InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Paradox: The Power of Letting Go ❯ What Things Will Be ( Chapter 18 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Disclaimer: InuYasha is owned by Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan Inc. and Viz Media.
Story and all original characters created are owned by me.
 
 
 
What Things Will Be
 
-x-x-x-x-
 
 
 
Two months later
 
 
Sesshomaru Takahashi was pleased.
 
The inu-youkai sat in his office with his elbows resting on his desk and his hands folded beneath his chin. He briefly skimmed the youkai scientific journal in front of him.
 
Media Release from the Department of Youkai Sciences: The Takahashi Group once again demonstrated their leading status in youkai research. During its press release the Group announced its revolutionary new hanyou concealment charms. Sources state that production on the new charms will begin in ten months. However, the Group has yet to confirm this. The youkai community is ecstatic over the news and unofficial orders have been pouring in
 
Lightly tapping the desk with his clawed finger, Sesshomaru thought about the press conference that they had held three weeks ago.
 
Kazuki and Kagome had sat center-stage in front of the media as they demonstrated the new prototype concealment charm. Sesshomaru, Yash, and Gourou had been seated beside them providing additional support, but it was really Kazuki and Kagome's time to shine and they didn't disappoint.
 
The flashing of light bulbs and the barrage of questions did not fray the nerves of the two scientists as they calmly explained the new concealment technique. They effortlessly deflected and dodged any questions on how the charm was actually made. They would never divulge the fact that they were using butterfly youkai — youkai that had been extinct for over two hundred years. They fiercely guarded their secret and would continue to do so.
 
After two hours of intense scrutiny and questions, the conference ended and was deemed a success by the Takahashi Group's marketing department. As soon as the news was released to the youkai world, the accolades and acclamations had immediately begun pouring in. Production on the charms would begin early next year, but that fact did not stop all the unofficial orders and enquiries that came streaming in. Kagome and Kazuki's hard work and efforts had paid off — the Takahashi Group was once again at the forefront of youkai research and the two project chairs were recognized as the leaders in their field.
 
Shortly after the conference took place, Takumi Matsumoto had approached Sesshomaru with the news that he would be stepping down and handing the reigns to his eldest son. With Takumi retiring and Kazuki's older brother taking over the helm of the Matsumoto Corporation, Sesshomaru decided that it was time for some corporate restructuring, mainly the handling of the hanyou science division. After a meeting with the Board of Directors, it was decided that the main hanyou division be relocated to Japan leaving the Matsumoto Corporation to concentrate its efforts on other youkai studies.
 
Kagome, of course, was offered the position of lead research chair of the new division. Her initial enthusiasm waned when she discovered that the department had been designed for one project leader. She had pleaded with Yash that she could not run the lab by herself and that she desperately needed a partner. He had suggested a number of good scientists, much to her chagrin. Yash knew exactly whom Kagome wanted, but he wouldn't budge. In fact, he had told Sesshomaru, in private — out of the miko's hearing range — that “no fucking way is that bastard going to work with my Kagome anymore. Ship him back to Canada.”
 
Sesshomaru had merely let Yash rant his frustrations. He figured that Kagome would be able to change his baka brother's mind. He was right in his assumption as the very next day, the hanyou surprised him when he came into his office and grudgingly agreed to make an offer to Kazuki. Kagome had stood beside Yash with a wide smile gracing her lips.
 
Sesshomaru had briefly wondered exactly what Kagome had promised Yash to get him to change his mind. His curiosity was further piqued when Yash had turned to Kagome and said that she could start paying him back by going for a ride later. Now why she blushed so much when Yash mentioned a ride on his motorcycle was beyond Sesshomaru.
 
He shook his head and turned his thoughts to yesterday's meeting and how the negotiations had taken place or had almost not taken place.
 
Kazuki working for the Takahashi Group almost never came to pass as the two hanyou nearly came to blows during the meeting. Yash had declared in threatening tones that while Kazuki could work with Kagome, there was no way in hell that he could touch her. Sesshomaru had actually rolled his eyes as Yash adamantly stated: touch Kagome and die. In which Kazuki promptly laughed out loud and said that he could touch his lab partner any time he wanted.
 
Sesshomaru could barely contain his brother as the snarling hanyou lunged at Kazuki. Kagome glared at her research partner and punched him in the shoulder to stop his laughter and taunting remarks. The two hanyou then commenced to engage in a war of words. Finally exasperated, Kagome had quietly, but firmly, made a comment to effectively shut the both of them up.
 
Sesshomaru had silently contemplated whether or not it was such a good idea to have the two hanyou working so closely together — although he trusted the miko to keep them both in line. What did Kagome say the problem was? Ah, yes, “Male testosterone in overdrive. Worse, Male hanyou testosterone in overdrive.”
 
Sesshomaru flicked a glance at the employment contract that sat next to the journal. Kazuki had signed it just that morning.
 
He leaned back and rested his elbows on his black leather chair. An audible sigh escaped his lips.
 
Yes, life at the Takahashi Group will be interesting indeed.
 
Sesshomaru Takahashi sat in the solitude of his office and with no one around to see him, he did a very rare thing — he smiled.
 
 
 
-x-x-x-x-
 
 
 
A/N: December 28/08
This chapter was not in my original storyline, but it's been added in to wrap a few things up. Thanks so much for reading! ^_^