, his eyes trailed upwards and landed on the student he was looking for. There she was in the middle of the fourth row next to Kagome - Sango.
 
“Good morning. I am Sensei Miroku, who will be your guide into the world of Buddhism this semester. I wish to thank everyone who responded to my questions regarding the reasons you are taking this class. Just so you know I will not be singling anyone out, that while I do read them, I organize the answers together without names, so that I can get an idea of the overall expectations that you have for this class.”
 
Kagome noticed that Sango let out a sigh in relief at that statement.
 
After going through the roster of students, Miroku continued in an animated style that made it clear that he both loved and understood his subject matter. Before the class was over he had explained the origins of Buddhism, other countries where it was prominent even though they would be studying Buddhism in Japan, and what were some of the strongest influences on Buddhism in their country. He also gave them their reading assignment for the next class before dismissing them a few minutes early.
 
Kagome and Sango were both a bit startled when they heard, “Higurashi, Satou, will you please remain behind for a moment? The rest of the class is excused.”
 
Miroku was looking at the two girls when he made his request and both of them suddenly noticed a lot of other feminine faces glaring at them as they nodded. Kagome and Sango worked their way down to the front as the others filed out of the classroom, though some were obviously hanging behind to see if they could overhear anything worthwhile.
 
Kagome bowed to Miroku when they reached him. “Sensei Miroku, I don't believe you have actually been introduced even though you have already met. This is Sango. She said that she sparred with you last week.”
 
Miroku bowed his head in return. “It is indeed an honor to meet you finally. You are a tough opponent. I wanted to tell both of you that I'm sorry that I was not able to go to dinner with you the other evening due to the circumstances. I trust you had a good time?”
 
The last few girls hanging around stormed out at that statement.
 
Kagome giggled as she watched them go. It had finally occurred to her what was going on, so she went along with it. “We had a great time. I hope you and InuYasha can go next time. I'd never been to La Maremma Pizzeria before. It was actually very good. And they had this pizza with cherries and chocolate…”
 
Miroku choked at that. “Cherries and chocolate on pizza?”
 
“And bananas,” Sango chimed in. “It was good!”
 
Miroku chuckled. “I'll have to take your word for it. Are you two going to the dojo this evening?”
 
Both girls nodded, though Kagome flushed red as well. She was saved from responding when Sango said, “I'm supposed to start my strengthening class this evening. I wonder what he'll have me do?”
 
“There's no telling. He will have taken your injury into consideration and then developed a program tailored towards it. No matter how unusual it may seem, it's best not to question him and just go with it,” he responded.
 
“I'll remember that,” Sango answered. “Well, I guess we'd better go if you don't need anything else. I don't know about Kagome, but I'd like to grab a quick lunch before my next class.”
 
“Yeah, I am getting hungry. We'll see you tonight,” Kagome said.
 
“I'll see you then,” Miroku responded as the two girls bowed to him before leaving. Gathering up his books and briefcase, he followed not far behind.
 
 
“What was that all about?” Sango asked Kagome as they walked down the steps of the building.
 
“I think he was using us to keep the rest of the girls away,” she answered with a giggle. “The way all of those girls were dressed? They were apparently trying to get his attention. It didn't seem to work too well though - at least not today. He is handsome, don't you think?”
 
“I… I… I… I… well… I haven't thought about it,” Sango stammered as her cheeks flamed up.
 
“Well, the other girls apparently have,” Kagome said simply. “It looks like he is really serious about his subject though. I think it will be a good class.”
 
“I hope so.” Sango was getting that look on her face again. Kagome couldn't help wonder what triggered it. However, not wanting to question her further, at least not until they knew each other better, she remained silent.
 
“We can get soup and rice or a bento box here,” Kagome said as they approached a building. “Will that be okay for lunch?”
 
“Sounds good,” Sango answered as she followed her inside.
 
The two girls each purchased their lunch and then went outside to find a bench in the shade. They chatted quietly, though often ate in silence. For whatever reason, it really didn't seem awkward or uncomfortable.
 
“Thanks for eating with me,” Kagome said as they were finishing up. “I enjoyed it. I have to go to my Methodology of Pedagogy class now. What about you?”
 
“I have Introduction to Moral Philosophy,” Sango responded. “I appreciated the company as well. I'll see you this evening then?”
 
“I'll be there.” Kagome swung her backpack over her shoulder. “See you then.”
 
The two went their separate ways. As she walked to her next class, Sango was thinking that she really was starting to like Kagome. She wasn't overly chatty, and she wasn't nosey. She didn't feel the need to hear herself talk to fill the silence, either, which seemed to be a rare trait. Sango actually found herself looking forward to running into her again.
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
InuYasha walked through his currently empty and quiet dojo to the wall where the weapons were hanging. Reaching up to the top set of brackets, to the left one of the pair where Tessaiga was resting, he pulled the brace outwards and down. He stood back as a seam in the wall appeared and begin to widen as a door swung outward.
 
He did not need any more light than what was flooding the vault through the open doorway as he stepped into it. Most of the weapons stored here would never leave their safe location. There were dangerous tools of destruction here, many made from the remains of real demons. The majority of them were hundreds of years old. This vault protected their very existence from the world, for it not only had measures in place to protect them from greedy humans, but from demons as well.
 
Looking around the secret room, his eyes landed on what he wanted. Hanging from the wall were two boomerangs. One was huge, and would take a great deal of strength and skill to throw it. It would be awhile before she would be ready for that one. Below it was its smaller sister - still quite large in comparison to normal boomerangs, but more manageable than the other. This was the one that InuYasha plucked from the wall and carried outside of the vault. Reaching up to the bracket, he reversed his motions from before, and the door closed, once again leaving no indication that it was there. Satisfied with his choice, InuYasha carried the weapon back to his office where he would wipe it down and check the leather fittings. This would be the perfect tool to start Sango back on her road to recovery. Learning to throw it properly would require the use of all of the muscles in her right arm and shoulder. Thinking about the best way to get her started with it, he went to work polishing.
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
Kagome didn't know why her stomach was fluttering so as she approached the dojo. It was just that, even though it was unspoken, she knew things were not exactly the same any more. However, she went and put her bag and purse away before she started her chores around the place.
 
She was already in the middle of vacuuming the tatami mats around the training floor when Souta came in. He smiled and waved and went to the men's dressing room. He would get it ready to go and bring out any towels for her to get ready for the laundry. Waving back, Kagome finished and put away the vacuum cleaner and then headed towards the ladies' dressing room to do the same.
 
Kagome was surprised to walk in and see a familiar form stripping out of her street clothes. There was an unobstructed view of her back as she pulled her shirt over her head. Kagome couldn't help but to suck in her breath and quickly place her hand over her mouth to silence herself before she noiselessly backed out of the room. Not certain what to do, she headed towards InuYasha's office.
 
“Come in, Kagome,” he said as she approached the door. She was still shaking when she went in and sat down, clasping her hands in her lap and looking at the floor.
 
“Kagome? What is it?” InuYasha said very gently. “Are you okay? What happened?”
 
Her eyes were glistening with tears when she finally looked up. “Sango…” she started, but couldn't continue.
 
“What's the matter? Has something happened to her?” InuYasha asked, worry in his voice.
 
“It… it… it's just that...” Kagome stopped and took a deep breath. “She's here for your conditioning class, right?”
 
The hanyou nodded, still wondering what had her so upset. He was fairly certain that Sango was somewhere in the dojo since she'd stuck her head in the doorway of his office to let him know she was there.
 
“Oh, InuYasha, she has the worst scar,” Kagome barely whispered, not wanting to be overheard. “It's on her back, like a big chunk was taken out of it. It goes… well, would you stand up and turn around?”
 
He did as she asked, and she gently traced the area that the scar covered, from the shoulder and right arm down to the middle of the back and over just past the spine. “It's that big. Something horrible must have happened to her. I know she's tough, but please don't let her hurt herself.”
 
InuYasha turned back to face her, still tingling from her gentle touch. Brushing the tears from her cheeks with the pads of his thumbs, his eyes met hers. “Thanks for telling me, Kagome. What I have planned for her should help her, and she won't be sparring with any other students for awhile. Don't worry, keh?”
 
“Okay, InuYasha. I just thought you should know,” she said softly.
 
The hanyou was having a hard time resisting the urge to kiss her as he cupped her face in his hands. “I'm glad you told me. I'll try to make certain she doesn't overdo it. Now, would you like to help Miroku with the young ones tonight while I work with those in the conditioning class?”
 
A smile started to cross her face as she nodded. “I'd love to.”
 
“Well go and get ready then. You know you can't leave them alone, or they'll get restless,” InuYasha told her.
 
“I just need to finish getting the towels together for the laundry service so I'll only have the ones from tonight to add to them. I'll see you later then.” Feeling much better, Kagome headed back to the ladies' dressing room to finish her chores.
 
InuYasha sighed as he sat back down. That was one of the reasons he loved her so: Kagome was probably the most caring and unselfish person he'd met in his fairly long life. He also furrowed his brow. What kind of injury had Sango suffered? He might actually have to consider placing a call to her old master. He'd see how she did tonight with the large boomerang though. It might make her sore but it shouldn't aggravate her old wound.
 
Picking up the weapon, he headed out to the dojo floor with it. Once Sango presented herself as ready to begin, he would take her outside to the clearing behind the building. He was jolted from his thoughts when Souta ran up to him and bowed. “Sensei, what is that?”
 
“This is for Sango, the new student you met the other day,” InuYasha answered.
 
“Cool!” the boy exclaimed before he scampered away.
 
InuYasha just grinned to himself and shook his head. He never knew what to expect from Souta.
 
“Is that what I think it is?” Miroku asked as he approached him. “Sorry I didn't get here earlier, but I got trapped in my office by some of my new students. I came as quickly as I could.”
 
That made InuYasha choke even though for once Miroku didn't have the smell of sex clinging to him.
 
Miroku knew what he was thinking and why he didn't answer, so he continued, “Is that made of demon bone?”
 
“Not so loud. No one needs to know what it is. If Sango can learn to throw this, it will strengthen her weakened muscles and that's all. Then it'll go back where it came from,” InuYasha said in a hushed voice. “I'm going to take her outside with this and let her throw it. It will take all of the muscles in her right shoulder, arm, and back to do it properly. You'd better keep in shape, Monk, because when she's ready, I'm going to let her take you on again.”
 
Miroku bowed to him. “I'm looking forward to it. And now if you'll excuse me, I will get ready for my class.”
 
“I asked Kagome to help you tonight. I didn't think you would mind,” InuYasha responded.
 
Miroku said, “Thank you. The class is getting large, and she is excellent with the students. I welcome her help.”
 
“Just make sure to keep your hands off of her,” the hanyou warned.
 
Miroku answered very softly, “I know not to touch what is yours. Do not fear, my friend. I do not want your wrath or hers.”
 
Nodding, InuYasha continued on his way, saying hello to students and parents as he passed by them.
 
He found Sango in one of the meditation circles that were near the far wall in the main room. Not wanting to disturb her since she was a little early, he moved through to the smaller training room to see if the other students in the conditioning class were there yet. There were currently only four others in the group since three had recently been released back to their regular classes. Sliding the door open, he found two of them patiently waiting, sitting cross-legged in the floor. They immediately jumped up and bowed upon his entrance.
 
InuYasha returned the bow. “Kimura, Shimizu, I have a new student to start tonight. She won't be able to work with anyone else for some time, and we'll have to go outside for her to begin. You two are doing very well and should be able to work together. Do either of you have any questions about what you are doing in your training?”
 
“No, Sensei,” they replied together though their eyes strayed from his face to the very large boomerang he was holding over his right shoulder.
 
“If you're wondering, she has to learn to throw this before she can spar with other students again. I'm sure you can understand why we're going outdoors,” InuYasha offered. Normally, he didn't explain himself, but these were good students who were used to him working personally with them. “Once I get her going, I'll come back in and check on you. Now can you two work together and tell Tanaka and Itou to do the same?”
 
“Hai, Sensei,” they answered as they bowed to him once again.
 
“All right. Remember, no real sparring, but only the exercises you've been given. You are both almost ready to join your regular classes again. Are they going to test you at school before allowing you to play again?”
 
“They have scheduled me to see the team doctor next week,” Kimura replied. “They couldn't believe how fast I have recovered.”
 
Shimizu nodded in agreement. “Me, either. I'm supposed to see ours on Friday.”
 
“Good. What you are doing is working. Now I'm going to see if I can get our new student started on her recovery. If any of you need me, we'll be in the clearing out back. Also, Sensei Miroku has help tonight, so you can ask him as well. If there is nothing further, you can begin,” InuYasha said.
 
“Hai, Sensei,” they said as they bowed to him and then turned and bowed to each other.
 
InuYasha went back out to find Sango still sitting but no longer in meditation. She rose gracefully to her feet when she saw him and then bowed.
 
The hanyou returned her bow and then asked, “Are you ready to begin?”
 
Sango nodded, not sure why her mouth was suddenly too dry to speak - though it may have had something to do with Miroku walking onto the training floor with Kagome.
 
“Come on then. Follow me,” InuYasha told her as he headed for the back door.
 
He led Sango to a fairly large clearing behind the dojo. He saw her eyes widen as she looked around. Most had no idea that the dojo sat at the bottleneck entrance of about a hundred acres, most of which were kept natural. From here, there were no signs of the city.
 
“It's beautiful out here,” she finally said. “It reminds me of home.”
 
“Would you like to know why I brought you out here?” InuYasha asked.
 
Sango tore her eyes from the scenery and looked at him again. “Yes, please.”
 
InuYasha repositioned the large boomerang so that the fingers of his right hand were curled around the leather grip, and his left held the other grip enough to balance it. Twisting his body at the waist, he swung backwards before fluidly returning forward to throw the boomerang. It made a large circle around the clearing before coming back where he neatly caught it.
 
“That is what you are going to learn to do. I'm going to throw it again, and I want you to watch my movements, particularly my right arm and shoulder. Ready?” InuYasha instructed.
 
“Yes,” Sango said. She had to admit that she didn't expect anything like this.
 
InuYasha slowed his movements somewhat and threw it again. He was currently glad he'd taken a few minutes to come out and practice with it before everyone started showing up. It saved him the embarrassment of bouncing it off a couple of trees in front of her. However, it had been a long time since he'd had the weapon out of the vault before today.
 
“Could you do it one more time?” Sango asked, watching intensely. She had the feeling this was a lot harder than it looked.
 
InuYasha nodded and threw it again. When it returned to him, he caught it and said, “Would you like to try it now?”
 
“Yes,” Sango said with determination.
 
InuYasha held the boomerang with the left grip as he showed her how to place her hand on the right grip. When he was satisfied with that, he kept it balanced on one hand while she experimented with her left hand. “Is this correct?” she finally asked.
 
The hanyou made slight adjustments to her fingers, still careful to keep one hand under the large weapon to support its weight. “Remember, don't grip too tightly. You want it to leave your hands, not try and throw your body with it. Now I'm going to move my hand so you can get a feel for the weight. It's heavier than you think.”
 
InuYasha removed his hand and the boomerang automatically sank. However, Sango was determined and pulled it back up. “It is heavier than it looks,” she commented.
 
He nodded. “Yes, so do not be disappointed that it doesn't go very far at first. As long as you try to throw it correctly it will start the process to strengthen your muscles. Also, I don't want you to overdo it. A few throws is probably all you will be able to do at first. Don't get discouraged. Do you want to try it?”
 
“I think I would,” Sango said with a clear voice. If this would help her finally get her full strength back, she was willing to try it. It was unlike any of the tasks they had her perform in rehab.
 
“I'll help get you started the first time,” InuYasha said as he moved behind her. He reached around to place his hands over hers on the grips. “Now, turn back with me, and then forward. Do you feel that motion?” He turned loose of her and placed his right hand over her shoulder blade, his fingers outstretched. “You should feel all of these muscles working by the time you release. Don't use just your arm, but put your shoulder and back into it. Understand?” He stepped back from her.
 
Sango looked over her shoulder. “Yes, I think so.”
 
“Okay then, give her a whirl,” he told her.
 
She did as instructed and let the boomerang go when she reached the end of her arc. It went about three meters and dug into the ground. “Damn!” she cursed.
 
InuYasha actually chuckled as he walked to pick it up. “Actually, that was pretty good for a first try. Since you aren't as tall as me, why don't you add a bit more of an upward motion rather than so level a one? When you eventually throw this full circle, it'll need a bit of height.”
 
“Okay,” Sango said as he held it while she placed her hands in the grips again. “I'm ready.”
 
The hanyou stepped back behind her, out of the way. As she turned, he noticed that she not only tried for the upwards curve to the throw, but used her knees as well.
 
He was surprised when she threw it and yelled, “Hae!” at the same time. It did manage to go about a meter further than before.
 
“Good,” he said as he went to retrieve it. “That was better.”
 
Sango's face was red and she was panting. “I'm so sorry, Sensei. I didn't mean to yell.”
 
InuYasha handed it back to her. “If it helps, go ahead and tell it to `fly'. It did go further, didn't it?”
 
“Not much,” she muttered, looking at the ground.
 
“Sango.” InuYasha did not continue until she was looking at him again. “This will not be an easy process. I think you know that. This is not the first exercise you've had for your injury, is it?”
 
She shook her head. “No.”
 
“How long have you been recovering from this?” he asked gently.
 
“Over a year,” she whispered.
 
“Then if it takes you a few more months or even another year, nothing is lost. You will only become stronger, but it will take time. Don't become discouraged. I'm fairly certain this will help you, just as I'm willing to bet you haven't done anything like this before, have you?” he added.
 
Sango shook her head again in response.
 
InuYasha said, “Okay then. I want you to try it one more time, and then I think we'll call it a night. I don't want you to overdo it and be too sore to try again Thursday.”
 
She opened her mouth to protest but nothing came out. She could already feel her muscles tightening, and she was still panting. This was far harder than it looked on the outset. “All right,” she agreed.
 
She took the boomerang from him with more confidence this time. As he stepped out of her way, she heard, “It's okay to yell. No one can hear you but me.”
 
She couldn't help herself. As she threw the flying bone, she shouted, “Hae!” While it went about the same distance as before, it landed at more of a flat angle, rather than digging into the ground. Sango actually smiled. “It didn't go any further yet but the angle was better, wasn't it?”
 
“Yes,” InuYasha answered as he picked it up for the last time that evening. “Now I want you to carry it back in. This will stay in my office, and no one but you are allowed to touch it, understand?”
 
“Yes, Sensei.” She took the weapon from him and wrapped her hand through the grip so that she could carry it over her shoulder as she saw him do.
 
“Good. That's the best way I know to carry the thing without running into everything with it. After you,” the hanyou said. He didn't add that just the act of hauling it around would further strengthen her muscles.
 
Before going in, Sango turned to face him again though it was awkward to bow with the large boomerang draping down her back. “Thank you, Sensei.”
 
“Keh,” InuYasha answered, returning the bow. “Now let's go in, shall we? I want to check on the others as well.”
 
Sango turned to follow the path back to the dojo. InuYasha moved in front of her to slide the door open and then closed it behind them. After instructing Sango to leave the weapon in his office, he went to the smaller room to check on the other conditioning students.
 
 
Sango was thinking about Miroku's words earlier in the day. He certainly was right. The training was unusual, but she could tell that she was using muscles that had not really been put to task in a long time. Not sure where to leave the boomerang in InuYasha's office, she stood it in the corner before going to take a nice, hot shower. By the time she'd redressed, she'd decided to call the massage therapist when she got home and set up an appointment for the next evening. She was pretty certain she was going to need it.
 
 
To be continued…