InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Minoue ❯ Encounters of the Youkai Kind ( Chapter 15 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimers: I do not own InuYasha or any of the manga/anime characters. They belong to the wonderful genius Rumiko Takahashi. Any original characters do belong to me.
 
AN: Thank you very much to inufan625 for acting as my beta once again. An additional thank you goes to Knittingknots for her help as well. I greatly appreciate the time they've taken to help make me a better writer and this a better story.
 
Thank you very much for the reviews. I read each and every one of them, and greatly appreciate those of you that took the time to leave one. For responses to your reviews, please check my LiveJournal at doggieearlover.livejournal.com/173109.html.
 
 
Minoue
 
Chapter 15: Close Encounters of the Youkai Kind
 
The students accepted Kagome as a new instructor easily, which both InuYasha and Miroku expected. She had been helping with the younger students for some time, after all, and they adored her. However, one change that InuYasha insisted on was that she no longer perform chores around the dojo. Now that he was paying her as a staff member, she no longer needed to work to cover her classes. Instead, he quietly asked both her and Miroku if they knew of any other students whose parents were struggling that they might offer the opportunity to. Souta would continue as he had, but he would need help. Knowing that her brother was more in touch with his classmates, Kagome asked him if he knew of anyone who might fit the bill. Nodding somberly, he told her that the father of two of the students, a brother and sister, had just lost his job. They were paid up until the end of the month but would have to drop their classes if he had not found work by then. Hugging him, Kagome said that she would let InuYasha know.
 
It turned out that the father of another one of the girls worked for the same company and had also been laid off. InuYasha called them in separately and informed them of the opportunity and what would be involved. The students and parents alike were grateful and accepted. With two boys and two girls, they should easily be able to handle the tasks that needed to be completed daily. InuYasha said that he would work out a schedule based on their training to make sure that each day was covered. He also silently returned their payment for the rest of the month since they could start right away.
 
 
Kagome was worried about how she would fit into the routine that was already established between InuYasha and Miroku but discovered that her fears were unfounded. First, she was told to continue helping Miroku with the growing class of nine to twelve year olds and to concentrate on her class with the ookami youkai. The female wolves were still uncomfortable coming in the same time as the males. So, with InuYasha's permission, Kagome set a schedule with them to come in early on Wednesday mornings before she had to go to her own classes and then on Saturday mornings before the males arrived for their class.
 
It was those early morning classes that led to Kagome spending Tuesday and Friday nights with her new lover with her mother's blessing. She said it would be better for Kagome to just stay at InuYasha's rather than to have to get up and be over there by the crack of dawn. Kagome didn't know what understanding InuYasha and Miroku had come to, but no comments were made about their arrangement - at least none that she ever heard. Even when he came over early on Saturday mornings as had been his custom, InuYasha and Kagome were both already dressed and in the kitchen drinking coffee while eating their breakfast. The only comment that Kagome ever overheard was when Miroku told InuYasha that he was truly happy to see him so relaxed and content. Kagome blushed at the thought of just how well sated she was on those Wednesday and Saturday mornings.
 
However, that did lead to the one embarrassing question from one of the ookami girls. The youngest of the three finally asked what Kagome had done to be forced to submit so often. When it dawned on Kagome what she was asking, she flushed bright red and was glad they were away from any of the others in the smaller training room. She had to explain that it was different for humans than it was for the ookami youkai, and it wasn't submission but an act of love. That led to a session that was more girl talk than training, but the ookami females understood a lot better when they were finished. They had never really been convinced that they would not be forced to submit to either InuYasha or Miroku at some point since they knew little to nothing about humans.
 
The girls didn't know that what they had been subjected to would be considered rape and was completely unacceptable by human standards. Kagome didn't know anything about inu youkai in comparison to ookami youkai, but she did reassure them that InuYasha followed human standards in that manner. They could safely train with him or Miroku and never have to worry about that. InuYasha's idea of punishment was more along the lines of the student cleaning the training floor alone rather than with the entire class.
 
By the time the girls left for the day, they understood that they really were safe at InuYasha's dojo. For not only would neither he nor Miroku abuse them in such a manner, he would not let the other males have contact with them so that they could make an excuse to do so later either. As a result when the three girls returned for the next class they had two additional girls with them. They were nervous as InuYasha watched them spar with Kagome, but he only made his notes and then left them so that he could discuss the new arrivals with her later in private.
 
Because Kagome's Saturday class was before the males arrived, and InuYasha was still firm about her not having any contact with them, she'd taken to archery practice again out back to pass the rest of the morning away. Besides, after working with first three and now five youkai, she found herself tiring faster than she liked. Her legs were strong because of years of running up and down the shrine staircase, so it was her upper body that she felt was holding her back. Back when she first started as a student, and InuYasha had mentioned she could use some strengthening, he had recommended the bow and arrow to her. She not only had to learn to fire it right-handed, but with her weaker left hand as well. As a result, she had kept at it until she could shoot accurately from either side. It wasn't easy and had taken her well over a year to master, but she'd persisted until she'd met her goal. Kagome had not practiced in some time and discovered that she had indeed lost some of the strength she'd built up. She had to release the tension on the bow before firing again. Her first arrow hadn't made it to the target because she wasn't able to draw the string back far enough with her left hand.
 
When Sango discovered that Kagome was working out in the same clearing she used for throwing the over-sized boomerang, she'd started coming about the same time. Kagome would fire at the target in one direction, while Sango hurled the boomerang in another. Since they weren't watching each other, Kagome found Sango's shout each time as she threw it a good distraction. She'd completely missed the target a few times until she got used to it. Rather than be annoyed, she decided you never know when something like that could come in handy and considered it a challenge, instead.
 
 
Several weeks had gone by and they were settled into their routine. The previous weekend had been the end of “Golden Week,” and Kagome had stayed at the shrine to help with all of the visitors. She missed her time with InuYasha since the entire week was a holiday for many. Even classes at the dojo were not held during that period because so many people traveled. Her mother had hugged her and thanked her before she whispered into her ear that it would just make InuYasha that much more appreciative when she was free again. Sango didn't have any plans, so she had come and stayed with them for the long weekend and even helped at the Shrine store. Buyo actually got some exercise attempting to chase Kirara around the grounds. They couldn't help but to laugh as the female taunted him while staying just out of reach.
 
It was the first Saturday after the long holiday, and things were pretty much back to normal.
 
“Hey, Sango,” Kagome said as the other girl entered the dressing room. “How are you doing?”
 
“Thinking about wearing short sleeves since it's starting to warm up out there,” the older girl replied. “How about you?”
 
“The same. It seems unusually warm, so I brought a change of clothes, just in case. I'm glad I did.”
 
Sango nodded as she pulled her shirt over her head and pulled out a t-shirt to put on instead. Kagome had noticed that Sango always made certain to keep her back away from her when she changed, but she had never given any indication that she thought anything about it. Stripping down to her sports bra and panties, she took out a tank top and pair of shorts and slipped into them. Placing everything she didn't need into her locker, Kagome turned back around. “Well, I'm ready when you are.”
 
“I'm set. Is your stuff in the office?” Sango asked.
 
“Yeah, I put my bow and arrows in there, so we can go around through the front door. InuYasha mentioned that the guys have been a bit rowdy after having last week off. I think he was trying to tell me that he and Miroku had their hands full without us going through the dojo,” Kagome responded.
 
“Those guys do seem kind of… predatory…” Sango said as she followed Kagome to the office.
 
“You have no idea,” Kagome answered.
 
Sango picked up her boomerang out of the corner. “Is that why you never work with them?”
 
“Partly. InuYasha said they come from a community that has very different ideas about male/female relations. He took them as students because they asked for help, but he doesn't trust them when it comes to girls.” Changing the subject, Kagome asked, “Is Kirara already out back?”
 
“Yes. She genuinely seems to enjoy coming here. She just meowed and hopped over the fence and went to explore. I'm really glad he doesn't mind me bringing her with me,” Sango replied.
 
Kagome actually giggled as they went through the front door. When Sango looked at her questionably, she said, “I just think it's kind of funny that they seem to get along so well. I mean, she's a cat, and he's half inu youkai. It seems like they'd be natural enemies.”
 
Kagome looked around as she felt something brush her consciousness. Deciding that it just must be the auras of the ookami youkai that were already inside, she shook herself and continued along the path with Sango beside her.
 
 
“He was really pissed when we came last week and none of them were here,” Ginta whispered to Hakkaku.
 
“How were we supposed to know about stupid human holidays?” his pack member answered. “He sure was mad when he found out the students had starting training here with that hanyou. And why does he want the human bitch? Did he ever say?”
 
Ginta shook his head. “He just said she would be sorry she turned him down at the tournament; she should have recognized the sheer power that he has as a full youkai. Are you sure she'll be out here to practice alone while the others are inside?”
 
“That's what I heard. I finally got one of them to talk, and he said the bitch never comes around them, and that the half-breed has made it clear that females are off-limits at his dojo. They've seen her come out to practice somewhere out here.” Hakkaku stood up to look around in order to see if there was any sign of their target yet.
 
Suddenly, two heads came within sight, and he ducked back down behind the bushes. “Shit, there are two of them! Which one are we supposed to take?”
 
Ginta whispered, “There's two of them, and two of us. How much trouble can two human bitches be? You grab one, and I'll grab the other.”
 
The two girls were taking their positions, backs towards each other in the clearing, when Hakkaku said eagerly, “Ready, let's go!”
 
The first mistake they made was in not determining who would snatch which girl, and they both found themselves trying to take Sango.
 
The second was not waiting for her to release the boomerang. Sango was preparing to hurl it when they came at her, so instead of throwing it, she used it to hit them in the stomach.
 
“Kagome!” Sango shouted as she slammed the weapon into them.
 
Kagome whirled and realized that the weak auras that she had felt were from these two. She ran to Sango's side, nocking an arrow when she reached her. The two wolves were back on their feet, circling them.
 
“What do you want!” Kagome demanded. “You are not part of the ookami youkai training here!”
 
“What do you mean?” Ginta asked.
 
“I think she means that she knows what we are,” Hakkaku responded. “Which means she knows it's fruitless to fight us; we're much stronger than puny humans!”
 
“What are they talking about, Kagome,” Sango asked, never taking her eyes off of their opponents.
 
“That they are wolf demons, like the others in the dojo. Except these have an agenda of their own, don't you?” Kagome answered. “Answer me - why are you here, and why are you attacking us?”
 
“We just do as we're told as you should, you bitch,” Ginta stated. “We can make this easy, or we can make it hard.”
 
“We will not give in to you, and we will not submit,” Kagome answered with confidence. “In fact, I think you're about to have your hands full.”
 
Kagome could feel what Sango could not - there was a large, warm aura approaching at an incredible speed from above. “Sango, whatever you do, don't move.”
 
That was the only warning the older girl received as a loud roar came from above. A huge fierce cat with two tails and teeth like a Saber-tooth tiger was coming at them, flames flickering around her legs and tails.
 
“Where the hell did that fire cat come from!” Ginta exclaimed as he and his partner both cowered away from her.
 
Another roar sent the wolves running when she landed in the clearing. She galloped after them long enough to make certain they were well on their way before returning to the two stunned girls.
 
“Don't worry, Sango; she won't hurt you,” Kagome said.
 
“I… I… I know… but how…” Sango asked, sounding confused.
 
“Kirara is a demon cat. InuYasha said she would reveal herself to you if her true form was ever needed.” Kagome was scratching the ear of the still large cat.
 
Kirara was rubbing against Sango, though she was careful not to knock her off of her feet. She yowled and stuck her head between Sango's legs.
 
“You want me to ride you?” Sango asked.
 
Kirara looked at Kagome and yowled again. “I think she wants the two of us to ride her, Kagome.”
 
“Are you certain?” Kagome asked. She knew the two somehow could communicate with each other, but she didn't really understand it.
 
“Something's up, let's go,” Sango said as she swung her leg over her back, right behind the giant cat's shoulders.
 
“Okay.” Kagome climbed up behind her, her bow and quiver slung across her back.
 
With no warning, Kirara launched into the air and headed for the dojo where they were met by students fleeing out the back door. Kirara roared, and after one look at the flying cat with the two ladies on her back, they scattered out of the way. Kagome and Sango ducked as they flew through the open doorway.
 
Kirara landed and padded silently towards the dojo floor. They could hear the shouting before they caught sight of what was going on.
 
Kouga was there and had his arm around Miroku's neck. Two of the students lay injured on the floor, apparently at the wrath of the ookami youkai. The others that had not fled out the back door stood pressed against the walls to either side, either curious, or too afraid to move. InuYasha was bristling, but did not dare make a move lest Kouga snap his best friend's neck as he was threatening to. Unlike a youkai, it would be fatal to a human.
 
“So, a worthless hanyou and a human dare to steal my students from me!” Kouga snarled, reaching out and grabbing one of the boys that had not fled from within his reach. “I should kill the lot of you! You're all useless!”
 
“We did not-”
 
“Shut the fuck up! I didn't ask you anything, human,” Kouga spat. He applied more pressure to Miroku's wind pipe so that he started to gasp for air.
 
“You! You fucking, worthless half-breed! You did this! You stole my students! None of you are worth the crap that you shit! I'm going to start with this one and then take care of the rest of you!” He slammed the wolf boy against the floor for emphasis.
 
InuYasha was furious. He had not asked these students to come to him but had accepted them because they needed his help. And now, Miroku was in danger. If he made a move towards him, Kouga would surely break his neck as he promised. It wouldn't be any more difficult than snapping a twig. Trying to reason with the angry youkai had not helped, though at the moment the hanyou wanted to wring Miroku's neck himself. Miroku had put himself in that position by trying to help the two students that received Kouga's blows upon his arrival.
 
Kagome slid silently off of Kirara's back and nocked an arrow in her bow. She hadn't cared much for Kouga when she first met him, but she could not even begin to explain the revulsion that it brought her to see him not only threatening Miroku, but the damage he had done to two of his own kind. From the odd angles they were laying, one appeared to have a broken arm, and the other's leg looked like it had been snapped. She could not remember ever feeling so angry. Raising her bow and pulling the arrow back to her shoulder, she said quietly but in a commanding voice, “Let him go - now.”
 
“And who the hell are you to tell me-” Kouga started as he looked up at where the order came from. He cut himself off in astonishment.
 
Kagome and her bow and arrow were totally engulfed in a glowing pink aura. The power that he had felt that day at the tournament had manifested itself - against him. The wolf demons that had followed Kirara back in along with those still on the floor all scrambled to make certain they were well out of her way.
 
“Release him, or I will shoot you,” she said. “Ask InuYasha. I'm a very good shot with this thing.”
 
“What about this one,” Kouga sneered as he pulled Miroku in front of him.
 
“My arrows only hit bad guys. That would be you, not Miroku. You are not welcome here. Let him go and leave. Your cohorts that tried to grab me and Sango already took off with their tails between their legs,” Kagome stated.
 
Kirara roared for emphasis and stalked forward, growling.
 
“Kouga, we did not steal your students. They came here of their own free will, wanting to learn. They were tired of being beaten and humiliated but not becoming any stronger,” InuYasha added. “We did not force them to come here but accepted them when they asked to study with us. They are learning there are ways other than yours.”
 
The wolf snarled again and pointed at Kagome. “Then why does SHE smell of you! She should be with me, not submitting to a piece of dogshit like you! I came today to take her for myself, and I still will!”
 
InuYasha almost snapped at that statement, and he could feel his youkai blood starting to boil at the threat against Kagome. He started to glow red with his own aura, making even Miroku's eyes grow wide at the sight.
 
Even through his rage, Kouga could feel the sheer power that was boiling underneath the surface of the hanyou. It was bad enough that the miko he'd wanted to claim as his own had an arrow pointed at him, but all kinds of warning bells were going off telling him that he'd gone too far with the hanyou. Deciding he'd rather live to fight another day, the wolf threw Miroku against the floor and took off for the door.
 
Kagome could feel the fury radiating from InuYasha and saw the aura as well as the markings on his face. What she didn't expect were the reddening eyes as he turned to look at her. Dropping her bow, she ran to his side and immediately reached up to run her thumbs across his cheeks. Following her instincts, she pulled his mouth to hers though there was nothing gentle about the kiss. It was bruising and feral, his elongated fangs nicking her lips and tongue and causing them to bleed. However, the taste of her blood in his mouth seemed to bring him back to himself, and his golden eyes had returned when he released her.
 
“I'm sorry,” he whispered as he ran the pad of his thumb across her bleeding lip.
 
“I'm not,” she answered. “Are you all right?”
 
He nodded. “You?”
 
Kagome answered, “Yeah.”
 
“Well, what about me?” they heard from the floor.
 
Startled, they looked to see Sango on her knees with Miroku's head in her lap. Kagome couldn't help but think that it was a good thing that, from the angle he was at, she couldn't see the grin on his face. Kirara was standing practically over them keeping everyone else in the building away.
 
“Miroku, are you all right?” InuYasha knelt next to him on one side, and Kirara made room for Kagome on the other.
 
“Just a little bruised I think, and my neck is sore. He has quite a grip, you know. You'd better check on them though.” Miroku leaned back against Sango's legs as he pointed at the two ookami youkai.
 
“Oh, shit,” InuYasha said as he moved to them. “At least they'll heal quickly. We need to get these bones set. It would be best to do it while they're still passed out.”
 
Miroku struggled to sit up but fell back, dizzy. “Well, I'm useless at the moment. You'll have to get a couple of the older boys to help you.”
 
“That won't be necessary,” a new voice interrupted.
 
InuYasha looked up to see the parents that had come to pick up their cubs at the end of training. InuYasha bowed his head. “I am truly sorry. Your cubs have been injured while in my care, but we do need to get these bones set before they are moved.”
 
He looked back up, expecting to see anger and hurt at their offspring being so grievously injured. But instead the male who spoke said, “We know you tried to protect them against Kouga, and that you had no reason to expect him to attack here. We had heard rumors but never thought he would actually do this. We had allowed him too much power in our lives, and he has now gone mad with rage at losing it. We will take steps to insure that nothing like this happens again. Now if you will set the bone, we will hold them down.”
 
InuYasha nodded as he took the hand of the broken arm of the first boy. Two of the adults held him in place and InuYasha gave a quick, hard jerk so that you could hear the bones pop.
 
All three of the humans present winced at the sound.
 
“Kagome, would you go out back and find at least four pieces of wood we can use as temporary splints to hold them until they get home?”
 
Kagome nodded and rose. She felt grateful that Kirara decided to accompany her out back of the building.
 
While she did that, InuYasha moved to the youngster with the broken leg. “This is going to take more force. Are you ready?”
 
This time three of them latched on to his body and held on. Nodding, InuYasha pulled until they heard the bones crunch. Sango and Miroku both paled at the sickening sound.
 
Kagome had returned with four slats and then ran to the office for a roll of gauze. The two both started to regain consciousness as their broken limbs were wrapped.
 
“There - I think they should mend well though you should have your own doctors look at them when you get home,” InuYasha said.
 
The adults nodded in agreement, and by now the cubs had all gathered around to watch in silence.
 
“Thank you, Sensei,” the mother of the boy with the broken leg said. “I think we will stay home on Wednesday to let things settle down, but we will be back next Saturday if you will still allow us to come.”
 
InuYasha stood and bowed. “If they wish to come and learn, then I am willing to teach them. None of this was their fault.”
 
All of the ookami youkai around them bowed and said, “Thank you, Sensei,” and then silently filed out of the dojo.
 
Once they were gone, Miroku said, “Well, I see that Kirara revealed herself to you. I'm glad you decided to bring her with you.”
 
Sango almost dropped his head to the floor. “What is this? Did everyone know what she was but me?”
 
Kagome sat on the floor as Kirara shifted in front of them to her smaller form.
 
InuYasha squatted down to their level and said, “Sango, you should know you aren't working with exactly normal people here. You know I am a hanyou, so I could detect what she is because she carries an aura that other youkai can pick up. It can also be picked up by those with spiritual powers.”
 
“Spiritual powers?” she questioned. “Kagome… when you had that arrow pointed at him…”
 
“What?” Kagome asked. She didn't realize anything unusual had happened.
 
“You were glowing pink along with your bow,” Sango said. “I've never seen anything like it. But then InuYasha was doing the same thing, but red. Was that your demonic side?”
 
“Keh?” InuYasha responded. He knew he could feel his blood boiling, but didn't know that it did anything to make anyone see it.
 
“Could we hold off on this discussion until later? We have more students coming, and I have a tremendous headache,” Miroku suggested. “Maybe we can have dinner together tonight, away from prying ears and eyes.”
 
“The monk's right. The other students will be coming in for their afternoon classes. Kagome, do you feel all right?” InuYasha asked.
 
Kagome nodded in response.
 
“Okay. For now, I think Miroku is a danger to himself after that wolf cut his air off. Sango, will you please help him up to the house and stay with him? I don't want to leave him alone after being choked and hit on the head. Kirara, will you go with them and help keep an eye on him for me? Kagome, you stay and assist me with the class coming in,” the hanyou directed. “Everyone clear?”
 
Miroku tried to nod but instead clutched his head. “Oh, that hurts…”
 
Kirara transformed back to her large size and ran her rough tongue up the side of Miroku's face.
 
Miroku wiped his face. “What was that for?”
 
Sango giggled. “I think she feels sorry for you and is going to let you ride her if you want.”
 
“Only if you come with me so I don't fall off,” he answered.
 
InuYasha rolled his eyes. Even when Miroku was hurt some things would never change.
 
“All right, get going you two. We'll come up after classes are over,” the hanyou told them.
 
“Is it okay if we find something for lunch?” Miroku asked.
 
“Yes, just get out of here. We'll see you later,” InuYasha answered.
 
Miroku couldn't stop grinning as the fire cat padded silently out of the dojo with both charges on her back. However, he was disappointed that Sango was behind him rather than in front of him.
 
InuYasha shook his head. He hoped Miroku didn't do anything to make Sango kill him before he and Kagome finished the afternoon classes. He suspected that she could do as much damage as the wolf if angered.
 
The hanyou was brought back to the present by a gentle touch to his hand. “InuYasha?”
 
“I'm okay. Thanks, Kagome. I guess we'd better get this floor cleaned up before the others come in.”
 
Kagome nodded and joined him. Wondering what it meant, she was thinking about his partial transformation as they went to work wiping down the training floor.
 
 
To be continued…
 
********************
The second round of InuYasha Fanfiction Guild Nominations for the Third Quarter of 2007 (July - September) continue through Saturday, November 10th. Thank you very much to Mage Delbene, Shannah, Patty, malitiadixie, Farawayeyes , Quirkyslayer,  Lady Griddlebone,  thatsmyfiasco,  Deborah, Priestess Skye, adeaneri, stonesneatstuff (aka knittingknots), LavenderRose, Ravenreux akapiratequeen and dreaming_trees for the nominations and seconds received, or for even trying to (but someone beat you to it). I really appreciate it! I'm also very grateful that everything still eligible has now been seconded. Thanks so much to each of you.
 
Best AU/AR - Minoue
Best Drama - Minoue
Best Inu/Kag Romance - Minoue
Best Lemon - Come Undone
Best Oneshot - Art is Life
Best Inu/Kag Romance - Art is Life
Best Vignette - Reminders on the Wind
Best Canon - Reminders on the Wind
Best Characterization - Reminders on the Wind (Kagome)