InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Paper Moon ❯ Peaceful Negotiations ( Chapter 2 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

DISCLAIMER: I don't own Inuyasha.

Paper Moon

Ch.2

By: Lara Winner

……………………… < p>It was a little over a month since the run-in at the coffee shop. Kagome had picked herself up quite nicely and was once again starting to put that bastard mutt out of her mind. It was nearing the end of May. Summer was swiftly approaching and she could feel it in the warm, muggy air. Dusk was falling over the horizon, turning the sky above the New York skyline a contrary shade of indigo. Amidst the sea of deep blue, peaking out form behind the thin vale of clouds, the stars twinkled languidly as if winking to the world below.

Watching the night settle over the city was a good enough excuse for Kagome to take a break from her last minute cramming session. Her final exam of the semester was in first thing in the morning. Being a Wednesday evening she was currently stranded at the small novelty boutique where she worked weeknights. It was a job with decent pay and it gave her time to study when business was slow. For Kagome's needs it was perfect.

Currently there were no customers. It would be like this for the better part of the night so Kagome was taking advantage of it by standing on the stoop, one foot wedged in the door to keep it open so she could hear the business phone. Idly observing the city winding down about her, she felt the first splash of rain that fell from the cloud spotted sky.

Blinking out of her stupor, she turned her gaze upward seeing occasional tiny drops of water reflecting in the beam of the street light. There was nothing like the scent of rain on the wind. Closing her eyes she breathed deeply as a warm breeze circled the air. This reminded her of being a child and sitting in the window watching the rain that fell as it pattered away against the fire escape…

Kagome was just beginning to enjoy the memory when a sudden shrill ringing coming from the pocket of her pants destroyed the visualization. She opened her eyes and let out a disgruntled sigh as she pulled out her cell phone. "Hello?"

"Kagome Higurashi?"

She frowned at the voice coming through over the line. It sounded familiar… "Yes?"

"It's Inuyasha Niijima. I wa-"

She hung up.

Not a second later the small phone in her hand began to ring once again. She glanced at the caller ID noting it said "private" and held the phone a little farther away as if it contained the bubonic plague. Muttering a curse under her breath, Kagome opened the phone and snapped it closed. She was forced to do it twice more before the last thread of her temper snapped.

With jerky movements, she flipped the top and pressed the phone to her ear. "What the hell do you want!?!"

"Nice to hear your fucking voice too!" the hanyou yelled back loud enough that Kagome pulled phone back a bit and could still hear him perfectly. "Will you let me fucking talk instead of hanging up on me bitch!"

"Don't call me bitch!"

"Don't hang up on me!"

"Fuck you!"

"Fuck you too!"

Ignoring the strange glances she was getting from passers by, Kagome snapped the phone closed and moved to press the power button just as the phone began to ring once again. She hesitated. Curiosity, nothing more and nothing less, prompted her to answer and hear what the bastard had to say. Her mind reasoned that it must have been something important for him to keep calling. On the heels of that thought came another. What if something happened? What it involved Sango or Miroku?

Suddenly Kagome heart was pounding as she quickly answered, flustered and getting directly to the point. "Did something happen? Is something wrong?"

The panic in her voice caught Inuyasha off guard. By the hardest he reigned in his temper enough to say, in a somewhat calmer tone, "Keh, what are you talking about? Nothing is wrong."

She blinked. "Oh… well then in that case…"

Kagome snapped the phone closed once again feeling very silly at having gotten herself worried. Then almost expectantly she waited for the phone to ring, only this time it didn't. Frowning, she stared at the phone. Good maybe he'd given up.

Of course she knew it was too good to be true. Simultaneously the heavens opened sending down a torrent of big fat raindrops just as the phone began to ring again. So frustrated she could scream, Kagome stormed back into the boutique and flopped down on the wooden stool behind the counter. Setting the offending phone as far away from her as possible, she dropped her head in her palms and sighed.

"It's going to be one of those nights…" she whispered to the empty store, the mountain of cluttered schoolbooks and still ringing phone. Why wouldn't he give up? Didn't he get the message? She had nothing to say to him. She didn't want to talk to him. He was a complete jackass.

"Oh for crying out loud…"she muttered and grabbed the phone and flicked it open. "Inuyasha?"

There was a pause, then a weary, "Yes?"

"You've got exactly five seconds to tell me what you want and then I'm going to turn my phone off so spit it out! Now!"

He growled, low and menacing. "There is something I need to discuss with you. What time do you get off work?"

"We have nothing to talk about. I thought that was made perfectly clear the last time we were together."

"It's important." The growl slowly dropped out of his voice and she could almost heard him smirk. "Do you really think I would have tracked you down if it wasn't?"

The mutt had a point… which then prompted Kagome to ask suspiciously, "Just how did you get my number?"

This time Inuyasha laughed, though the sound was clipped with tension. "The hard way. First I asked Miroku but he said didn't have his little black book with him. Then I tried to get a hold of Sango but she's was no where to be found. So then I tried hacking into the UNY student directory database, "as if he knew she was going to start questioning he beat her to it, saying, "…don't ask. And then finally I remembered you saying that you worked for Tsubaki so I ended up getting your number from her. It's a good thing you picked up. I was about start calling the shop."

"Why go through all of that trouble?" She asked dumbly.

"I already told you! It's important!" He was exasperated, edgy and if Kagome didn't know better he sounded nervous.

She sighed, rubbing the bridge of her nose. "When I leave here I'm going home to go to sleep because I have an exam first thing in the morning."

"Then I'll come by now. I can be there in ten minutes."

"Don't bother. I don't see what there is we need to talk about."

He ignored her. "I'm on my way. Just stay your ass put."

There was an authority in the hanyou's tone that told Kagome as clear as any words could that he was already pushed past his limit. Her brow wrinkled skeptically, "You're not going to give it up are you?"

There was a simple "No." and then the line went dead.

…………………..

The street was deserted as Inuyasha Niijima pulled the Porsche up to the curb. With a flick of his wrist the turned the key in the ignition. The action effectively halted the gentle purring of the engine and all fell silent, with the exception of the rain pounding the windshield in a cryptic rhythm.

Hesitating, the hanyou raised his dispassionate gaze to the harmless building to his left. Light poured out from the windows washing the steps and sidewalk in a pale glow that was welcoming. All sorts of nick-nacks and figurines littered the window displays positioned to catch the attention of the passer by. The sign above the door swayed in the gentle breeze. It was the scene for a post card, and yet the mundane appearance of his surroundings only made him that much more agitated.

There was so much riding on the next few minutes. If Inuyasha had foreseen that fact that he would run out of options and be forced to come to Kagome Higurashi for assistance, he would have been nicer to the girl. It never hurt to keep your allies on your good side. Unfortunately, in the last three weeks all his perfectly laid out plans had come crashing down around his furry ears. Now all that was left was this half-cocked scheme that could very well blow up right in his face.

But first he had to get the dumb bitch inside to agree to be his accomplice.

Inuyasha knew it was not going to be easy… if he could pull it off at all. The girl was too clever to be easily led about. Her newfound animosity towards him was another hindrance. But that girl had a weakness and it was something he knew exactly how to exploit. Not that he would do anything to hurt her or get her in trouble. As the son of Tao Niijima he had a reputation to up hold, one that needed to remain spotless if he could help it. That meant if Kagome bore any connection to him, her reputation would have to remain tip-top also.

He was stalling.

Inuyasha stiffened, heaving a disgusted sigh at his behavior. This was ridiculous. Steeling his spine for the coming confrontation, he exited the car ignoring the rain that came down in sheets around him, soaking right through his Armani blazer.

As Inuyasha pushed open the door to the boutique, the welcoming jingle of bells had the hanyou's ears pressed against his skull as he fought the urge to wince. With his sharp senses the sound was magnified right along with the scent of cinnamon that filled the air. For the average human both the chimes and the air freshener were easily overlooked, but for youkai… his ears were ringing and his stomach was about to turn from the pungent fragrance permeating the room.

His night just kept getting better and better.

Taking a shallow breath through his mouth, he waited for the seated young woman to look up from her studies. He wasn't expecting her to make this easy on him. He wouldn't be the least bit surprised if he'd wasting his time by coming here. Still, the bitch could acknowledge his presence.

It took patience but Inuyasha gave Kagome another minute or two then rudely tapped his claws against the glass display case that doubled as the counter she was propped against.

"I was hoping you'd get lost," she still didn't look up, "You know, maybe get the hint that I'm not at all interested in anything you have to say."

"I didn't come here to argue Kagome."

"You shouldn't have come at all."

The bitch was deliberately fueling his tempter. It was all Inuyasha could do to bite his tongue and hold back the cruel retort that came to mind.

Kagome didn't seem to notice. "And to think I was actually having a good night until you called."

The game she was playing was obvious. The hanyou tried to let it slide but the deep breath he took nearly made him gag from the sickeningly sweet cinnamon and it was the last straw.

All pretenses of good humor faded as his eyes narrowed dangerously. "Well aren't you a ray of fucking sunshine. Every time you open your mouth all you do is whine. The girl I remember meeting was a pleasure to be around. Now I'm beginning to think you have the personality of a wet mop."

Kagome still refused look up but he took satisfaction in the way she stiffened, her mouth twisting distastefully. "That's rich coming from a callous jerk like you."

Inuyasha wasn't sure what was pissing him off more, the fact that she was flinging insults at him left and right or that she was completely disregarding him as if he were the hired help. The more riled he got the more she goaded him, he was well aware of that. He needed something that would give him the upper hand. He needed control of the situation.

It wouldn't do to give her what she wanted. So leaning against the counter, bracing his weight on his forearm in a nonchalant pose, he strove to taper down his anger to mild annoyance.

A humorless smile curled his lips. "With all the preconceived notions you have of me I'd hate to disappoint you."

"Don't worry, you have being an ass down to an art form." Kagome added under her breath, "that's probably why your fiancée left you…"

Inuyasha heard her words clearly and he clenched his teeth to keep from giving her the worst tongue-lashing of her young life. Instead he settled for calling a spade a spade.

"Oh come off it! I'm not the bad guy here and you know it. Why don't we skip the bullshit and get to what's really eating you."

"And what would that be?" she asked, mildly curious.

"You are just as much to blame as I am sweetheart." He stressed the endearment sardonically for good measure. "And just for the record, if you had said no at any point I would have backed off immediately. But as I recall saying no was the farthest thing your mind."

Very calmly Kagome closed the textbook she was reading. Folding her hands and resting them on the counter in a business like manner, she finally looked up to properly acknowledge the hanyou. For all appearances she was cool and composed but her eyes gave her anger away. The clear gray was darkened with hues of pale blue and they reminded Inuyasha of glacier ice.

"I am now convinced you have the mentality of a child so I'm going to explain this to you as simply as possible. When you have a fiancée or a girlfriend that means you are in a relationship. When you are in a relationship you don't sleep with other people. Are you keeping up with me so far?"

Kagome's patronizing tone was enough to grate on Inuyasha's control like nails on a chalkboard.

But the young woman wasn't finished.

"You were with someone else. We had no right to do what we did and if you had been honest then none of this would have happened. Had I known you were engaged I would have told you to drop dead."

"It wasn't anything you needed to know." Of course the second the worlds tumbled from his mouth, Inuyasha knew he just gave the angry girl another reason to hate him.

"It's very convenient how that slipped your mind as an unimportant detail." She snapped. "My God! You are a total dick!"

The hanyou took a step back and raised his hands placatingly. "That didn't come out right. What I meant to say is that if Kikyo and I had a normal relationship then those rules would definitely apply but this wasn't exactly the wedding of our dreams."

Kagome didn't bat an eyelash.

"Don't look at me like that." Out of habit rubbed the back of his neck. "It was a convenient arrangement between friends… not that I owe you any explanations." He added quickly.

But Kagome wasn't letting him off the hook that easily. Giving him a glare that mirrored his own, she slipped to her feet and took an agitated step forward, folding her arms. "Is that supposed to make it all okay?"

"Well doesn't it?"

He wasn't sure what he said wrong but it obviously did nothing to soothe Kagome's anger. Suddenly Inuyasha was very thankful for the display case between them because he was getting the distinct impression that if she could reach him she would have boxed his ears.

"Are you really that much of an idiot?" When he blinked in absolute confusion Kagome was astounded. "You're missing the entire point. You kept something important from me and that's the same as lying. Because of your stupidity you lied to me and took away my right to make a choice."

There was nothing he could say in defense of that and Kagome knew it. She shook her head sadly. "That never occurred to you did it? Just how selfish are you?"

When she said it like that, complete with hurt tone and solemn expression, Inuyasha felt rightfully scolded. So maybe she was right and he was an asshole for not saying anything about Kikyo. It hadn't seemed like that big of a deal at the time. Maybe it was a girl thing he just didn't understand. Or maybe, and more then likely, he was too used to getting his way and Kagome's feelings had never really crossed his mind.

Inuyasha wasn't a complete idiot.

With a sigh the fight drained right out if him. Stuffing his hands in his pockets, he looked down trying to word some sort of apology and not have it sound sarcastic. Damp, silver bangs were falling in his eyes and his ears were drooping. He had a pretty good idea of how much he resembled a pathetic puppy at that moment.

"Now I feel like shit," he admitted softly, "especially after I kept jumping your case. I didn't realize that's how you felt and if I were you I wouldn't appreciate it either so… Look, I'm not good at this crap and it's not often I admit to being wrong but… for what its worth… I'm sorry."

It was an arrogant, clumsy apology but it was the best Inuyasha could do on such a short notice. Spouting out fancy declarations of remorse was not his style and knowing Kagome, she would only take it as adding insult to injury. The last thing he wanted to do was piss her off all over again.

"That's still not an excuse." Kagome's voice softened slightly. "But I guess it's something."

Bingo.

Sometimes it was almost too easy.

"Yeah well…" he sneaked a glance in her direction to judge his success, "If its any consolation Kikyo ditched me for the pool guy. Talk about a crushing blow to my ego."

The animosity in Kagome's expression was slowly giving way to curiosity. "You sound hurt?"

"Maybe a little." he shrugged. "After all I do care about her. Still, I know her and I should have seen it coming."

That was the truth and it slipped out before Inuyasha realized what he'd said. It stung when he thought about it. It wasn't the first time Kikyo had left him high and dry. He knew Kikyo, almost better then he knew himself, and he should have known that he couldn't depend on her. At least not to the extent he needed to. Considering their history he really should have known better.

And now he had Kikyo to thank for putting him in this awkward position.

All this bonding was just peachy but it really was time they got down to business. He had come here for a reason. It was time to broach the subject he had a feeling would start World War III right here in this little novelty shop. The best thing to do was get this over with quickly. Before Kagome could ask anymore questions the hanyou decided to lay his cards on the table.

"Enough about that mess." He smiled, brushing it off dismissively. "I came here to talk to you about something else."

"Okay?" Kagome wasn't all smiles but her attitude had thawed considerably.

This was it. Now was going to prove if he was truly as manipulative as Sesshomaru said he could be. Everything depended on Kagome's decision so he was only getting one shot to say the right thing and play the right emotions. Their original hostility had put him at a disadvantage, but judging by her sparked interest he was gaining ground quickly. It was too early to be optimistic, but there was a slim chance he could get her to agree.

That slim chance was all he needed.

Adopting his brisk, professional persona he decided to approach this as he would a profitable business deal. In essence that's all it would be, a simple arrangement that could financially benefit them both in the long run. Flashing Kagome his winning smile, he dropped the sale's pitch.

"If I could offer you a temporary job that would earn you five million dollars, would you be interested?"

"What's the catch?" the dubious look on Kagome's face matched the tone in her voice, "Come now Inuyasha, what do you take me for? An offer like that always has a catch."

Kagome was a very clever girl.

He stifled the urge to rap his claws against the counter out of neurotic habit. "You are right. There is something in particular you would have to do for me in return."

"And that is?"

"You would have to marry me." It took everything in him not to wince.

Stunned silence filled the air between them until Kagome blinked and then laughed uneasily. "You're joking right?"

Oh how I wish I was… "Do I look like I'm joking?"

"Actually you look a little green around the gills…" taking note of the glare sent her way she sobered, "Okay, so let me get this straight. You are going to pay me to marry you?"

"Yes."

"Why?"

"Because I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place." He sighed in frustration. "Five years ago my father kicked the bucket and left my older brother as power of attorney over all of his assets. That includes my share of the inheritance. By the stipulation in the will I can't touch my half until I'm married or I turn twenty-five. Till then my brother has me by the balls."

Kagome frowned thoughtfully. "You'd don't seem to be in dire circumstances from my point of view."

"That's because Sesshomaru is generous as along as I kiss his ass. I have to ask permission to live my own life like a fucking kid. I get a crap paycheck even though I bust my ass for the our father's company, I am not allowed to take my seat on the board of directors, and I can't even take advantage of being a stockholder because my shares in the corporation's stock are under Sesshomaru's advisory. There is no way in hell I can put up with this shit for another five years."

"Maybe your brother will change his mind once you get your degree?" Kagome offered.

"I already have my degree."

Mild surprise registered in Kagome's expression but she made no comment. She was still regarding him thoughtfully, as if debating if he were genuine or not. It was time to turn up the notch on the sympathy bid.

"The only way I get control of my life is if I get hitched. Kikyo was willing to help me but…" this time he did wince, "You know how that turned out."

"Right, so I guess that makes me pan b."

"Don't look at it that way, instead think abut the money. If you agree I'll make it well worth the trouble. I'll have the means to compensate you and you'll never have to work for the rest of your life. All you have to do is act like my wife for appearances sake."

"But we would have to have a real wedding." she pointed out. "We would legally be husband and wife."

"Only for six months or so. After that I'll take care of the divorce, we'll both get our money and everybody's happy." He smiled persuasively, "What do you say?"

It would have been nice if Kagome were feeling compassionate but as Inuyasha luck would have it, at that moment she was not particularly sympathetic to his cause.

"Absolutely not."

The girl had him going and for a moment there he had thought she was actually considering his proposal. Of course the stupid bitch was more than likely still hung up over the word marriage.

Determined, he tried again. "Do you realize what I'm offering you here? This is a once in a lifetime opportunity."

"Inuyasha..." she spoke seriously, without a hint of sarcasm. "When I get married I want it to be because I love the person and I plan to spend the rest of my life with them. If I were to agree to this then I would be making a mockery of what is supposed to be the turning point of my life."

"Feh! You really believe that rubbish?"

Kagome stiffened. "Someone as heartless as you wouldn't understand."

"No I get it. You're one of those people who refuse to see reality for what it is. Take a good look at the divorce rate in this country. That should tell you a thing or two about true love. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice concept but love isn't going to pay the bills or take care of you when your husband decides he to run off to Tahiti with his secretary."

"Or in your case the pool boy?" she countered angrily.

Inuyasha blinked. "Touché."

Ignoring Kagome's stony glare, he kept going, "I'm not trying to piss you off but I don't think your seeing the big picture." He made wide motions with his hands in emphasis, "What are you going to do about college? Do you think it's possible to work and keep your grades up when your classes will only get more difficult next semester?"

Inuyasha knew he made a valid point when Kagome looked away. She was weakening so he persisted. "Five million dollars is a lot of money…"

"No!" she shook her head firmly as if the action would block out the sound of his voice. "I'm not agreeing to this. It feels wrong. We would be lying to everyone…"

Inuyasha rolled his eyes. "That is inconsequential when compared to what you could gain-"

"No means no so take your money and go to hell!" Opening her textbook, Kagome turned her attention to the book in obvious dismissal.

Reaching in his back pocket, Inuyasha pulled out his wallet and removed a small slip of paper. Placing in the counter beside her book he smirked. "Here's my number. I'm sure once you've had more time to consider my proposition you'll change your mind. I expect to hear from you."

"Goodnight Mr. Niijima."

Kagome's frigidness had returned and Inuyasha was nearly dizzy from the thick fog of cinnamon in the air. Even he knew when to retreat. Without a backward glance he made his exit into the stormy night. He smiled despite the rain coming down around him, soaking his hair and clothing.

Kagome would call.

He was sure of it.

…………………………& #8230;

A.N. - I'm taking votes… should Kagome marry the bastard or just kill him? ^_^