InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Paradox ❯ History Rewritten ( Chapter 1 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: Don't own any of the Inuyasha characters nor am I making any dosh from my incessant ramblings, so please don't sue the crazy woman ~ okay?

Paradox

Chapter 1: History Rewritten

It was finally over.

Gazing bleary eyed around the corpse strewn battlefield, Kagome wiped a weary hand across her brow, grimacing at the gritty feeling of her grime covered face. She was beyond exhausted, her legs trembling slightly from the effort of remaining upright. Her bow hung limply from her left hand, the muscles in her arm aching terribly from having fired an unknown number of arrows. The quiver on her back pulled heavily at her shoulders even though it was now empty.

Inuyasha was a few yards away from her, bent down over a pair of dusty red hakamas and a white haori, his eyes wet with unshed tears. Kikyo had finally been laid to rest, her clay and bone body destroyed by one of Naraku's tentacles. It happened not long before the final fight ended and the affect her second death had on Inuyasha had nearly cost them the battle. Naraku had seemed particularly intent on finishing off the reanimated miko, concentrating his attacks on her as she sent one purifying arrow after another into the writhing mass of tentacles composing his body. As she swiftly depleted her supply, Naraku had waited for the opportunity to strike. When her hand reached back one last time to grasp nothing but air, he had struck with a vengeance.

The tentacle had pierced her body through the stomach, the grotesquely twisting appendage gleefully breaking her body apart and scattering her remains to the wind. The souls which had been trapped inside had floated eerily up into the air before disappearing in tiny flashes of blue. The small portion of Kagome's soul providing Kikyo with the ability to live had slammed fiercely back into the younger girl's body, sending her flying backwards to land heavily on the ground.

Inuyasha had cried out in anguish, his eyes flashing red as he yelled, "Kikyo! No!" Distracted by the sight of Kikyo's rapidly crumbling form, Naraku had lashed out with another tentacle that threw the hanyou into the trunk of a nearby tree, temporarily knocking him unconscious.

Hearing Inuyasha's tortured cry, Kagome had risen slowly to her feet, her steely blue eyes filled with grim determination. With the remaining portion of her soul returned to her, she could now feel the hatred which had driven Kikyo for so long and her heart clenched painfully in her chest. Notching another arrow to her bow, she had allowed that rage and hatred to flow through her as her body began to glow a vibrant purple. Pouring every ounce of her being into the projectile, she had aimed at Naraku's chest, offering a silent prayer that her aim would be true. Taking a deep breath, she had let her arrow fly.

Iridescent purple light had formed around the speeding arrow, turning into a comet tail of brilliant energy. The arrow had struck Naraku just below his right breast, sinking deep into his pulsating flesh. The hanyou had screamed in agony as the purifying light engulfed his body, turning muscle and bone instantly into ash. The completed Shikon no Tama which Naraku had swallowed to increase his power fell harmlessly to the ground, the jewel pulsating darkly with the fading remnants of his evil will.

It was towards this that Kagome found herself inexorability moving, the irresistible pull of the stone's power calling out to her. She could feel the evil aura still clinging to it, the energy having an almost oily quality as it slid along her skin. When she was a foot away from where it lay atop a small pile of ash, she stopped, warily staring at the jewel which gleamed wickedly as if taunting her. Her attention fully captured by the small stone, she nearly jumped out of her skin when Miroku suddenly spoke beside her.

"Kagome-sama? Are you all right?" Turning her head to meet the monk's deep purple gaze, Kagome offered him a weak smile while nodding her head.

"Umm, I guess. Just a bit tired." Her voice cracked as she spoke, belying the calmness which she was trying to affect in her tone.

Miroku gave her a considering look before turning his attention to the Shikon no Tama lying near their feet. The evil aura surrounding the jewel was making him lightheaded and he didn't dare to touch it, knowing that he would be unable to stave off its corrupting influence. Kagome was the only one who could purify the lingering traces of evil; yet, she seemed hesitant to touch it as well. Clearing his throat, he said, "Ah, perhaps we should remove ourselves from this place and set up camp for the night. Sango's injuries need to be tended as well."

Again nodding her head at his suggestion, Kagome mechanically reached for the Shikon no Tama and was relieved to see the color change from the sickly black to a muddy brown before brightening to a soft pastel pink. Holding the warm crystal in her hand, she could no longer detect Naraku's taint on the stone; instead it filled her with a calming energy that quieted any concerns she might have had. Dropping the jewel into the pocket of her skirt, a genuine smile lit her features as the reality of the situation sank in.

It was finally over.

+++++

Sango was in pretty bad shape, but fortunately, none of her wounds were life threatening; although it would be a while before the taijiya was hoisting her Hiraikotsu around. Her right leg was broken and she probably had some cracked ribs from when Kirara had been knocked from the sky by one of Naraku's tentacles and they had fallen against a boulder. Miroku and Kagome were able to set her leg with some splints and bandages from Kagome's first aid kit. While Kagome finished dressing her remaining wounds, Miroku and Shippo went to gather more wood for the fire and hopefully some food.

Inuyasha had disappeared into the forest an hour ago with Kikyo's clothes and Kagome watched him go with sad eyes, presuming that he was going to bury them and say his final farewells. Her only other companion at the moment was Kouga who had decided to stay the night with them rather than make the long journey back to his clan's den. The wolf demon had proven to be loyal to their cause and offered his valuable assistance even after he had given up his shards to reform the jewel. Kagome considered him a dear friend and she was glad to have his company as she cared for the taijiya.

"What are you going to do now, Kagome?" His deep voice carried softly across the clearing to her and Kagome paused in wrapping the bandages around Sango's torso to consider her reply.

They had waited so long for this day to come, wondering how it would all end and now that the moment was here, she really wasn't sure anymore what she wanted to do. The most likely scenario would be that she would return to her time and continue to live her life as she had before she came to the Sengoku Jidai. As much as she wished that she could stay here with her friends, and more importantly with Inuyasha, she knew that this wasn't her true time and she would eventually have to return to the present permanently.

Pasting a smile on her face, she replied with forced cheeriness, "I guess I'll go home first. My family is probably worried about me since I haven't been back in over six weeks and I'm sure that I'm so far behind at school that it will take me all summer to catch up."

Kouga could see the pain glimmering in her eyes and felt his own heart tighten as she tried to pretend that her heart wasn't breaking. He had seen the way she kept glancing in the direction Inuyasha had gone as she treated the other girl and he could smell the saltiness which permeated her normally sweet scent. Her eyes were red rimmed and puffy and he wondered if she had been crying when she left the camp earlier to attend a call of nature. And while she had technically answered his question, she hadn't given him the answer he wanted most. He needed to know if she was going to stay with her friends or Inuyasha. If she stayed with her friends, maybe, just maybe, he might find a way to win her over from the inu-hanyou.

Kouga was just about to ask Kagome if she would elaborate on her answer when Sesshoumaru swept silently into the clearing. Having put aside his feud with his younger brother, the taiyoukai had become an unexpected ally since his hatred for Naraku far outweighed his feelings for his sibling. Drawn willingly at first into the fray with Naraku's scheming to pit brother against brother, his attitude had changed significantly after he reluctantly adopted the young human girl he had revived with Tenseiga. Rin had been a powerful influence in changing his outlook towards the human race in general and without the advantage Sesshoumaru's presence offered; the balance would have been decidedly tipped in Naraku's favor.

Casting cold, golden eyes over the tableau of the wolf demon attempting to attract the undivided attention of the young miko, Sesshoumaru barely contained his snort of disgust. He had seen enough in the past few weeks to know that the wolf was helplessly infatuated with the human woman who didn't seem to notice his presence when his idiot brother was around. Sesshoumaru knew his brother reciprocated the miko's feelings, but Inuyasha was about as eloquent in expressing his emotions as a bull parading through a china shop. The girl would probably die of old age before the hanyou got up the courage to tell her how he felt. At least the wolf had the confidence to speak of his feelings, although his frequent, sickeningly sweet declarations of love usually turned Sesshoumaru's stomach.

Striding purposefully over to a large oak tree, he gracefully sat down, settling his back against the trunk, and calmly watched the unfolding drama with a healthy measure of cynicism. The miko was busily working on cleaning the numerous cuts and scrapes the taijiya had suffered, her teeth worrying her bottom lip as she concentrated on the task. She was obviously giving the wolf demon only half an ear as he began speaking again.

"Will you come back after you see your family?" Kouga tried to keep his tone even, but there was still a slightly pleading note tingeing his words.

Paying closer attention to the wound she was cleaning, Kagome vaguely replied, "Umm, probably, I'm not sure when though."

Unsatisfied with that explanation, Kouga's impatience prompted him to get up from his seat on the other side of the fire to go crouch beside Kagome, his shoulder brushing hers lightly. When she didn't acknowledge his presence, he exasperatedly caught her hand, forcing her to stop what she was doing and look up at him in surprise.

Blue-gray met startling blue as Kagome felt a lump develop in her throat. Kouga's gaze pierced her as he clasped her hand to his chest. Taking a deep shuddering breath, he whispered, "Kagome, I need to know if you are coming back or not."

She knew what he was asking her, but she also knew that she couldn't promise him something that could never be. Not even for Inuyasha could she stay in the Sengoku Jidai and that thought alone was enough to bring fresh tears to her eyes. With a hoarse cry, she flung herself into his strong arms and sobbed wretchedly, "Kouga-kun, I don't want to go. I don't want to leave everyone, but I can't stay in this time. It's impossible."

Startled to find a weeping Kagome clinging desperately to him, Kouga could only hold her awkwardly as her body shuddered with each hiccupping breath. Uncertain what he should do, he rubbed slow circles on her back in an effort to soothe her suffering. A delicate cough alerted him to the fact that the taiyoukai was bemusedly watching the exchange and above Kagome's head, Kouga fixed the arrogant inu youkai with a hard glare.

Sesshoumaru's face remained impassive and only a fractional narrowing of his eyes indicated that he was displeased by the wolf demon's impertinent behavior. The only reason he tolerated the wolf's lingering presence was because he provided some entertainment when he and Inuyasha engaged in a round of insult trading that would eventually cease when the miko `sat' the hanyou. That little trick of hers had supplied Sesshoumaru with a great deal of amusement these last couple of weeks and he enjoyed watching his brother's face being ground into the dirt on each occasion.

However, as much as he delighted in seeing his obnoxious brother taken down a peg or two by a slip of a human, now that Naraku was gone, there really wasn't any reason for him to remain with the motley group either. He had duties which needed to be seen to and obligations as the Lord of the Western Lands that he could no longer neglect. Yet, his prevailing curiosity about a certain member of their party had him delaying his own departure.

Outspoken, obnoxiously stubborn and with a temper that could rival Inuyasha's, the miko was a mystery that puzzled him greatly. She didn't dress like any human he had known and her absurd clothing bordered on being scandalous. The short green skirt and white blouse were well made, obviously sturdily constructed for they withstood quite a bit of wear and tear, and far removed from the yukatas or kimonos most women wore. The material's color also didn't fade despite repeated washing and when she had recently returned from a brief sojourn home, the clothes had smelled of some strange chemical he didn't recognize.

Her medicines were also quite unusual. She had explained the various uses of a tiny white pill she called `as-pir-in' and how it was a staple in many medicinal treatments. There were also several kinds of ointments and creams which she said helped prevent infection and allowed the wounds to heal faster. In contrast, for a miko, her knowledge of herbs and herbal remedies was sadly lacking and the monk had been the one to concoct the tea which eased the taijiya's pain and put her to sleep so they could set her leg.

Then there was her monstrously oversized, yellow pack which, aside from the hard box in which she carried her strange remedies, housed an array of foreign objects he had no way of possibly identifying as well as a seemingly never ending supply of Inuyasha's favorite food, ramen. Packaged in hard little containers made from a material similar to the medicine box, she would simply add hot water to the dried contents and in minutes a steaming noodle soup was ready to be consumed. He had been reluctant to ingest such strange food, but had eventually forced himself to eat it mainly to stop the miko's incessant pleading that he should try it, and was surprised to find that it was actually rather appetizing, though he would never admit that to her.

Furthermore, her level of education was surprising since most humans, and many youkai as well, did not consider learning to read and write a priority and women were certainly not encouraged to take up such lessons. If not for their father's insistence, neither he nor Inuyasha would have bothered with acquiring such skills. He remembered how her brow would furrow in concentration as she painstakingly copied complex equations onto a piece of paper and then attempted to find their solutions.

Lastly, there were the brilliantly illustrated books which she read from each night before drifting off to sleep. Books were luxuries only a small percentage of the population had access to and they were usually found in the houses of high ranking lords and on occasion, in the larger, more prominent temples. That she could afford so many lavishly printed texts intrigued him, particularly since she was forced to travel on foot most of the time. She also had that strange metal cart, but she had forgone using it as their journey had led them to areas which were not easily traversed by the bizarre contraption.

When the miko's weeping subsided after a few minutes and she embarrassedly began to extricate herself from Kouga's embrace, Sesshoumaru decided he wanted an explanation as to what she had meant when she said she couldn't `stay in this time'. That simple statement had said far more about her than her odd behaviors and unusual possessions combined. He had also sensed that her power was far greater than the other miko's had been and he wondered if this stemmed from some secret about her origin.

Sitting back on her heels, her face tearstained and flushed with embarrassment, Kagome gave Kouga a watery smile as she apologized, "Gomen, I didn't mean to put you in such an awkward position."

Kouga grinned at her in a way that said he hadn't minded at all and would have backed it up with words if Sesshoumaru's icy tone hadn't cut in. "Why can you not `stay in this time', miko?"

Taken aback by Sesshoumaru's unexpected question, Kagome opened her mouth to speak but managed only a squeak from her suddenly constricted throat. Realizing she must look ridiculous with her mouth hanging open, she snapped it shut again with an audible click as she attempted to formulate a suitable reply. Inuyasha and the others had warned her to not speak about the well to either Sesshoumaru or Kouga as they didn't know how the demons would react to the news that Kagome was from the future.

As Sesshoumaru continued to stare at her with an indecipherable expression on his face, Kagome was worried that he might try to force her to answer. Since Inuyasha, Miroku or even Shippo hadn't made it back yet, Kagome didn't know how long she needed to stall and began to stammer in an attempt to placate the taiyoukai, "Uh, actually, I probably meant to say that I couldn't `stay this time'. I guess it came out wrong."

One of Sesshoumaru's delicately arched brows rose slightly, indicating he didn't believe that for a second, while Kouga was giving her a skeptical look as well that said he had caught her gaffe. Wringing her hands before her, Kagome hedged, "I mean, I have to go back because I belong with my family now, at least until I finish school."

That was slightly closer to the truth and Kouga relaxed a little, probably reaching his own conclusion that once she finished `school' then she would be able come back. Sesshoumaru, on the other hand, sensed a deeper meaning from her choice of words. He knew the girl's feelings for his brother were strong and if she had the choice, she would certainly remain with the hanyou. However, she said that she `belonged' with her family, again inferring that she was not supposed to be here in the first place. He would have liked to learn more, but the rising wind informed him that the monk and kitsune were returning and would soon reach the camp.

Releasing the miko's anxious gaze, he smoothly gained his feet and headed towards the tree line; exiting the clearing a scant second before Shippo came bounding through the underbrush followed a few moments later by Miroku.

"Kagome!" Racing across the grass, the fox demon leapt into the miko's waiting arms, a delighted laugh escaping her lips as he snuggled against her shoulder. Sticking his tongue out at Kouga whom seemed a bit dejected at having his time alone with Kagome interrupted, Shippo began excitedly relaying how much food they had been able to get from a nearby village. While he spoke, Kouga opted to follow Sesshoumaru's lead and disappeared into the forest.

Absently stroking the kitsune's tail as she listened to his banter, Kagome felt a pang at how much she was going to miss the little demon. He had become more than just a friend; she saw him as a little brother and it pained her to know that she was going to hurt him terribly when she left. He had lost so much during his young life and she hated adding to his suffering. Feeling close to tears again, she valiantly swallowed the knot of emotion which was threatening to set her sobbing.

Miroku seemed to sense her distress and called Shippo over to help him prepare the meat for cooking. As the fox demon bounded off her lap, Kagome decided the best thing she could do was to keep herself busy and her mind off her impending departure. It would be a couple of days before they reached Kaede's village and from there, the well. Smoothing her hand over Kirara's head as she lay curled against Sango's side, Kagome set about finishing wrapping the last of Sango's injuries. Satisfied with her efforts, she gave the fire cat demon one last pat which earned her a soft purr in response before lying down on her sleeping bag for a brief rest until dinner was ready.

++++

Inuyasha roughly shook her awake as another dawn edged its way along the horizon. They would reach Kaede's village later that afternoon and she would make her wish on the Shikon no Tama before she leapt one last time into the Bone Eater's well. Rubbing the sleep from her eyes, Kagome yawned loudly as she sat up to greet the morning.

The company had been rather subdued these last couple of days as everyone came to grips with the fact that their adventure was now over and each could go on with their lives. Miroku's kazaana had started to shrink and he said he could feel the power lessening a little bit, though it would probably be some time before the air void disappeared completely. Everyone had expected it to vanish immediately upon Naraku's demise; but apparently, the curse worked itself in reverse exactly how it had advanced, slowly.

Sango was improving as well. Inuyasha and Miroku had fashioned a makeshift pair of crutches after Kagome had explained their function and the taijiya was now somewhat mobile, but her greatest challenge lay not with her physical injuries. Fate had cruelly allowed Kohaku to die twice in his sister's arms and both times she had been unable to do anything to save him. Kagome's heart went out to her friend and she fervently wished that there had been some way she could ease her suffering.

As it were, the taijiya stayed fairly close to Miroku and the monk was showing admirable restraint as he comforted her as best he could. In a way, they were kindred spirits. Each had lost everything they held dear to one man and fate had conspired to set them on the same path to seek their revenge. As tragic as their lives had been up until now, there was some small reassurance that the future would be brighter for both of them and they seemed inclined to approach that future together.

This left Kagome lamenting her own future; one that was devoid of the people she had come to love so much. Inuyasha had come back late the other night after interring Kikyo's remains in some secret location, ensuring that no one would ever again disturb her rest. Since then, he had been withdrawn and moody; his mind preoccupied with his own thoughts which he seemed unwilling to share with anyone. Kagome had tried to talk to him a couple of times, but the hanyou had stubbornly refused to answer her queries and resorted to insulting her just so she would leave him alone.

Watching Kagome slowly rise from her sleeping bag, Inuyasha was struck by how beautiful she looked even at this ungodly early hour. Her black hair mussed slightly from her sleep hung half over her face; eyes half-lidded as she gazed sleepily around the campsite. Raising her arms above her head, she stretched languorously like a cat, the action pressing her softly rounded breasts forward in a provocative display. Swallowing hard at the appealing picture she made, the hanyou attempted to hide his rising arousal with a sharp rebuke. "Oi, wench, do you think we can leave before the sun is high overhead?"

Definitely not wanting to hear his insults this early in the morning, Kagome smiled with saccharine sweetness as she drawled, "Inuyasha…."

He instinctively flattened his ears against his head at her tone, dreading what was coming next.

"SIT!"

Slamming painfully head first into the ground, Inuyasha mumbled a few choice curses into the dirt as he waited for the spell to wear off. His humiliation was increased tenfold by the sound of both his brother and Kouga snickering at his predicament.

Why the hell both of them were still hanging around was beyond him. Even with his not-so-subtle hints that they had overstayed their welcome, neither youkai seemed inclined to leave. As mobility returned to his limbs, he pushed himself up off of the ground to see his least two favorite traveling companions smirking wryly as he dusted himself off. With a muttered `keh', he stalked over towards the tree in which he had slept last night and leapt up into the lower branches to sulk as the others set about breaking camp.

A half hour later they were ready to depart and Kagome was safely riding on his back for what would probably be the last time. Inhaling deeply, Inuyasha savored the scent which was uniquely hers. Cinnamon, vanilla and a hint of cherry blossom blended together to create an intoxicating aroma that had the power to sooth his very soul. How he could have ever compared her to Kikyo was unimaginable now. To him, she was simply Kagome, the woman who had somehow worked her way so deeply into his heart that the thought of losing her was almost unbearable.

Inuyasha felt his heart give a tiny stutter at the thought of not seeing Kagome again. He had tried to avoid thinking about her leaving and in the end had thought about nothing but that. As much as he wanted her to stay; as much as he needed her here with him, he knew she had to return to her time. He had been fooling himself for so long that she didn't have to leave; that they would find a way for her to live here and the two of them could be together forever. Reality had then rudely intruded on his little fantasy.

She wasn't from the same time as him. She belonged in the future with her family, friends and that infernal school she so desperately wanted to attend all of the time. Her life was there; his was here. The fact that they had met was something that should never have happened in the first place. The time they had spent together was stolen and eventually had to be given back. So, she would go home and…well…that was it.

Kagome must have had some inkling of his thoughts for she squeezed his shoulders tighter as if in reassurance and said, "I'll never forget you. You know that right."

Uncertain what to say in response, he nodded, not trusting his voice to find the words for him. She gave his shoulders another squeeze and lay her head against his back, treasuring their last few hours together.

++++

They reached the village all too soon in Kagome's estimation. After a brief lunch during which they filled Kaede in on the details of the battle and her sister's passing, they could no longer put off the final event which would conclude their journey. The atmosphere was solemn as the long time companions slowly trudged through the rice fields and then Inuyasha's forest towards the clearing where everything had begun.

Tears pricked Kagome's eyes as she spied the Goshinboku and the memory of her first encounter with Inuyasha came flooding back in vivid detail. She unexpectedly giggled as she recalled playing with his ears while he slept the sound drawing Inuyasha's attention to her.

"Kagome?"

His face reflected his concern and his beautiful gold eyes shone with worry. Shaking her head slightly, her lips drew upwards into a smile as she reached out to take his hand in hers. They had fallen behind the others a little and at her insistent tug, they stopped while their friends carried on towards the well. Turning fully to face him, Kagome lowered her eyes to stare at her feet as a blush began to creep up over her cheeks. Poking the toe of her shoe into a little hole in the ground, she began, "Inuyasha, do you remember the day we met?"

Nodding a little, he waited for her to continue which she did, her voice tightening with emotion, "You know, I didn't like you very much back then. I thought you were rude, arrogant and selfish and irritating beyond belief. And then I saw this other side to you. One which you didn't want other people to know you had. You were courageous, strong and you told me you would protect me. I think that was when I first noticed it."

Surprised by her confession, Inuyasha could only stare at her dumbfounded as she went on to explain, "I saw you for who you were and I began to like you for the person you were trying to be. I didn't see you as a demon, a hanyou or a human, although those are all part of whom you are. I saw you as `Inuyasha' and…" She finally raised her eyes to look at him, tears sparkling along her lashes, "and, that's who I fell in love with."

The air left his lungs in a whoosh as her words hit him with a physical force all their own. He had dared to hope that she might feel that way about him and now that he knew for certain that she did, he was elated. Sweeping her into a crushing embrace, he held her tightly against him, his heart thundering madly as his mind raced. He knew he should tell her how he felt, but somehow the words wouldn't come out. His lips remained sealed and in an instant he remembered why he couldn't speak. She was leaving.

Holding her for a few more moments, he set her back on her feet and offered a slightly apologetic smile as he said, "Come on, we don't want to keep the others waiting."

Kagome thought her heart would break at his casual acceptance of her declaration of love. Her cheeks flamed hotly and she averted her gaze from his smiling face, feeling lower than low that she had blurted out her feelings like that. She hadn't meant to tell him, but for some reason, at that moment, she had wanted to. Love had the power to make miracles happen, or so her mother had always told her, and Kagome had thought that it couldn't hurt to have a little faith in such a silly sentiment and believe that he would say he loved her, too. If he had, she might have been able to keep some tiny hope alive that their love would find a way for them to be together.

But that hadn't happened. He hadn't said anything and she felt like an utter fool for thinking that there was something more between them than their being friends. Miracles didn't happen everyday, no matter how hard someone wished they did and love probably didn't conquer all. Disillusioned, Kagome pasted what felt like a mask of happiness on her face, burying her hurt deep beneath that shining exterior and sadly followed Inuyasha as he headed after the others.

The clearing housing the Bone Eater's well opened before them and Kagome's heart shrank even more as the end of her adventures came into view. It would end in the same place where everything had begun. Almost a year had passed since that fateful day she had first fallen into the well and now she had come full circle. She had completed what she set out to do and it was time to move on to what fate had in store for her next. Her life was waiting five hundred years in the future and that was where she belonged.

Valiantly trying to appear unfazed by the whole affair, she knew she was failing miserably as twin trails of moisture flowed unchecked down her cheeks. Hugging each of her friends in turn, her tears began falling in earnest when Shippo began to wail inconsolably, begging her to not go. Kouga was strangely reserved, apparently not fully grasping what was going to happen, while Sesshoumaru watched the proceedings with discerning eyes. Offering the taiyoukai a formal bow in parting, Kagome finally turned to find Inuyasha standing between her and the well, an unreadable expression on his face.

"Are you ready to make your wish?" His voice sounded choked and Kagome could have sworn that his eyes were suspiciously moist.

Nodding, she slipped her hand into the pocket of her skirt and pulled out the completed Shikon no Tama. The jewel glowed briefly with a soft pink light as she held it cupped in her hands before increasing in magnitude until the entire clearing was bathed with the warm color. A humming began in her ears, the sound deafening her to anything else, and she could feel her body grow hot. The volume increased until her entire being was vibrating and she began to lose all sense of her surroundings. While her mind was still cognizant enough to form a thought, she made her wish.

The moment the thought was formed, the ground lurched violently beneath her feet and Kagome felt herself plummeting downwards into darkness. She had no idea which way was up and the disorientation was making her sick to her stomach. As suddenly as the feeling began it ended and she landed heavily on her hands and knees in the dirt, her breath coming in fast, panting gasps. Opening her eyes, which she had squeezed shut to help counteract the sickening sensation falling had evoked, she looked with something akin to horror at the moist, dark earth between her fingers.

A damp, musty scent assaulted her nose, adding further proof that her eyes were not lying to her. Straining her ears, she could hear the mid-afternoon traffic trundling along the road below the shrine and even detected the faint sound of a school bell ringing in the distance. Lifting her eyes warily to look at her surroundings, she confirmed what she already knew.

She was back in the well house.

The well sat to her left, the old wood cover and sealing spells firmly in place as if neither had been removed in at least a hundred years. The door stood ajar and she could see her backpack sitting at the top of the stairs where she must have left it after entering the building. A scuffling noise drew her attention to the darkened area beneath the rickety wooden steps and two golden eyes peered back at her from the shadows. Sitting back on her heels, she called softly, "Buyo, is that you?"

An indignant meow ensued as the multicolored cat streaked across the floor towards her. Butting his head against her thigh, she reached down to scratch behind his ears wondering what in the world had happened to her. Buyo purred in delight at the attention, rubbing himself along her leg. It was then that Kagome noticed her skirt was dark blue and not the green she remembered putting on this morning. Glancing at her shirt, she saw that it too was blue, although lighter in color, and the collar was encircled by a thin, dark blue ribbon tied in a bow beneath her chin. Lifting herself slowly from off the floor, Kagome stared in wonderment at the dark blue knee high stockings and black leather shoes which completed her outfit.

Standing up made her aware of something else entirely unpleasant, her head throbbed mercilessly and reaching up she felt a bump developing on her left temple just inside the hairline. Her fingers felt sticky and pulling them away, she was surprised to see them smeared with blood. Shakily making her way across the room, she began to gingerly climb the stairs when a shadow fell across the door above her.

"Nee-chan, are you in here?" The voice was familiar, but sounded deeper than she remembered it being. Shielding her eyes against the bright sunlight filtering through the slatted door, she squinted to see if her suspicions were correct.

Dressed in a hunter green uniform jacket and matching slacks, the boy at the door was as tall as she was; his long, gangly legs and widening shoulders showing the first signs of an emerging teenager. His chiding brown eyes were unmistakable though as Souta looked down at her with a wry grin on his face. "What are you doing down there, sis? You know Mom hates it when you come in here. Grandpa still gets palpitations when he even thinks about that time you nearly fell into the well."

Nearly fell into the well? The pounding in Kagome's head intensified as she tried to make sense of that. Didn't Souta remember that she went into the well all the time? That she had been traveling back and forth in time for nearly a year to put the Shikon no Tama back together? Didn't he remember Inuyasha and all the times he had come to drag her back to hunt for jewel shards? Swaying slightly from the effort of concentrating, she wondered what in the world was going on.

The teasing look on his face turned serious when he spied the blood slowly trickling down her cheek. Eyes widening, he raced down the stairs towards her. "Damn Kagome, did you hit your head? Are you all right?"

Raising her bewildered gaze to meet his, Kagome finally found her voice. "Souta, what happened? How did I get here? Did Inuyasha bring me back? What's going on?"

A queer expression flittered across Souta's features before he schooled them back into one of concern. Ignoring her questions, he gently prodded the knot on her head, clicking his tongue as he inspected the damage. "You don't appear to have cut yourself too deeply, but Mom is going to pitch a fit when she sees the blood on your shirt."

Grabbing the front of his uniform, Kagome narrowed her eyes angrily as she demanded, "Damn it, Souta, answer me. What happened? How did I get here? Where's Inuyasha? Where's the Shikon no Tama?"

That weird expression appeared again and this time, Kagome recognized it. It was fear. His hands pushing at her shoulders, she reluctantly released her brother's jacket. Raking his fingers through his shaggy brown hair, he sighed heavily before he said, "Kagome, none of that ever happened."

++++

Coming Soon: Chapter 2: Altering Fate