InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Pride & Predjudice: A Sesshomaru Tale ❯ Bullet with Butterfly Wings ( Chapter 12 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Chapter Twelve
 
Bullet with Butterfly Wings
 

        Kagura folded her hands on her desk and studied the man, if he could be called that, sitting across from her. His bright green eyes had an
exotic tilt and were lined in pale blue paint that matched his long hair laying in a puddle about his shoulders. Long pointed ears jutted out from his hair. He leaned forward in the chair reading the loan contract intently.
     
“Hmm…this is a good rate.” He looked up and reached for a pen with long thin fingers ending in perfectly manicured nails that put Kagura's to shame. Dark purple stripes wrapped around his elegant arms.
       
 
Kagura smiled brightly, “Yes it is Burikutonu-sama.”        
 
He was a powerful yokai, maybe even the elusive head of the Tiger family. The whole office had tried to find any reason to be present to get a glimpse of him. Iz had been in twice just to offer him coffee. Thankfully the Taiyokai seemed oblivious so far. Apparently he was used to being waited on hand and foot.
Usually yokai used their own banks and kept to themselves. Inuyasha was an exception and the bank's new policy on embracing ethnic diversity made him their star
golden boy.
 

Two full months had passed since Kagura kissed Sesshomaru on her front stoop. Since that day she'd received many phone calls from prominent members of the yokai community claiming she had come highly recommended. They were known to avoid handling monetary transactions with humans and for them to call her was a great honor. She did not have to ask where they'd heard her name or gotten her card.
 
At first she was uneasy. What if she offended one these powerful families? Soon it was an every day occurrence and this eased her discomfort. Then she was troubled that Sesshomaru might be reaching out to her through her work. But after two months of nothing it was apparent his reasons for sending his peers to her were his own. Now she was thrilled. The old Yokai families were very shrewd and wealthy. Her numbers had never been better and her bonuses never bigger. Things were so good she'd even purchased the silver gilt mirror Kanna coveted for her birthday.
Her sister was driving home that night and Kagura had a big dinner planned. Naraku wanted to attend but she'd pushed him off. I haven't seen her in three months. He can wait a few days before meeting her. He must want to impress me by getting Kanna to like him; thatcan be the only reason he is so anxious to meet her.
 
Burikutonu signed his long name with a flourish of the pen and pushed the papers across the desk to her. The gold hoop on his ear shook with the movement. He is ethereal, like something out of a Midsummer Night's Dream. Is that glitter or his complexion?  He smiled and ruined the fairy image Kagura painted in her mind by flashing four large fangs and rows of sharp teeth.  She nodded her thanks and accepted the closing papers.

Kagura pulled up in her driveway and saw Kanna's tiny 323 Mazda was already parked in front of the house.  She got out of the car and ran up the steps. Her sister was watching TV.
Kagura squealed and pulled her into a tight hug. “I missed you so much! Girl what the
hell have you done to your hair?
Kanna's long hair was pale silver. She'd done her eyebrows to match and the effect reminded Kagura of Sesshomaru. She shook her head. Kanna ran her hands through it as she spun around on the balls of her feet.
 
“I love it so much. Jon did it for me today. I left earlier than I planned and I called Fossil and he found an opening for me.”
“I knew I smelled chemicals on you. Well it's interesting to say the least and it'll be the devil to keep up
with your dark roots. But I guess it's only hair.”
 
Kanna perched her tiny frame on the arm of the couch. “Yeah it's not as cool as a tongue ring though.”
Kagura made a face. “Are you still on about that? If you must do it then wait until you are eighteen when I have no say over it.”
 
Kanna laughed and shook her head. “I'm having you on. That trend is so dead.”
Kagura gave an exaggerated sigh and slid onto the couch cushion. “Thanks the gods for that. Do you have your grade card?”
Kanna crossed her arms over her thin chest “No but I already know I got a 3.5 in calculus. I was so pissed.”
“Oh only a 3.5? Then I guess I'm gonna have to break out the piano wire.”
Kanna laughed. “Yeah well… Naraku told me he had a calculus tutor and still only got a 3.”
Kagura raised a brow. “When did you see him?”
“He was here earlier; he brought us tickets to Carowinds. I think it was supposed to be a surprise. I asked him to come with us and we are on for Saturday. The water park opens this weekend too. It'll be great.”
Kagura leaned forward. “My, that was presumptuous of him.”
“Oh Kagura, he is so fine! I love his hair. You hit it out of the park on this one.”
Kagura replied. “He's really something but I don't want to go too fast. It's a good way to get hurt.” Or left behind in the dirt.
Kanna held out her hand palm out. “Whatever. But I am so the maid of honor. Can I have a black dress?”
Kagura was skeptical. “Black brides maid dresses? I don't think I'll ever understand your taste in clothes.”
Kanna
laughed and flung her self down across Kagura's lap. “People sandwich!” she yelled.
“So much for growing up huh?” Kagura looked down on her face.
Kanna smiled “Yeah well I don't have to do that for at least three more weeks. Hey, how is Sango? Her car hasn't been home all day.”
Kagura stroked Kanna's newly silver hair, pulling it out of her face. “Your auntie Sango has a boyfriend.”
Kanna tried to set up. “Who? Do I know him?”
“You aren't going to believe this but it's Miroku.”
“No freaking way!
Kagura smiled, “Well he asked her and she accepted. Then she threatened his life and he's been back to his normal self for two months now. Actually they are kind of cute.”
“I just can't picture them together.”
“Well apparently Sango felt it was, well her word for it was practical.”
Kanna was outraged. “Love isn't practical. What a ridiculous thing to say!”
Kagura frowned. “But it should be practical, otherwise what else is it?”
Kanna yawned, “That one's easy. Fun.”
**********************************************************
       
        Saturday morning…

        Kagura pounded on the bathroom door. “Kanna! Are you alive in there? Come on already everyone's waiting on you.”
       
Her response was muffled. “God! Just gimme a moment.”
       
“Hurry up!” Kagura turned and went back downstairs wondering how one small trip to an amusement park could turn into a full outing complete with an entourage. Naraku sat in her easy chair with his feet up on her coffee table. She frowned and swatted the back of his head with the newspaper as she passed by. He grudgingly moved his feet.
 
Kagome was rummaging through the fridge in search of bottled water. Sango and Miroku sat together on the couch.  Cept for Kanna the gang's all here!
       
Sango asked, “When was the last time we went to Carowinds?”
       
Kagome leaned in from the kitchen. “I dunno maybe ten years.”
       
Miroku snaked an arm around Sango's waist. “Do they still have that roller coaster you ride while standing up?”
       
Sango shook her head, “I have no idea.”
       
Kagome turned white. “Hell will freeze over before I get on that thing.”
       
Naraku laughed. “Chicken shit.”
     
Kagome pointed at him with Kagura's huge blue and green golf umbrella and stuck out her tongue. “So what if I am. Still ain't gonna happen. These feet stay firmly planted on the ground where they belong.”
       
Miroku accepted the challenge “Lady Kagome we shall have to see about that one.”
       
Kagome growled. “Yeah right, I'm bringing a clove of garlic and that'll fix you.”
       
Sango smiled. “Kagome dear, he's a preacher not a vampire.”
       
“Yeah but he'll still smell really bad.”
     
Miroku grinned, “And so will you.”
       
Kagura dug through her purse, searching for her keys. “No one is bringing garlic bulbs in my car. What is wrong with you people?”

        Miroku noticed her keys lying on the coffee table, reached over and picked them up. He jangled them to get Kagura's attention.
       
“You knew we were crazy when you decided to befriend us.”
       
He tossed the keys to Kagura and she caught them. “Yeah but some of you are more warped then others.”
       
She saw Kagome looking pointedly at Naraku. Kagura hissed in her ear as she passed. “Let it go already. He's not an illegal arms dealer for Christ sakes.”
     
Kagome gave a brave smile. “I know. It's just that he reminds me of Kikyo who reminds me of….”
       
“Yeah I know, there no need to even say the name.” Kagura checked her bag for sunscreen and then walked to the foot of the stairway and yelled. “Kanna we are leaving with or without you in five minutes!”
       
There was no response but Kagura knew she'd heard. Kagura retreated to the kitchen to fill Molly's water bowl. The golden retriever watched her lift the bowl to the sink and fill it with cool tap water.  It was painful to see how much Kagome still grieved for that bastard hanyou. It's been so long and she hasn't even gone out on a date. How can she be so stuck on him when they were only together a mere two weeks? She's obsessed.
       
Molly whined and gazed longingly at the box of Scooby Snacks Naraku had left out on the counter. Sango shook her head. “No girl, you've had two this morning. Can't have you getting fat, what would Dr. Blaes say?”
       
The dog's eyes said the vet could go to hell, but Kagura ignored her and stashed the treats in the cupboard. As she shut the small wooden door she was struck with the idea of sending a box of broken and stale milk bones via the inter-office mail to Inuyasha's new Charleston headquarters. But alas, this would be highly frowned upon by the bank's human resources department and she would no doubt be forced to attend sensitivity training of some sort. Yuck, screw that. But he could do with a nice muzzle, or a good neutering.  Kagura muttered aloud, “Bad dog!”
     
Molly's face fell and she dropped to the floor as if she'd been beaten. Kagura cursed. “Damn it, I wasn't talking to you. I'm sorry girl, you are a good dog. Here.”
       
She pulled open the cupboard and tossed the dog another treat. Molly caught it and trotted off, triumphantly wagging her tail.
***************************************************
Kagura pulled into the parking lot and Sango was right behind her. They parked and climbed out to start the long walk to the gates. Miroku spread his arms wide and announced in his best tourist guide voice. “And welcome to the wonderful world of pavement!”
Kanna giggled and even Kagura smiled. This was the old Miroku and thank God he came back to his senses before they had to kill him.
The tickets were purchased and Kanna and Naraku rode up on the sky tower to see the whole park from the air. Kagome watched and pretended the height didn't bother her. Miroku nuzzled Sango's neck. Kagura watched the car ride up the tower and wished she'd gone with Kanna.
 
The next stop was the Borg Assimilator, a rollercoaster that suspended the riders in the air face down to give the impression of flight. Kagome opted for shopping while the others queued up in line. The wait was a very long half an hour. Naraku and Kanna discussed school. Kagura tried to listen but her attention kept wandering. What's wrong with me? I'm here with Kanna and she only has a little time before she goes to Greece.
 
Her eyes roved the crowds surround the great black rollercoaster rails. A tall man with long white hair caught her attention. She leaned over the rail openly staring until he turned and revealed a very human beer gut. Uk! Kagura scolded herself. Now that's out of my system maybe I can concentrate of having fun.
When it was their turn to ride Kanna rode between Naraku and Kagura. Their seats were at the front of the ride and in Kanna's opinion that made them the best. Kagura wasn't so sure but maybe having the living hell scared out of her would be just what she needed.
As they peaked the first inversion Kagura began to scream. As her lips opened she gave a silent prayer that she wouldn't swallow a bug by accident. She felt Kanna's hand find and squeeze hers as they flew down into the loop.
Of course before they'd even exited the stupid ride Kagome had already purchased the pictures of them riding. Kagura looked cross eyed and Naraku had his eyes squeezed shut. Sango was peaceful and Miroku was screaming and possibly crying. Kagome held up the picture.
“Hey check out the heat seeking missile man! Not so scary after all are ya?”
Naraku frowned. “The sun was in my eyes. Is that a crime?”
 
Kagura laughed, “Only if you were driving.” She took the picture from Kagome. “Those who can, do. Those who can't, buy these stupid pictures and get left behind at the park after it closes.”
 
Sango grinned, “Hey, that's deep.”
 
Next stop was the Hurler, a rollercoaster with a Wayne's World theme. On the way there they passed Fred Flintstone's car. Sango, Kagome and Kagura climbed onto it and did their best pin up car girl poses. Miroku nodded approvingly while Naraku snapped the picture.
The Hurler line was considerable shorter than the Borg line. Naraku left them to buy drinks. Kagome, Sango and Kanna poured over the map looking for the next thing to do.
Kanna shouted, “Oh, we can't leave until I met Sponge Bob.”
Kagome pouted, “Kiddo, aren't you a bit old for that?”
Sango announced, “You are never too old for Sponge Bob Square pants!”
Kagura felt the skin on the back of her neck prickle. For a moment she was aware of every single cell in her body and the people around her moved in slow motion. The outer edge of her upper ear itched and that's when she knew.
Kagura tuned out her friends and slowly turned. In the distance near the Sky Flyer bungee jumping arch stood Inuyasha. He wore a red hat over his ears and was staring at Kagome with an intensity that was almost palatable. That is not the look of a man who wanted to dump his girlfriend.
Kagura pretended she hadn't seen him and tugged on Miroku's sleeve. “Hey I'm running to the ladies room, hit the coaster without me. I'll meet you when you get off.”
He nodded and she slipped away into the crowd. Kagura backtracked around the outer loop of the Sky Flyer sidewalk. She thought she saw a flash of that familiar red but it was a false alarm. She got to the grassy hill where he'd stood and found nothing.
Kagura kicked the slight hill. Damn it. I was so close. But of course is there ever a real man on the grassy knoll? Just paranoid speculation.
She stood atop the hill scanning the crowd. If I can just talk to him maybe I can sort this all out. Kagome can't go on like this and he doesn't look any happier that she does. A throat cleared behind her and Kagura closed her eyes. Why me? Why did I have to come over here and invite trouble?
 
She turned and wasn't surprised to see Sesshomaru only a mere foot away. He wore jeans, a tight white t-shirt and a long green corduroy jacket. The breeze caught his hair and it reached out and brushed her face. He was silent but his eyes flashed with his thoughts. Kagura tilted her head. Every word she'd saved for him these past weeks dissolved on her tongue.
“Kagura, I assume it's a safe assumption your feelings have not changed?”
Her eyes burned and she spat her reply. “You bastard!”
He was momentarily taken aback and Kagura pressed her advantage. “It's enough to insult me but what you did to Kagome and Inuyasha is unforgivable. Must you hurt everyone around you?”
Sesshomaru's eyes narrowed, “I did what was best. I assumed you of all people would understand.”
“What is there to understand? You are vindictive, manipulative and all around horrible.”
His eyes widened. “I'm not sure I know what you are talking about.”
Kagura counted off on her fingers. “You tried to destroy Naraku because he's a half breed and you purposely lost his inheritance. You control Inuyasha and forced him to break my best friend's heart. You insult me at every turn. You're selfish, conceited and vain, I'm not sure there is anything good about you.” Expect for your hair but hey whose counting?
Sesshomaru's jaw twitched. “Destroy Naraku? I should be so lucky. And your human friend is a fortune hunter. She'd set her sights on my brother before she ever knew what he looked like.”
Kagura's rage filled her chest. “Kagome loves him; you are a heartless beast who is incapable of understanding that. Yes she was interested in him before they met. She wanted to meet a good man. No woman can be faulted for that.”
Sesshomaru lifted his head and stared at the cracks in the concrete. He was embarrassed and shocked by the sheer intensity of her fury. He backed up slowly and whispered “Maybe. Who can tell these days?”
Kagura waited but there was nothing more. He turned and walked away. She stood on the grass as her friends and family played in the warm spring sun and felt the tug of winter on her heart.
***************************************************
Notes:
Eliza: From the very beginning, from the first moment I may almost say, of my acquaintance with you, your manners, impressing me with the fullest belief of your arrogance, your conceit, and your selfish disdain of the feelings of others, were such as to form that ground-work of disapprobation, on which succeeding events have built so immoveable a dislike; and I had not known you a month before I felt that you were the last man in the world whom I could ever be prevailed on to marry.” Pride and Prejudice…J. Austin
Mark Darcy: “I realize that when I met you at the turkey curry buffet, I was unforgivably rude, and wearing a reindeer jumper.”(sweater) Bridget Jones's Diary 2001.