InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Overcoming the Past ❯ Traveling ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own it. If I did, Sesshoumaru-sama and Kagome would end up together.

Warning: May be lemon in later chapters. (Nothing now though)

'…' Indicates thoughts

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~ *~*~*~*~*~

Last Time:

Sesshoumaru was appalled at what Kagome told him. 'Inuyasha actually chose that walking corpse over this beautiful priestess, who had followed his faithfully for years? He truly is a fool among fools. Poor Kagome; I can sympathize with her. Father chose that human whore and their bastard son over my mother. Mother committed suicide shortly after because she was not strong enough to live on, so I live and suffer in her place. I wonder if Kagome will try to die as well. I cannot let that happen a second time just because of Inuyasha. I will protect this girl . . . Kagome.'

This Time:

Sesshoumaru gently lifted the exhausted miko into his arms, bridal style, and rose to his feet. His eyes displayed nothing of his intentions or his inner turmoil. He could tell she was nervous. Her eyes were wide and her breathing was forced.

"W-what are you doing?" Kagome whimpered. Sesshoumaru did not grace her inquiry with a response. Kagome attempted to struggle out of the taiyoukai's grasp, but he just tightened his grip slightly.

"Do not move. Your body is at its breaking point. You might inflict further injury upon yourself," Sesshoumaru coaxed her. When she heard the gentleness in his voice, Kagome immediately relaxed in the demon lord's arms. Sesshoumaru immediately took to the air, fly as swiftly as he could to his home.

Kagome yelped slightly when they first began their airborne journey and clung to Sesshoumaru's tail. [A/n: I really don't think it's a tail 'cause when Sesshoumaru transforms into his true form, it's still on his shoulder. However, for the story it IS his tail.] Sesshoumaru looked down at her stoically and she blushed a deep crimson color, but still kept a death grip on his tail. Kagome gasped when the furry tail wrapped itself around her body, introducing a newfound warmth and comfort. She slowly relaxed and allowed sleep to claim her once again.

^*^*^*^*^

Sesshoumaru watched with halfhearted amusement as the young miko clung to him as if he was her lifeline. He looked down at her, wordlessly willing her to loosen her painful grip on his tail. He felt a sense of satisfaction as he watched her cheeks turn crimson, knowing that he was the cause. As the wind nipped at her skin, he took note that she was shivering from the cold, so he decided that it was better for him to be uncomfortable than for the weakened girl to freeze. Therefore, Sesshoumaru did the first thing that came to his mind. He wrapped her snuggly in his tail, hoping to provide some warmth for her frail human body. He watched as she eventually got comfortable and drifted off into a deep sleep. Listening to the steady rhythm of her heartbeat, the taiyoukai allowed himself to become lost in thought.

'What will I do when Inuyasha inevitably comes to reclaim this maiden?' he wondered. 'It's not as if I have any claim over her. I am surprised that she even allowed me to help her. It was a wise decision on her part, but on mine I am uncertain. My reputed character in youkai society is already being called into question because of Rin. Will I lose allies over this? I will not be questioned. Anyone who dares to defy me or question my decision to help Kagome will meet with my poison claw!' Unknowingly, Sesshoumaru had begun to growl. The vibration of his chest caused Kagome to stir in her sleep. The demon lord immediately calmed down and stilled, allowing the young woman in his arms to return to a deep slumber.

^*^*^*^*^

That evening, Sesshoumaru arrived at his dwelling place and gently nudged the sleeping bundle in his arms awake. Kagome stirred and mumbled something that sounded like 'sit boy' before cuddling the taiyoukai's tail and returning to her dream. Sesshoumaru sighed exasperatedly and shook the girl again, but more roughly than the last time. Kagome's eyes snapped open and she quickly rolled out of Sesshoumaru's grasp and onto the stone floor with a thud. She winced in pain and glared up at the person who had just dropped her, ready and willing to yell at them with profanity that would put Inuyasha to shame. The words died on her lips as she stared up at the Demon Lord of the Western Lands, who was calmly wrapping his tail around his right shoulder.

"Where am I?" Kagome inquired shakily. Sesshoumaru graced her with a stoic stare.

"You are at the entrance of my home, which is located in the heart of my lands," he answered passively. Kagome paled at the newly acquired information.

"I'm in the Western Lands? With you? Why?" Sesshoumaru narrowed his eyes at the priestess.

"I brought you here to help you heal after the baka hanyou broke your heart, or have you already forgotten?" he replied icily. Kagome tried to suppress her tears at the bitter memories of Inuyasha's betrayal, but they came anyway, running down her face as if they would never stop.

Sesshoumaru knelt down and wrapped his arms around her in a heartfelt attempt to relieve her of her pain. Kagome leaned into him and wept into his chest. He rubbed her back gently and whispered quiet reassurances in her ear. Soon her sobs became sniffles. Sesshoumaru slowly pulled away and looked her in the eye.

'She looks so lost,' he thought as he wiped the tears from her face with the sleeve of his haori. Kagome tried to smile at him, but it ended up as more of a wince. Sesshoumaru felt his heart constrict.

'You are in so much pain, yet you still wear a smile. You are very strong, Kagome. It is admirable.' The taiyoukai helped said miko to her feet. He turned toward the fortress he called home and sent her a look that clearly demanded that she follow. Kagome looked up at the fortress and allowed her mouth to drop.

'This is Sesshoumaru's home? It's a castle!!! Yet . . . it's well protected by its surrounding and its design. It's a fortress as well.'

Sesshoumaru stopped and smirked when he saw her reaction to his home. It pleased him that she was impressed. For once, he was actually thankful for the grand castle that his father left him upon death.

"I see you approve," he purred. Kagome snapped back to reality and blushed, again, closing her mouth in the process.

"It suits you, Sesshoumaru-sama," she replied boldly. Sesshoumaru chuckled at her reply. Kagome paled at the sight and sound.

'Sesshoumaru's laughing? Well, he is being nice to me, too. What's going on here?' she wondered. Soon, Sesshoumaru's chuckles grew into rich, full laughter for a short while before ebbing away, and he replaced the slight smile with his calm façade.

"Come," he ordered. She watched him warily. "I will give you the grand tour of my humble abode!" the taiyoukai added amiably.

"Who are you and what have you done with Sesshoumaru, the Lord of Ice and the Lands of the West?!" Kagome interrogated, still not trusting him. 'Even though he is being so kind to me . . . I can't bring myself to trust him. He is Inuyasha's brother, after all. Well, Sesshoumaru does seem to want to help me, and I have no where else to go now that I have no Shikon Shards with me.' With that in mind, Kagome strode up to where Sesshoumaru was standing and followed him inside the castle, her new prison and her new escape . . .

tbc . . .

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~ *~*~*~*~*~*~

a/n: This chapter kinda sucked and didn't have a point really, but I just wanted to get Kagome to the Sesshoumaru's home where I can write some more angst and romance. Please r/r!

Sunstar-1217: To be honest, I have never written anything with lime or lemon, but I will give it a try later on in this story ^-^.

Frozen Rain1: I am glad you like angst because, as of right now, I plan on having lots of it until it transforms into romance.

Cindy: What's gonna happen next? Don't ask me, I'm only the author ^_~! I will try to update every day or two, but I don't know what'll happen when school starts. Please keep reading my fic!

Please R/R!!!!!