InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Minoue ❯ Unsettling Discoveries ( Chapter 28 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimers: I do not own InuYasha or any of the manga/anime characters. They belong to the wonderful genius Rumiko Takahashi. Any original characters do belong to me.
 
AN: Thank you very much to inufan625 for acting as my beta once again. An additional thank you goes to Knittingknots for her help as well. I greatly appreciate the time they've taken to help make me a better writer and this a better story.
 
Thank you very much for the reviews. I read each and every one of them, and greatly appreciate those of you that took the time to leave one. It also inspires me to write more continuing the story. If you have left a review, please check my LiveJournal for a response at http://doggieearlover.livejournal.com/221840.html .
 
 
 
Minoue
 
Chapter 28: Unsettling Discoveries
 
Sango ran blindly from the hospital room, pulling her cell phone from her purse as she fought back her tears. She had been completely blindsided by the information Kagura had given them but wouldn't - no couldn't - believe it until she called the hospital for herself.
 
Her eyes were burning so that she could barely read the tiny screen of her phone as she searched her short list of contacts for the number. When she found it, she immediately pressed the “send” button and listened to the phone ring.
 
“Nurse Sasaki speaking.”
 
“Nurse Sasaki, this is Takayama Sango. Why didn't you-” but she was abruptly cut off.
 
“Just a minute,” she heard softly but urgently at the other end of the line. A few moments later, the nurse was back. “I had to get rid of the other nurse that was here for a few minutes. I'm not supposed to talk to you; they said they would fire me if I did. I argued with them, and I'm sure your brother's records were tampered with. He was released ten days ago to your Uncle Naraku.”
 
“My uncle!” Sango wanted to scream, though she was speaking in an anguished whisper. “I don't have an uncle!”
 
“According to Dr. Kuromotou you do, and he's the one that approved the release and ordered us not to inform you or speak to you if you called. I knew something wasn't right about it, but I didn't know what to do. They took your brother's files and locked them all in his office. They also took every scrap of paper that had anything about him or you on it. I tried to find a number for you from home, but I couldn't.”
 
Sango took a deep breath and released it slowly, trying to control her anger. After all, this woman was trying to help her as much as she was able to. “You mentioned Dr. Kuromotou. What happened to Dr. Tsukino?”
 
“He was murdered along with his family over a month ago. Someone's coming, I have to go.” The phone clicked, and the line went dead. Sango just stood there and stared at her open cell phone like she was willing it to speak to her further.
 
 
Miroku had followed Sango out of the room but waited a respectable distance away for her to complete her call. As she stood and gazed at the phone in her hand, he cautiously approached her. “Sango?”
 
After flipping the phone closed her hand dropped slowly to her side. Sango looked almost robotic as she turned to face him. “She was right - they… they… they released my brother,” she said eventually in a monotone voice. “What do I do? How do I find him?” She was talking more to herself than the man in front of her.
 
“Sango, you aren't alone,” Miroku told her as he closed the distance between them. “We'll do whatever we can to help you.”
 
She slowly lifted her head to meet his eyes. She blinked, trying to hold back her tears.
 
“Sango, it's okay if you… if you need to cry,” Miroku suggested, not knowing what else to say. “But don't give up hope. Kagura told Sesshomaru-sama that she'll give him all of the details that she can about Naraku and where he is holed up. He'd also like for you to tell us everything that you are willing to that you can remember about your brother and the attack. I know it won't be easy, but we want to help.”
 
“Help?” she sounded like a lost little girl, not the strong woman that he knew her to be.
 
“Yes, let us help you,” he said softly. “We're here for you - I'm here for you.”
 
Her knees gave way, and Miroku caught her, wrapping his arms around her and pulling her body against his. “You aren't alone, Sango, not anymore.”
 
Exhausted both emotionally and physically, she fisted her hands in his shirt and allowed her tears to fall.
 
Miroku rested his chin on top of her head and rubbed her back in an attempt to soothe her. He mentally slapped himself when his hand tried to stray too far down. Gently, he moved it back up and continued the circular motions as she sobbed against his chest. He felt the anger rise within himself at the man who had caused her such pain. Miroku wanted nothing more than to protect her and ease her suffering. It seemed so natural for him to kiss the top of her head before resting his cheek against her hair as he held her close.
 
 
Kagome was still wide-eyed as she watched first Sango and then Miroku run from the hospital room. Her heart was pounding in her chest, and she was certain that all of the youkai on the floor could hear it.
 
“Kagome?” InuYasha said softly, trying to get her attention.
 
“InuYasha.” She looked up at him, her face flushed with worry. “I… the…”
 
He gave a small shake of his head to let her know “not here” amongst the full youkai - and their youkai hearing. He was also thinking that he had heard of the Shikon no Tama before - if he could just remember where. “Let's go check on Sango,” he suggested.
 
Kagome nodded in agreement and followed him out of the room.
 
They found the other couple in the courtyard. Miroku was still holding Sango against him, gently rubbing her back with one hand while the other supported her head. Her body had finally stopped heaving from her sobs. She had released his shirt and wrapped her arms around him instead, accepting the comfort and support that he offered. Miroku did not release her when Kagome and InuYasha approached. Instead, he continued his gentle ministrations.
 
“The hospital confirmed what Kagura told us - they released her brother to a man claiming to be their uncle ten days ago,” Miroku informed them.
 
“I don't think we should discuss anything here,” InuYasha suggested. “Too many strangers around us. I'm going to tell Sesshomaru that we won't talk until we get home.” Without waiting for them to agree, the hanyou turned and went back inside, leaving the three of them where they were.
 
Miroku noticed how pale Kagome was. “Kagome, are you feeling all right?”
 
Startled, she looked at him. “Not here,” she whispered. “InuYasha is right.”
 
 
Once everything was settled that Sesshomaru would talk to Kagura later after she was more fully recovered, they found themselves headed back towards the dojo in the car that originally brought them. Since Sesshomaru had the foresight to have Jaken take Rin home, it was just the two couples. The Daiyoukai would meet them as soon as he had several other things squared away.
 
 
The four of them - InuYasha, Kagome, Miroku and Sango - were waiting patiently, if not without worry, sitting on cushions on the floor at the low table in the sunken room in the middle of the hanyou's home. As always, it was his preferred retreat when there was something serious to think about or to discuss. However, at the moment they were silent, awaiting the arrival of Sesshomaru so that they would only have to say everything once. The only sounds were the shuffling of those trying to get more comfortable, and the scrapes and clatter of the cups of tea being set down or moved around on the table when they weren't being sipped from. The quiet was anything but tranquil and instead was almost suffocating as each considered what had happened.
 
“He's here,” InuYasha said, breaking the silence. He rose and returned a few moments later with Sesshomaru following him.
 
InuYasha sat down next to Kagome and allowed his brother to have the head of the table. The Daiyoukai remained silent, so the hanyou suggested, “Sango, you probably should go first, and tell Sesshomaru what happened to you. Then we'll go from there.”
 
She nodded and took a deep breath, and she then retold the story of the attack. However, this time she was ready to continue further. “What I didn't - couldn't - tell you before was that it was my brother, Kohaku, who attacked and killed my father and the others.”
 
“Sango,” Kagome said softly in comprehension and compassion. “You mean…”
 
“Yes, it was my only brother. However, they said he was brainwashed into doing it. No one believes that he did it on his own. He was always such a kind and gentle boy…” Sango's voice trailed away. She looked down and realized that she had been practically crushing Miroku's hand the entire time. She hadn't even realized that they were holding hands. He gave her a gentle smile and squeezed her fingers.
 
Sesshomaru had been listening intently and finally spoke, “Do you know anything of the Shikon no Tama that Kagura said Naraku was looking for?”
 
Sango raised her head to meet his intense golden eyes. It was fortunate that she was used to the hanyou's, or they would have alarmed her. “Not very much. My father once told me a little about it. He said that it was too powerful for our family to continue to try and hide, so my great-grandfather took it to a shrine where it could be more adequately protected. There was a powerful priestess there, and she was supposed to cleanse it of any darkness and then seal it with sacred sutra to keep it hidden.” Sango suddenly gasped. “Oh gods!” She turned to Kagome before she exclaimed in recognition, “Those trinkets your Jii-chan was selling as good luck charms! I never thought about it until now.”
 
The little color that was remaining in Kagome's face drained away. Her entire family might be in danger because her grandfather couldn't keep a secret like he was supposed to.
 
“Kagome,” InuYasha said gently as he squeezed her hand. “That's where I'd heard of it before, wasn't it?”
 
The miko looked up from her cup of tea that she had been staring at, and looked from one face to another as her eyes trailed around the table. Slowly, she nodded. “It was brought to my great-grandmother many years ago to keep safe. Then a few years ago Jii-chan decided the shrine needed a new gimmick, so he started promoting it as a jewel for good fortune - one that would grant any wish. He had all of those key-chains made up to sell as good luck charms. He showed me the box the real one is sealed in once. It's still sealed with sutra and put away in one of the storage sheds. But if they figure out that it's there… that it's tied to the shrine at all…” Kagome's voice trailed away with worry before she added, “My whole family is in danger, aren't they?”
 
“I would suggest that we go to the shrine and remove any of the souvenirs that are related to the Shikon no Tama and then sit down with your family and tell them what's going on. It would appear that Naraku or those working for him have not heard anything about the ties to the shrine since Kagura did not mention it, and she has not been there. We do need to find out if anyone has been asking more than the usual questions though,” Miroku suggested. “Sesshomaru-sama, did Kagura tell you anything more after we left?”
 
“She said that she will tell us everything about Naraku and his hideout that she can remember. However, she still needs to recover before she will be up to giving us a detailed statement. The doctors said that she should be in much better shape by tomorrow. Normally I would not interfere in the affairs of humans, but this one has crossed the line by kidnapping and using youkai. He became my concern when he did so. And while she would not say what he did, he must have done something horrific to her younger sister. She wants to rescue her, but said Kanna would be better off dead than what he's been using her for. She's afraid he's well on his way to brain-washing Kanna as he did the human boy. Kagura stated it would be better to take the risk and get them out of there than leave them alone, thinking that they are safe.” Sesshomaru fell silent.
 
“Did she say if she had seen Kohaku?” Sango asked quietly.
 
Sesshomaru answered, “She had not been back to the hideout in several weeks. She was calling in to report to him regularly. Apparently, he was ecstatic when they released your brother from the hospital into his care, and he told her all about it. Something about a family reunion, she said.”
 
Sango's eyes flashed with anger. “He'll regret the day he ever met me when that happens. I'll kill him with my bare hands if I have to. I have to save my brother - he never deserved any of this.”
 
“I have no doubt that you will do what is necessary when the time comes. However, for the immediate problem, I suggest we go to the shrine and first take care of any evidence there,” the Inuyoukai suggested.
 
InuYasha couldn't help but to snort.
 
“Is there a problem with my logic, Little Brother?”
 
The hanyou grinned. “The problem will be a youkai telling the old man what to do at his own shrine. At least he'll be trying to purify someone besides me for a change.”
 
“Indeed.”
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
Naraku strode purposely into Kanna's suite after shoving the door hard to the side. He stood in the middle of the room, staring first at the table where he thought he'd left the remote control. Not finding it, his eyes continued to roam around the area, looking for where it might have disappeared to.
 
“Naraku! You've come back! I knew you would!” Kanna said excitedly, coming through the door of the bedroom wearing only a yukata that she had not tied closed. “You want me, don't you?” she asked, trying to sound coy.
 
Her captor did not answer, but instead his eyes finally found what they had been searching for. Pointing, he asked, “What is that doing there?”
 
The girl ran over and picked up the remote control from where it was still laying by the leg of the table. “I… I… I was upset with Kagura for making you mad, so I threw it,” she admitted when she presented it to him.
 
“What do you mean?” his eyes narrowed in anger at her. “Is that all you did?”
 
“I punished her for you! I knew the only reason you haven't come to see me is because she hasn't checked in like she was supposed to. I wanted to remind her that she's supposed to call you every week. That's all,” the girl said.
 
“She has called in nearly every day until three days ago,” Naraku stated, venom in his voice. “What did you do with this?”
 
“I zapped her, just like you did! I wanted to make sure she knew you were mad!” Kanna stated with pride. “And now you are here to see me!”
 
Naraku stepped up to her and backhanded her across the face, sending the youkai girl crashing into the dining table. “You fool! You either killed her, or you managed to destroy the defibulator or the transmitter. We've lost all contact with her with no way to trace her. If she is alive, we'll have to wait for her to come back on her own to report or call in. How could you be so fucking stupid?”
 
“But… but Naraku…” Kanna practically whined.
 
He had his hand wrapped so tightly around the useless remote control that his knuckles had turned white. He stopped in the door on the way back out and did not even turn around to look at her when he spoke, “I only came when I knew that Kagura would be here to witness what I did with you. I have not come to fuck you because she was not here to see it. I have little other use for you other than to help keep your sister in line. If I were you, I wouldn't do anything else to piss me off. If Kagura is dead, then I don't need you alive any more. I suggest that you remember that. Now start packing. It's time for us to move.”
 
“Yes, Naraku,” she answered softly, all trace of emotion once again gone from her voice.
 
 
Naraku was furious. He could not be certain that Kagura was dead. If she was not, then she may have betrayed him and possibly found help. He would have to leave his perfect hideout and find another, which likely wouldn't be nearly as comfortable as this one was. After all, it had everything, including satellite television that allowed him to keep up with what was going on in the world as well as several computers with high speed internet. Livid that he had to leave it all behind he called, “Kohaku? Are you ready?”
 
“Yes, Uncle Naraku.” The boy's eyes looked lifeless, or at the very least, soulless. “Where are we going?”
 
“Kagura was searching for leads in Tokyo, so I think we shall move closer to there. Let's get going, shall we?”
 
The boy followed Naraku to the long garage where the others were waiting. They loaded their belongings and everything they were taking with them into the waiting vehicles. Kohaku was the only one that seemed to notice the strange girl in white observing the activities as they prepared to leave. Curious, he went over to introduce himself to her.
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
The aged priest was both annoyed and worried. He had not even considered the possible repercussions of advertising the Shikon no Tama at the shrine. To him, it was just another gimmick to help bring in a few yen to support the place. And if people believed it would bring them good luck, then maybe it would. At first he had argued, saying they were harmless and nothing could come of them. That was before a tearful Sango broke down and told him what had happened to her family because of the sacred jewel. A madman was looking for it, and he would kill anyone that got in his way of obtaining it. Or rather, even worse, he used others to do all of his dirty work while he sat back and watched. If he managed to trace the jewel to the shrine, then he would come after the Higurashis just as assuredly as he had come after and destroyed her family. The old man had not even argued with the Daiyoukai when he insisted on placing at least two youkai guards at the shrine twenty-four hours a day. That way if anyone suspicious came sniffing around, the shrine and family there would be protected, and Sesshomaru could be alerted right away.
 
Jii-chan was sad and angry as he destroyed all of the shrine souvenirs related to the Shikon no Tama. However, he decided to treat them as he did those good luck charms that were left at the shrine at the beginning of the New Year, as visitors tossed away the old and started out with the fresh and new. Unfortunately, it wouldn't take care of all of the ones that had been sold to the patrons that came there. He said a prayer to protect his family and hoped that his foolishness wouldn't bring them any harm.
 
 
To be continued…