InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Paradox: The Power of Letting Go ❯ Ruby Red for My Love ( Chapter 14 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Disclaimer: InuYasha is owned by Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan Inc. and Viz Media.
I also don't own Gor-Tex (well, just the jackets, not the company). Story and all original characters created are owned by me.
 
 
 
Ruby Red for My Love
 
-x-x-x-x-
 
 
 
Hours later, Kagome awoke to moonlight flooding the bedroom. She listened to the slow, steady pulse vibrating against her cheek as she lay in the protective arms of the man she lovedpressed against his heart.
 
 
 
-x-x-x-x-
 
 
 
Hin-karakarakara. The haunting bird song of the Japanese sparrow warbled throughout the forest as the sun shone brightly overhead in a vast expanse of cerulean blue. The quiet serenity of the deep woods was suddenly interrupted by the hum of a sports car engine as it raced its way towards Tokyo.
 
“Kagome, will you stop staring at me?”
 
Kagome giggled at InuYasha's chagrin look. “I can't help it. You're just so cute when you're human.”
 
“Keh.” A slow, heated blush appeared on InuYasha's face.
 
“You blush a lot more when you're human.”
 
“Kagome…”
 
She grinned as she ignored his warning and continued to admire his profile. Dressed in a button down sport shirt and dress pants, InuYasha wasn't cute; he was downright sexy. Granted he was sexy in any form, hanyou or human, on any given day, but put him in the driver's seat of a Porsche Carrera GT convertible with the top down and his hair whipping around his shoulders, and he was damn sexy indeed. Attractive, alluring, erotic, titillating, so damn hot … these racy thoughts flashed through Kagome's mind as her arousal grew.
 
Reaching out, she grasped a lock of his black hair and slowly twirled it around her fingers in a slow, provocative manner. “You're pretty hot, InuYasha.”
 
InuYasha slanted her a look and smirked. “Keep that up, Kagome, and we'll never reach the city,” he warned.
 
Kagome's uninhibited laughter filled the air as she reluctantly let go of his hair. Taking a deep breath to control the exhilaration of her heart, she turned her attention to the passing scenery.
 
They had left InuYasha's place five minutes ago, and it was already past noon. They had a hard enough time leaving the bedroom, much less the house, but somehow they managed to get dressed and finally made it into his garage. When InuYasha started to usher Kagome into his car, she had stopped and wishfully looked at his motorcycle parked beside it.
 
He adamantly refused to take his bike, no matter how much she pleaded and cajoled. Although, for an instant, he almost gave in when she turned her doe eyes on him and her lips went full pout. Then reasoning came back and he shook his head. He refused to let her on his bike without any proper shoes and certainly not in the pair of sandals that she had borrowed from him — sandals she could barely keep on her petite feet.
 
InuYasha had jokingly offered to let her ride something else, and instead of the smart retort from her that he expected, she turned amorous eyes his way. Well, that was all the encouragement he needed. In the end, they didn't leave the garage until thirty minutes after they had entered it. The motorcycle didn't end up moving, but it did take them for a ride, with InuYasha laying on the bike seat with his back to the handlebars and Kagome straddling him. In the end, Kagome got her ride on the bike, just not in the way she had originally intended. Nevertheless, it was one helluva ride.
 
Kagome arched her back and yawned. Her thoughts turned to her pretty cocktail dress, now a pile of black and white rags in InuYasha's living room. And I only got to wear that once. She sighed and buried herself deeper into the jacket she was wearing which smelled like its owner: earthy and masculine.
 
InuYasha couldn't keep the silly grin off his face. He had Kagome back in his life. His Kagome. He was just so damn happy. He had the woman he loved beside him, and he wasn't going to let her go — not this time. His brow furrowed at the thought. No, he won't lose her again. He would do anything to keep Kagome anything.
 
He slanted a look at her. If it wasn't for the drawstring on the sweatpants she borrowed from him, the pants would have pooled at her ankles. As it was, they still hung low on her hips no matter how tight she cinched them. The oversized white t-shirt, the smallest one he had, hung on her and his grey hoodie literally dwarfed her small frame. She was adorable.
 
InuYasha continued to watch her out of the corner of his eye as she snuggled up in his hoodie like it was a blanket. He suddenly had the overwhelming desire to be that jacket, wrapped around her body. Damn, now I'm jealous of my hoodie.
 
His eyes narrowed with concern as she shifted uncomfortably against the red leather seat. “You okay?”
 
Kagome turned and gave him a bright smile. “Yes, I'm fine. I never felt better.” The truth was that she was tired more than a bit sore but she was so blissfully happy.
 
InuYasha turned his head and their eyes met warm caramel brown with smoky grey. A slow smile graced his lips, and Kagome couldn't help but stare at his full, sensuous mouth. She watched as the smile curved into a smirk.
 
I don't care how sore you are. Keep looking at me like that, and I'm stopping this car right now.”
 
For one split second, Kagome was tempted to take him up on his offer. With a two-seater convertible, the possibilities were endless and downright enticing. Stifling a sigh she was getting pretty sore she reluctantly tore her gaze away from his mouth and looked up at his bemused expression.
 
He quirked a brow at her as if he knew what she was thinking.
 
A slight pink tinged her face. Shaking her head slightly, she turned her attention to the notebook and pen that lay on her lap, trying to ignore InuYasha's husky chuckle.
 
InuYasha surreptitiously watched Kagome for a few more minutes as she bowed her head over the notebook, her face scrunched up in concentration. “What are you doing?”
 
Kagome absently tapped the end of the pen against the notebook. “Hmmm… I'm just making a list of supplies that I need to take with me.”
 
“What's on the list?”
 
As Kagome went through her notes, InuYasha listened intently, nodding and interjecting suggestions. He perked up when she mentioned ramen. “Make sure you pack a lot of ramen. I mean a lot.”
 
Kagome giggled and looked thoughtfully at her list. “I have so much to take with me. How am I going to carry it all?”
 
He flicked a glance at her. “Don't worry, you'll have help.”
 
Kagome stared at InuYasha, but he kept his eyes straight ahead. “How long do I stay in the Feudal era?”
 
“Ah… why do you ask?”
 
Kagome didn't notice the slightly guarded tone of his voice and shrugged. “I need to know what to pack and how much time I have to get the youkai DNA back.”
 
“One week,” Yash said quietly as thoughts churned in his mind. One week.
 
“Oh. Then I can take a small refrigeration unit. It'll have to be battery powered…” Kagome's mind wandered to the supplies that she would need to extract and store the DNA. Perusing through her list again, she didn't notice the frown appear on InuYasha's face.
 
The hanyou was lost in thought as memories, long buried and forgotten, surfaced. It'll take us two days to get to Sango's village and another two days to the butterfly colony. It took us longer to get there because of that thunderstorm ...
 
“Pack that Gor-Tex jacket of yours. It's waterproof, right?”
 
“It is,” Kagome answered absentmindedly.
 
“Take those fleece clothes that you have. It's going to rain a lot, and it'll be cold at night.”
 
“Hmmm… okay.”
 
We have that run in with the cranes
 
“Where's your bow?”
 
“At Mama's.”
 
“Don't forget to take that and extra arrows.”
 
“Okay.”
 
Then we drop Shippo off at the Kitsune Temple...
 
“Pack some paint brushes.”
 
Kagome looked up surprised, but didn't even question that statement. “Oh, okay. I was going to take crayons. Should I bring some paints too?”
 
“Make them watercolour paints. He really gets into that and starts experimenting with his colours.” He paused and then said, “Forget the crayons. Take some pastels instead.”
 
Kagome nodded and wrote down `art supplies for Shippo'.
 
Miroku and Sango come back with us to the village and that'll take another three days. It was late afternoon when we got there. We used Kaede's old hut and it was cold because we had to start a fire right away … InuYasha suddenly tightened his grip on the steering wheel as a thought occurred to him. “Shit!”
 
Kagome looked up in alarm. “InuYasha, what's wrong?”
 
“Kagome, when are you planning to go through?”
 
“Ah - it won't take me long to gather my supplies. Kaz can get all the lab supplies together while I go shopping for the rest. It should only take a day to get ready.” She lowered her brows in concern. “Why? What is it?”
 
A deep sigh escaped the hanyou and he said evasively, “I just remembered something that I have to do.” Glancing at her, he said, “Kagome, gather the supplies that you need, but don't do anything else. Don't go through the well yet.”
 
Worry lined her face. “No, I won't — ”
 
“Good. Don't tell Sesshomaru just yet either. Wait until I get back, and I'll go with you to talk to him.”
 
What's going on, InuYasha?” she blurted out.
 
InuYasha turned and took in her bewildered expression, and his gaze softened. Kagome, just trust me, okay? Don't worry. It's just something I need to do. I'll drop you off at your apartment and you can get changed. I'll meet up with you later, and we can talk, okay?
 
Kagome nodded, but concern still clouded her eyes. She caught her lower lip between her teeth as she stared at him.
 
“Everything will be all right,” he reassured her. His mouth lifted into a tender smile as he reached over to take her hand, raised it to his lips, and placed a gentle kiss on the back of it. His voice was soft with emotion when he said, I love you.”
 
Kagome's breath caught in her throat as she looked at him. The tension was slowly easing out of her. “I love you, too.”
 
Not letting go of her, InuYasha curled his fingers around hers and rested their hands on his lap. They were still holding hands as they pulled into the parking lot a few minutes later.
 
Stopping in front of the apartment building, InuYasha slid out of his seat and walked over to open the door for Kagome. As soon as she stepped out of the car, he pulled her into his arms and brushed his mouth softly against hers. “I'll see you later.”
 
Kagome tugged at his locks and pulled him closer for a deep, lingering kiss. They broke away a few minutes later, breathless. “Okay, see you later.”
 
InuYasha caressed her cheek gently, and with a parting look he turned and got back into his car.
 
Kagome watched as InuYasha maneuvered the titanium coloured roadster out of the parking lot and sped away. She continued to stand there moments after the car left her sight.
 
 
-x-x-x-x-
 
 
 
Yash put the aerodynamics of his sports car to good use as he sped through the streets of Tokyo. Parking in front of an affluent brick building in the downtown core, he went straight into a corner store. This was the only establishment that he trusted for his personal items. After all, the owner, Yoshikazu, was a former pupil of Totosai, the famed swordsmith who forged Tessaiga. Yoshikazu had learned the ancient art of craftsmanship from Totosai and had put that talent to good use, branching out from sword making to other more modern items over the centuries.
 
After describing to the proprietor exactly what he wanted, and paying extra for the expedited delivery, Yash was assured that his purchase would be delivered in two days.
 
Sighing with relief and clutching his receipt, he leisurely strolled back to his car and drove back to the Takahashi building.
 
 
 
-x-x-x-x-
 
 
 
Kagome paced the inside of Yash's office, glancing worriedly at the wall clock. It's been over two hours, where the hell is he? Her mind churned with apprehension as she waited anxiously for him to return.
 
The door opened and the hanyou walked in.
 
“InuYasha! Where have you been?”
 
“I had something to do,” he said vaguely.
 
“Well, I knew that. Where were you?” Kagome demanded, confusion radiating off her slim body.
 
He shrugged and walked over to this desk. He leaned against it and crossed his arms and ankles. “It was just an errand.”
 
Kagome sighed and bit her lip. When InuYasha was being evasive, there was no way to get him to talk he was just too stubborn. From his stance and the way he shifted his eyes away, she could tell that he was hiding something from her. She had a feeling she knew what it was: the very same thing that was bothering her all afternoon. She didn't know how to broach the subject. Finally, she said, “InuYasha, stop being so stubborn and talk to me.”
 
She looked at him imploringly, mentally begging him to say something. When he just stared at her through his bangs, she took a deep breath. Stubborn hanyou, fine, I'll start. She began hesitantly, “InuYasha, when I go through the well Miroku and Sango will be there… and you…”
 
InuYasha held his breath. He knew what she was trying to say, and he knew he couldn't avoid the subject anymore — they were running out of time. Weighing his words carefully, he said, “Kagome, listen to me. When you go through the well, it'll be the last time you'll ever see Sango and Miroku. You have to say good-bye.”
 
Kagome licked her lips. “Say goodbye? I-I don't go back?”
 
“No,” InuYasha said softly, trying to cushion the pain he knew she would feel.
 
Kagome closed her eyes briefly. Deep down, she knew that this would be the last time she would cross the well, but hearing the confirmation from InuYasha's lips was hard to bear. Taking a deep breath and slowly exhaling, she tried to calm the turmoil curling in her stomach. “Oh… o-okay… and you, InuYasha… what about you? D-do I… do I say goodbye to you?” Her throat went dry as she thought about the implications of going back through the well for the last time. She watched InuYasha stiffen, and she searched his face for any clues of his emotions.
 
InuYasha gave a ragged sigh and looked away. “I'm going to try to convince you to stay….” His voice trailed off, then continued a little more than a whisper, “But you can't stay. You have to leave.”
 
Straightening up, he went to stand in front of her. He placed a finger under the chin and turned her face upward to look at him. His voice became stronger and more purposeful as he said, “You can't stay. Do you understand me?”
 
At Kagome's blank stare, he repeated more forcibly, “Do you understand me?”
 
She nodded numbly.
 
“Kagome, I mean it. You have to let me go in the past, so that we can have a future together here in the present. Do you understand?”
 
“But… but…” Kagome trailed off, her eyes widening with comprehension and she gasped, “That's why you were so angry. All along, I thought it was because I had moved to Canada and left you, but that's not it at all. I came back through the well and left you again in the Feudal era.” She swallowed the lump in her throat as hurt seeped into her eyes. “Why didn't you tell me?”
 
A knot settled at the pit of InuYasha's stomach at her wounded expression. He wanted to tell her the truth to erase the pain that he saw on her face, but he knew that he couldn't — not yet — and that fact weighed his heart with guilt.
 
He pulled Kagome into his arms and held her against his chest. “Kagome, I couldn't tell you. The last time I saw you was in the Feudal era, in my past. How could I tell you if it hasn't even happened for you yet? It's my past, but in reality, it's still your future.”
 
“What did I do, InuYasha?” Kagome persisted tremulously, afraid to hear the answer, yet she had to know.
 
“I can't tell you.”
 
“InuYasha!” Kagome wailed in his arms.
 
“Kagome, please,” the hanyou pleaded. “I can't tell you because it might change the way you do things, the way you say things, and the way you'd react. And we can't change it because it'll change everything we have here and now.”
 
Drawing a tattered sigh, Kagome shakily pulled out of his arms.
 
InuYasha reluctantly let her go and waited anxiously for her to look at him. He stood crippled by sorrow and guilt as he watched Kagome's shoulders slump with dejection. Don't hate me, Kagome.
 
With downcast eyes, Kagome's lips began to quiver as she stammered, “I-I left you and I be-betrayed you, and you… you ended up h-hating me.” Kagome began to weep.
 
“No, Kagome.” InuYasha's voice was firm as he cupped her cheeks in his hands, soothing the tears away with his thumbs. He tilted her head up and looked into her eyes. “You didn't betray me. You didn't. It was me. I betrayed myself. I'm so sorry, Kagome. I'm so sorry.”
 
He gathered her into his arms and held on tight, softly repeating, “I'm so sorry” into her ear.
 
She clutched at him until his words pierced through her tears. “W-what do you mean?”
 
InuYasha rested his cheek against her hair and closed his eyes. “For me to keep you in the present, I had to let you go in the past.” His voice turned soft as he said, “How's that for irony?”
 
“Oh, InuYasha, this is all so confusing!” Kagome buried her head against his shoulder and tightened her arms around his waist.
 
Gripping her tightly in his arms, he whispered into her hair, “I know, this is so fucked up.”
 
They stood there in silence, each trying to find strength in each other's arms.
 
InuYasha's chest heaved against her cheek as he drew a deep breath. She felt him place a kiss on her head before he said, “Kagome, promise me one thing.”
 
“Anything,” she muffled into his shirt, her emotions slowly getting under control in his warm embrace.
 
“Promise that you come back to me in this time. No matter how much my younger self pleads and begs you, you have to walk away. Just jump into the well and leave. Come back to me, Kagome. Do you understand?”
 
She looked up, tears still brimming in her eyes. “Oh, Kami, InuYasha, you're asking me to break your heart.”
 
“Kagome, listen to me. It happened in my past, and I survived it. I'm here with you now. This is the way things are meant to be. We both needed to grow up. I couldn't love you the way I do now. I couldn't provide for you in this time, with no education and no skills. Hell, if I didn't live through the past 500 years, I'd probably still be walking around in my red haori.”
 
Kagome giggled at the mention of his fire rat robe and was horrified at herself for finding humor in such a dire situation.
 
InuYasha, heartened by her giggle, persisted, “Is that what you want, Kagome? Me walking around wearing my red haori with Tessaiga on my hip, not being able to understand your time or provide for you and our family? Or do you want me now, 500 years later, part owner of the largest company in Japan who understands the time we live in?”
 
Kagome stepped back and lowered her eyes. Staring at his pristine black loafers, she moved her gaze slowly up his body. She took in his black pants that were snug enough to outline his muscular legs and the red shirt that sculpted his firm, taut chest. Unconsciously licking her lips, Kagome slowly met his amber gaze.
 
Yash smirked slightly at her. “Guess you want me now, huh?”
 
Kagome smiled through her tears. “I want you any time.”
 
 
 
-x-x-x-x-
 
 
 
The pair met with Sesshomaru with Kagome doing most of the talking, outlining her plan to go back to the Feudal era. Sesshomaru simply listened, interjecting a question now and then, but in the end he could find no fault with the course of action. He gave his approval. Kagome stated that she would be ready to leave at any time and shot InuYasha a questioning look when he told her — two days — give him two days.
 
 
 
-x-x-x-x-
 
 
 
They stepped out of the inner offices after their meeting with Sesshomaru. Walking out into the hallway, InuYasha noticed the temperature drop as he and Kagome walked past Amara's desk.
 
“Oh, Mr. Takahashi,” cooed the wolf youkai. “Mr. Kato wanted to meet with you.” She batted her eyelashes at the hanyou.
 
InuYasha felt Kagome tense up beside him. Slanting a glance at her, he felt cold fury radiating from her. Shit. His eyes narrowed perceptively as he gave a brief nod. “Thanks, Amara.”
 
Lacing his fingers through Kagome's, he led her to the elevator and punched the button. As they waited, he turned to the woman standing stiffly beside him and startled her by pulling her against his chest. Holding her close, he gave her a reassuring grin and whispered softly enough to seem romantic, but loud enough to be heard by a youkai, “I love you, Kagome,” before giving her a passionate kiss. He ended the kiss when he heard the chime of the elevator door.
 
Kagome stared up at him breathless, surprised at his sudden show of affection. She was in a daze as InuYasha pulled her into the elevator.
 
He smirked as, out of the corner of his eye, he saw the enraged look on the secretary's face.
 
Once inside the elevator, he pulled Kagome close to him. His one hand was pressed against the small of her back while his other hand raked through her hair. He lowered his head and began to kiss her again, gently at first and then deepening the kiss as he molded her body against his. They continued their make out session, giving the wolf youkai quite a show, before the elevator doors closed.
 
“Stupid, human bitch,” growled Amara.
 
“I would be careful of what you say.”
 
Amara shot straight up in her seat as Sesshomaru regarded her with narrowed eyes from the doorway. The inu-youkai continued, “I consider her a Takahashi, and I don't take kindly to any derogatory remarks made against my family. Do I make myself clear?”
 
Amara gulped and meekly nodded. “Yes, Mr. Takahashi. I'm so sorry, sir.”
 
Sesshomaru regarded her with cold eyes. “I think it would be best if you were no longer working up here. Pack up your things, and report to the clerical division on level three.”
 
“But —” She abruptly swallowed her words at the glare she was given.
 
“We will no longer require your services at the executive level.” Sesshomaru turned to head back into the office. “And Amara,” he waited until he had her full attention, “make sure that you treat Kagome with the utmost respect. If I hear otherwise, you will regret it.”
 
With that the inu-youkai swept back into his office, leaving a very humiliated and humbled wolf in his wake.
 
 
 
-x-x-x-x-
 
 
 
Yash sat at his desk staring at the small box he held in his hand. Absently stroking the soft, smooth texture of the velvet, he finally opened the lid. A platinum ring sat in its center — the three perfectly cut rubies, flanked by diamonds on both sides, sparked bright under the lights. The ring was a feminine version of his own platinum transformation ring.
 
Yoshikazu had just delivered it that morning.
 
He picked up the ring and slowly twirled it around his index finger.
 
This was the root of his anger for so many years: the ring that was on Kagome's finger, sparkling bright by the fire in the Feudal era. Kagome's words echoed out through the centuries: I'm marrying the man of my dreams … Who would have thought that she was talking about him?
 
The ring that symbolized her love for another man, and fueled my bitterness and despair for so many years, was put on her finger by my own hand. He smiled ironically — such a little thing that had caused such unbearable grief.
 
He put the ring gently back into the case. He would give it to Kagome tonight. After all, she was planning to go through the well tomorrow morning.