InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Overcoming the Past ❯ Analytics ( Chapter 17 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Inuyasha and Co. (But I do own Nika, Yukio, Katsuga, Yukino, Tsukino, Reiha, and Hana ^_~.)

'…' Indicates thoughts.

"…" Indicates words.

Overcoming the Past

Chapter 17:Analytics

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ~*~*~*~*

Sesshoumaru found Kagome sitting on the edge of an ancient fountain in the deepest area of his mother's secret garden. Yukio and Nika were wandering aimlessly while they waited for Kagome to gather her thoughts and compose herself. He sighed inaudibly as he watched her sulk in her confusion; it was depressing to say the least. The taiyoukai wanted desperately to bring the young woman comfort, but did not dare disturb the ethereal peace that had touched the clearing. He made a move to retrieve his cousins and leave, allowing the young maiden a moment alone. In his carelessness, he stepped on a dry twig and it snapped, echoing throughout the garden and calling unwanted attention to his person. Nika and Yukio immediately stopped flirting and looked in his direction, only relaxing from their battle stances when they recognized his scent and aura. Kagome also turned her attention to him and smiled with a welcoming gesture. If she had been surprised by his appearance, she hid it well.

"Sesshoumaru...do you remember when we first met?" The youkai thought for a moment and nodded, slightly disgusted at the memory of his actions in his father's grave. "Tell me what you remember. It is such a vague blur to me." He remembered very well when he had attacked her and Inuyasha, losing his arm in the futile attempt to gain Tetsusaiga. It had been mortifying to be bested by a hanyou and a human girl, and at first he declared it a fluke. Yet when he thought it over after each and every lost battle, he gradually realized what a formidable opponent the miko truly was. It was she who was able to draw Tetsusaiga from its resting place. It was she who gave Inuyasha the power and courage to wield it. It was her arrow that shot through his until then impenetrable armor... Sesshoumaru had gradually begun to respect his opponent, and so his attempts to gain Tetsusaiga had grown more frequent; it was no longer about the sword, but about the woman who was able to master it without any knowledge of doing so...she had become his greatest obsession way back, most likely the very moment she first stood to face him, Tetsusaiga in hand, and yelled at him for attacking her.

"I was a taiyoukai and you were a human wench that was clinging to my despised hanyou half-brother in my eyes. What more is there to say?" Sesshoumaru's short response drifted with an annoyed tone to the young miko's ears. Kagome smirked at his answer, knowing he was uncomfortable by the way he became arrogant refused to elaborate.

"I see..." she began. "Is that your complete analysis of our first meeting?" Sesshoumaru nodded warily, not sure what she expected from him. "I can't say the same. When I first met you, I knew you were someone of great importance and pride. You were elegant, which suggested a well-rounded upbringing. Your speech was eloquent and decisive... 'He's a leader,' I thought. When you assaulted Inuyasha, it was quick and ruthless; you were a great warrior, not uncommon among nobility. Your desire for Tetsusaiga told me you were not mentally confident with your own abilities as they were at the time, and you wanted to ensure that your responsibilities weren't taken away from you. They way you attacked Inuyasha led me to believe that you disliked the hanyou, but the fact that he remained alive was a clear sign that you didn't hate him enough to rid the earth of him. It also told me that there was a history behind the two of you and his parents that made you hate humans because you were very quick to spit out insults at me and his mother alike. When you took your true form, I realized the extent of your power and confidence as a man; you didn't feel it was necessary to flaunt your power and prove yourself." She took a deep breath and continued. "But you could only find, with all of your great analytical thinking skills, so little to say about me, Sesshoumaru-sama? I am truly offended and disappointed."

Sesshoumaru just stared at her, his mouth slightly agape at her ability to examine and assess a situation. He fought back the rising blush in his cheeks. It was strange...he should be angry at her, enraged at her successful attempt to humiliate him...but he wasn't. Not at all; he was embarrassed, but not angry. Before he met her and Rin, he would have killed anyone who said such things to him. Now, he couldn't bring himself to feel even the least bit cross with the human who had just insulted him.

"It was a joke, Sesshoumaru. I know that you could have said more if you wanted to. I have a tendency to over-analyze things and blow them out of proportion."

"I was actually impressed with your keen observations, and they were entirely correct, but why are you asking me this now?" Kagome giggled childishly and gave him a look that clearly told him he wouldn't find out for a while before shrugging the question off as if it was nothing. Yet again, Sesshoumaru took no offense at her behavior toward him as a taiyoukai. Her presence seemed to soothe any anger from his mind and heart; it put him at peace. Her eyes and face held such warmth to them when she smiled as she was currently smiling at him. He began to wonder what it would be like for her to smile like that for him, just for him. He wanted to see her smile at him, a true smile that was for him and only him. There was a loud cough and Sesshoumaru realized he had been staring. His head snapped to the source and his gaze locked with a leering pair of cat eyes. Yukio wiggle his eyes suggestively, grinning like a fool, and Sesshoumaru scowled at him. Kagome laughed pleasantly.

<^>^<^>^<^>^<^>

Yukio stood on the balcony of Sesshoumaru's room, watching as the sun dipped below the horizon, his expression serious and melancholy.

"Your wedding is soon, Sesshoumaru. Don't forget who you are. Yukino was insulted by your constant attentions to Kagome and the disrespect that was shown to your grandmother as a result of Kagome's pride. Kagome may be a nice girl, but don't get involved with a human, especially not one with a sharp tongue like hers." Yukio watched Sesshoumaru carefully as he advised the younger taiyoukai. He was greatly displeased by Sesshoumaru's rebellious, unexpected reply.

"Yukio, I don't see what right you have to advise this Sesshoumaru in such personal matters. I refuse to cease my attentions to Kagome on command of someone other than hers. I will not be questioned, especially not by you."

"What is that supposed to mean, Sesshoumaru? What are you implying when you say, 'Especially by me'?" Sesshoumaru glared coldly.

"You are the one lusting after her night and day, not I. Do you really believe me that ignorant? I know that you desire her; I'm surprised that you have not yet taken advantage of her innocence and generosity," Sesshoumaru snapped, allowing his temper to slip from his control. "I have been afraid to leave her in your presence, even with Nika nearby. She agrees with me, I might add, and has been clinging to you since the day you first met the girl. So, don't lecture me about my feelings when you are the one who is nearly overcome with sexual desire for a human." Yukio returned Sesshoumaru's glare and scowled at him angrily.

"Like you are any better! You desire her just as much as I do, but you are too stupid to take advantage of the closeness between you to get what you want! I watched the way you were barely able to restrain yourself time and again when she innocently touched, moved, or even said something a certain way. The evening in the dojo is a perfect example of that! You couldn't keep your hands off her!" Sesshoumaru didn't even try to deny what was said. He silently and gracefully rose from his sitting position at his desk and walked out of his room, slamming the door shut behind him.

Sesshoumaru's eyes widened in shock when he saw Kagome, clad in a white robe holding several bottles of formulas from her time, standing in the hallway across from his room, looking guilty. He eyes met hers and he knew instantly that she had heard the conversation. He looked down in shame and guilt. Kagome must have been disgusted and he quietly waited for her to yell at him, or even just wordlessly walk away. Instead, she smiled and spoke to him with a gentle tone and great compassion.

"I'm sorry..." she began. Sesshoumaru's head snapped up and he stared at her in shock. She was sorry? She hadn't done anything wrong! "I didn't mean to listen in. I was just curious about why you were yelling at each other..." she trailed off guiltily. Sesshoumaru didn't trust his voice, so he remained silent lest he say something more foolish than what had already been said. "You should have corrected Yukio, you know," she told the taiyoukai, feeling a little sorry for him, yet greatly relieved that he wasn't upset at her for eavesdropping.

"You left the dojo before you did anything that might have compromised our friendship. That is one of the reasons I know I can depend on you without restraint. You were in heat, which is something you can't control, and tempted to follow your instincts and desires, but you still put my best interests first. That is something to proud of, not ashamed, Sesshoumaru, and I'm proud of you for that." She smiled at him and began to walk toward the hot springs for her bath. "I'll be going now."

Sesshoumaru stood there and watched her disappear down the lengthy hallway.

'Proud? She's proud of me? For what, nearly taking advantage of her?' He shook his head. 'No, for not going through with it. Still, why wasn't she angry with me for desiring her?'

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *