InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Minoue ❯ Uninvited ( Chapter 51 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimers: I do not own InuYasha or any of the manga/anime characters. They belong to the wonderful genius Rumiko Takahashi. Any original characters do belong to me.
 
AN: Thank you very much to inufan625 for acting as my beta once again. An additional thank you goes to Knittingknots for her help as well. I greatly appreciate the time they've taken to help make me a better writer and this a better story.
 
Sorry for the long wait, but sometimes real life gets in the way of writing fanfiction. In any case, here is the next installment. Your thoughtful reviews are greatly appreciated.
 
 
 
 
Minoue
 
Chapter 51: Uninvited
 
“Well, are you ready?” Kagome asked. They had used her room to change into the traditional miko robes to wear for the ceremony. “You know you did just fine during the wedding yesterday. You'd never know that you hadn't helped with one before.”
 
“I'm just glad I didn't do anything to screw it up for that couple. They seemed so nice - I wouldn't want to be the one to ruin it for them,” Sango responded. “I'm really glad we got to practice Saturday and again yesterday morning before we had to perform at the real deal.”
 
Kagome looked at her shyly. “I hope when it's time for me to marry InuYasha, you would act as the miko for our ceremony. It would mean a lot to me.”
 
“If you'll help out at ours if Miroku and I decide on a Shinto ceremony. I have to admit I'm leaning towards one - it's so much simpler and quicker than a Christian one. Plus, it's not like I have a lot of people to invite,” she answered. “Though I guess we'd better get through this afternoon first. Do you think he'll show?”
 
“I can't imagine that he won't,” Kagome replied, not having to ask who she was referring to. “He'll have everything he wants in the same place at the same time.”
 
“You don't think he'll suspect a trap?” Sango nervously smoothed the front of her garment.
 
“InuYasha said that he's the type that's so arrogant that even if he does, he'll think he's smart enough to outwit us all. Plus, he wants the Shikon no Tama badly, and for whatever reason, apparently he wants Kagura and you as well. Do you have any idea why he's fixated on you?” That was a piece of information that Kagura had given them, though even she didn't know why.
 
Sango shook her head. “I have no idea other than I'm supposed to be dead and I'm not. He's probably pissed because I'm the one that got away.”
 
“I guess we'll find out soon enough. We'd better go down so we can be useful and help Jii-chan get everything ready. We'll be outside on the grounds today rather than in the Shrine. Sesshomaru didn't want to risk destroying anything that might be irreplaceable. Plus, he thinks it may throw Naraku off.” Kagome fell silent.
 
“How so?” Sango asked softly as they left her room and started down the stairs.
 
“They're pretty certain at least one of his men was here scouting out the shrine. They'll be assuming the ceremony will be taking place indoors like the others have. They're hoping to throw him off-guard from the beginning if it's not set up like he expects.”
 
“You two look lovely once again.” Mama was waiting for them at the bottom of the stairs. “Do you need anything before you go?”
 
“Maybe a stiff drink,” Sango said under her breath, causing Mama to raise an eyebrow.
 
“My mouth is so dry - I think I'll get a glass of water before we go out,” Kagome said. After she took a cup from the cabinet and filled it she turned around. “Mama, promise me that you and Souta will stay in the house. I don't want either of you near that madman when he comes. He likes grabbing kids and using them as hostages, so you've got to keep Souta away.”
 
“What about Rin?” Souta had joined them in the kitchen.
 
“Sesshomaru doesn't like it, but he's afraid if he doesn't include her, it will look suspicious from the outset. He's going to have his hands full keeping both her and Kagura safe. We don't want to have to worry about Naraku getting his hands on you, too. Promise me you'll stay in the house until we tell you it's safe.”
 
“All right, sis, I'll stay here,” Souta responded with his fingers crossed behind his back. “I don't want you and Sensei to worry. Besides, someone needs to protect Mama. Since you guys will be busy, I guess that leaves me.”
 
Kagome set her glass down and hugged her brother. “Thanks, Souta. I don't know what I'd do if anything happened to either of you.”
 
“Hey, don't get all mushy,” Souta said as he wiggled out of her grasp. “And don't let him get his paws on you, either.”
 
“That's the plan,” InuYasha stated as he entered the kitchen. “And listen to your sister - you need to stay here in the house. My brother will have someone assigned to protect you. These guys don't play by any rules - they'll do anything to get what they want. We don't want them to get their hands on you.”
 
“All right, Sensei.” Souta let his hands fall to his side. When he considered it, he really didn't want to be the one to give the monster they were after the upper hand.
 
“Are you ready?” the hanyou asked Kagome and Sango. “It's a little past two o'clock, so we should get going. We don't want to keep them waiting.”
 
They nodded and Kagome led them out of the kitchen and the house.
 
 
The altar had been set up in a clearing on the shrine grounds, away from the sacred tree, the shrine itself, and the old well that was also considered sacred. While Sesshomaru had informed Jii-chan that anything that might be damaged would be repaired or replaced, the inuyoukai also understood that some things were not replaceable. While the shrine could be rebuilt, the tree and well were ancient and could not be restored if anything happened to them. Fairly certain that Naraku would have no problem destroying such things, considering how easy it was for him to snuff out a life, they had agreed and set up the altar away from them. It would also make it more difficult for anyone to sneak up on them in the setting they had selected.
 
 
InuYasha walked Kagome and Sango to the altar. They had decided that Miroku would stand on Kagura's side since she had no one there for her. InuYasha would stand along with Rin on the side of Sesshomaru's family.
 
“Oh, fuck,” InuYasha swore. “What is she doing here? Kagome, Sango, stay with Jii-chan.”
 
The hanyou hurried to the building where the wedding party was waiting for the ceremony to begin. He saw Sesshomaru and Kagura emerge with Rin and Miroku behind them. “We have unexpected company,” he said softly as he turned and fell in line alongside Rin. Miroku dropped back and took up the rear.
 
“What is she doing here?” Kagura asked as her eyes fell on the uninvited visitor.
 
“I have no idea,” Sesshomaru responded.
 
And elegant older woman in a beautiful kurotomesode decorated with a pattern that included a pair of shishi, embroidered in shades of silver, gold, bronze and red, approached the temporary altar. She glided so smoothly it was almost as if she were floating on air rather than walking.
 
Jii-chan, Kagome and Sango noticed that the wedding party had stopped and that all of their eyes were fixated on something. All three heads turned and joined the others in staring.
 
“I'm sorry, ma'am, but the shrine is…” Jii-chan stopped himself as he considered her attire. “Are you here for the ceremony?”
 
“Has it started yet?” she asked.
 
“No, we were just getting ready to begin,” the priest replied. “Are you here for the bride or the groom?”
 
“Oh, the groom, I suppose,” the graceful woman responded. “Where do I go for this foolishness?”
 
Confused, Jii-chan waved towards the side for Sesshomaru's family.
 
Looking bored, she went over and sat down on the bench.
 
 
Naraku had put his arm out and stopped Kikyou, Kohaku, and Kanna. An older lady in formal traditional dress was climbing the steps of the shrine and he wanted to give her the opportunity to take her place before they made their appearance.
 
“How does she do that?” Kohaku whispered.
 
“Do what?” Kanna replied.
 
“Move like that. I've never seen anyone so graceful,” he said.
 
“Not human, anyway,” Kanna agreed.
 
Before Kohaku had time to ponder what she'd said, Naraku had motioned them to move forward and start up the long flight of stairs.
 
 
Kikyou glanced nervously around as they neared the top of the steps. She knew Bankotsu and his men were already on the grounds somewhere, having taken their places during the night so as not to be noticed. However, she hadn't had a chance to talk to him so she didn't know where he would be positioned. She hoped he'd found a safe spot that wasn't too cold and uncomfortable during the night.
 
Bankotsu thought he'd found the perfect spot within the shrine building itself. However, he was confused at the lack of activity as the morning wore on. Finally, he ventured from his hiding place and made his way to where he could look outdoors and discovered that all of the activity was across the grounds from him. He didn't dare attempt to contact any of his men. He'd ordered radio silence because he didn't want any of them to accidentally be caught before the fireworks started. He'd noticed several men patrolling the grounds and chasing away reporters as necessary. So, once he knew everyone was in place, he ordered them to turn their radios off so there could be no accidental exposure of their locations. He just had to hope that they were able to see that the location of the ceremony was not what they expected and planned for.
 
As they moved past the seating area, InuYasha and Rin moved to the groom's side as Miroku fell out of line to move to the bride's. Jii-chan had started the purification of the betrothed couple and the guests when Sesshomaru's mother yawned and asked, “When do we get to the part about `does anyone oppose this union'?”
 
Flustered, Priest Higurashi responded, “There is no such declaration in the Shinto ceremony. That would be if they had a Christian ceremony.”
 
A new voice added, “Well, there should be. We wish to oppose this marriage as well.”
 
Naraku approached with his `guests'.
 
“Kanna,” Kagura whispered as she saw her sister, looking so young and vulnerable in the white dress with a white flower in her hair.
 
Kagome grabbed Sango's hand when she saw the boy that was with them.
 
Sango couldn't help but to gasp. “Kohaku.”
 
“I'm sorry, sir, but this is a closed private ceremony. I'm afraid you'll have to leave,” Jii-chan boldly said.
 
“Leave? I'm afraid I'm not leaving without my wife,” Naraku insisted. “Kagura, dear, have you really forgotten about me and your children?” He waved his hand at Kanna and Kohaku.
 
“I'm fairly certain I would remember, or at least feel it, if I were married and had kids - especially as old as those two are,” Kagura hissed in return. “You are not my husband.”
 
“There have been plenty of opportunities for you to step forward if you were indeed her family,” Sesshomaru added. “So, who are you really and why are you here? And why did you bring her with you?” The inuyoukai indicated Kikyou. “What does she have to do with any of this?”
 
“You cut right to the chase, don't you?” Naraku laughed. “Very well - I'm here to claim what's mine and what should be. Somewhere,” he waved his hand at the many buildings on the grounds, “is the Shikon no Tama. I have come for it. Kikyou is here with me because she helped me plan this little outing today. She is here to help me obtain the Sacred Jewel.”
 
Kikyou furrowed her brow. It was the first she'd heard of it - in fact she really had no idea as to why he'd insisted she come along.
 
“And if we refuse to simply hand over the Jewel of Four Souls? It hasn't been kept here for generations to give to the first lunatic that asks for it,” Jii-chan courageously announced.
 
“Kukukuku.” Naraku pointed at Sango. “Ask her what I'm capable of - or at least what her brother is.”
 
“No… you wouldn't… not again.” Sango began to shake with anger.
 
He shrugged. “What's a few more bodies lying around? It's not like a bunch of humans and one weak youkai can stand up to me.”
 
“Youkai? You mean hanyou, don't you?” InuYasha stepped forward.
 
“Pffft. I wasn't even counting you - I was talking about her.” Naraku pointed at Kagura.
 
“Oh, really?” Sesshomaru's mother interjected, looking not so bored for the moment. “You say she's a weak youkai?”
 
“Isn't that why you are in opposition to the marriage?” Naraku asked.
 
She shrugged her shoulders.
 
“I believe my mother would resist my going through this ceremony with any female,” the Daiyoukai offered.
 
“You mean the director of the National Art Center, one of the most prominent citizens in Tokyo, is just a mama's boy who can't cut the apron strings?” Naraku burst out laughing. “This should be even easier than I thought! None of you can stand up to me!”
 
They heard fabric ripping as tentacles tore through the back of Naraku's clothing. The appendages started waving around menacingly as he turned to directly face Jii-chan, Kagome and Sango. However, the reaction he received wasn't quite what he was expecting. He thought they'd all start running frantically in fear - straight into the arms of Bankotsu's waiting men.
 
“Get back!” InuYasha shouted as he pulled his sword free of its sheathe and jumped between Naraku and Jii-chan, Kagome and Sango. He took a swipe at the tentacles that came too near him for comfort. “Don't let him catch you!”
 
“What the fuck is this, Naraku?” Kagura opened her fan and stepped forward.
 
The evil part demon stopped in his tracks and spun to face her. “I don't recall telling you my name.”
 
“You knew mine. It would seem only fair that I would remember yours. You are not my husband. You are an evil, obsessed man that has kidnapped my sister and Sango's brother in order to get your way. You never do anything yourself. You prefer to hide behind women and children while others do your dirty work.” Kagura flicked her fan and sliced off the tentacles that were trying to get behind her. While she held the fan in front of her face and repelled Naraku's attack, she turned her head and whispered to Sesshomaru, “Tell Rin to get out of here - tell her to run as soon as she can get clear.”
 
“Bankotsu! Where are you?” Naraku shouted. Things weren't going exactly as planned and he wanted his mercenary with him.
 
They heard a small explosion followed by a loud crash that caused nearly everyone to turn in that direction, including Naraku.
 
“Run!” Kagura mouthed to Kanna while everyone's attention was elsewhere. At the same time, Sesshomaru sent Rin scurrying for cover.
 
Kikyou had to stop herself from shouting Bank's name when she saw him emerge from the dust. He was wearing fatigues and combat boots, covered in grime from head to toe, and carrying an automatic assault rifle in the crook of his arm.
 
“Sorry, Boss. There was this annoying guard I had to take care of first. He shouldn't bother us any more.”
 
“What did you do? Blow a building up with him?” Kagome snapped. “And did you have to kill him?” Though she had no idea who it was other than it must have been one of Sesshomaru's men that got caught.
 
Bankotsu shrugged his shoulders. “I just did what I had to. So what's the plan, Boss?”
 
“I want that jewel before anyone else disappears,” Naraku snarled. “It looks like Kanna and that Rin girl managed to vanish. If I didn't know better, I'd think you did it on purpose.”
 
“Of course he did it on purpose. He destroyed Shrine property and killed a man,” Kagome responded, her fists balled at her sides as she stepped forward. “But at least some good came of it if two innocent children got away.”
 
Naraku shot a tentacle towards her, but InuYasha was too fast and sliced it away. Holding his battered sword with both hands he stated, “Keep back, and let me protect you!”
 
Tessaiga pulsed in his hands. “What the fuck?” he muttered to himself as the weapon pulsated again.
 
Sesshomaru's mother crossed her legs and cocked an eyebrow. Propping her chin in her hand she said, “Well, this might get interesting.”
 
As Naraku attacked with more tentacles, the sword turned from the rusty, beaten blade into a huge fang trimmed with fur at the base of the hilt. Grinning at the sudden transformation, InuYasha leapt into the air and sliced through the tentacles trying to capture Kagome. He grabbed her and jumped back out of Naraku's immediate reach.
 
Unfortunately, it also released a cloud of miasma.
 
Coughing, Kagura bit out, “What in the hell did you absorb? Some kind of swamp creature?”
 
None of them saw the tentacle that he sent across the ground under the dark cloud until it was almost on the wind sorceress.
 
“Kagura!” Sesshomaru shouted as he jumped in front of her. “Don't let him capture you!”
 
However, a second tentacle appeared from nowhere and wrapped around Sesshomaru's ankle. “But now, I have you!” Naraku laughed. He whipped Sesshomaru up and then bashed him repeatedly against the hard ground. When the body went limp, he threw him aside. “So what will you do now, Kagura?”
 
Kikyou thought that Naraku was distracted with the others and that it would be a good time to make her escape. She started to back away when she suddenly felt one of the appendages wrap around her body.
 
“Going somewhere, my love?” Naraku asked. “I don't recall giving you permission to leave.”
 
Bankotsu's eyes widened. He didn't know what to do now - but he was fairly certain that whatever Naraku had in store for the real estate agent, it wasn't good.
 
“Sango! Watch out!” Miroku yelled as he jumped towards her. Naraku had used their distraction with his capture of Kikyou to slip another tentacle towards Sango. Miroku was in the air and unable to change his direction as another one whipped out and wrapped around him, yanking him to the ground.
 
“Miroku!” Sango screamed as she ran towards him and started trying to pull the tentacle free, which only resulted in becoming trapped herself. “Kirara, no! Don't you get trapped, too!” she ordered the fire cat that had transformed and was coming for her. “Stay out of their reach!”
 
 
They were all interrupted when they heard, “Looky at what I found!”
 
“Souta! Mama!!” Kagome cried out. “You were supposed to stay in the house!”
 
“What happened to the man that was supposed to be guarding them?” Sango questioned, still fighting to loosen the grip Naraku had on her.
 
“We shot him,” Jakotsu said, as if he were stating the obvious. “He was such an easy target. But we caught this one when he was trying to sneak out of the back window. I guess he doesn't follow directions very well.” Jakotsu held the struggling Souta captive while another man held onto Mama.
 
“If anyone makes a move, kill them,” Naraku said, indicating the mother and son.
 
That stopped InuYasha in his tracks. He was about to use the newly discovered transformation of his sword to cut Sango and Miroku free. Instead, he stepped back next to Kagome to keep her from rushing towards her mother and brother.
 
Sesshomaru's mother offered, “I wasn't going anywhere.”
 
“You don't care that I killed your son?” Naraku laughed.
 
She shrugged her shoulders in response.
 
Bankotsu's eyes widened. “That's just cold.”
 
During all of this, Kohaku had not moved from where he had been standing, though they suddenly realized that he now had an axe in his hands.
 
 
To be continued…
 
 
*************
Shishi - Japanese Lion Dogs (also known as Temple Dogs or Foo Dogs)